April fools joke?

TPUBON

Yesterday, April 1st. I arrived at Ubon Airport after a three day trip to Bangkok. On my truck windshield, along with all of the other vehicles in the parking lot, was a note under the wiper blade. It seems to be saying that parking in the lot is limited to one hour. Violators will be towed at owners expense (500 baht) We are not responsible for damage to vehicle.

At first I thought this is really dumb but then I realized it was April 1st. Someone went to a lot of trouble printing these out and sticking them on every vehicle in the lot and this wouldn't be the first dumb idea I seen here.

So joke or no joke

Would be worth an extra thread: do Thai people know anything about April fool's jokes?

Bet not.

Even my wife who lived almost 20 yr in Germany has never understood any reference to this "ancient customs".

Without knowing Ubon airport I just used the big spy eye which shows me this:

(not sure if the picture is up-to-date though?)

post-99794-0-92378800-1459583973_thumb.j

Again I bet: if you don't park your car on what is designated in the picture as "Airport Car Park" you will be towed next time.

Your description sounds like "on the driveway to the gate"?

All these provincial airports have blown up like mad.

Khon Kaen airport was a barrack with a ground level car park in the 90s.

Nowadays there is multi story car park.

Absolute madness!

Crowded like the Bangkok skytrain.

And of course it's open to everyone.

Seems no one checks the duration of parking.

What will happen next: toll gates, pay for the parking.

I don't see any other option.

Can only hope they do enforce that, would be about time....but I have yet to see a car tow truck that isn't towing a wrecked car...

So where would you suggest people do park at the airport, I often leave my car at Udon airport when I go to Bangkok, I leave it in a designated area, or so I thought? If they had a pay to park I would leave it there, but at this time there is no such thing!

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

Since about the time of the fire the main flagpole carpark has been overflowing, with cars parked on the grass areas. Even the overflow dirt carpark is full most of the time. Gone are the days with no need for overflow carpark area.

So where would you suggest people do park at the airport, I often leave my car at Udon airport when I go to Bangkok, I leave it in a designated area, or so I thought? If they had a pay to park I would leave it there, but at this time there is no such thing!

iirc they have had a sign up for forever (few months at least) that stated that overnight parkers will be towed, however i couldn't ever verify that happening. While I wouldn't exactly be opposed to overnight/24h parking, I've seen alot of cars for days, even a week+ at times. Since it's a pain in the ass to get even do a round there without constantly having a turtle infront of you looking for a spot, I'd welcome either change to a timed parking or a separate charged area for multiple days.

Since that isn't the case...I'd suggest to leave the car at home and take a taxi ;)

Obviously that comes with some hassle and inconvenience, but I sure prefer that method over that annoying acrobatic hassle of just getting aggrevated and everything for a minute because nobody knows how to bloody operate a vehicle.

Would be worth an extra thread: do Thai people know anything about April fool's jokes?

Bet not.

Even my wife who lived almost 20 yr in Germany has never understood any reference to this "ancient customs".

Without knowing Ubon airport I just used the big spy eye which shows me this:

(not sure if the picture is up-to-date though?)

attachicon.gifcarpark.jpg

Again I bet: if you don't park your car on what is designated in the picture as "Airport Car Park" you will be towed next time.

Your description sounds like "on the driveway to the gate"?

All these provincial airports have blown up like mad.

Khon Kaen airport was a barrack with a ground level car park in the 90s.

Nowadays there is multi story car park.

Absolute madness!

Crowded like the Bangkok skytrain.

And of course it's open to everyone.

Seems no one checks the duration of parking.

What will happen next: toll gates, pay for the parking.

I don't see any other option.

Ditto Udon airport. The parking lot is always full but there are only about 5-7 flights a day.

Archived