Mother in US faces deportation to Thailand after fiance's death

webfact

Derry mother faces deportation to Thailand after fiance's death
By Kristen Carosa

11-year-old daughter allowed to stay

DERRY, N.H. —A mother from Derry is in danger of being deported to Thailand after her fiancé, a U.S. Navy SEALS veteran, died from cancer.

Because Bao Duaisarn and Tim Farrell were not married before Farrell passed away in December, Bao cannot legally stay in New Hampshire and faces deportation back to Thailand.

Duaisarn obviously wants to stay in Derry with her daughter, but because she has no other family in the U.S., no one else can help her get a green card. It’s a tough situation to be in, and time is running out.

Full story: http://www.wmur.com/news/derry-mother-faces-deportation-to-thailand-after-fiances-death/38959904

-- WNUR 2016-04-11

Because Bao Duaisarn and Tim Farrell were not married before Farrell passed away in December,

Does this mean that they were married AFTER he passed away? Perhaps it's best to simply say, they weren't married. Now where is that darned Journalism for Dummies book . . .

The kid wants to stay in the US and go to school etc - The kid is allowed a parent if she has the paper to show she is the mother she will get the green card - did they apply for marriage visa when she came over or tourist visa? Why didn't they get married years ago? - Like most stories in the MSM half of the facts that matter would take all the tear jerking out of the story. As retired he has benefits for the child - go down to a local VFW and ask for help for his kid that wants mom to stay - likely they will call up the whole damn Calvary for her.

Is being deported to Thailand so bad ? She can bring her daughter back with her .

Who would want to stay in the USA anyway? Never fancied the place myself to be honest hence why I live in Asia but suppose I'm selfish lol

Too bad they didn't start the green card process (i.e., permanent resident process) much earlier or get married much earlier, but sometimes you never know what life will throw at you (like a serious illness) or we don't hear the whole story. Apparently they moved to the U.S. before starting the green card application process or being married...basically the mother just had some kind of short term visa or maybe a fiancee/K-1 visa. So, so many people in similar type situations. Hope they figure out some way to allow the mother to stay and get a green card and allow this military veteran to RIP.

Is being deported to Thailand so bad ? She can bring her daughter back with her .

Who would want to stay in the USA anyway? Never fancied the place myself to be honest hence why I live in Asia but suppose I'm selfish lol

Oh God, not another whinging Scot..... which part of the USA would you not want to stay in... and which part have you visited. Makes me cringe ..... Why don't people like you just keep your stupid thoughts to yourself and leave this forum to people who have something that resembles a brain.... Get back to Bonnie Glesca and keep dreaming...... reminds me of the old joke... what's the difference between a cactus and Scotland.... A cactus has pricks on the outside..... blah, blah...

it is depressing. another young person may have to attend a Thai "school" during their most formative years. depressing but a prospect shared by many simply by being born a Thai. of course, there are some Thai that have a different prospect, but not many. and that goes for most of the private school attendees, not just government school attendees. unless they are sequestered away from a society that is barely at all literate; that of comic books, fashion mags and tabloid newspapers..... including especially the two English only ones. Both of them

Edited by maewang99

buy a ticket to Mexico and then just walk thro the border with all the other migrants.. instantly processed and given all the rights like the rest of the immirants claiming to be refugees (mostly Chinese and indians for the past few months)

buy a ticket to Mexico and then just walk thro the border with all the other migrants.. instantly processed and given all the rights like the rest of the immirants claiming to be refugees (mostly Chinese and indians for the past few months)

I'm guessing you never tried that yourself. You should try it. The experience might be good for you.

And you know it don't happen that way.

If the guy was suffering from a disease there was probably enough time to make proper arrangements before. Especially with the child's future at stake. What if the guy didn't actually want to marry her?

I hope the authorities decide keeping in mind what is best for the child.

In the TV report his mother strongly supports her staying and believes her son expected to have more time to clear things up - he had not advised anyone of his condition so likely did not want to call attention to it by acting rushed.

With draconian immigration laws towards Farang in Thailand my heart does not bleed an ounce of blood for her plight

What draconian laws are those? Thais have to jump through hoops just to get a tourist visa to the UK. In comparison UK citizens only have to turn up at the airport and get 30 days.

Kind of mind boggling how much is riding on this.

First is her ability to stay in the USA. And how she'll support herself and their daughter.

Then there's the guy's estate, which I would figure he'd want his daughter and her mother to have.

Then there are any veteran's (and survivor's) benefits that I'm sure his daughter deserves, but probably must be entrusted to an adult.

In some states, they'd be considered married by common law, with or without a document. But not in others.

The lady needs a lawyer. I hope the veteran's wishes are honored.

On an aside, I wonder if the guy's liver cancer may have been related to a diet of uncooked fish sauce and crab from his time in Thailand? Scary thought.

Edited by impulse

Oh God, not another whinging Scot..... which part of the USA would you not want to stay in... and which part have you visited. Makes me cringe ..... Why don't people like you just keep your stupid thoughts to yourself and leave this forum to people who have something that resembles a brain.... Get back to Bonnie Glesca and keep dreaming...... reminds me of the old joke... what's the difference between a cactus and Scotland.... A cactus has pricks on the outside..... blah, blah...

"Why don't people like you just keep your stupid thoughts to yourself and leave this forum to people who have something that resembles a brain"

​Are you referring to yourself & your fellow Americans on here? I really had to laugh when I read that.

In reality who would want to live in a country where 75% of the population is American, and the rest are Mexican. Doesn't sound like any kind of paradise to me.

P.S. Maybe he is not a Scot and his name is Scot. Maybe he even comes from America. Open your mind.

Edited by NoBrainer

It's not like she's a refugee and faces certain death if she comes back. No tears from me.

Other governments should treat more Thai's with the reciprocal treatment many people are facing here in Thailand when t comes to visa's, opening a business, or buying land.

In reality who would want to live in a country where 75% of the population is American, and the rest are Mexican. Doesn't sound like any kind of paradise to me.

And yet, 650,000 citizens of other countries got their US passports last year. Over a million in 2008.

How many left their home countries and moved to your little slice of paradise?

With draconian immigration laws towards Farang in Thailand my heart does not bleed an ounce of blood for her plight

"Draconian", really? Feeling a little sorry for ourselves, are we? I guarantee you it's a lot harder for a Thai to stay legally in the USA than for a farang to stay legally in Thailand. So what would that make US immigration laws? Vile?

commonsense please US government, wife of a ex-serviceman, mother of a young child, let her stay.

surely, the biggest family of all, those who have served their country, can apply some political muscle.

The man served in the United States Navy and was compensated accordingly with wages, and benefits including health care and pension that the typical US citizen can only dream of. His estate will receive money. The point being that the woman is not "entitled" to a pass on the law that the representatives of the US people effected.

Common sense says that if the man moved to Thailand in 1998 at the age of 39, and they had a child, now aged 11, then he had

a long time, almost 2 decades to consider the immigration issues. He had over a decade to be a responsible adult and to protect his girlfriend and the child born out of wedlock.

Common sense says that if the man had really cared for this woman, and was aware of his impending death, the immigration issue would have been addressed. He moved back to the USA last summer. There was a reason for that and common sense says that it was to access the free health care at the VA. A marriage could have been effected at the local courthouse in under 30 minutes. Derry isn't a big town.

The are worse hard luck stories that apply to many other immigrants. The fact that the deceased served in the USN is irrelevant, There are thousands of US veterans who did the right thing for their domestic partners and had to go through the necessary steps and procedures and waits. Your suggestion rewards someone who obviously didn't consider the issue serious enough to address in the prior 11+ years after the child was born.

yes, some of the points raised are valid.

yes, could have sorted the issues before becoming time critical.

your views are correct in a very dry sense.

yes, my dva [dva aus vet affairs] is sorted for my wife, the departed did not do this, but it is about a child and her mother.

it is about the american psyche, they all come home, if australia had arlington, we would be well served.

it is not about regulations, it is about servicemen and their family.

a man dying, ptsd, stress, maybe his decisions were not thought out, but a child and her mother should not suffer.