Songkran and pickpocketing - they nearly got me, be careful!

1234asdf

Almost stole my shopping bag at Big C. Paranoia or not??? ahead of me 2 women with 1 man. 2 shopping carts worth of purchases. i waited until they paid. all their purchases were already placed in the shopping carts (green big c plastic bags. the man was standing at the foot of the cashier counter (where packed bags are placed) i was watching the scanned prices on screen. then at time to pay total i notice none of my 2 bags are heavy ( knew there were bottles of expensive import beer) i ask cashier where is it? suddenly and instantaneously the man retrieves my bag from his shopping cart and says "sorry". IMO he knew damn well what he did as there was zero hesitation, zero delay, zero thought in retrieving my bag., and all his/their purchased had already been paid and placed in cart.

what do you think??

my thoughts; low life pos

• Like 2

Almost stole my shopping bag at Big C. Paranoia or not??? ahead of me 2 women with 1 man. 2 shopping carts worth of purchases. i waited until they paid. all their purchases were already placed in the shopping carts (green big c plastic bags. the man was standing at the foot of the cashier counter (where packed bags are placed) i was watching the scanned prices on screen. then at time to pay total i notice none of my 2 bags are heavy ( knew there were bottles of expensive import beer) i ask cashier where is it? suddenly and instantaneously the man retrieves my bag from his shopping cart and says "sorry". IMO he knew damn well what he did as there was zero hesitation, zero delay, zero thought in retrieving my bag., and all his/their purchased had already been paid and placed in cart.

what do you think??

I think he picked up your bag by mistake. It happens.

They're not all out to get you.

• Like 1

what do you think??

I think judging this from a distance is not possible.
  • Like 1

Be thankful you were not injured.

When people lose everything, they lose it and will do anything for money to eat.

Pick pocketing and violent physical crime is accelerating all around planet earth.

When in crowds use common sense. Leave valuables in a safe, no jewelry, put money/important documents where they can't be grabbed like a money belt or inside a shoe.

I personally avoid crowds and I'm always aware who is behind me. Whoever anyone approaches me on a public street I don't know I ignore and angle around them quickly. If they are shirtless, or are drunk, I'm in a defensive posture.

People who get their pockets picked have no one to blame, but themselves.

Everyone should take self defense lessons and practice avoidance! Carry anything legal that is handy and can be used as a weapon. A metal pen, keys on a small wooden or metal rod that can inflict pain on the face and eyes of an attacker enabling one to retreat quickly.

The street theft problem will increase worldwide in time with the financial retreat.

The folks not prepared will be the victims.

I really miss common sense!

Yep,...streetwise !!!....and always have sort of decoy wallet or similar thing that is unimportant with a small amount of money, just for some drinks !!!

keep Passport and more money well hidden on your body were you can feel it ! Up to ones imagination ! upper, lower leg, belly, chest, back...?!?

If in a restaurant, go to the toilet to retrieve a bit of money for the food and some drinks later ?!?!? always refill the decoy in a private place.

I know ! it looks elaborate and a lot of people would laugh at me for this ...and I never cared about it....Worked for me for over 30 years backpacking in SE Asia, N Africa.!!! I Always looked not wealthy thus uninteresting for robbers.!! Part for my expensive professional camera witch I always managed to keep away of sight at awkward moments...

Just Common sense !.... ! this is the price to pay for a safe and interesting travel.....!

Giving to much information can help the robbers too...

Best regards.Off Road Pat.

Several years ago when there was a huge maga-arena event in Bangkok..I forget which band, the police busted several Vietnamese pickpocketing gangs working the show.

Stories at the time stated Viet gangs were noted for their skill and that they traveled all around Asia to big events and festivals....any place there would be a well heeled crowd. They would do there work and be gone that night. In this case, the police had been tipped off and were following them.

I was pickpocketed at Chatuchak 10 years ago. Really dumb on my part: withdrew B10,000 from an ATM in Chatuchak in plain sight of a thousand people and then put my wallet in a lower pocket of my cargo shorts. I didn't even know it was gone until I went to pay for a purchase. When I reported it at the security office, I was number 5 for that day and number 6 walked in before I finished. The Tourist Police officer on duty told me that Chatuchak was #1, Hualumphung Railway Station #2 and Mor Chit bus station #3 for pickpocketing.

what do you think??

I think he picked up your bag by mistake. It happens.

They're not all out to get you.

the speed at which he pulled my bag (amongst many many bags that all look the same) was remarkable. the foot of cashier station was empty, no bags when my checkout began. that was time for them to leave with their carts and purchases completed. in a society that nearly 80% feel comfortable with corruption (stealing from others) why do find it unlikely he may have tried to grab a free bag???????

Get ready for an avalanche of apologists explaining

2. That it could happen anywhere.

3. That's it's much worse in Sydney/London/Paris/Seattle, etc.

Pickpocketing does happen all over the World and its certainly a lot worse in some other Countries

So because it is worse somewhere else means that he does not have the right to post about his experience with pickpocketing IN THAILAND on a THAILAND forum?..... How bizarre your mind works.

Don't worry, I am sure it happened, at the Festival of Lights in Nakhon Phanom, a huge crowd and all I felt was a brush past me, but I was very aware and I slapped the hand and turned and it was an older Lao lady and she definitely was into pickpocket trade. She started shouting at me trying to draw attention from her, but she was shocked as I pointed at her and gave her two barrels back, and louder. She hence, lost face immediately, drew attention to her and she started to try and back off and I just kept at her until she pushed thru the crowd and disappeared. My partner did not understand my actions until I explained and then he tried to find her to report her to the police, but needle in the haystack stuff. But I found it better to go on the attack when I clearly knew her activity in this instance. Piece of scum!

There is nothing worse than stealing from your own kind, steal from governments, (referring to UK here) insurance companies. banks. big business.

But never steal from ordinary people, unless they steal from you.

One of the best investments I have made in Thailand was to put zippers on all my pockets. A pain in the Butt to open and close sometimes but nothing ever falls out an no way anyone is going to pick those pockets.

Zipped pockets can easily be opened in amongst crowds by experienced pickpockets.

• Like 1

Get ready for an avalanche of apologists explaining

2. That it could happen anywhere.

3. That's it's much worse in Sydney/London/Paris/Seattle, etc.

Pickpocketing does happen all over the World and its certainly a lot worse in some other Countries

So because it is worse somewhere else means that he does not have the right to post about his experience with pickpocketing IN THAILAND on a THAILAND forum?..... How bizarre your mind works.

That isnt how my mind works though , I didnt say or imply that he has no right to post about it on here .

I really cannot understand why you thought that , most odd

i have acquired an automated reaction i am not even consciously aware of doing it. if my space is impinged in any way my hand goes straight to my wallet and stays there till the space is clear

have i ever succumbed? yes once possibly twice both by girl of advanced repute. i didnt feel my space was being impinged. they do staring and murmur while stinking their hand in your pocket.

unsuccessful attempt by various other characters, too may to remember.

Same. If I'm walking through a busy area my hands naturally go into my pockets, making wallet and phone pretty much impossible to be stolen

They can be stolen quite easily in that situation, there are plenty of ways for pickpockets to get your attention where you may have to use your hands.

Anyone walking slowly in ie, a crowded market, with their hand, or hands, in their pockets is a bit of a giveaway to a professional pickpocket.

When people lose everything, they lose it and will do anything for money to eat.

Pick pocketing and violent physical crime is accelerating all around planet earth.

When in crowds use common sense. Leave valuables in a safe, no jewelry, put money/important documents where they can't be grabbed like a money belt or inside a shoe.

I personally avoid crowds and I'm always aware who is behind me. Whoever anyone approaches me on a public street I don't know I ignore and angle around them quickly. If they are shirtless, or are drunk, I'm in a defensive posture.

Everyone should take self defense lessons and practice avoidance! Carry anything legal that is handy and can be used as a weapon. A metal pen, keys on a small wooden or metal rod that can inflict pain on the face and eyes of an attacker enabling one to retreat quickly.

The street theft problem will increase worldwide in time with the financial retreat.

I have to go along with that.

Yep,...streetwise !!!....and always have sort of decoy wallet or similar thing that is unimportant with a small amount of money, just for some drinks !!!

keep Passport and more money well hidden on your body were you can feel it ! Up to ones imagination ! upper, lower leg, belly, chest, back...?!?

If in a restaurant, go to the toilet to retrieve a bit of money for the food and some drinks later ?!?!? always refill the decoy in a private place.

I know ! it looks elaborate and a lot of people would laugh at me for this ...and I never cared about it....Worked for me for over 30 years backpacking in SE Asia, N Africa.!!! I Always looked not wealthy thus uninteresting for robbers.!! Part for my expensive professional camera witch I always managed to keep away of sight at awkward moments...

Just Common sense !.... ! this is the price to pay for a safe and interesting travel.....!

Giving to much information can help the robbers too...

Best regards.Off Road Pat.

keep Passport and more money well hidden.

Why are you carrying your passport? Unless you are on your way, or coming from an IO, or somewhere your passport is really necessary. keep it in your house

or safe in your hotel. Never mind the stupid law that says you must keep your passport on you at all times. ID is sufficient.

Is that a banana in your pocket ?

yes it is

attachicon.gifunderwear-with-pockets.png

Is that a banana in your pocket ?

I remember a duo in the UK back in the eighties who had exactly that when they were "performing" on stage.

Hint. The "guitarist" couldn't play, the real one was playing hiding behind the curtain.

Edited by possum1931

So this was like a 20-strong pickpocket gang?

I think there's a little paranoia at work here.

Where did you get the number 20? I think there's a little exaggeration going on ... and I'm not talking about the OP.

Where did you get the number 20? I think there's a little exaggeration going on ... and I'm not talking about the OP.

The bit about everyone in the crowd around him being complicit in the act.

The bit about everyone in the crowd around him being complicit in the act.

"Half a dozen" was mentioned , or did you read that as *two dozen* ?

"Then in an instant, the crowd around me breaks up, and that's partly what makes me realise something is wrong, it's an immediate and coordinated dispersal - if they had just kept up their act a little longer, or dispersed gradually, maybe I wouldn't have any idea."

Sounds like more than half a dozen people to me. Also sounds like a paranoid fantasy where an entire crowd of Thai people conspire to rob somebody.

"Then in an instant, the crowd around me breaks up, and that's partly what makes me realise something is wrong, it's an immediate and coordinated dispersal - if they had just kept up their act a little longer, or dispersed gradually, maybe I wouldn't have any idea."

Sounds like more than half a dozen people to me. Also sounds like a paranoid fantasy where an entire crowd of Thai people conspire to rob somebody.

Two or three in front and one either side sounds like 5, to me .

He didnt say the "entire crowd" .

The story sounds quite believable, to me, pickpockets often work in groups

• Like 1

i have acquired an automated reaction i am not even consciously aware of doing it. if my space is impinged in any way my hand goes straight to my wallet and stays there till the space is clear

have i ever succumbed? yes once possibly twice both by girl of advanced repute. i didnt feel my space was being impinged. they do staring and murmur while stinking their hand in your pocket.

Same. If I'm walking through a busy area my hands naturally go into my pockets, making wallet and phone pretty much impossible to be stolen

They can be stolen quite easily in that situation, there are plenty of ways for pickpockets to get your attention where you may have to use your hands.

Anyone walking slowly in ie, a crowded market, with their hand, or hands, in their pockets is a bit of a giveaway to a professional pickpocket.

Good point. Next time I'm in a crowded area I'll keep my hands above my head and my pockets open

• Like 1

Please explain how, when I have, and keep, my hands on my cash in my pocket that a thief can grab it?

hasn't happened so far!!

Please explain how, when I have, and keep, my hands on my cash in my pocket that a thief can grab it?

hasn't happened so far!!

Maybe if the gang of thieves contains ladyboy's and they go after your crown jewelry, thus separating you hands from you money to protect your innocence.

Then the other member (who is not going near your member) relieves you of your currency.

These gangs work in mysterious and cunning ways.

Edited by HLover
  • Like 1