Harbor Mall. Now that it's open...

NanLaew

My impression was that they would close Tukcom S-Pattaya , at least the upper floors and relocate to Harbor mall .

I have seen familiar faces now at Harbor mall , working for the same companies.

I really hope you're wrong about that. They're nearly 5 km apart at the opposite ends of town. They can both survive. The shops closing at Tukcom is more to do with changing trends of the computer industry rather than lack of customers.

The MAIN reason for the empty shops at Tukcom is the

landlord got greedy and jacked the rents way up a few

years ago...

If rents were lower Tukcom would be full same as before..

I disagree. It's the changing face of the computer industry. People are far less likely to purchase PC's, laptops, CD/DVDs and all the associated hardware these days. It's a bit sad as I'm still a dedicated PC/Laptop guy.

Don't you mean "old fogey"? ?

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression was that they would close Tukcom S-Pattaya , at least the upper floors and relocate to Harbor mall .

I have seen familiar faces now at Harbor mall , working for the same companies.

I really hope you're wrong about that. They're nearly 5 km apart at the opposite ends of town. They can both survive. The shops closing at Tukcom is more to do with changing trends of the computer industry rather than lack of customers.

The MAIN reason for the empty shops at Tukcom is the

landlord got greedy and jacked the rents way up a few

years ago...

If rents were lower Tukcom would be full same as before..

I disagree. It's the changing face of the computer industry. People are far less likely to purchase PC's, laptops, CD/DVDs and all the associated hardware these days. It's a bit sad as I'm still a dedicated PC/Laptop guy.

I think that's part of it, but not all shops in Tukcom are IT related. If the rents were reasonable, other types of businesses would move in. It's in a great location.

Yes you are correct, all those Bangkok Thais coming down at weekends just to shop in Tukom at Harbour Mall. (cough)

Well, it's really, really complicated. Thais and farangs from wherever--from the greater Pattaya area and surrounding towns, Bangkok etc., foreign countries--will be in Harbor for one reason or another. (But not all at once--lemme be clear for you on that.) That reason, or reasons, may or may not be primarily to buy IT-related products. While they're there, however, Harbor Tukcom offers them the opportunity to buy such. I predict that enough consumers will buy so that the Harbor Mall Tukcom stays in business. That doesn't mean that particular shops can't come and go without implying the entire mall is bankrupt.

Another difficult concept is that all Bangkok Thais don't have to go to only one place in Pattaya or buy from only one place. Just as OMGImInPattaya taught you that "Harbor and Tuk Com are completely different animals," you'll need somehow to discover that Central and Harbor Tukcom are completely different animals as well. The only IT shops directly comparable among the two belong to Banana IT, and Bangkok Thais (your obsession) aren't going to Central for the sake of Banana IT anyway. Nothing much to cannibalize there, pal--if such were even going on. biggrin.png BTW, you haven't yet discussed that worrisome "cannibalization" of Royal Garden KFC by the Lotus North KFC under the "only one" principle.

Well it's obvious to most people, pal, that Central has basically ruined Royal Garden Plaza, although maybe not you, as you seem to believe that by having more shops automatically creates more demand.

No. RGP was going downhill before Central arrived on the scene. Naturally our doomsayers, besides predicting the failure of Central, simultaneously predicted the demise of RGP, oblivious to the paradox. As a result of competition and increased traffic in the area, RGP then redeveloped (as tropo points out) to become far better than it ever was previously.

I can't think of what you mean by ruination except that it merely means for you the closing of the old food court upstairs that served as an air-conditioned coconut bar. Truly a loss for the big-spending monger community. smile.png

Now, your argument of Central vs. Harbor Tukcom shredded, you've changed the topic to entire new mall vs. old mall.

However, with the Central vs. RGP example, you're simply arguing against yourself, as you now insist it's the new mall, Harbor, that will fail, not the old one.clap2.gif"Six months from now" we're going to see about that, remember? We got about 5 more months.

I think you're just trolling really. The obvious alternative, I can't say, as it would be considered flaming. smile.png

Went in for the first time today, around 10:40. Easy to get in, but the place filled up quite fast. Nice & clean, but ATMs are rare. Anyway, we were meeting another family with kids (7-11), they went for the Jump place. There's another one for a bit smaller kids. I think that's the "secret sauce", they aim for families with kids, while the kids are doing the 1h in either kid station the parents will go around, shopping, then they'll all have lunch or dinner. Talked to some Thais after, all had the same view: Good for the kids, especially when they open the ice rink and I was told some kind of pool.

Yes you are correct, all those Bangkok Thais coming down at weekends just to shop in Tukom at Harbour Mall. (cough)

Well, it's really, really complicated. Thais and farangs from wherever--from the greater Pattaya area and surrounding towns, Bangkok etc., foreign countries--will be in Harbor for one reason or another. (But not all at once--lemme be clear for you on that.) That reason, or reasons, may or may not be primarily to buy IT-related products. While they're there, however, Harbor Tukcom offers them the opportunity to buy such. I predict that enough consumers will buy so that the Harbor Mall Tukcom stays in business. That doesn't mean that particular shops can't come and go without implying the entire mall is bankrupt.

Another difficult concept is that all Bangkok Thais don't have to go to only one place in Pattaya or buy from only one place. Just as OMGImInPattaya taught you that "Harbor and Tuk Com are completely different animals," you'll need somehow to discover that Central and Harbor Tukcom are completely different animals as well. The only IT shops directly comparable among the two belong to Banana IT, and Bangkok Thais (your obsession) aren't going to Central for the sake of Banana IT anyway. Nothing much to cannibalize there, pal--if such were even going on. biggrin.png BTW, you haven't yet discussed that worrisome "cannibalization" of Royal Garden KFC by the Lotus North KFC under the "only one" principle.

Well it's obvious to most people, pal, that Central has basically ruined Royal Garden Plaza, although maybe not you, as you seem to believe that by having more shops automatically creates more demand.

No. RGP was going downhill before Central arrived on the scene. Naturally our doomsayers, besides predicting the failure of Central, simultaneously predicted the demise of RGP, oblivious to the paradox. As a result of competition and increased traffic in the area, RGP then redeveloped (as tropo points out) to become far better than it ever was previously.

I can't think of what you mean by ruination except that it merely means for you the closing of the old food court upstairs that served as an air-conditioned coconut bar. Truly a loss for the big-spending monger community. smile.png

Now, your argument of Central vs. Harbor Tukcom shredded, you've changed the topic to entire new mall vs. old mall.

However, with the Central vs. RGP example, you're simply arguing against yourself, as you now insist it's the new mall, Harbor, that will fail, not the old one.clap2.gif"Six months from now" we're going to see about that, remember? We got about 5 more months.

I think you're just trolling really. The obvious alternative, I can't say, as it would be considered flaming. smile.png

Ah the old food court at RGP...now that brings back some good memories. ☺

Went in for the first time today, around 10:40. Easy to get in, but the place filled up quite fast. Nice & clean, but ATMs are rare. Anyway, we were meeting another family with kids (7-11), they went for the Jump place. There's another one for a bit smaller kids. I think that's the "secret sauce", they aim for families with kids, while the kids are doing the 1h in either kid station the parents will go around, shopping, then they'll all have lunch or dinner. Talked to some Thais after, all had the same view: Good for the kids, especially when they open the ice rink and I was told some kind of pool.

Exactly. From the beginning it's billed itself as the family entertainment mall. That's the market differentiation, and it has significant appeal. Every kid from at least 50k around, not to mention the tourist and Bangkok families, is gonna want to go there--multiple times of course--and parents will take them, as it's purposely not so expensive. You're right, eating, esp., is likely while they're there and a bit of shopping.

The Harbor Mall is definitely a coffee lovers Paradise, in fact, you could call it a "coffee hub" for Pattaya. I count 6 major coffee outlets, not counting any kiosks on the ground level or the food court. They are:

Starbucks

Au Bon Pain

Coffee World

S&P Blue Cup

Black Canyon, and

Coffee Club.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I can't walk anywhere without risk of hitting my head:

- Inside the malls signs hit my head

- On the escalators the beams hit my head

- On the sky bridges the beams hit my head

- At night markets the ropes/cables are nice and black and placed at neck height to help decapitate me

Granted I'm 6'3", but still, never had this problem in Europe tongue.png Maybe it's a trick to ensure that if a basketball team visits, Thailand will win tongue.png

What a difference 3 inches makes.

3 inches...............wow tell that to a thai guy,he would be very happy with just one extra inch whistling.gif

first visit - 7/F only - over 60 (driving licence) = free entry - kids loved it - 3 hours B330

Does that mean that also foreigners get in for free showing a valid ID ? Would not be surprised foreigners have to pay .

first visit - 7/F only - over 60 (driving licence) = free entry - kids loved it - 3 hours B330

Does that mean that also foreigners get in for free showing a valid ID ? Would not be surprised foreigners have to pay .

I'm a retired Brit who showed my Thai Driving Licence (7/F, kids play zones)

I admit to shopping at Tukcom once….I’ve felt dirty ever since and have terrible nightmares!

Ain't that the Truth... Touché

You guys live here?

Just visited HM today for the first time. Some interesting restaurants and many pc/phone shops with not many customers in them.

I think Thais like to walk around inside those malls just window shopping and perhaps have a meal.

It is a bit cramped inside but nevertheless a nice addition to Pattaya's many malls.

Now looking forward to the next one, he-he.

The Harbor Mall is definitely a coffee lovers Paradise, in fact, you could call it a "coffee hub" for Pattaya. I count 6 major coffee outlets, not counting any kiosks on the ground level or the food court. They are:

Starbucks

Au Bon Pain

Coffee World

S&P Blue Cup

Black Canyon, and

Coffee Club.

How about some recommendations on which has the best cup?

Edited by tropo

I admit to shopping at Tukcom once….I’ve felt dirty ever since and have terrible nightmares!

Ain't that the Truth... Touché
You guys live here?

Just visited HM today for the first time. Some interesting restaurants and many pc/phone shops with not many customers in them.

I think Thais like to walk around inside those malls just window shopping and perhaps have a meal.

It is a bit cramped inside but nevertheless a nice addition to Pattaya's many malls.

Now looking forward to the next one, he-he.

Come for the Air-Con too

Starbucks

Au Bon Pain

Coffee World

S&P Blue Cup

Black Canyon, and

Coffee Club.

The best cup of hot coffee in Pattaya is probably Benjamit and only 60 baht . But in the mall everything is overpriced of course.

But if you want me to rate them I would say Black Canyon , Black Canyon also offers a discount on cappuccino (49 baht ) with the smart phone app, normal price I think 80 baht.

Starbucks

Au Bon Pain

Coffee World

S&P Blue Cup

Black Canyon, and

Coffee Club.

The best cup of hot coffee in Pattaya is probably Benjamit and only 60 baht . But in the mall everything is overpriced of course.

But if you want me to rate them I would say Black Canyon , Black Canyon also offers a discount on cappuccino (49 baht ) with the smart phone app, normal price I think 80 baht.

I was impressed with the Americano at Coffee World... way better than Starbucks, about the same price.

Parking is the problem.

Been a few times now and never had a problem parking apart from one idiot who nearly pushed his bike out into my car as i was going in - having said that I missed the first three weeks of it being open and haven't bothered trying at the weekend.

Made my first visit this morning, quite impressed with it and feel its going to be a great success. The place was buzzing even though it was early in the day.

Parking is easy and just a straight walk from the car right into the mall on the same level, needs better car park signage though.

Totally agree Rimmer.

I go as early as possible with my children in order to get parked up better & also because the queues on the 7th floor for the play area can build quickly, especially as you have to fill out forms everytime you go.

Expensive? Hell yes but I feel it's value for money if used as a treat for the kids as there's nothing anywhere as good in Pattaya IMO.

Just a thought, has anyone got around to checking the foundation work and footings in the parking structure...just to be on the safe side? [emoji3]

I believe the people you need are wandering around the Central car park with long beards muttering "any day now" quietly to themselves.

The "sauce" isn't so secret anymore. When I came back from Bangkok yesterday I saw a huge billboard beside the motorway just before Pattaya, promoting Harbor Mall as "THE FAMILY PARADISE". I think they have a distinct niche.

Just a thought, has anyone got around to checking the foundation work and footings in the parking structure...just to be on the safe side? ?

Next time I go to Harbor Mall I am going to wear a hard

hat and a orange vest and have a GPS beacon on

me so I can be located in the rubble in the case of

Harbor Mall collapsing....

Just a thought, has anyone got around to checking the foundation work and footings in the parking structure...just to be on the safe side? ?

Next time I go to Harbor Mall I am going to wear a hard

hat and a orange vest and have a GPS beacon on

me so I can be located in the rubble in the case of

Harbor Mall collapsing....

LOL. We're still waiting for Central to collapse at 7 years and counting. Some members were actually afraid to enter the building.

• 3 weeks later...

You can hear a pin drop today. I was on the phone floor (floor 3) and some of the shops that were open last month (the debut month) have already closed and moved on. FYI, floors 3 & 4 are all phone and computer accessories.

post-259358-0-95260300-1464239059_thumb.