SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a defeatist attitude. Especially when the facts show otherwise.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1461155072.771625.jpg

Best post IMO. thumbsup.gif

As I say, how silly.

How old are you? 13?

Reckon older than you..

Hard to believe when you make silly comments like that

Ever read up the causes of WW1? WW2? No, I thought not.

The situation now is that we have rapid growth of Nationalism across Europe. Dangerous times. We should hold tight and avoid any hitlers rising in our midst.

My father was Station X and very pro Europe since you ask. He's dead now

I'm 62 and hope for peace for my children and grand children.

I trust wise heads will prevail

Yep the few on here just can't except over 200 ( OUT ) against 52 ( IN'S ). clap2.gif

You think TV is a representative sample Of UK? I hope to god it isn't or we are truly doomed and not just on this issue.

Well unfortunately it's not a representative sample, I 'm all for Britexit, however I 'm afraid that there will be many others in the UK who will believe the unfounded scare stories that are,and will continue to appear, along with these will be a sizable number of young people with no experience of life except having been conditioned in the schools to believe in the failed state of EU. ( p.s one abnormally being 16yr olds in Scotland who I Think can vote on this issue)

Add to these,the large numbers of citizens who are not interested or simple cannot be bothered to find out all the facts, believing their time is better spent watching Coronation Street.

What a defeatist attitude. Especially when the facts show otherwise.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1461155072.771625.jpg

Best post IMO. thumbsup.gif

As I say, how silly.

How old are you? 13?

Reckon older than you..

Hard to believe when you make silly comments like that

Ever read up the causes of WW1? WW2? No, I thought not.

The situation now is that we have rapid growth of Nationalism across Europe. Dangerous times. We should hold tight and avoid any hitlers rising in our midst.

My father was Station X and very pro Europe since you ask. He's dead now

I'm 62 and hope for peace for my children and grand children.

I trust wise heads will prevail

Yep with the emergence of red neck militarily aggressively nationallistic leaders like putin a divided and ultimately a weaker Europe would suit him

. And Im awaiting his trolls to dispute it and even a silence will be equally telling

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My 'silly' comment followed your silly comment.........rolleyes.gif

UK became great because they were alone and did their stuff where Europe floundered.....Causes of WW2, ask the Germans, not me.......coffee1.gif

As I say, you know nothing. Ridiculous that buffoons are allowed to vote! Undemocratic? Yes. But if you're going to vote, show some responsibility.

Yep the few on here just can't except over 200 ( OUT ) against 52 ( IN'S ). clap2.gif

You think TV is a representative sample Of UK? I hope to god it isn't or we are truly doomed and not just on this issue.

Well unfortunately it's not a representative sample, I 'm all for Britexit, however I 'm afraid that there will be many others in the UK who will believe the unfounded scare stories that are,and will continue to appear, along with these will be a sizable number of young people with no experience of life except having been conditioned in the schools to believe in the failed state of EU. ( p.s one abnormally being 16yr olds in Scotland who I Think can vote on this issue)

Add to these,the large numbers of citizens who are not interested or simple cannot be bothered to find out all the facts, believing their time is better spent watching Coronation Street.

Take some comfort from the fact that higher education correlates with remain. It is the disappointed blue collar underclass who don't get it. As I say, you need to read the history if you want to understand.

Take some comfort from the fact that higher education correlates with remain. It is the disappointed blue collar underclass who don't get it. As I say, you need to read the history if you want to understand.

I have a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry from Oxford University.

I am all in favour of Gt. Britain leaving the EU.

Does that make me one of the "disappointed blue collar underclass"?

Stop pretending to be such an intellectual snob!

My 'silly' comment followed your silly comment.........rolleyes.gif

UK became great because they were alone and did their stuff where Europe floundered.....Causes of WW2, ask the Germans, not me.......coffee1.gif

As I say, you know nothing. Ridiculous that buffoons are allowed to vote! Undemocratic? Yes. But if you're going to vote, show some responsibility.

Your German then, I ain't.........tongue.png

Deary me!

You illustrate my point beautifully

Yes I speak German

Yes I have lived in Germany

Yes I respect many things about Germany including their education system and the mittel standt

But I am not German

I do understand how the last war started and you don't

You could start with Versailles

Are you a product of the U.K. Education system?

Sorry to pick on you but you asked for it.

?

Edited by Grouse

Your shocking arrogance in continually stating that only stupid, uneducated people would vote to leave, is only going to antagonise those who haven't come to a decision and confirm the views of those who support Brexit.

Snobby remark

Strange that. As last week another American columnist ( Bangkok post)who believes we should give up our independence and remain in the EU,declared it is the uneducated Labour voting Brits who wish to remain in the EU,while the educated Conservative voters are more liable to vote for Britex.

As regards yourself Grouse,I shudder to think what education you did receive. For my part,I am what you would describe as uneducated. Yet when in business in the UK I would have University educated reps come to my place of business, and the first thing they generally spoke, was to call me SIR. To this I would Always instruct them to refer to me by my first name.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not knocking education, as I realise it's very important,that is why I am now putting my children through an expensive international school.But don't kid yourself that education is everything,you yourself are proof of that fact.

Edited by nontabury

Your shocking arrogance in continually stating that only stupid, uneducated people would vote to leave, is only going to antagonise those who haven't come to a decision and confirm the views of those who support Brexit.

The truely shocking thing is the lamentable level of education and the obvious ignorance of so many contributors. I'm an engineer not a historian. However, I at least understand the fundamental history and make informed choices. The way things are going we will be dragged in the wrong direction by a herd of ignoremuses. Do you not think it odd that the VAST majority of educated people are pro Europe even if they would wish to see improvements?

How do suggest I respond to intelligent comments by Transam for example?

Frankly, it's a terrible indictment of modern British education methods and the dumbing down of society generally.

It gives me no pleasure to point out the stupidity of some. I feel rather embarrassed for them actually.... Edited by Scott

Snobby remark

Sorry if the truth hurts....

Strange that. As last week another American columnist ( Bangkok post)who believes we should give up our independence and remain in the EU,declared it is the uneducated Labour voting Brits who wish to remain in the EU,while the educated Conservative voters are more liable to vote for Britex.

As regards yourself Grouse,I shudder to think what education you did receive. For my part,I am what you would describe as uneducated. Yet when in business in the UK I would have University educated reps come to my place of business, and the first thing they generally spoke, was to call me SIR. To this I would Always instruct them to refer to me by my first name.

Please do not misunderstand me, I am not knocking education, as I realise it's very important,that is why I am now putting my children through an expensive international school.But don't kid yourself that education is everything,you yourself are proof of that fact.

Hilarious!

So the school of hard knocks worked well for you! Great!

I went through the school of hard work!

Since you ask, grammar school followed by Durham University where I learned semi-conductor physics.

Then life long education from reading widely and generally keeping informed.

Be careful with "international schools". Some are not all they're cracked up to be.

Your American journalist is incorrect. Yes, membership of the EU has guaranteed much better rights for British workers (even allowing for the cynical opt outs we negotiated). However, tertiary education is strongly correlated with Remain. I won't revisit the Cambridge v Peterborough comparison again....

I have a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry from Oxford University.

I am all in favour of Gt. Britain leaving the EU.

Does that make me one of the "disappointed blue collar underclass"?

Stop pretending to be such an intellectual snob!

I honestly believe that you are a statistical outlier!

Anything in particular turned you off Europe generally?

I would be genuinely interested to get your opinion

There is a preponderance among the brexiteers to label anything warning of the dangers of leaving as "scaremongering". This is symptomatic of those who don't actually have an argument themselves. The vague notions of being ruled by Germany", "freedom etc may be emotive but are in reality based on inaccurate perceptions and impossible to back up.

British popular opinion has been constantly led to believe that the EU is a foreign entity, with which Britain has a sort of treaty, and not as what it actually is, a Union of which the UK is a participating member with a vote on every decision. The role of British MEPS, British Ministers, and a British Commissioner in EU decisions is ignored. All decisions are presented as emanating from an "unelected" bureaucracy, and the role of "elected" British MEPs and "elected" British Ministers in the whole process is passed over as if it never happened. - Telegraph UK

Edited by cumgranosalum

Absolutely disgusting that Farage isn't allowed to speak at the most important TV debate two days before the vote. Yet more proof that this referendum is being rigged.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/668983/Farage-fury-BBC-bosses-freeze-him-out-televised-Brexit-debate

you missed out "allegedly" - the story comes from Farage.

I am flattered.

Ok, here are a few points to consider.

While a union of European Nations is considered to be a good idea to prevent the conflicts of WW1 & WW2, the concept of a "United States of Europe" as proposed by Robert Schuman, fails to take into account the vastly different economies and cultures of the countries comprising the Continent of Europe.

A pact to pool steel and coal production between 2 countries cannot be extrapolated to 20 odd independent Nations without a centralised governing bureaucracy, and of course, a common currency.

The founding fathers of the EU obviously were aware of this, and so the present structure of an unelected Commission came about.

Through various treaties, Rome, 1958, Maastricht, 1993, Lisbon, 2009, the Commission has consolidated its power and reduced the Parliaments of participating countries to powerless shells.

All this without the consent of the population because in those countries that had referenda, the governments lied about the effects the treaties would have.

To concentrate on the UK, Britain pays a lot of money into the EU and has no say in how it is spent. New aerodromes in Spain, still unused, an excellent road network there and in Portugal, massive subsidies to French farmers.

Compare that to the UK where no new roads have been built for 20 years, the existing ones are not maintained, and The countries busiest airport is the most under-developed of any 1st world nation.

It has allowed unlimited immigration of mostly unskilled workers, with no criminal records check.

There is over-crowding in schools, hospitals are underfunded and overworked, and there is a huge shortage of affordable housing.

The very generous UK benefits system has encouraged this immigration, not all from the EU obviously, and all "free movement" has achieved is the flow of economic migrants from the poorer countries into UK and Germany.

Under the present system the British people have no say as to where and how their money is spent, who can enter the country, and what laws are imposed upon them by the EU bureaucracy.

You remember the Directives regarding incandescent light bulbs, vacuum cleaners; well the latest plan is to restrict the availability of kettles and toasters!

This is just an example of the interfering nature of the EU Commission.

I presume you are aware of the latest pearl of wisdom from Jean-Claude Juncker, wherein he calls for Prime Ministers not to listen to their voters? Then the EU has the temerity to lecture other countries on democracy!

Then of course, we come to the problem of the ECHR, although not an intrinsic part of the EU, which consistently undermines the authority of the British Government, and prevents the removal of criminals and terrorists.

As to the economic arguments for leaving, obviously one cannot predict the future, but the UK has successfully traded throughout the world for hundreds of years, and there is no reason why this cannot continue.

The other countries of the EU still need what Britain produces.

To précis, the EU is very expensive for the UK, dictates policies and makes laws without the consent of the people, and is a failed experiment in "big government", and the worst fear of the EU Commission is that a British exit would trigger a similar exodus from other countries whose people are waking up to the fact that being in the EU is not worth the trouble and expense.

Again a misplaced view of sovereignty is the premise for most brexiteers.....They are completely wrong though.

"but the UK has successfully traded throughout the world for hundreds of years, and there is no reason why this cannot continue." - this is another totally incorrect assumption - when UK has prospered it has always been part of a union of one kind or another - either trading with Europe or in the last 2 centuries supplied by an Empire which it dominated. As the empire shrank it became very obvious that Uk needed to have another group to trade with, this time not so exploitative but as equals in a more democratic arrangement.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Absolutely disgusting that Farage isn't allowed to speak at the most important TV debate two days before the vote. Yet more proof that this referendum is being rigged.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/668983/Farage-fury-BBC-bosses-freeze-him-out-televised-Brexit-debate

you missed out "allegedly" - the story comes from Farage.

Well spotted. Who do you expect the story to come from? Camoron?

Good article. Some facts the leave brigade would rather keep to themselves.

"Thanks to the decisions of previous Labour and Conservative governments to remain outside the euro, the UK also retains sovereignty over its monetary policy. And, having decided not to join the Schengen zone, it exercises sovereign supervision of its borders, including the right to deny entry to non-EU citizens arriving from the EU’s Schengen area and to EU citizens if they pose a threat to ‘public policy, public health or public security’. While some argue that this threshold to block EU migrants is too high, the home secretary, Theresa May, argues that EU membership supports the UK’s efforts to fight crime and terrorism. The UK also retains opt-outs from aspects of the EU’s common asylum policy, within the international legal constraints that it has accepted as a signatory to the Geneva Conventions and the European Convention on Human Rights, both of which predate the EU.

In addition, the UK retains sovereignty over domestic policing and the bulk of its criminal justice system. The few exceptions where the UK has ‘opted into’ EU legal agreements – such as the European Arrest Warrant and the Schengen Information System – correspond to areas in which the government and police chiefs strongly believe this is to Britain’s advantage.

Nor has EU membership impinged on British sovereignty over its foreign and security policy. EU decisions in these fundamental areas operate on the basis of unanimity. The UK has been free to participate in military operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, despite deep divisions between EU members over their wisdom. It continues to serve as a permanent member of the UN Security Council and to play a leading role in NATO."

The Brexiteers claim that things will change, of course they know that for a fact and cannot be accused of scaremongering.

"Thanks to the decisions of previous Labour and Conservative governments to remain outside the euro, the UK also retains sovereignty over its monetary policy. And, having decided not to join the Schengen zone, it exercises sovereign supervision of its borders, including the right to deny entry to non-EU citizens arriving from the EU’s Schengen area and to EU citizens if they pose a threat to ‘public policy, public health or public security’. While some argue that this threshold to block EU migrants is too high, the home secretary, Theresa May, argues that EU membership supports the UK’s efforts to fight crime and terrorism. The UK also retains opt-outs from aspects of the EU’s common asylum policy, within the international legal constraints that it has accepted as a signatory to the Geneva Conventions and the European Convention on Human Rights, both of which predate the EU.

In addition, the UK retains sovereignty over domestic policing and the bulk of its criminal justice system. The few exceptions where the UK has ‘opted into’ EU legal agreements – such as the European Arrest Warrant and the Schengen Information System – correspond to areas in which the government and police chiefs strongly believe this is to Britain’s advantage.

Nor has EU membership impinged on British sovereignty over its foreign and security policy. EU decisions in these fundamental areas operate on the basis of unanimity. The UK has been free to participate in military operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, despite deep divisions between EU members over their wisdom. It continues to serve as a permanent member of the UN Security Council and to play a leading role in NATO."

The Brexiteers claim that things will change, of course they know that for a fact and cannot be accused of scaremongering.

I understand now!

post-78707-1462934008118_thumb.jpg

As I've said on many previous occasions. If the EU in it's present state does not worry you, then try and find out what the Eurocrats have in store for the EU in the coming years. That's of course if the EU still exist.

In the meantime those waving white flags will continue to spout their nonsense. Thank god they were' around in 1914 + 1939.

Edited by nontabury

Sandy.

You are aware that all the opt outs that the UK and other Countries currently have, end in 2020 ?

NATO and the UN Security Council are nothing to do with the EU.

Yes, things are going to change, of course they are. 2020 is the next big date for further Political and Monetary Union of the EU. The changes are actually being sped up towards a Federal State of Europe. I provided a link earlier and it is all available on the EU website.

I am sure that you are also aware that the Board of Chatham House is comprised mainly of serving or now retired MP's.

I 'm all for Britexit, however I 'm afraid that there will be many others in the UK who will believe the unfounded scare stories that are,and will continue to appear,

We all aware that to some the remain camp is based on unfounded scare stories and the Donald Johnsons of this world stick to facts.

The truely shocking thing is the lamentable level of education and the obvious ignorance of so many contributors. I'm an engineer not a historian. However, I at least understand the fundamental history and make informed choices. The way things are going we will be dragged in the wrong direction by a herd of ignoremuses. Do you not think it odd that the VAST majority of educated people are pro Europe even if they would wish to see improvements?

How do suggest I respond to intelligent comments by Transam for example?

Frankly, it's a terrible indictment of modern British education methods and the dumbing down of society generally.

It gives me no pleasure to point out the stupidity of some. I feel rather embarrassed for them actually....

While I Don't know Transam personally, I have read many of his post over the last few years,and while not agreeing with him all the time, have found him to be a very reasonably and open minded person,who puts forward a straightforward and honest opinion without any sign of arrogance. Unlike some one I could mention.