Nippon Liquid Gel Ant Killer

LannaGuy

Use borax, does not get simpler and all ants love it :)

1/2 cup suger

1 1/2 tablespoon borax

1 1/2 cup warm water

Mix and put it on some tissue paper, I usually use the caps of milk bottles, stuffed with the paper. Then place at a strategic location. Worker ants will carry it into their nest and poof....mass extinction. Don't use too much borax or they will die on the way home.

Use borax, does not get simpler and all ants love it smile.png

1/2 cup suger

1 1/2 tablespoon borax

1 1/2 cup warm water

Mix and put it on some tissue paper, I usually use the caps of milk bottles, stuffed with the paper. Then place at a strategic location. Worker ants will carry it into their nest and poof....mass extinction. Don't use too much borax or they will die on the way home.

hmm ok i may try that but that Nippon stuff is really good if you can find it

Borax you can get at Mahidol Rd, left side when you come from the airport, before the Ping bridge. It's a chemical supply shop, blue color outside. 1kg for 90B IIRC. Lasts for a lifetime. And it's really good too. Even that nasty slow moving black ants eat it, the other ones really love it. Cockroaches should also be vulnerable, but haven't seen one for a while.

worldchemical.co.th (throw into Google Maps search)

About 40 years ago some enterprising fellow started selling "Magic Cockroach Killer" powder in the tenement slum areas in NYC. These places were roach paradises, and there seemed no way to get rid of the things. Then this powder came along and cleaned out the bugs. People were lining up for the stuff even though it was selling for $29.95 for a small box. It worked so well and seemed to last forever so no one minded the high price... Then some college student majoring in Chemistry tested the powder...

Turned out to be ordinary Boric Acid powder (Borax) available in any drug store. All the chemical supply stores sell it in Chiang Mai. Kills off any insects that have an exoskeleton; ant's, roaches, beetles, etc., and doesn't bother most pets. Drug stores in Japan sell bags of it along with little 'recipe sheets' for making 'cookies' out of the stuff... Mixing grated potato, flour, sugar, and baking it into little balls to toss behind the sink cabinet, kitchen shelves, etc., etc.

Best stuff you can get. Unless I'm mistaken, those 'chalk' sticks that are sold in the supermarkets have boric acid as a component.

The black ones (carpenter ants) will eat the borax solution. They are a bit hesitating first but then they come. Got some palms free of them, they like standing water where the leaves connect to the stem. Situation improved, but they always come back from the neighbors.

while the borax works good around the kitchen in the tree where the ants can be too much also or anywhere really if you spray them with water and dish soap they die instantly .

You just kill the workers. They will breed again and are back in no time. Borax they will carry into the nest and to the queen. Thus the colony will die.

Boric acid (Borax) is the killer that keeps on killing. In most insect species, the dead are eaten by the living. Boric acid isn't 'changed' by eating it so it kills the bug that eats the dead bug... and so on... and so on... As MadMac states, it doesn't kill on contact and so is carried back to the nest to kill the lazy bugs who didn't go out scavenging for food. The entire colony will be killed off, and frequently, when an 'exploring' group finds this uninhabited nest and moves in, it dies off quickly too.

When dealing with ants in the trees, make little biscuits with the boric acid the way the Japanese do... Grated potato, grated onion, sugar, flour, and a bit of water to make a 'dough,' then form small flat discs and bake in a slow oven until dry and hard. Place these on the flatter sections of tree limbs in the path of the ants... As long as they don't sit in puddles, rain won't destroy them, and they can last a few years.

Edited by FolkGuitar

I bought 6 chalk sticks for 20 THB about a year ago, and have four and a half left. You gotta be careful with pesticides around pets and people. I was walking by a guesthouse inside the moat last week, and the exterminators were there. You could smell the fumes 50 feet away. I think the term "overkill" must have originated in Thailand....maybe at the Downtown Inn.