PR rep shoots herself dead at Navy firing range in Bangkok

webfact

PR rep shoots herself dead at Navy firing range in Bangkok

tr1.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- A public relations representative shot herself dead at the Navy firing range in Bang Na on Tuesday.

She was apparently suffering from bipolar disorder.

Lawan Plangwitwattana, 31, had gone to the range inside the sports club on Sukhumvit Road and asked to do some shooting practice. She was given a .38 gun and fifty bullets, , Thairath reports.

After she had fired at targets twice and one was being changed she turned the gun on herself. She shot herself in the right temple the bullet going through to the left side.

She was found lying face up in a pool of blood.

Nathawut Panitkun of Bang Na police said that the woman was a public relations representative of a company in the Rama Two area of Bangkok. She was suffering from the mental disorder known as bipolar.

A study of CCTV showed that she had committed suicide.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png

-- 2016-04-13

Any gun range where anyone can walk in willy nilly and rent a gun like renting pair of shoes in a bawling ally,

should expect some kind of troubles from such lack in basic safety measures...

so what would you suggest, bring along your medical history and take a psychiatric test before being allowed on the range ? If someone wants to kill themselves they will do it no matter where and in the end that is their right to do so

This seems to be an international trend especially within the age limit 15 , 45 , suicide in OZ, there are 3 per day , the biggest death rate is in the 15 to 45 with 2500 per year well above any other causes , today is teenage suicide day in OZ , so it is no brainer where I got those stats from , the point being there is plenty of help out there in OZ, but is it so easy in Thai , depression is a major factor , help is one thing , however when you are in teenage years sometimes the problem is total personal, you don't wish to talk about...............................coffee1.gif

Any gun range where anyone can walk in willy nilly and rent a gun like renting pair of shoes in a bawling ally,

so what would you suggest, bring along your medical history and take a psychiatric test before being allowed on the range ? If someone wants to kill themselves they will do it no matter where and in the end that is their right to do so

Exactly...

guns don't kill people..etc. She would of done it anywhere.

Preventing suicide is near impossible...but people should know where to go, if they are just depressed. "Right to kill yourself" is a non issue, by default. I suppose you mean we should not morn her decision. I do pity her friends and family, however.

Edited by slipperylobster

A public relations representative shot herself dead at the Navy firing range in Bang Na on Tuesday.

Curious....

Tuesday would be April 12th.

According to the Navy Shooting website* posted March 26th, the range will be closed April 12-15 and re-open on the 16th.

As an aside.

While such a military facility is typically financed from legislative-approved government funding (ie., revenue originating from Thai taxpayers), the Thai military is allowed to own natural resources, land and land improvements. Thus, commercial revenue from this facility might accrue solely to the military for its personal use. Since the Minister of Defense is active military, public accountability of such revenues might not be vigorously persued.

*http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=en&langpair=th|en&u=http%3A//www.navyshooting.com/2015/

......does not sound right at all....

...if she was diagnosed as 'bi-polar'..... would she have been allowed inside a gun range....let alone to handle a gun.....

....smells like ...something or someone(s)....drove her to it....

...P.R.Rep ........God the stories she would have been able to tell.....

Condolences to her family.....

This seems to be an international trend especially within the age limit 15 , 45 , suicide in OZ, there are 3 per day , the biggest death rate is in the 15 to 45 with 2500 per year well above any other causes , today is teenage suicide day in OZ , so it is no brainer where I got those stats from , the point being there is plenty of help out there in OZ, but is it so easy in Thai , depression is a major factor , help is one thing , however when you are in teenage years sometimes the problem is total personal, you don't wish to talk about...............................coffee1.gif

Nz does not publish suicides but is touted as one or if not the highest rates of suicide in the world.

I read in a medical research article, and there are many articles,that suicides and anti depressants are related , --- it is also a fact that almost in every school mass shooting anti depressants are associated .

A new antideprssant just released which the drug companies hope to be the next block buster in sales is reported in some medical research articles by highly respected scientists as a 'killer" about to be released.

These drugs do nothing to cure depression they only numb things, making it worse in the long run and creating worthlessness.

When I asked my doctor why they are handing out these drugs, he replied don't believe what you read on the nett.

The articles or the majority of against antidpressants are written by well researched and qualified people.

The association to school shootings is a fact.

Dr's are also busy handing out nsaid drugs such as Ibuprophen which are associated with strokes and stomach ulcers.

The best cure for depression is a change of diet and exercise, but maybe hard if you have no job, money , the state of the world as it is at the moment -- the drug companies thrive in the environment.

um yeah in most civilised

Countries

R i P ? ... Well I know it is would have and should have not "would of" & "should of" and they should have pursued rather than persude.. but I am pedantic that way...or maybe I am Bi-Polar - is that a phobia about both the North and South poles ?

You have not been to a gun range I see. They are all like this. What security measure can you put in place that would prevent a person from killing themselves? Generally speaking, things operate on the principal that people want to stay alive.

It's called taking responsibility for your actions. Or are you suggesting everyone with mental issues should be locked up?

actions like this ruin it for the sporting shooter. Similar happened in Australia, a lady borrowed a gun and topped herself, from then on it was just harder for legitimate sporting ranges and clubs.

so what would you suggest, bring along your medical history and take a psychiatric test before being allowed on the range ?

Yes.

Apply a week in advance, unless one has full gun license. A proper gun license, not one bought in a Yee-Haa Partner candy store.

...probably a good idea to have at least some sort of safeguard in place. Basically the same precautions should apply to membership in sports shooting clubs that apply to gun ownership: A basic background search so that convicted felons and people with known mental issues cannot become members. One week would perhaps be too little, say, 30 days. If non-members are allowed to shoot they would have to have an instructor next to them.

What lack? Firing range protocols need to include a pshyciatric report? Pistol Shooting Clubs would lose half the membership !cheesy.gif

......does not sound right at all....

...if she was diagnosed as 'bi-polar'..... would she have been allowed inside a gun range....let alone to handle a gun.....

....smells like ...something or someone(s)....drove her to it....

...P.R.Rep ........God the stories she would have been able to tell.....

Condolences to her family.....

Just wondering how exactly does a business know their customers medical history?

Wanting to off yourself is about as unnatural a state as it gets. It's a chemical imbalance- try hyperiforte- aka St John's Wort just a simple remedy made from flowers can work wonders on this malady. Blackmore's brand imports to Thailand- find it at Boots. Give it about 3 weeks to work. Don't suffer these destructive thoughts when it may be easily remedied.

I hear what you're saying, but I think its a bit unfair to the range in this case. This type of event is almost impossible to stop. Its been a while since i've shot a pistol, but I don't recall anyone standing over me as I shot. In either case, once the client has the firearm in their hands they have control. I'm certainly not going to try to wrestle it away from her.

Just sad. sad.png

What lack? Firing range protocols need to include a pshyciatric report? Pistol Shooting Clubs would lose half the membership !cheesy.gif

Great!

Perhaps they might move on to other ways of substituting for the missing inches.

Nz does not publish suicides but is touted as one or if not the highest rates of suicide in the world.

I read in a medical research article, and there are many articles,that suicides and anti depressants are related , --- it is also a fact that almost in every school mass shooting anti depressants are associated .

A new antideprssant just released which the drug companies hope to be the next block buster in sales is reported in some medical research articles by highly respected scientists as a 'killer" about to be released.

These drugs do nothing to cure depression they only numb things, making it worse in the long run and creating worthlessness.

When I asked my doctor why they are handing out these drugs, he replied don't believe what you read on the nett.

The articles or the majority of against antidpressants are written by well researched and qualified people.

The association to school shootings is a fact.

Dr's are also busy handing out nsaid drugs such as Ibuprophen which are associated with strokes and stomach ulcers.

The best cure for depression is a change of diet and exercise, but maybe hard if you have no job, money , the state of the world as it is at the moment -- the drug companies thrive in the environment.

You obviously you know what the score is on this one, but it's the makers of the drugs who author the inserts which list suicide and acute depression as known side effects.In my experience the only people who deny this factoid are doctors---as they're ignorant beyond measure, but unlike the majority of people they actually think that they don't need to read up on things to better themselves, they're that far gone.