PM threatens 10 year prison sentence for politicians who criticize referendum

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

President Franklin Delano Roosevelt died on this day, April 12, in 1945.

In his State of the Union Message to the U.S. Congress in January 1941, he identified four fundamental freedoms that people "everywhere in the world" ought to enjoy and here is the first one:

“The first is freedom of speech and expression—everywhere in the world."

Edited by LannaGuy

In his State of the Union Message to the U.S. Congress in January 1941, he identified four fundamental freedoms that people "everywhere in the world" ought to enjoy and here is the first one:

PC put an end to that

This is the next step toward a open, free, and fair referendum on the military's latest version of an inclusive, respectful, democratic constitution.

A good read on this referendum from Pravit can be found here: Charter Vote a Time Bomb in the Making

I'm actually glad that The Lapdog Nation fired Pravit, he has more latitude at KS. thumbsup.gif

"Instead of offering a real light at the end of the tunnel, the public is more likely to get a sham vote on a bogus ballot."

Indeed.

Ah.......but there is a real light at the end of the tunnel. It is stuck to the front of Prayuths train full of non elected senators .

This is the next step toward a open, free, and fair referendum on the military's latest version of an inclusive, respectful, democratic constitution.

A good read on this referendum from Pravit can be found here: Charter Vote a Time Bomb in the Making

I'm actually glad that The Lapdog Nation fired Pravit, he has more latitude at KS. thumbsup.gif

"Instead of offering a real light at the end of the tunnel, the public is more likely to get a sham vote on a bogus ballot."

Indeed.

Ah.......but there is a real light at the end of the tunnel. It is stuck to the front of Prayuths train full of non elected senators .

elections,erections. As Stalin once said, it's not the voters who are important,it's the people counting the votes,

Just empty threats. No politicians, activists, editors and even students are afraid of these regular display of idioscrantic outburst. Even the intimidating AA has worn off and not frightening anyone to denounce what they stand for. Just what laws are there to jail someone for 10 years for speaking out. Well unless 44 and that will ignite something that the junta will regret.

I don't even see any angry warning after Thaksin held his more than 5 person Skype meeting. Ahbisit also have his more than 5 conference and spoke in no uncertain terms of the charter negativities. Even little Penquin is daring the junta to do something. Just read the today article in BP and harsh comments about the junta charter. It's almost daily that articles appearing condemning the charter.

What is he going do. Jail all. Doubt so. We will see more condemnation of the charter as politicians and sundries will push the envelope and dare the junta who is getting more and more unpopular to do something. If that something happen, viola, creat an excuse for the people to congregate for a common cause. For all the fierce some facade, he is a unsecured and ordinary guy and doubt he will lay down his life and his pride for other people cause. He is not into this for himself, just a crony acting on orders.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the empty threats although he could just imprison a few to try to act as a deterrent.

I'm not so sure about him being a crony acting on orders though. However despite the fact he said he now had complete control of the country with article 44 (that's his translated words not mine and there may be a English word for that) he only has that control with the backing of the army. At the moment that means the generals and other top brass. That's why you won't see any great action taken against them and their privileges. There seems to be an easing of pressure on the police as well maybe for the same reason.

The big question is the level of support in the lower ranks. There were several posters on here a couple of years ago that said a coup wasn't possible due to the lower ranks not being willing to take part. That obviously wasn't the case but I don't know how far or how long their support will last.

wow. Great time to remind us of the great FDR!

Yes a good well written article.

Did he write it, or did he have some help from Thaksin and the red shirts?

Just empty threats. No politicians, activists, editors and even students are afraid of these regular display of idioscrantic outburst. Even the intimidating AA has worn off and not frightening anyone to denounce what they stand for. Just what laws are there to jail someone for 10 years for speaking out. Well unless 44 and that will ignite something that the junta will regret.

I don't even see any angry warning after Thaksin held his more than 5 person Skype meeting. Ahbisit also have his more than 5 conference and spoke in no uncertain terms of the charter negativities. Even little Penquin is daring the junta to do something. Just read the today article in BP and harsh comments about the junta charter. It's almost daily that articles appearing condemning the charter.

What is he going do. Jail all. Doubt so. We will see more condemnation of the charter as politicians and sundries will push the envelope and dare the junta who is getting more and more unpopular to do something. If that something happen, viola, creat an excuse for the people to congregate for a common cause. For all the fierce some facade, he is a unsecured and ordinary guy and doubt he will lay down his life and his pride for other people cause. He is not into this for himself, just a crony acting on orders.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the empty threats although he could just imprison a few to try to act as a deterrent.

I'm not so sure about him being a crony acting on orders though. However despite the fact he said he now had complete control of the country with article 44 (that's his translated words not mine and there may be a English word for that) he only has that control with the backing of the army. At the moment that means the generals and other top brass. That's why you won't see any great action taken against them and their privileges. There seems to be an easing of pressure on the police as well maybe for the same reason.

The big question is the level of support in the lower ranks. There were several posters on here a couple of years ago that said a coup wasn't possible due to the lower ranks not being willing to take part. That obviously wasn't the case but I don't know how far or how long their support will last.

This guy and the elites are old school that still think that power dictates the people aspiration and freedom. They got the police chief, a close friend of Prawit and selected by Prawit as the Police chief and of course the Easter Tiger brotherhood. As you said, that means sidelining a lot of unhappy generals. Things are very much different from the day he took power and have support from the people who are happy to see chaos off the streets. The situation now is totally different with bad economy and the draconian governance that got their yellow supporters growing increasingly unhappy. Really a ticking time bomb waiting for a unpopular act to have people on the street.

Did he write it, or did he have some help from Thaksin and the red shirts?

I don't know but maybe there's hope for them yet.?

It's anti junta so I suppose they would agree but it's not only redshirts who have issues with this.

I'm hoping Khun Abhisit, now he seems to have grown some balls, does not U-Turn (which he probably will saying "what I really meant was...") as this could be his 'hour' if he stands up rather than crawl around the floor as he usually does.

Cometh the Hour Cometh the Man Khun Abhisit

"I'm hoping Khun Abhisit, now he seems to have grown some balls..."

Has he grown a pair or is he representing a faction of the old elite who are not happy with the cantankerous one? Only time will tell. One thing is for sure; if the "PM" continues down this road there will be sanctions imposed on Thailand.

And if the wallets of the wealthy start to hurt I don't think the "PM" will last for long.

I'm hoping Khun Abhisit, now he seems to have grown some balls, does not U-Turn (which he probably will saying "what I really meant was...") as this could be his 'hour' if he stands up rather than crawl around the floor as he usually does.

Cometh the Hour Cometh the Man Khun Abhisit

The country needs somebody, but it's not Abhisit. He has no political credibility left after shamelessly occupying the premiership in an unelected capacity (moreover displaying no political ability as PM), and more recently by boycotting an election he knew he couldn't win. No, this is not the guy for the country's future. He's part of the problem.

In truth, there is nobody. Right now, one would expect somebody new to get getting themselves in position. Big opportunity for someone, but they'll probably have to spend some time in prison first. The biggest name they lock up will be the one. YL?

I like Abhisit, if given a second chance I think he'd make a good go of it.

I do actually like him.... and would like to see him get a second chance...

Now that Suthep is out of the picture I do believe he would be freer to be himself rather than having to tow the line.

I agree with Eric that he is a crony. A blunt tool put to use to ensure the correct faction is in power for the transition, meaning he needs to stay in power until that occurs and, more importantly, until the turmoil that the transition will unleash settles down. He says what he says because that's the official narrative. You won't see any great action taken against him, his generals and their privileges, because he has the backing of some very powerful people.

I know it's not democratic, but I would like to see all of the politicians in prison for 10 years. I'm tired of those divisive, self-serving, squabbling,corrupt people. It's been relative Heaven since they were all shut up. ... Sorry, if I've upset any Democracy purists.

Not at all, it is a perfectly valid point of view.

You don't like politicians, don't think that the Thai people should be able to select/elect their own government, and rather approve of a junta ruling by decree.

As I said, a perfectly valid point of view, albeit a pretty despicable one (in my view) which really plumbs the depths of the contempt which some here have for the rights of the Thai people.

But you are entitled to your point of view

Edited by JAG

I was one of them.

This coup is based upon and worked because of the the belief/fear of the population that the junta actually has the strength to take widespread action if they want to. That belief/fear is underpinned by the 2010 shootings, carried out by a relatively small number of units in the Bangkok Garrison which the generals could rely on. I don' t know, but suspect that those units are recruited from very specific areas, and officered by members of the "right teams".

So far when the military has needed to act they have managed by using relatively small numbers of "enforcers" drawn, it is my impression, from the regular (not conscript) elements, predominately within various headquarters.

I would still argue that the rank and file, predominately conscript, predominately drawn from the poorer and rural sectors of the population, would be unwilling to take part." Stagging on" at checkpoints is one thing. Going into action against the ordinary people is another. They won't shoot their own...

Edited by JAG

Where is the "restoring democracy" and the "reconciliation" in this?

There is none.

Lies and more disgusting lies.

You do that - put (more) people in prison - and you are going to find even more of the outside world is "not understanding" you to the extent you can only trade with China... and you, sir, can trust them about as much as anyone else can trust you.

I like Abhisit, if given a second chance I think he'd make a good go of it.

I do actually like him.... and would like to see him get a second chance...

Now that Suthep is out of the picture I do believe he would be freer to be himself rather than having to tow the line.

Yes, I think most expats were happy with him as PM. Shame Thaksin ruined it for him.

A post in violation of the following forum rule has been removed as well as the replies:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Has the 10 year sentence already been passed as law ?

If not, does that mean everyone can criticise until it is passed?

Abhisit has finally found his balls it seems, will he be sent for AA I wonder?

What law? Now the 'law' is anything the 'happiness leader' says it is.

When all this began I sort of knew where it was all headed. I mentioned to many friends " be careful what you wish for". No, no they said, you are wrong, just wait & see. Well we have waited & now we see. And it's really scary & this is far from over

Its true. my bro in law is a junta n current government supporter. He was all so happy and full of righteousness for the coup. Now he is being given a date soon which he has to move his shop of 10 years (the shop is legally rented from the government) out of a certain location because of the returning happiness to people reform. When my father-in-law and the family ask him does he feel happy now that he is finally returning happiness to the people by getting chased out and given no alternatives by the junta... for once he is speechless.

Edited by Moonmoon