SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

Strange thing is, if you look at any conversations on forums or social media then nearly everyone is on the Brexit side and there is usually only 2 or 3 Remainers that come and argue their fear induced case. I cannot believe that 86% of people in the UK would choose to stay in the EU as just about everyone I speak to wants to leave.
I guess that says something about social media?

Bookies are not often wrong!

Note sterling against baht is back to Nov last year......why is that?

Oh, I remember; all the experts are scaremongers! Ha!

The entire remain campaign is based purely on fear mongering. Some of it may be true, some of it is just speculation, most of it is extremely exaggerated, but all of it is being used in a way to scare people into voting for what the lying politicians need to happen for their own selfish benefits. None of it is a fair and balanced view because the PM has made it clear he wants to remain in the EU so daily we have another scare piece of propaganda about how leaving the EU will help ISIS, or start WW3 or in some way destroy the planet because they are lying to us for their own agenda. If it was so fantastic for us to be part of the EU then why are all the positive aspects of it not being shouted about every day instead of insisting that leaving will cause WW3??

For this very reason alone I already decided from the beginning to vote against project fear. All of the other factors about the billions we give to the EU, the unelected commissions, the migration problem, the impending 5 countries that will join, the fact that most would-be successful countries are all being bailed out by the EU because their economies don't fit into the grand scheme of things (bailed out by us yet again btw). All of these things, and many many more, are all now reasons I will vote to leave but my mind was already made up after seeing the remain campaign follow the exact same lies and fear propaganda that it used to screw Scotland out of their independence.

I also notice that the only people who vote to remain are people who will personally benefit in the short term. Everyone I know who wants to leave will have to make some concession to do so but they are prepared to do so for the long term benefit of the country.

And I don't doubt that we will remain in the EU after all of this, it is hardly a fair democracy when all of the info about leaving the EU is coming from people who desperately want to remain in, so the bookies are probably right. It doesn't however mean that it is the right decision for the UK to remain in the EU. It just means that all of the fear mongering and lies by our politicians who are personally better off in the EU has fooled and scammed the nation out of our one chance to leave the failure of the EU.

So sad. cheesy.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"some point along in my life I have had conversations in French, Finnish, Russian, Mandarin, Thai, and probably a couple more I've forgotten about." - I expect now it is getting a bit more difficult to find people to talk to?

Is this a "some of my best friends are foreigners" - joke?

"I have had conversations" - I wonder what that means.

basically sa degree is no protection against stupidity, but reasoning, critical thinking etc do appear to correlate with "bremainers - QED?

Every post from you is you calling someone who you don't agree with stupid. And yet you still cannot figure out how to use the quote function on this forum. Kinda ironic really.

I don't know what you didn't understand about my post. At various points in my life I have lived in a certain country long enough to speak enough of the local language to hold a conversation with a local who couldn't speak English. In Finland it was my girlfriend's father who had only learned German and Latin at school so I studied Finnish so I could converse with him, which I eventually did. Similar stories for the rest of the languages I learned along the way.

Is that clear enough for you or should I find some YouTube video with pictures to help you out more?

Oh I know, you don't get it so I'm stupid, right?

Edited by KunMatt

If the UK does decide to remain within the EU someone will bring up the issue of the Euro.

I hope voters realize this.

So in the end it will be you are voting for either all in or all out.

"The President of the European Commission has invited Boris Johnson to Brussels after questioning whether his depiction of theEU is “in line with reality”."

"Mr Juncker had been asked about the Conservative MP’s comparison of efforts to unify Europe with the actions of Napoleon and Hitler at the G7 summit in Japan."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-boris-johnson-invited-to-brussels-to-check-his-claims-are-in-line-with-reality-by-jean-a7049366.html

A number of Thai banks now showing 52 baht to the Pound, the markets are telling us they think we're going to Remain.

You are assuming that this due to the vote. Do you know for a fact?

I know that eventual death is a fact, beyond that everything else is based on probability and is suspect.

BUT, the Pound has gained to 52, why, do you think the rise is due to some other reason, if so, what?

The reason is "market forces", CM, as much as the "in" campaigners would dearly like to believe, and convince us, otherwise.

The pound has dropped against the dollar today (always a more important indicator than the vagaries of its strength or weakness versus a weak currency

like the THB, by the way).

My question is, "because the pound has fallen against the dollar today, by your logic you are suggesting that the "markets" now believe that the "out" vote

has somehow gone into the ascendancy during the last 12 hours"? I did post a similar question in a post the other day, but no one picked up the challenge

and answered me.

Clearly, that reason for the drop is not the case. At its most basic, it is a supply and demand issue; nothing else. Or, as I said above, market forces.

KunMatt - you object to a Poster describing Brexiteers as being stupid

Take a look again at your Post 1337

I quote your words 'Typical selfish, self serving liars who will do anything just as long as they are ok in the short term'

Not very nice either is it? You are being hypocritical.

KunMatt - you object to a Poster describing Brexiteers as being stupid

Take a look again at your Post 1337

I quote your words 'Typical selfish, self serving liars who will do anything just as long as they are ok in the short term'

Not very nice either is it? You are being hypocritical.

My every post is not saying that someone is stupid and nothing else.

What you quoted is how I described the actions and reasoning of people who want to vote remain. And I stand by that.

Anyway, if we did leave, Wales , Northern Ireland and Scotland would be taken out of the EU against their will....so I imagine that would turn out to be unconstitutional and the referendum - which isn't binding BTW would be discarded.

According to reports I've seen, the two most pro-remain areas are London and Scotland. Scotland due to the SNP, yet even there I think the Nationalist may be surprised at the outcome. Wales I would clump in with the rest of England. N.I. Again other issues are at play.

What would happen if England and Wales voted 52% to leave and say Scotland and N.I. Voted 100% to remain. This could result in a victory for the remain camp,and consequently England and Wales would have to remain part of this corrupt so-called Union in spite of their people democratically voting Brexit.

You see it can work both ways.

The top remain areas are Scotland N. ireland and Wales, then London....check it out - not hard.

"some point along in my life I have had conversations in French, Finnish, Russian, Mandarin, Thai, and probably a couple more I've forgotten about." - I expect now it is getting a bit more difficult to find people to talk to?

Is this a "some of my best friends are foreigners" - joke?

"I have had conversations" - I wonder what that means.

basically sa degree is no protection against stupidity, but reasoning, critical thinking etc do appear to correlate with "bremainers - QED?

Every post from you is you calling someone who you don't agree with stupid. And yet you still cannot figure out how to use the quote function on this forum. Kinda ironic really.

I don't know what you didn't understand about my post. At various points in my life I have lived in a certain country long enough to speak enough of the local language to hold a conversation with a local who couldn't speak English. In Finland it was my girlfriend's father who had only learned German and Latin at school so I studied Finnish so I could converse with him, which I eventually did. Similar stories for the rest of the languages I learned along the way.

Is that clear enough for you or should I find some YouTube video with pictures to help you out more?

Oh I know, you don't get it so I'm stupid, right?

QED - hope your "conversational" "Finnish is better than your English.

A number of Thai banks now showing 52 baht to the Pound, the markets are telling us they think we're going to Remain.

I know that eventual death is a fact, beyond that everything else is based on probability and is suspect.

BUT, the Pound has gained to 52, why, do you think the rise is due to some other reason, if so, what?

The reason is "market forces", CM, as much as the "in" campaigners would dearly like to believe, and convince us, otherwise.

The pound has dropped against the dollar today (always a more important indicator than the vagaries of its strength or weakness versus a weak currency

My question is, "because the pound has fallen against the dollar today, by your logic you are suggesting that the "markets" now believe that the "out" vote

has somehow gone into the ascendancy during the last 12 hours"? I did post a similar question in a post the other day, but no one picked up the challenge

and answered me.

Clearly, that reason for the drop is not the case. At its most basic, it is a supply and demand issue; nothing else. Or, as I said above, market forces.

The term, "market forces" implies some sinister mythical wave that sweeps over the forex market from time to time, the reason for its existence being largely unknown! If by market forces you mean the following, we can agree:

The value of a particular currency rises and falls for one reason only, the more heavily a currency is bought the greater its value becomes, the more it sold the weaker it becomes - and yes, we can in the main, substitute USD for THB.(which is a strong but small currency in forex terms). Although since BOT operates a managed float we cannot ignore THB entirely since BOT buys and sells THB & USD in an attempt to keep the value of THB in line with Asean currencies and to smooth the value of THB against USD as an aide to exporters.

So as comfort sets in that UK plc will remain in the EU and will not be subject to economic turmoil, companies (and others) will become more confident in GBP and will buy it more heavily for whatever purchases they had been holding off from making, the result being that GBP has strengthened. Now whether that strengthening was the direct result of buying GBP against THB is unclear, if indeed GBP did fall against USD it would seem that might be the case, in which case the finger points at BOT. But since I no longer have access to live currency feeds plus I am not inclined to spend too much time on the analysis, I cannot be absolutely certain of the reason why albeit I am pretty confident it is as stated.

EDIT TO ADD: In reading the newspapers this morning it seems the release of consumer credit figures probably played a role in the above, consumers becoming more confident in Remain hence spending more which spurs institutions to buy GBP on the back of that confidence: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/26/shoppers-brush-off-brexit-fears-with-record-credit-card-splurge/

Edited by chiang mai

QED - hope your "conversational" "Finnish is better than your English.

Obviously it isn't seeing as English is my first language and Finnish is a very difficult language to learn. Thought that would have gone without saying let alone have someone stupid enough to ask about it. How can you think anyone else is stupid when you consistently post dumb things like this?

Dumb move by Salmond saying the jocks will go for another independence vote if Leave prevails. What'll happen now is, more jocks will likely vote Leave since they'll have a proper crack at going on their own. Love it! 2016/2018 could potentially be great years for The England. [emoji6]

Edited by daveAustin

Dumb move by Salmond saying the jocks will go for another independence vote if Leave prevails. What'll happen now is, more jocks will likely vote Leave since they'll have a proper crack at going on their own. Love it! 2016/2018 could potentially be great years for The England. [emoji6]

One certainty you can be sure of. Which ever way the vote goes, the SNP will still call for another referendum on separation. Even though Salmons did say the issue would be dead for a generation.You see they don't believe post-78707-14643118363147_thumb.jpg

in the Union.

"The President of the European Commission has invited Boris Johnson to Brussels after questioning whether his depiction of theEU is in line with reality."

"Mr Juncker had been asked about the Conservative MPs comparison of efforts to unify Europe with the actions of Napoleon and Hitler at the G7 summit in Japan."

Sounds like he has been invited for some "attitude adjustment".

EU dictatorship, by any other name

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-boris-johnson-invited-to-brussels-to-check-his-claims-are-in-line-with-reality-by-jean-a7049366.html

and answered me.

Sterling measure

Another market that's very sensitive to news about the referendum is the currency market.

After the publication of the Ipsos Mori poll last week, with its large lead for remain, the value of the pound jumped by almost two cents against both the US dollar and the euro.

That's because many currency traders expect that the uncertainty caused by a vote for Brexit would lead to a sharp drop in the value of sterling - at least in the short term.

We're always told not to pay too much attention to individual polls but clearly some traders think there's been a decisive shift.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36271589

All you truckers out their..wave good-bye to continental work as Britain's trade with Europe slides away. bye-bye Eddie Stobbart

All you car workers - the only reason that Japanese manufacturers have plants in UK is so they have a foothold in the EU to avoid the restrictions on imports of vehicles from outside the EU. just like Thailand where thanks to the current admin investment is down by 81%, so the Uk will suffer the same as manu multi-nationals lose interest in investing in a country that doesn't have the benefits of being inside the EU.

...and while you're at it say good-bye to London as one of the top financial centres in the world - that accolade will finally go to Germany

Edited by cumgranosalum

A declaration at the G7 meeting in Japan says a vote by the UK to leave the European Union would pose a "serious threat to global growth".

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36394905

a

More propaganda from the British Biased Corporation

So they are now going to blame Britain if world Economic growth happens to slow!

Why be shackled to a stagnant economy?

The latest trade figures with the EU show a record trade deficit of £89 billion, UK is the EU's biggest customer. They need us more than we need them.

Ignore these Sooth Sayers with their hidden agendas and self interests

I am old enough to remember the UK as it was, a green and pleasant land....When I look at it now I see a crap environment, an influx of foreign spongers reaping stuff that ordinary UK folk fought for. My own dad shook his head before he passed at the mess our governments have created for UK folk..

They last few lines of this song tells it for me..

I am old enough to remember the UK as it was, a green and pleasant land....When I look at it now I see a crap environment, an influx of foreign spongers reaping stuff that ordinary UK folk fought for. My own dad shook his head before he passed at the mess our governments have created for UK folk..

They last few lines of this song tells it for me..

Your Post has quite riled me ! How long is it since you have lived in the UK? I have lived and worked in a multi cultural London until very recently and it is quite clear to me that any crap environment is caused by lazy British thugs who simply are not prepared to do so many jobs, even if well paid, that immigrants will do. Just look at all the P'Pinno domestic workers that are actually well paid with all living accommodation included. The Brits would rather scrounge of the welfare state instead

Add to that, i have never felt threatened by any immigrant in London but i certainly have felt as risk from young male British thugs. Either give some justification for your comments or i will just consider you as a racist !

Does anybody really believe that foreigners are taking jobs from this lot?? Lol

A declaration at the G7 meeting in Japan says a vote by the UK to leave the European Union would pose a "serious threat to global growth".

a

So they are now going to blame Britain if world Economic growth happens to slow!

The latest trade figures with the EU show a record trade deficit of £89 billion, UK is the EU's biggest customer. They need us more than we need them.

You need to learn a couple of things

"More propaganda from the British Biased Corporation" - don't shoot the messenger - try the message and before you do that.....listen to Mark Twain.."Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

All you truckers out their..wave good-bye to continental work as Britain's trade with Europe slides away. bye-bye Eddie Stobbart

All you car workers - the only reason that Japanese manufacturers have plants in UK is so they have a foothold in the EU to avoid the restrictions on imports of vehicles from outside the EU. just like Thailand where thanks to the current admin investment is down by 81%, so the Uk will suffer the same as manu multi-nationals lose interest in investing in a country that doesn't have the benefits of being inside the EU.

...and while you're at it say good-bye to London as one of the top financial centres in the world - that accolade will finally go to Germany

You have not been watching Liveleak videos of the truckers in northern France I take it. Risking their lives every time they must pass near Calais. There is a large mob of violent youths in Calais that are totally above any law of the land. Smashing windscreens of trucks, throwing bottles, stones and incendiary devices. French police are absolutely terrified of this mob. Sorry what were you saying about truckers? They will be sad not to be able to visit northern France?

I have not seen a single honest +ve reason to remain in Europe. Not one.

a

You need to learn a couple of things

"More propaganda from the British Biased Corporation" - don't shoot the messenger - try the message and before you do that.....listen to Mark Twain.."Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

What facts!

That's the whole point, they don't give any facts. Only state fear mongering with nothing to back it up.

Talking about Mark Twain

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

So throw off the bowlines sail away from safe harbour, catch the Tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Vote Brexit

Latest figures show net migration rising, mainly due to a decrease in the numbers leaving the UK.

The question is, would net migration reduce if the government abandoned the frozen pension policy?

Now that's a thought!

and answered me.

The term, "market forces" implies some sinister mythical wave that sweeps over the forex market from time to time, the reason for its existence being largely unknown! If by market forces you mean the following, we can agree:

The value of a particular currency rises and falls for one reason only, the more heavily a currency is bought the greater its value becomes, the more it sold the weaker it becomes - and yes, we can in the main, substitute USD for THB.(which is a strong but small currency in forex terms). Although since BOT operates a managed float we cannot ignore THB entirely since BOT buys and sells THB & USD in an attempt to keep the value of THB in line with Asean currencies and to smooth the value of THB against USD as an aide to exporters.

So as comfort sets in that UK plc will remain in the EU and will not be subject to economic turmoil, companies (and others) will become more confident in GBP and will buy it more heavily for whatever purchases they had been holding off from making, the result being that GBP has strengthened. Now whether that strengthening was the direct result of buying GBP against THB is unclear, if indeed GBP did fall against USD it would seem that might be the case, in which case the finger points at BOT. But since I no longer have access to live currency feeds plus I am not inclined to spend too much time on the analysis, I cannot be absolutely certain of the reason why albeit I am pretty confident it is as stated.

EDIT TO ADD: In reading the newspapers this morning it seems the release of consumer credit figures probably played a role in the above, consumers becoming more confident in Remain hence spending more which spurs institutions to buy GBP on the back of that confidence: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/05/26/shoppers-brush-off-brexit-fears-with-record-credit-card-splurge/

Thanks for the erudite explanations about Forex. Very interesting!

Here's something for the Brexiteers!

Net migration last year was about 330,000. Second highest ever

Now, this is something that worries me and is in the other side of my balance. We're getting too crowded.

Now don't misunderstand, I agree with free movement in the EU. I also agree that we need appropriate migration from outside.

But we need to clamp down on bringing relatives of overseas migrants and do something to make life less comfortable for Muslims

Go ahead, call me an islamophobe! Thing is, I do not fear Muslims but I do despise their social mores and customs. I gave a long list previously of the reasons.

Are you suggesting that most Scots would fail to realise the importance of a majority Yes from Scotland? We may have foolishly rejected our previous chance for independence, but we are not so stupid as not to understand the strategy Salmond is referring to. Also - all the Westminster lies and falsehoods have been played to death; we will hopefully not fall for the same lies next time.

2014 was a sad year for Scotland - hopefully 2016 will see our chance to correct the huge mistake we made.

One certainty you can be sure of. Which ever way the vote goes, the SNP will still call for another referendum on separation. Even though Salmons did say the issue would be dead for a generation.You see they don't believe attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1464311835.525902.jpg

in the Union.

We reject the inherent inequality of the UK but we see the advantages of remaining in a reformed EU where our voices are equal and our interests are not considered as an afterthought by those in power. Simple, really.

I wonder why Remainers only have negative reasons to scare people into doing what they want? Why are we not being given a huge list of reasons of all the good things that will happen if we use our vote to remain. It's all speculative "Fear, fear, fear, the sky will collapse on the 24th June 2016 if you don't do what I want."

Screw the fear campaign and everyone who is trying to terrorise us into doing their bidding. Vote Leave and be proud that we didn't cave into fear because of some self serving liars.