Withdraw cash from Thai ATMS with new foreign chip debit card

I don't think so since I use such a "new" chip card for many years already, but then I'm also not from the greatest nation on earth.

Ditto, chip cards (except the one from Bangkok Bank) work just fine in magstripe ATMs.

You "may" have problems...a lot depends on compatibility between your chipped card and the ATM...and even communications between the ATM with the Visa/Mastercard network.

I'm one of those folks who had problems with the new chipped debit card from Schwab in Krungsri and TMB ATMs (or at the least the two Krungsri and TMB ATMs I always use with the Schwab card for many years)....never ever had problems with the Schwab magnetic strip card. Saw a few posts from other Schwab debit card folks experiencing the same problem.

My Schwab chipped card worked "intermittently" with the Krungsri ATM and in the TMB ATM it just would not work. Schwab card worked without problem in a KrungThai Bank ATM and I think I used it once in a Bangkok Bank ATM without issue. Schwab even replaced my chipped card with another chipped card...didn't help. And what's strange when I was having the problem once I called Schwab while standing in front of the Krungsri/TMB ATM trying to use them/getting rejects...he said is there other ATMs I can try...I said yes, a KrungThai ATM a few steps away...tried that one and it worked and the rep saw the activity real time....he didn't see any activity when I was trying to use the Krungsri/TMB ATMs. He said it was purely an ATM communications interface issue with the Visa network and not a chipped card issue. I still have a non-chipped debit card from one of my U.S. banks and it works without problem in Krungsri/TMB ATMs.

I've been using my Schwab debit card for counter withdrawals (a.k.a. cash advance) inside the bank....I like not giving the bank the Bt200 ATM withdrawal fee even though Schwab will reimburse such a fee...works without issue on their POS machines.

All you can do is give the card a try...if it don't work in one ATM....try another ATM. But yes, chipped cards do work in Thai ATMs unless some compatibility/communication issue happens to raise its head.

I had read on a previous topic where a few people had trouble with their chip enabled debit cards from foreign banks using the TMB and Krungsiri networks. Hopefully, cleared up .

I used a UK-issued, chip & PIN Visa Debit card in a Krungsri ATM in Pattaya in February this year. No problem.

...adding to the confusion, about two weeks ago, I withdrew 15,000b using my old style mag-strip (no chip) Visa card at SCB in Pattaya. A week transpires and the same teller---exact same transaction ---"cannot do--card doesn't have chip."

Whaaaaaat?