Four year old dies tragically in a baking hot car parked at a Thai funeral

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really does sound like a tragic accident.

One thing I have noticed is that when you have 3 or 4 Thais together (perhaps anyone) normally vigilant people relax and switch off, and assume the other is taking care of the kid.

It's a real problem, with potentially awful consequences as in this instance. Simply tragic story.

Anyone here with a child knows that other family members often (uninvited) take care of your childen. There are times I don't see my daughter for 20 minutes, ask my wife where she is, off with an aunt, she comes back an hour later. This is the way it is here, and trying to change it creates more problems.

With this, there comes the inherent danger that both parents believe the child is with a grandparent, the grandparents believe the child is with an aunt next door, the aunt next door saw the child for 10 minutes and the child left to go and see Mum, but now the child is nowhere. This isn't inconceivable back in the west. You can't wrap your children in cotton wool 24hrs a day.

This death of a child of 4 is a terrible tragedy, and one at which you don't need to assign blame to anyone. The child climbed into a car and fell asleep. This is not something I would ever foresee happening, and not one many of you would either, you can't eliminate all risks. One of the problems with western culture is there always needs to be someone to blame.

Excellent posting.

I try to cover all angles but you simply can't control everyone all the time. Also when you try too hard, it is you that often ends up making the mistake.

Nevertheless, I am going to get the family together and try to explain the scenario as best I can why we must think and think again.

It doesn't matter. Criminal negligence resulting in the death of a minor.... Even if they lost track of the girl for an hour they are at fault and are ultimately responsible for this child's death

I don't agree, kids can always manage to slope off, you think thy're with big brother, etc.

Tragic accident, nobody here to blame.

I suspect alcohol kept the locals busy that's why the child was forgotten for so long.

There's always on puritan on TV blaming the booze and not the fact that Thais too often let their kids run riot unchecked in a manner that just wouldn't be allowed in the West.

What a sad tale. Sleep well young girl.

There was no alcohol involved. The family holding the funeral didn't drink. No alcohol was offered and none was brought in. The child wasn't running riot, but playing with 3 other similar aged girls amongst countless family adults.

Think before you post uninformed garbage.

I suspect alcohol kept the locals busy that's why the child was forgotten for so long.

There's always on puritan on TV blaming the booze and not the fact that Thais too often let their kids run riot unchecked in a manner that just wouldn't be allowed in the West.

There was no alcohol involved. The family holding the funeral didn't drink. No alcohol was offered and none was brought in. The child wasn't running riot, but playing with 3 other similar aged girls amongst countless family adults.

So what happened?

Why did this 4 year old girl die?

Countless family members? Who was looking after her?

Please tell everyone why this happened? Why?

It doesn't matter. Criminal negligence resulting in the death of a minor.... Even if they lost track of the girl for an hour they are at fault and are ultimately responsible for this child's death

I don't agree, kids can always manage to slope off, you think thy're with big brother, etc.

Tragic accident, nobody here to blame.

Agree. Accidents happen, that's why it's called accidents. If I had a kid, I would love and care for him/her best I could. If a senseless accident was to occur resulting in loss of life, I would be beside myself with grief and regret. And if some knucklehead was to confront me with "criminal negligence," I would strangle the guy with my bare hands.

So you don't want Thais to be blamed for anything that also happens in other countries? OK, we will leave out any reference to Thais. We will even change the names so that no one will know that anything happens in Thailand. Then Thailand can adopt Communism and become a totalitarian state where all media is tightly controlled and no one ever has to take blame for anything.

Here's the new story:

"A four year old child died somewhere because it was left in a hot car while parents were attending a funeral. It's OK, no one is to blame because it happens in every country in the world. Do not accuse us. The names are censored so that the country does not lose face. Anyone who discloses the identity of this country will be prosecuted for slander".

Exactly, and now some apologist will chime in with the usual Thai bashing.

Since you were there, maybe you can share some light into this tragic story so we don't have to read all the nonsense posted here,

Why did they not check the cars until after several hours , how did the girl get into the car ?

@roodujardin, Were you there? I ask this, as I got none of your posted 'details' from the article unless you got them from a different source, if so, you should quote that source or quantify your version of events, before accusing others of posting 'uninformed garbage' as thus far your post looks like a fabrication.

Edited by Merylhighground

So what happened?

It was the combination of heat and time that contributed to her sad demise.

Any more questions?

So what happened?

It was the combination of heat and time that contributed to her sad demise.

Any more questions?

Of course, everyone knows that.

What I think he was asking was directed at roodujardin.

Does he have any new information on what happened that day? Was, in his opinion, anyone to blame for this, or does he think it was an accident? If roodujardin wants to explain, up to you, it would be great to hear the whole story from someone who knows the truth.

Does he have any new information on what happened that day? Was, in his opinion, anyone to blame for this, or does he think it was an accident? If roodujardin wants to explain, up to you, it would be great to hear the whole story from someone who knows the truth.

It was aimed at roodujardin who seems to have slid away......

It was aimed at roodujardin who seems to have slid away......

Yes a real shame because he seems to come from the same place where the tragedy took place. Oh well, seems like he might never tell us what really happened. Still, I don't think he was having a go at you Merylhighground. Maybe as his member name suggests he's French and didn't word his post correctly. Don't be upset Meryl you said nothing wrong.

I'm not upset at his comments at all, as I appreciate the fact that not everyone can articulate themselves in English as well as others, but if he had some insight into this horrific tragedy it would have been nice if he'd have shared his sources with us as nothing makes threads like this worse is the speculation which always ensues.

Tragic, but not particularly Thai. Happened regularly in the UK - old fridges, garden pools. Not so much now. Basically, with young kids, you can't take your eyes off them for a minute. Part of the problem in the UK was the changeover from extended to nuclear families. In Thailand, I don't know, but they do seem to have a pretty cavalier attitude. My SO is often turning up with young kids who have attached themselves to her.