What are the "hidden costs" of relocating to Phuket?

mrchicago

There seems to be a perception with some posters that electricity is relatively more expensive in Phuket than in their home countries.

Actually at less than 4 baht per kWh here in Phuket it is marginally cheaper than the US at 4.2 kWh.

In UK the average cost is 7 baht and where I come from in Oz it is 9 baht per kWh.

How I wish it was 'less than 4 baht per kWh' for electricity.

I compute the kWh charge each month for each of our properties and it is more than 4 baht. Yes perhaps if you have a small home and use not much electric then it might be less than 4 baht.

But in a commercial property the charge is higher and this is passed onto the tenant. Sometimes marked up to 6 and more baht.

And we have not even talked about water charges ...

Ok ....let's talk about water charges......the owner of my property has a well.... like a lot of places in Rawai.......and charges me 100 baht a month smile.png

I know charges for town water are much higher.......

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a perception with some posters that electricity is relatively more expensive in Phuket than in their home countries.

Actually at less than 4 baht per kWh here in Phuket it is marginally cheaper than the US at 4.2 kWh.

In UK the average cost is 7 baht and where I come from in Oz it is 9 baht per kWh.

I compute the kWh charge each month for each of our properties and it is more than 4 baht. Yes perhaps if you have a small home and use not much electric then it might be less than 4 baht.

But in a commercial property the charge is higher and this is passed onto the tenant. Sometimes marked up to 6 and more baht.

Yes only a small home.....there are incremental steps for cost per kWh....... http://www.mea.or.th/aboutelectric/index.php?l=en&tid=4&mid=280&pid=116&ctForm=form11

The unit charge for my rented house is 5 bht, but I know others are charged 7 bht for houses they have bought on a v expensive 'managed' estate.

Compared to the combined gas and electricity charges back in the UK, my elec bills here are lower, but I used one hell of a lot more power in the UK as it had all the 'mod cons', whereas much as I love my rented house here - I can't turn on high power appliances (in the same room) at the same time laugh.png .

It also came as a bit of a shock when my elec bills went up to 3-4,000 bht p.m. after living here for a few months. It was shocking 'cos my previous house had a swimming pool and the monthly bill was around 1,500 bht, whereas this house doesn't have a swimming pool.

It took months of arguments about the bill until the landlord changed the meter, and hey presto (!) the bill went down to a more acceptable figure - for a year or so....

But this is off topic, has nothing to do with the overall financial cost of living on Phuket and is just part of the expat experience smile.png .

I would encourage the OP to visit Phuket for as long as possible before either accepting the offer, negotiating a higher salary, or refusing the offer.

To expand on DonaldBattles' post:

Phuket does have the highest road fatality rate in Thailand, and Thailand has one of the highest road fatality rates in the world, so that makes Phuket one of the most dangerous places, if not the most dangerous place, to be on the road, AND, they only count the fatality if the road user dies at the scene, not in a hospital, after the accident, so, the stats would be much more worse than reported.

Reported crime is on the rise here, but of particular concern is the increase in violence related to crime here. In my opinion, harsher economic times and drugs, particularly ice, are the two main causes of the increase, both of which are only going to get worse in the future. Policing on Phuket is non-existent. We have some of Thailand's most corrupt police here, many of whom have paid to be transferred to Phuket because police bribes and extortion reaps more reward here, and they do it with impunity. This results in criminals remaining in the community, and attracts criminals to Phuket, because they know if they are caught, they can pay their way out of it.

In relation to the cost of living, Phuket is the most expensive place in South East Asia, Singapore aside. You will still find it cheaper than in the west, but considerably more expensive than the rest of Thailand, and neighboring countries. "The Phuket Tax" raises the price of everything here. smile.png

Many of the members "bashing" other members for being "Phuket bashers" are in business here, or own property here. They have a conflict of interest, and it shows in their posts. I am single, have never had a relationship with a Thai woman, have never sent money to Issan for a "sick buffalo" and have never had a business here, and have never owned a property here. You can take or leave what I say about Phuket, I don't care either way, but if you were to do some internet research, I'm sure it would confirm what I have posted.

A word of caution, Phuket is changing very fast. It's not just the property development, it's the changing demographic of tourist, and the way the tourism industry is being managed, or should I say, mismanaged, here. What gives you confidence your employment will still exist on Phuket, say, 2 years from now?

Also, for your information, Kata, Karon, Rawai etc etc - are all on Phuket. biggrin.png

Many forum members here ride a motorbike frequently, others prefer a car for safety reasons. I don't know of anybody who does not do as they please because the roads are too dangerous.

Reported crime is not on the rise, neither is violent crime. This poster has been asked many times to substantiate these claims, which he can not. Also his other claims in this regards are not substantiated, but the result of a negative mindset.

There is no Phuket tax, and the whole world is changing fast at a pace never seen before.

Some people look at life with a positive mindset, others see bears behind every tree.

I would encourage the OP to visit Phuket for as long as possible before either accepting the offer, negotiating a higher salary, or refusing the offer.

Phuket does have the highest road fatality rate in Thailand, and Thailand has one of the highest road fatality rates in the world, so that makes Phuket one of the most dangerous places, if not the most dangerous place, to be on the road, AND, they only count the fatality if the road user dies at the scene, not in a hospital, after the accident, so, the stats would be much more worse than reported.

Reported crime is on the rise here, but of particular concern is the increase in violence related to crime here. In my opinion, harsher economic times and drugs, particularly ice, are the two main causes of the increase, both of which are only going to get worse in the future. Policing on Phuket is non-existent. We have some of Thailand's most corrupt police here, many of whom have paid to be transferred to Phuket because police bribes and extortion reaps more reward here, and they do it with impunity. This results in criminals remaining in the community, and attracts criminals to Phuket, because they know if they are caught, they can pay their way out of it.

In relation to the cost of living, Phuket is the most expensive place in South East Asia, Singapore aside. You will still find it cheaper than in the west, but considerably more expensive than the rest of Thailand, and neighboring countries. "The Phuket Tax" raises the price of everything here. smile.png

Many of the members "bashing" other members for being "Phuket bashers" are in business here, or own property here. They have a conflict of interest, and it shows in their posts. I am single, have never had a relationship with a Thai woman, have never sent money to Issan for a "sick buffalo" and have never had a business here, and have never owned a property here. You can take or leave what I say about Phuket, I don't care either way, but if you were to do some internet research, I'm sure it would confirm what I have posted.

A word of caution, Phuket is changing very fast. It's not just the property development, it's the changing demographic of tourist, and the way the tourism industry is being managed, or should I say, mismanaged, here. What gives you confidence your employment will still exist on Phuket, say, 2 years from now?

Also, for your information, Kata, Karon, Rawai etc etc - are all on Phuket. biggrin.png

Many forum members here ride a motorbike frequently, others prefer a car for safety reasons. I don't know of anybody who does not do as they please because the roads are too dangerous.

Reported crime is not on the rise, neither is violent crime. This poster has been asked many times to substantiate these claims, which he can not. Also his other claims in this regards are not substantiated, but the result of a negative mindset.

There is no Phuket tax, and the whole world is changing fast at a pace never seen before.

Some people look at life with a positive mindset, others see bears behind every tree.

But he does raise some good points.

Driving here is getting a lot worse. On a scooter, that could result in death or substantial hospital bills. Driving a car could result in killing someone and substantial legal bills.

Phuket is v expensive compared to the rest of Thailand.

Not that I'd try to put the OP off coming here as he has a well-paying job, but I think he needs to be aware of Phuket's problems.

The main thing going for Phuket is that it is stunningly beautiful smile.png . Edit - along the coast.

Edited by dick dasterdly

If you don't mind your social life centering around restaurants (of varying quality), and lying on the beach (I'm assuming beer bars not your thing?), by all means, Phuket is a good place to give up any semblance of civilised cultural pursuits from book stores to art galleries, theatre, stand up comedy, music concerts. Month or two and you'll be bored out of your minds. There is also, of course, the fact that you will find it difficult to make friends with interesting people who have not yet completely lost the plot. Thailand in general, and Phuket in particular, is a Walter Mitty paradise. Come on in laugh.png

"Many forum members here ride a motorbike frequently" - and I am one of them. However, everyone must have access to a motor vehicle, or they are at the mercy of the transport mafia here, thus, Phuket has a very high rate of vehicle ownership, as there is no proper public transport here.

This causes more traffic, and more traffic causes more accidents, with many resulting in injury and death. I will not even mention the ridiculously high rate of driving / riding whilst intoxicated here.

You even suggested the OP have two cars - why?

I am definitely reading about more crimes and arrests on Phuket than in the past. In recent times, there has been a lot more arrests where the offender has had a firearm in their possession. Also, a lot more arrests for the drug ice.

Due to "rubbery" crime stats released by officials, in order to protect Phuket's tourism industry, those stats can not be relied upon, so I am going off media reports (report crime) and I am definitely reading more articles on crime here these days. One only has to look at the Phuket News Forum on TV to see this.

Phuket is not the only place in the world to experience an increase in crime, but I have noticed the violence involved has increased, so has the possession of drugs and weapons. Both a concerning trend.

Of course there is no official "Phuket tax." Did you not see the smiley face after that comment. "The Phuket Tax" is the nickname given to the higher pricing for everything on Phuket. It's a common term, haven't you heard it before? Speaking of higher pricing, didn't you recently move your business premises due to a rent increase?

There is no "negative mindset" involved. Lack of transport, increased traffic, and the high number of road fatalities on Phuket are well documented. Due to the new demographic of tourists coming to Phuket, we now have a lot more coach buses on the island. I can not give you the figure, but do you agree, or disagree, with that comment? Just because I can not post a link showing the figures, doesn't mean it's not a fact.

Don't mix up a "positive mindset" with a conflict of interests. They are two very different things.

"Many forum members here ride a motorbike frequently" - and I am one of them. However, everyone must have access to a motor vehicle, or they are at the mercy of the transport mafia here, thus, Phuket has a very high rate of vehicle ownership, as there is no proper public transport here.

This causes more traffic, and more traffic causes more accidents, with many resulting in injury and death. I will not even mention the ridiculously high rate of driving / riding whilst intoxicated here.

I am definitely reading about more crimes and arrests on Phuket than in the past. In recent times, there has been a lot more arrests where the offender has had a firearm in their possession. Also, a lot more arrests for the drug ice.

Due to "rubbery" crime stats released by officials, in order to protect Phuket's tourism industry, those stats can not be relied upon, so I am going off media reports (report crime) and I am definitely reading more articles on crime here these days. One only has to look at the Phuket News Forum on TV to see this.

Phuket is not the only place in the world to experience an increase in crime, but I have noticed the violence involved has increased, so has the possession of drugs and weapons. Both a concerning trend.

Of course there is no official "Phuket tax." Did you not see the smiley face after that comment. "The Phuket Tax" is the nickname given to the higher pricing for everything on Phuket. It's a common term, haven't you heard it before? Speaking of higher pricing, didn't you recently move your business premises due to a rent increase?

There is no "negative mindset" involved. Lack of transport, increased traffic, and the high number of road fatalities on Phuket are well documented. Due to the new demographic of tourists coming to Phuket, we now have a lot more coach buses on the island. I can not give you the figure, but do you agree, or disagree, with that comment? Just because I can not post a link showing the figures, doesn't mean it's not a fact.

Don't mix up a "positive mindset" with a conflict of interests. They are two very different things.

I will only react to your final comment, since the rest is unsubstantiated and disputed, despite this you keep on presenting your opinion as facts, and I have made very clear already that in my belief you're wrong.

But your final comment is an attack on my integrity, and deserves only one remark: no, I am not confusing positive mindset with anything else. I am giving honest advice and opinions from my point of view, which contradicts stark from your negativism.

Edited by stevenl

<snip>

NKM, I have to challenge you on this from my own recent experience with our guest security ..

For sure over the years our guests have experienced break-ins and thefts. I suspect most are 'inside' jobs, not only ladies of the night but also taxi drivers who know the guests routine.

BUT ... I can't even remember the last break-in in Nanai, Patong, more than 2 years, maybe 3 years. And never over in Kata.

NKM ... I write honestly from my own experience over many apartmenets in 3 locations. Yes I read the crime is on the increase, but I don't experience it ...

And my opinion has nothing to do with having a business in Phuket ... you well know I speak very straight and don't post here to push Phuket.

BUT given the OP selects a secure location, a gated community would be best, then this will not be a major issue ..

Edited by LivinginKata

I will only react to your final comment, since the rest is unsubstantiated and disputed, despite this you keep on presenting your opinion as facts, and I have made very clear already that in my belief you're wrong.

But your final comment is an attack on my integrity, and deserves only one remark: no, I am not confusing positive mindset with anything else. I am giving honest advice and opinions from my point of view, which contradicts stark from your negativism.

I am not attacking your integrity. I am simply suggesting that a "positive mindset" coupled with the fact you are in business here, creates a conflict of interests whereby much of what you post on this forum can be misleading.

As you are unwilling, or unable, to address the issues I have raised in my posts, with any evidence to refute my comments, why should your advice and opinions be relied upon?

Here is a couple of links in relation to my comments.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Huge-increase-in-Phuket-vehicle-numbers/9381

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Deadly-roads-fight-make-island-roads-safe/62840?desktopversion#ad-image-0

Here's an interesting article on crime and property values on Phuket.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-property/Property-Watch-Influence-crime-land-value/63586

Note the line, "With the continuing Phuket crime-waves that seem to increase each year, neighborhoods will be impacted."

As mentioned, the issues raised are well documented. They are not only my opinion.

Do you have any evidence to refute the information in these articles????

Edited by NamKangMan

I agree that Phuket is one of the most beautiful islands in Asia. I have many wonderful friends who live and work there. When they finish working most of them go somewhere else to retire. However, the quality of life has long gone. Caused by flooding of agents, mafia, residents, criminals and tourist. I maintained a business and residence in Phuket for 15 years. I see all of the changes being made are to support more people rather than increase the quality of life. With respect to crime, the records speak for themselves. It is always on the increase. My supermarket was broken into by a Thai gang of 6. The destroyed the internal camera but did not know that I had one in the front. This gang was arrested by the police and told to go home. The damage caused was severe. The bribes I had to pay to the local and provincial government for a building permit and electrical transformer were really big. These things will never change as the officials gain from it. The crime is almost all Thai and the officials turn their head. People say there are no taxes well you will pay a big income tax and 5,000 Baht per month for the privilege of having a work permit. One time that said they did not like me and refused my work permit renewal. You will also pay social security tax. Your quality of life will be a big step down from where you are currently living. Needless to say the political instability including a military law and government. I have been here for 4 different coups and they are always devastating for business. Conversely the cash flow for all business drops during this period of time. Everything in Phuket is expensive including electricity when it works. Electricity is about 12-13 US cents per KW. The laws for everything is what ever they decide it is today especially immigration and labor department. You have no significant protection under the law as you are an unwanted foreigner. This is based on my 31 years living and doing business in Thailand. You better stay home and raise a family. Thailand is no place for a western child's education and social life. You can always come here for a vacation. As an old country lawyer once told me everything is alright as long as everything is alright but when they go south the go south in a hurry in Thailand. This is not meant to discourage you but to try to tell you like it really is.

Check out the tax blogs for Americans working abroad. You may qualify for an exclusion for first USD 100k. Lots of rules like no more than thirty days in USA per year. All benifits in kind are also taxed, as you may know from your previous stint.

You should also look at opting out of IL state tax if possible. State rules are a bit different than the fed.

Local accountant to handle Fed and state returns impossible in Phuket. I use a company in Singapore. American owner and they specialise in helping Yanks. Budget for USD 500 fee plus RT air and hotels for first year. Year two and afterwards, can mail it in.E

Will they have trouble opening a Thai Baht bank account, too?

I heard that the paperwork that the Thai bank has to submit to the US government is so oppressive that they just turn down requests from US citizens to open a bank account.

This is just something I've heard, albeit from a couple of different sources.

I agree that Phuket is one of the most beautiful islands in Asia. I have many wonderful friends who live and work there. When they finish working most of them go somewhere else to retire. However, the quality of life has long gone. Caused by flooding of agents, mafia, residents, criminals and tourist. I maintained a business and residence in Phuket for 15 years. I see all of the changes being made are to support more people rather than increase the quality of life. With respect to crime, the records speak for themselves. It is always on the increase. My supermarket was broken into by a Thai gang of 6. The destroyed the internal camera but did not know that I had one in the front. This gang was arrested by the police and told to go home. The damage caused was severe. The bribes I had to pay to the local and provincial government for a building permit and electrical transformer were really big. These things will never change as the officials gain from it. The crime is almost all Thai and the officials turn their head. People say there are no taxes well you will pay a big income tax and 5,000 Baht per month for the privilege of having a work permit. One time that said they did not like me and refused my work permit renewal. You will also pay social security tax. Your quality of life will be a big step down from where you are currently living. Needless to say the political instability including a military law and government. I have been here for 4 different coups and they are always devastating for business. Conversely the cash flow for all business drops during this period of time. Everything in Phuket is expensive including electricity when it works. Electricity is about 12-13 US cents per KW. The laws for everything is what ever they decide it is today especially immigration and labor department. You have no significant protection under the law as you are an unwanted foreigner. This is based on my 31 years living and doing business in Thailand. You better stay home and raise a family. Thailand is no place for a western child's education and social life. You can always come here for a vacation. As an old country lawyer once told me everything is alright as long as everything is alright but when they go south the go south in a hurry in Thailand. This is not meant to discourage you but to try to tell you like it really is.

You have completely lost the point of the OP. The OP is not opening a business, his compnay will take care of Immigration and WP details.

The OP just wants to take up a work assignmnet for a shorter time, is keeping his home in the US, has no kids, has a dog that he can easy move here and back.

Let's not make it so complicated.

Edited by LivinginKata

Check out the tax blogs for Americans working abroad. You may qualify for an exclusion for first USD 100k. Lots of rules like no more than thirty days in USA per year. All benifits in kind are also taxed, as you may know from your previous stint.

You should also look at opting out of IL state tax if possible. State rules are a bit different than the fed.

Local accountant to handle Fed and state returns impossible in Phuket. I use a company in Singapore. American owner and they specialise in helping Yanks. Budget for USD 500 fee plus RT air and hotels for first year. Year two and afterwards, can mail it in.E

I heard that the paperwork that the Thai bank has to submit to the US government is so oppressive that they just turn down requests from US citizens to open a bank account.

Its just one simple form

Its just one simple form

Just a few monts ago I supplied the paperwork for a US guest to open a Thai bank account. No problem at all ...

Edited by LivinginKata

<snip>

NKM, I have to challenge you on this from my own recent experience with our guest security ..

For sure over the years our guests have experienced break-ins and thefts. I suspect most are 'inside' jobs, not only ladies of the night but also taxi drivers who know the guests routine.

BUT ... I can't even remember the last break-in in Nanai, Patong, more than 2 years, maybe 3 years. And never over in Kata.

NKM ... I write honestly from my own experience over many apartmenets in 3 locations. Yes I read the crime is on the increase, but I don't experience it ...

And my opinion has nothing to do with having a business in Phuket ... you well know I speak very straight and don't post here to push Phuket.

BUT given the OP selects a secure location, a gated community would be best, then this will not be a major issue ..

LIK, a few things stood out for me in your post.

You consider yourself not to have been a victim ("i don't experience it") yet, you personally know several victims, who were your own guests. Does it really matter who the victim is? The fact is, many crimes have taken place in your properties. Did you not have to pay for any damaged doors / windows? if you did, aren't you also a victim, because not only was theft involved, but property damage?

Likewise, does it really matter who the offenders are? A theft is a theft, and we shouldn't be making allowances for these criminals. That said, I accept that coming home drunk with a bar girl and leaving your wallet on the bedside table is inviting trouble.

The thread title is "What are the "hidden costs" of relocating to Phuket?" Note the location, "Phuket." Not Patong, not Kata, not Nanai, not Rawai - "Phuket." Crime is island wide, not concentrated in one area.

"Yes I read the crime is on the increase" - so do I.

I agree that your posts are "straight" and thus, I give them the respect they deserve.

I have never been a victim of crime here, except for maybe the odd drink added to the bill. I agree in all likelihood it will be unlikely the OP will be a victim of crime here, however, with increasing crime and a corrupt and incompetent police department, the odds are narrowing for us all.

As previously stated, I only expanded on another members post that was criticized as being a "Phuket bashing" post when in fact there was some substance to the members comments.

Simple question NKM ... have you experienced any burglary in your home or surroundings. Have your neighbours experinced any burglary.

Do you you speak with any personal experience ??

Can't speak for NKM obviously, but I was burgled (during the night) shortly after arriving here, and a friend of mine has been burgled more recently (also during the night),

Simple question NKM ... have you experienced any burglary in your home or surroundings. Have your neighbours experinced any burglary.

I answered your question in another post, before seeing this post.

To date, I have not been a victim of crime here, and I do not fear crime here. That said, I do not put myself in vulnerable positions.

I am not saying crime on Phuket is out of control. I am merely stating that crime, particularly violent crime and drug abuse / possession, has increased on Phuket in recent times.

In my opinion, at this stage, there is no need for tourists and expats to avoid Phuket, simply due to the amount of crime here.

I still consider Phuket a safe holiday destination, if common sense is used. That said, the biggest risk to one's personal safety here is on the roads.

I answered your question in another post, before seeing this post.

To date, I have not been a victim of crime here, and I do not fear crime here. That said, I do not put myself in vulnerable positions.

I am not saying crime on Phuket is out of control. I am merely stating that crime, particularly violent crime and drug abuse / possession, has increased on Phuket in recent times.

In my opinion, at this stage, there is no need for tourists and expats to avoid Phuket, simply due to the amount of crime here.

I still consider Phuket a safe holiday destination, if common sense is used. That said, the biggest risk to one's personal safety here is on the roads.

Very good straight answer. You don't fear crime here yet you spout bad stats about crime ..DELETED

With each newbie guest I coach them on just basic security. Like lock doors and close deadlock bolts when napping or sleeping. Just basic stuff. You just can't leave doors open when you are not alert.

This has worked quite well these last few years. Yes ... commonn sense is required ... anywhere in this world ..

Edited by seedy
flaming

Can't speak for NKM obviously, but I was burgled (during the night) shortly after arriving here, and a friend of mine has been burgled more recently (also during the night),

where do you live?

Thanks again everybody for the enthusiastic replies to this thread. I'm sure everyone here agrees with some posts and not others, but all together they've really helped me get a clue as to what I may be getting into.

Traffic, crime and the cost of living are 3 good reasons not to move to Phuket. The island is also overrun with people, slop shops girly beer bars and trash on the sides of the road and in public places. Better give it some more thoughts.

Poopycock!!

Another generalisation which relates mainly to Patong!

There are still some great, quiet beautiful places which are far superior to locations most countries.

You could do alot worse OP.

Agree, Phuket is fantastic place to live...

It sounds like you have a great opportunity to come to work in Phuket. Being able to work abroad in totally different culture is the perfect way to acquire new skills and broaden your horizon.

That said, your biggest problem will not be with yourself as you will be taken care off: you have a job lined up and will be able to meet new people and have things to do from your first day onward. Your wife on the other hand will probably have much more trouble with the move to Phuket. She loses her job and will, most likely, not be able to find a job locally or be able to volunteer in any capacity. That means she will be home all day long and needs to find things to do by herself. If you moved within the US that would not be much of a problem, but unfortunately it will be hard on her in Thailand. Most Thais are not able to have a decent conversation in English (with that I mean share feelings, opinions, etc) and she will most likely need to find other foreigners to have a friendship with. From experience I can tell this is quite difficult in Thailand as there is little opportunity to meet new people, unless you hang out in bars all day long, and most new people you meet are not the kind of people who would hang out with at home. So my biggest concern would not be if you can manage to live on Phuket, it would be how your wife will cope with the big chance in culture and the loneliness. As someone else already mentioned, Thailand is not a country with a lot of culture where you can easily meet people. There are movie theatres and restaurants, but you will not find many social or cultural events taking place.

You also mention you have a dog. Having a dog in Thailand, and phuket, is different from having one in the US. You probably enjoy walking your dog in your neighborhood on a daily basis. In Thailand this is more difficult: there is barely any green to walk or a safe area where your dog can run around without being on a leash. Walking a dog here means carrying a stick to keep soi dogs away and keeping an eye on the road for traffic and piles of food the locals have put out for the soi dogs.

Traffic, crime and the cost of living are 3 good reasons not to move to Phuket. The island is also overrun with people, slop shops girly beer bars and trash on the sides of the road and in public places. Better give it some more thoughts.

Ahahahaha you kidding

1. Be very sure about this "company" and your legality in Thailand - there are a lot of bad apples here.

2. Be aware more than routine medical care will likely require travel to Bangkok or Singapore - will you have adequate insurance?

3. Will the wage really replace the wife's income - and more importantly her self esteem?

4. Income tax will involve much more paperwork - who will be doing that?

5. Stay in Thailand requires annual extensions based on work permit/income as well as 90 day reporting of address so may not be a comfortable feeling.

6. Western food in general will be more expensive - but good Asian food quite inexpensive. But safeguards are not high.

7. You will not have heating expense - but air conditioning will be required and electric is moderately expensive.

8. If fan of TV there will be changes required.

9. Cars are expensive in Phuket but may be required as taxi service not up to city standards.

10. Housing/rents are reasonable if not in most expensive buildings/areas. Who is paying?

11. Domestic help is available - but likely 3rd country national and may not be worth the efforts.

12. There are probably more foreign marriage relationships ended in Thailand than any other country.

Point no. 2 is somewhat inaccurate, there are international standard medical facilities more

than capable of routine and highly specialist medical care on Phuket, there is no valid reason

,other than preference, that would require travel outside Phuket for " routine medical care ".

I suspect lopburi3 does not actually live in Phuket??

Strictly from a cost standpoint and this from someone who has lived for four years in Phuket and seven years in Chiang Mai:

Rent and accommodation costs in Phuket are higher for anything nice, there's a much wider choice and availability of decent lower cost accommodation in the North.

Restaurant costs also seem higher in Phuket, perhaps it's more to do with the availability and sheer numbers of decent places to eat in CM. Granted that food costs at places such as Fuji, Black Canyon etc are about the same.

Much greater availability of high quality and inexpensive local markets in the North.

Petrol, supermarket, movie theatre tickets and home utility costs are about the same.

Public transportation costs are far cheaper and much easier in the North, red cars and the like.