Monkey attacks on tourists spark official action

snoop1130

Monkeys attacking tourists sparks official action
Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-249866-0-35248100-1459423928_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Park officials concerned about the changing behavior of macaque monkeys on Monkey Beach have erected signs urging tourists not to feed the wild animals.

“When the monkeys see a tour boat stop, they gather and move toward the tourists. If tourists don’t have any food, the monkeys get agitated, sometimes biting or scratching them,” explained Sarayuth Tanthien, chief of the Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park. “We are concerned. Not only is it unsafe for the tourists, but the monkeys are getting use to being fed, which affects their natural ability to find food for themselves.”

The signs put on the beach are written in Thai, English and Chinese.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Monkeys-attacking-tourists-sparks-official-action/63572?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-03-31

"If tourists don’t have any food, the monkeys get agitated, sometimes biting or scratching them,”

So the monkeys attack if you don't give in to their demands. Hmmm. Now what does this remind us of?

Well I guess you just have to stay off their street, too, eh?

So if the monkeys don't get fed by the tourists they become agitated and start scratching and biting them. Obviously then the advice is to not feed them! Thai logic at it's very best.

"Logic" you say...

Just say something, anything, then pose for a group photo. TIT.

Monkey attacks on tourists spark official action

Kritsada Mueanhawong

post-247607-0-49671400-1459559970_thumb.

PHUKET: Park officials concerned about the changing behavior of macaque monkeys on Monkey Beach have erected signs urging tourists not to feed the wild animals.

“When the monkeys see a tour boat stop, they gather and move toward the tourists. If the tourists don’t have any food, the monkeys get agitated, sometimes biting or scratching them,” explained Sarayuth Tanthien, chief of the Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park. “We are concerned. Not only is it unsafe for the tourists, but the monkeys are getting use to being fed, which affects their natural ability to find food for themselves.”

The signs on the beach are in Thai, English and Chinese.

Park officials have also urged tour operators to educate and inform tourists before arriving on the beach.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Monkey-attacks-tourists-spark-official-action/63572?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-04-02

There was a similar situation with kangaroos in Australia which I have experienced. If you didn't provide food for them they would physically attack, and I mean they grabbed you with their claws, which hurts, and try to take things from you. Bearing in mind that these fellows are taller than we were it is an uncomfortable experience and was brought about by people feeding them. Same situation with these monkeys.

The have simply adopted the habits of local tuk tuk drivers, "security guards", jet ski operators and other local scum ........ "the monkeys get agitated, sometimes biting or scratching them,”

Perhaps a few more signs warning tourists of this greater danger might help.

there was a monkey beach on koh larn island near pattaya.

last time i visited the area was being developed with houses under construction.

there was no sign of the monkeys. local people told me that they had been poisoned.

Total pests. Everyone is always "oh look at the cute monkeys" but no, it's just a smarter form of rat.

Go to Bang Rong pier to jump a boat to Koh Yao, you'll see the shopkeepers keep long bamboo poles to thwack the little thiefs from absconding with chips out of their shops.

When I was at the falls in Kanchanaburi, as soon as other tourists started to arrive, here came a monkey. I told everyone to put their food away. I sort of waved at this one monkey to go away and it started to get sort of aggressive at me. No thanks, I jumped in the water. Don't need the little rat to come jumping and biting on me.

This is a problem with any wild animal that is no longer afraid of humans.

If they tasted good, people would hunt them, trap them, eat them and their natural fear would return.
Problem is, people think they are cute.

I've been bitten, scratched, had my hair pulled out and jumped on by apes and monkeys.
I do my best to stay (far) away from them.
I don't like when I see tourists feeding them.
Glad to see some action by the government on this problem.

As you enter the Monkey Forest in Ubud, Bali you will see the locals buying "U-back" sticks. Works well as the monkeys stay well away from anyone carrying a stick. Seems to work on all sorts of other animals as well. Walk softly, carry no food and hold a big stick!

According to another TV headline, "presents" are expected also from tourists visiting Patong Beach - can't remember what species the present demanding attackers were... just slipped my mind... Perhaps a good idea to always have some peanuts or bananas in your pocket when visiting LOS :)

At Monkey mountain temple on the Southside of Hua Hin beach you are encouraged to feed the monkeys by buying either bags of peanuts or bunches of bananas.

The money goes to support the temple and the food goes to the monkey.

These guys get a little vicious if you are holding something looking like it may be food and you are not sharing.

TAT should get them on a course about tourism and the value of the farang.

At Monkey mountain temple on the Southside of Hua Hin beach you are encouraged to feed the monkeys by buying either bags of peanuts or bunches of bananas.

The money goes to support the temple and the food goes to the monkey.

These guys get a little vicious if you are holding something looking like it may be food and you are not sharing.

TAT should get them on a course about tourism and the value of the farang.

You mean they need attitude adjustment? Must be a fairly long queue nowadays.

According to another TV headline, "presents" are expected also from tourists visiting Patong Beach - can't remember what species the present demanding attackers were... just slipped my mind... Perhaps a good idea to always have some peanuts or bananas in your pocket when visiting LOS smile.png

Jet Ski operators

Just have some Filipinos gather round a table in front of the monkeys and like in their home country entice one of the macaques near a keyhole-shaped slot in the table, crack its skull, and eat its brains raw. That ought to do it. Can't see those monkeys voluntarily approaching humans again.

Archived