Fined for buying sex: French parliament votes to punish prostitutes' clients

webfact

i am proud to say nz was the first make it legal, people are generally surprised this this only happened a little over 10 years ago. where is the crime? where is the victim? now that it is mostly advertised online with sites like adultworks even the prudes dont have to be offended by seeing the girls on the streets. legalise it, tax it, make it safe. how can the world be so stupid to think it can be stopped?

And the land of l'amour too - it beggars belief.

What does prostitution have to do with love?

... who in their right mind would give a woman 1000thb for sexual intercourse, or "any other act" knowing it's illegal.

Sure you'd help her out with a taxi fare home, or the surprisingly expensive condoms - if that is your thing.

Thai hos know the law very well….that is why they aren't taking money from a customer…they are simply allowing him to "take care she".

... who in their right mind would give a woman 1000thb for sexual intercourse, or "any other act" knowing it's illegal.

Sure you'd help her out with a taxi fare home, or the surprisingly expensive condoms - if that is your thing.

Thai hos know the law very well….that is why they aren't taking money from a customer…they are simply allowing him to "take care she".

Excuse me? Thai hookers not taking money for sex? When was the last time you went to Pattaya? Not only do ladies take money for sex but if you don't pay they get a policeman to come and convince you to pay the lady for sex. Some clubs even have the prices posted on the wall. Of course Thai hookers discuss prices and they do it in person and online every day.

Edited by Scotwight

i am proud to say nz was the first make it legal, people are generally surprised this this only happened a little over 10 years ago. where is the crime? where is the victim? now that it is mostly advertised online with sites like adultworks even the prudes dont have to be offended by seeing the girls on the streets. legalise it, tax it, make it safe. how can the world be so stupid to think it can be stopped?

It is the commonsense alternative after one passes adolescence.

That's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. You have my pity.

That's one of the most depressing things I've ever read. You have my pity.

One of us is going to end up laughing. Since 50% of marriages end in divorce and guys don't jump off of balconies because a hooker left after the events of the evening were over odds are it'll be me.

We walked out of the courtroom into the rainy morning and my ex wife said, "you'll never find another women like me." and I said, "I sure hope not" and I got on a plane for Thailand. cheesy.gif and lived happily ever after........

Edited by Scotwight

Excuse me? Thai hookers not taking money for sex? When was the last time you went to Pattaya? Not only do ladies take money for sex but if you don't pay they get a policeman to come and convince you to pay the lady for sex. Some clubs even have the prices posted on the wall. Of course Thai hookers discuss prices and they do it in person and online every day.

You misunderstand…sure they take money but the notion in their heads is not that they are taking money for selling sex.

In their simpleton minds, they have codified it as…."i take care" you (open my legs)…you "take care me" (pay me).

Cheerz.

You misunderstand…sure they take money but the notion in their heads is not that they are taking money for selling sex.

In their simpleton minds, they have codified it as…."i take care" you (open my legs)…you "take care me" (pay me).

Cheerz.

They get paid different amounts for different services. It's like a body shop for car repairs. Some places even have lines drawn on the floor where they stand for different services and prices. Some places charge more depending on the time of day and that's listed on the wall. Some places have a money back guarantee.

It's a business nothing more or less. They understand that. Some Farang confuse it with love and they end up jumping from a balcony when they figure out it was more like an oil change or paint job.

They, the person who gets the money is the smart one and the one giving the money is the simpleton, imagining the existence of a romantic relationship.

Ask Rupert how much he gave Wendy and if she was a simpleton?

I'll take a 50% shot at happiness over a 100% chance at becoming the kind of bitter, twisted old cynic that posts stuff like that, thanks.

Check out my buddy, that twisted old cynic Tina cheesy.gif .

Edited by Scotwight

I'll take a 50% shot at happiness over a 100% chance at becoming the kind of bitter, twisted old cynic that posts stuff like that, thanks.

Some fools think of happiness

Blissfulness, togetherness

Some fools fool themselves I guess

They're not foolin' me

I know it isn't true, I know it isn't true

Love is just a lie

Made to make you blue

Love hurts

I have to look again..but I think that, technically, it is not.

It is tolerated.

PREVENTION AND SUPPRESSION OF PROSTITUTION ACT B.E. 2539 (1996), dated 14 October 1996
Read Section 9

exactly, where does it say it is forbidden to sell sex for money?

That is clearly laid out in section 4.

"prostitution" means sexual intercourse, or any other act, or the commission of any other act in order to gratify the sexual desire of another person in a promiscuous manner in return for money or any other benefit, irrespective of whether the person who accepts the act and the person who commits the act are of the same sex or not;

Section 9. Any person who procures, seduces or takes away any person for the prostitution of such person, even with her or his consent and irrespective of whether the various acts which constitute an offence are committed within or outside the Kingdom, shall be liable to imprisonment for a term of one to ten years and to a fine of twenty thousand to two hundred thousand Baht.

Apologies to the Mods, but I hope this is appropriate and helpful, especially the first sentence of the paragraph below...

Directly from the Thailand Law Forum: Sex Laws in Thailand Part 2: Laws Regulating Commercial Sex and Entertainment Places

Prostitution in Thailand is clearly illegal. However, there may be some sections of Thai law that are ambiguous, making it difficult to prosecute those charged under these laws. The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996) (the “Prostitution Law”), is the central legal framework prohibiting prostitution. The law defines prostitution as any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit, but only if it is done “in a promiscuous manner”. The Prostitution Law does not define what exactly a “promiscuous manner” constitutes. The crime of solicitation is equally ill defined. A “Jon” soliciting the services of a prostitute is liable under the Prostitution Law only if the solicitation is done “openly and shamelessly or causes a nuisance to the public”, the penalty being a fine of up to 1,000 baht.

Apologies to the Mods, but I hope this is appropriate and helpful, especially the first sentence of the paragraph below...

Directly from the Thailand Law Forum: Sex Laws in Thailand Part 2: Laws Regulating Commercial Sex and Entertainment Places

Prostitution in Thailand is clearly illegal. However, there may be some sections of [/size]Thai law that are ambiguous, making it difficult to prosecute those charged under these laws. The [/size]Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996) (the Prostitution Law), is the central legal framework prohibiting prostitution. The law defines prostitution as any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit, but only if it is done in a promiscuous manner. The Prostitution Law does not define what exactly a promiscuous manner constitutes. The crime of solicitation is equally ill defined. A Jon soliciting the services of a prostitute is liable under the Prostitution Law only if the solicitation is done openly and shamelessly or causes a nuisance to the public, the penalty being a fine of up to 1,000 baht.[/size]

your quote still fails to reference an article of law banning selling or buying sex in exchange for money.

they say "prostitution is clearly illegal" but fail to provide a law article.

hint: I have looked a long long time for such an article and it doesn't seem to exist.

the only provision applying to so-called freelance prostitutes, whether they operate out of a bar or not, is the bit your quote mentions about solicitation, which is OK if not done "openly and shamelessly" or causes "a nuisance to the public", and even then the fine is only 1000 baht.

That leads me to believe that selling or buying sex in exchange for money is not illegal in itself.

Edited by manarak

Your apology is acknowledged. We do need to remember this story is about France. Comparing and understanding the laws of other countries that we generally know about can help to understand the relevance of the thread, but we need to be careful not to argue or dwell on the laws and how they are applied in Thailand. At least, we need to be careful not derail the topic.