BBB Fiber Home 100 Mbps wireless router range

THAIPHUKET

I got the famous 100Mbps line from BBB . Odd seems to be the range of the wireless router. BBB Central Festival said the range should be 30 m. Here in open 2 floor house the reach declines much more quickly,

close to the router 2-3 m , yes 100Mbps but 7m further away only 25 Mbps. Any experience.

Believe they mean it can be used in open air up to 30 meters (but not for full speed - just make connection and work). WiFi has very limited range due to power used and when walls are involved it quickly becomes less. Much better to have another WiFi on other side of home and connect with LAN cable to obtain better throughput. Suspect you can use an old ADSL modem/router for this.

I am only 10 meters away from my wireless router but the concrete of the Town house makes it unusable upstairs. I just ran a CAT 5 cable upstairs and put a WIFI router in my room.

Problem fixed

If I am only 1-3 meters from my downstairs router, I get full speed. Go to the door only 9 meters away, with no obstruction but being enclosed in the concrete shell/steel area of the room (our ceilings are concrete about 8 meters high), my speed drops from 30mbs to 15.... I think the structure just sucks it out. I could be wrong but my speed test suggest this....

Hmm, my old BBB router had no problem with a range of up to 3m outside the house. (No concrete, bricks)

Obviously my expectation about a Fiber Router were wrong. Now, I don´t think I can connect an ordinary Extender to a fiber router, or am I wrong?
BBB Fiber Home is supposed to deliver 100 Mbps.

Hmm, my old BBB router had no problem with a range of up to 3m outside the house. (No concrete, bricks)

Obviously my expectation about a Fiber Router were wrong. Now, I don´t think I can connect an ordinary Extender to a fiber router, or am I wrong?

BBB Fiber Home is supposed to deliver 100 Mbps.

You can use any compatible router/access point.

Just use the 3BB system as the fiber connection and then use a good quality router / wifi point for the rest..

That is if the fiber setup isnt simple PPPoE or other standard setup (TOT seems to be).

What actual speeds are you getting to London, NYC, LA etc on that.. 3BB just told me about that system as I cancelled and curious if its much more international bandwidth as top line speed is never the issue.

The router or the antennas are terrible quality, but you can buy your own better quality one, which will improve your connection as well as your wifi range within the house.

A rule of thumb for a decent quality router's wireless range is 3 walls or 30 metres.

25mbit only 7 metres away is really quite bad.

If there are some threaded adapters on the back, you could try buying some extra antennas, or better quailty ones to replace what's there.

Honestly though, if you're buying a 100mbit connection, go and buy your own modem/router, as it will make a significant improvement to the connection to 3bb, as well as the wifi performance.

Putting the settings into the new device is really quite straightforward and will take you a few minutes.

Also, for checking your wifi signals, http://www.inssider.com/ is a very useful tool.

Wifi scanners on your phone are another way to find dead spots that might be causing problems.

Edited by MilesofSmiles

Actually the 100Mbps is not guaranteed - it is up to that speed and sold as such from my reading. But as you have tested it is actually providing close to that speed currently, so for the price point a good deal IMHO. Any WiFi will have errors that have to be corrected so full speed is not likely to be obtained. The Fiber Optic is not helping the WiFi in that regard - but full speed will be much higher so same distance from unit should provide a much higher speed.

As for top line speed not being an issue - do not agree - each TV/phone/computer/appliance will be competing for bandwidth in our digital world so having extra is going to make that much smoother.

If your after really responsive wifi routers.. The recent lines from asus are top tier.

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC87U

they also have great firmware and controls...

They do make router / modem combos but I cant say they wont be geared for ADSL / VDSL connections.. Hence why I said above if 3BB are using standard PPPoE for the fiber.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to say I installed True FTTH last week and have turned WiFi off as unit in far corner of house and have attached old ADSL modem/routers to provide the WiFi access. Works great and excellent signal in all of house. Attach to main router with cables that were previously used for computers but now not needed. Just have to turn off DHCP in the old units and if you want access change the last number in there address from .1 to .11 or .2 or something (just remember it and password). Have set both units to same WiFI name/password and phones easily switch to stronger signal.

"Also, for checking your wifi signals, http://www.inssider.com/ is a very useful tool."

Yeah, I think I'll go for the $649 version.

There's an earlier version of the program, inSSIDer 2.0, that's out there on the net that's free to use.

I know, because I'm running it on my PC right now. And it's a great tool for seeing what's going on with your wifi connections.

I'm in the process of signing up with 3BB for their 100 Mbps ftth plan.

From what they've told me, they'll be issuing me a Huawei wifi N modem-router combo with 4 ports.

The Huawei is a terrible modem. Cannot change DNS settings on them and the troubles it gave me trying to stream from the US and Australia via a DNS service was just painful.

Re 3BB and their Huawei routers....just curious, were your Huawei router problems with a DNS router, or a fiber router, of theirs?

And, re the issues you raised, a couple of things.

1. I asked the staff at their office about the router, and they told me I'd have access to its settings via a log-in ID and password. I didn't get into a discussion with them about whether the fiber router they're going to issue me supports changing DNS or not.

2. But, more to the point, most of my outside Thailand streaming is done via a separate DD-WRT VPN router of mine that DOES provide its own DNS in concert with the VPN service. So, AFAIK, when I'm using my own DD-WRT router, or even a PC-based VPN app running through their router, my own settings ought to take precedence of whatever the Huawei router is doing.

Re 3BB and their Huawei routers....just curious, were your Huawei router problems with a DNS router, or a fiber router, of theirs?

And, re the issues you raised, a couple of things.

1. I asked the staff at their office about the router, and they told me I'd have access to its settings via a log-in ID and password. I didn't get into a discussion with them about whether the fiber router they're going to issue me supports changing DNS or not.

2. But, more to the point, most of my outside Thailand streaming is done via a separate DD-WRT VPN router of mine that DOES provide its own DNS in concert with the VPN service. So, AFAIK, when I'm using my own DD-WRT router, or even a PC-based VPN app running through their router, my own settings ought to take precedence of whatever the Huawei router is doing.

I was unable to alter my DNS settings at all. I am locked out at the firmware level.

I do not use a VPN service due to the buffering issues I had previously. I ended up bypassing this all using Ubuntu and set up my DNS service on a Gigabyte BRIX to access Netflix USA and ABC iView in Australia.

Edited by totally thaied up

Thanks for that. I don't know the exact model of Huawei router they're going to be installing at my home later this week. But if it ends up being that I'm locked out of it and unable to reset DNS at the router level, I'll certainly be mentioning that here.