Expats in Thailand: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Cheap Charlie" is often a derogatory term used to characterize a "farang" who doesn't dish out money freely to Thais and cater to their sob stories of family hardship. A farang who doesn't like picking up the tab for everyone all the time is referred to as "Cheap Charlie" by Thais. A farang who merely meets the agreed price for sex without additional tip is called "Cheap Charlie" by Thai girls. The Thai newspaper should be clear about this being a derogatory expression and why.

Thai's call them "Kee Neeow" or "Farang Kee Nok"

In the UK we use the terms; to be 'mean' and to be 'careful'...with money. To be mean is bad, To be careful with money is regarded by most to be good. I dont know if there is a distinction between the two meanings in the Thai language.

I am undoubtedly a minority in this opinion, but I believe the "bad" ex-pats are those who come to Thailand to build, build and build more and more condos, hotels, high-rises, pouring cement over the beautiful nature of Thailand, making real estate prices double, or triple in another real estate bubble which is sure to come, with nature being squashed by this encroachment upon plants, animals, habitats, and all the like that comes with "development', which people of all races, countries and belief systems embrace because the never-ending quest for profit rules over nature. Thailand is a sort of nature paradise and I am sad to see the same mentality that has become a legacy of endangered species and destruction of natural areas becoming the target of developers to pour down another shopping mall or condo or boutique or something essentially unnecessary, but deemed "essential" for the economy of Thailand, with everything soon to be shiny, new and renovated, prices up and up, flowers, butterflies and animals beware and the beautiful nature manicured into lots. How many decades of this "hip" development will it take for Thailand to become plastered over and made into an artificial cement paradise with species dying off? These are the ex-pats that I think are the "bad" ones, who should be discouraged from coming to Thailand to make a fortune off development, but these are the ones deemed the most precious and worthy of the most respect.

I agree with everything you have just said,,, even 10 years ago this was a nice place to live, before the prices of everything went through the roof.. due to expats

Is still a nice place for those of us who can afford it.

I am undoubtedly a minority in this opinion, but I believe the "bad" ex-pats are those who come to Thailand to build, build and build more and more condos, hotels, high-rises, pouring cement over the beautiful nature of Thailand, making real estate prices double, or triple in another real estate bubble which is sure to come, with nature being squashed by this encroachment upon plants, animals, habitats, and all the like that comes with "development', which people of all races, countries and belief systems embrace because the never-ending quest for profit rules over nature. Thailand is a sort of nature paradise and I am sad to see the same mentality that has become a legacy of endangered species and destruction of natural areas becoming the target of developers to pour down another shopping mall or condo or boutique or something essentially unnecessary, but deemed "essential" for the economy of Thailand, with everything soon to be shiny, new and renovated, prices up and up, flowers, butterflies and animals beware and the beautiful nature manicured into lots. How many decades of this "hip" development will it take for Thailand to become plastered over and made into an artificial cement paradise with species dying off? These are the ex-pats that I think are the "bad" ones, who should be discouraged from coming to Thailand to make a fortune off development, but these are the ones deemed the most precious and worthy of the most respect.

I agree with everything you have just said,,, even 10 years ago this was a nice place to live, before the prices of everything went through the roof.. due to expats

I think you need to rethink your definition of the word "expat": it's not someone who comes here to do business it's someone who has left the country of their birth to live in another.

I think you need to rethink your definition of the word "expat": it's not someone who comes here to do business it's someone who has left the country of their birth to live in another.

Its a weirdly misunderstood term on here. I think people who've no grasp of the word's actual meaning have deduced a false one from the phrase 'Expat package'.

I agree that there are the bad and the ugly among the Thailand expats, but who’s fault is that?

Thailand still has a walk in and walk out policy meaning the country becomes an attraction for criminals and people that would not qualify for settlement in other countries. For retirees that the Thais expect will spend a lot of money and invest into the country while being totally restricted, Thailand offers nothing. There are no concessions or incentives; immigration (especially in Chiang Mai) has become an obstacle course, with each year hitting us with more stress and expense. Bars and similar are becoming rich bustards clubs, where a night out can cost more than in America, Australia and mainland Europe. One of the reasons is that the general opinion of Thaïs is that Farlangs can live here for much cheaper then in their own countries, are taking advantage of a third world country and should therefore pay more while at the same time being under the thumb and kissing everyone’s backsides for allowing us the privilege of staying here. If I were still living in England and not an expat I would no longer be visiting Thailand for my holidays, as it’s no longer good value for money.

There are always two sides to every story and the Thais cannot expect something for giving nothing when the rules are made up as they go along if they want the cream of the crop.

"Cheap Charlie" is often a derogatory term used to characterize a "farang" who doesn't dish out money freely to Thais and cater to their sob stories of family hardship. A farang who doesn't like picking up the tab for everyone all the time is referred to as "Cheap Charlie" by Thais. A farang who merely meets the agreed price for sex without additional tip is called "Cheap Charlie" by Thai girls. The Thai newspaper should be clear about this being a derogatory expression and why.

"Kee Neeow "is sticky shit, "Kee Nok" is Bird shit,...not the same thing !!!

Regards.

To point out

Kee Neow and Kee Nok are different 'Kee' words, first Kee means 'adverse character trait', second Kee means 'shit'.

So no 'shit' in Kee Neow.

Most of the times you hear Kee, from a Thai, they are talking about character not shit.

The phrases, kee kiat and kee leum are just two examples that spring to mind.

Only the ones that take you for a complete useless c*nt who was neutered years ago and gets/deserves zero respect by association with the gutter trash that utter these words.

99% of the time I drink in Thai places, I never hear these phrases used.

The only time I hear them is in places like Lower Suk or Pattaya.

No riap roy Thai girl would ever use these phrases, much less to a Thai man.

In the UK we use the terms; to be 'mean' and to be 'careful'...with money. To be mean is bad, To be careful with money is regarded by most to be good. I dont know if there is a distinction between the two meanings in the Thai language.

There is a disticntion in Thai, the word you are looking for is Prayat, meaning to be economical or thrifty.

Its a weirdly misunderstood term on here. I think people who've no grasp of the word's actual meaning have deduced a false one from the phrase 'Expat package'.

'Expat package'.

Means to me sending, the driver out 5 minutes before me to start the car and make sure its properly cooled before I get in.

Bkk is a great place to live on your companys dime.

I think thailand has the worst quality expats in the world because of its low cost living. This face is full of uneducated losers.

You chose a remarkably appropriate name for yourself, Sir.

To equate quality and education with money is absurd, unintelligent, and ignorant.

To imply that people without money are 'losers' is downright insulting and stupid.

There are plenty of rich people around the world who are uneducated, rude, and thick in the head. On top of which they often have the arrogance of a thousand 'losers', and arrogance is not the mark of intelligence and/or education. You're a good example.

You need to grow some brains, because obviously, for the moment, you don't have enough to fill a thimble.

excellent description of Donald Trump there!!

There is a disticntion in Thai, the word you are looking for is Prayat, meaning to be economical or thrifty.

Thanks for that. I will make a note of it.

Are you sure that it is 'prayat' not 'Prayut'? ...........lol.

Edited by SunsetT

What an enormous loud of behinds this article is, In My Honest Opinion.

Guess I qualify as one of the a............, Cheap Charlies and such.

Why, because I live my own peaceful quiet life here in Thailand.

No longer interested in de bar scene in any way.

Just have sometimes a great time with my Thai friends, with whom I share the total bill.

Or is it that I live a happy and for filled life in Thailand and only spend between 22.000-27.000baht a month?

My income is 3-4 times that, just don't have anything to spend it on.

Don't worry when I die in a few decades hopefully, all the saved money will be used well.

PS. Amazing that my typing gets a <deleted> while in the original post the same word is used and is allowed

In short: the <deleted>. See the original post same short sentence.

Your life sounds like my life here. The article doesn't mention the majority who live "disaster and drama free". Positive news about expat volunteers, or those that are "regular people", who are contributing to the betterment of society, doesn't sell I suppose.

What an enormous loud of behinds this article is, In My Honest Opinion.

Guess I qualify as one of the a............, Cheap Charlies and such.

Why, because I live my own peaceful quiet life here in Thailand.

No longer interested in de bar scene in any way.

Just have sometimes a great time with my Thai friends, with whom I share the total bill.

Or is it that I live a happy and for filled life in Thailand and only spend between 22.000-27.000baht a month?

My income is 3-4 times that, just don't have anything to spend it on.

Don't worry when I die in a few decades hopefully, all the saved money will be used well.

PS. Amazing that my typing gets a <deleted> while in the original post the same word is used and is allowed

In short: the <deleted>. See the original post same short sentence.

Your life sounds like my life here. The article doesn't mention the majority who live "disaster and drama free". Positive news about expat volunteers, or those that are "regular people", who are contributing to the betterment of society, doesn't sell I suppose.

Don't mention volunteer work. We'll get several pages of work permit pedantry.

For the life of me, I couldn't come up with anything clever to say on this subject......

This will probably be the best reply this threads can get

Only thing l took any notice of, is if l post some words written on the subject they get..deleted. laugh.png

Cheap charlies exist the world over. But the worst are those who don't even spend money on themselves. I know such a guy, one of the richest in the very rich city that I normally live in, who has worn the same sports-coat for 20 or more years, who goes to an Old Folks' Home to play snooker on a Saturday morning between 10 and 12 cos it is free at that time, who freezes rather than turn on the heating. (I suppose in LoS he would melt rather than turn on the AC.)

But he does have one feature that suggests deviance: he has been spotted by a neighbour walking around in his house wearing a negligé. Yet again, that is an activity that costs nothing, except for the buying of the negligé at the charity store.

Does he come from Doncaster?

gik not geek

In the past

geek was a circus performer that bit the heads of live chickens.

Currently

geek is a computer nerd with no social skills.

Great to see you are a fellow student of Thai hooker bar talk.

I believe he was attempting to spell gik phonetically--always a hassle when trying to write words in languages different alphabets

You did miss one term I find enjoyable--pun non, friend for sleeping; a much more refined descriptor than gik

It's funny when people argue over which inaccurate romanised spelling of a Thai word is best.

The problem being, we aren't allowed to use Thai script in posts.

but

gik and geek sound nothing like each other.

pooh-wan nawn or pun non same problem.

I guess loads of the old blokes posting here, can't read, write or speak any Thai and are a bit deaf too.

Making the whole thing completely pointless.

The "cheap Charlies", as you call them, built the tourist industry in Thailand, back in the day when haggling was the norm and tipping was unheard of. Then came more airports, paved roads and the business crowd and Thailand has gone downhill ever since.

It's funny when people argue over which inaccurate romanised spelling of a Thai word is best.

but

I guess loads of the old blokes posting here, can't read, write or speak any Thai and are a bit deaf too.

Well just to be a pedantic tawat, its actually, pheuan non.

If you can read Thai its easily understandable, I cant post Thai spelling on here.

But never mind, your post above highlights the problems faced by those who cant read Thai, never mind know about tones and long/short vowels.

Its amusing to read that "cheap charlie's" seems the be the topic most have responded to on this thread. ;-)

Let the slagging begin. ;-)

generally dresses like a bum, especially when going to a government office (shorts, grubby t-shirt/singlet, flip flops)

how must dressed? If in Thailand Hot in many place, even in a goverment office..

I do not want to be sweaty

So

Yes I DO IT!!!biggrin.png

- haggles and fusses every price they get, down a few baht (even though they can afford the price)

Yes even I have money for pay price not see any problem ask discount..Buy car, House, bike... shoese.. any.. its my money and i am not have print machine.

So

Yes .. I DO IT!!biggrin.png

- hangs about in cheap beer bars or sits on the stoop at 7-11 drinking Leo\\

Sorry.. Can you show me where in Thailand have cheap BEER bar...I'll be happy to visit ..

when I want to drink a beer.
Never in Thailand see chep BEER bar..( i compare with many europe coutry)
7-11.. many time sit and drink near this store.. Where can drink at 4-5 morning? In thailand not realy many place for full holiday drink party..
And many Thai bar not far from as sit and drink near store.. biggrin.png
So YEs I DO IT!!biggrin.png But in Thailand few time.. most of the time this has happened in HKcheesy.gif .
- never tips for services or when a Thai does something over and above (i.e. a parking guard helps you to find a good parking spot)
I am pay tips if i am full satisfaction service or get some extra..
In Thailand, this rarely happens.
parking guards help me find good parking??cheesy.gif
where is happened?
often not even in the parking lot to find the lights show have free parcking place.
and the guards often only when a plurality of free space waving a flashlight showing parking place. But when there is a lot of car and not easy find place they do not help ..
if They Help when NEED.. i give tips 20-100 but..
but it happens so rarely..
So can say
- Speaks Thai like a tuk-tuk driver. Or never even bothers to learn some Thai at all.
Why foreigner MUST speak Thai? blink.png No other more useful activities?
I understand if a person likes to learn languages. Or he decided to become a member of the thai society, but if he is as a guest?
I do not know how TUK -TUK driver talk.. but i just know few word. "Thank"" hello" etc..
So...

- Routinely overstays his visa or works without a work permit

overstay.. if it be legal for pay it.. why not( I do not do it)
Work permit?blink.png
ALL has the right to work !! ask permission from someone is humiliated ..
If you want to be humiliated is your right.
Me not!! In the ANY country I did not ask permission to work
Thailand has never worked.
But ok..
in this is article..
Yes I do it..biggrin.png
I am Cheap Charlie?
Ok.. Fine
I do and follow MY rules evry where..
And do not look HOW do another..
ofcouse if it not physically harm another people..

but

As I said, romanizing the words of a language written in a different alphabet is always a hassle. It is especially so with languages of limited usage and study, such as Thai. You must remember, different areas of every country pronounce words differently. The proper phonetic representation of a word in one area, may not be the proper representation of the pronunciation in another area.

“One of the problems learning Thai is that you often have to learn a new phonetic system for each book or course. Every author, it seems, has a better idea of what a good romanization system is.”

http://www.thailao.net/thaiphon.htm

One of the oldest and more commonly studied languages written in a different alphabet is Chinese. I studied Mandarin in graduate school, we had learning sources written in Pinyin and Yale; although sources using Wade-Giles were available in our library. These three phonetic systems are most common for studying Chinese and they originated in China, US, and UK respectively.

All the language professors at my university had to be a native speaker of the language they taught; still, none of the three Mandarin professors could agree on the best system—Yale was prevalent, but I was studying at an American university.

Consequently, I find nothing unusual about disagreeing on how to spell a Thai word in English. Even the native English speakers of the world cannot agree on how to spell all English words.