Forum upgrade in progress! ×

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?

Scott

SURVEY: Brexit, do you support it?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the UK leaving the EU?

• Yes, I am a UK national and I support leaving the EU.
    • Yes, I support the UK leaving the EU, but I am not a UK national.
    • No, I am a UK national and I do not support leaving the EU.
    • No, I do not support the UK leaving the EU and I am not a UK national.

This poll is closed to new votes

I am a a UK citizen, I believe it would be sad to leave the Union, we are surrounded by it, the sensible thing is to make changes and stay

I have MY UK postal vote even here Thailand and will be voting to stay, may I suggest others who are eligible also get their postal vote, it can all be done online

Nice sentiment, unfortunately it only takes one member state to block a change,and this will not happen on most issues, as they will vote on their own nations interest. Check out how many times the UK tried to change existing regulations, and how many were successful.
Same as it would only take one member state to block a trade deal with the UK should we leave.

Yes I can see BMW, Mercedes,VW, Audi, Fiat, Alpha Romeo,Seat,Skoda to name a few going along with that!!!

Not!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My answer should be no1, but my first loyalty is to myself, and if it means that the GBP plummets if we leave the EU

as what some people are saying, then I could not support leaving as it would make my lifestyle here in Thailand more expensive.

Strange post given that your avatar is the Irish Flag!

thumbsup.gif

Thread update. laugh.png

OUT 70

IN 34

Single white males probably [emoji1]

All 104? Bizarre comment!

I was alluding to the apparant correlation between Brexit supporters and aTrump supporters which is indeed bizarre

So you reckon just under 70% of the people on this forum are single white males - I doubt you're even close.

And as for Trump, he's just a complete <deleted> wit who spouts nonsense in order to avoid dealing with any real issues. There, Trump supporters and me are poles apart and I will definitely be voting to Leave the failing EU. And when the UK leaves, the EU will crumble within two or three years.

Don't know why I put single! I meant white males, probably without tertiary education

But, as for the correlation with Trump supporters based on opinions expressed, that still stands...

BTW it is interesting to note that Peterborough and Cambridge, similar size and about same distance from London are at the extremities of pro and anti Brexit. Can you guess which is which? Why do think that is?

Peterborough for in due to the fact that it is now almost completely over run by people from Eastern Europe

Cambridge for out due to the fact that there are still some English people living there

"Brexit campaigners who argue the UK could get a better trade deal with Europe outside of the EU are “economically illiterate” and dishonest, the Chancellor has claimed."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-campaigners-economically-illiterate-and-dishonest-says-osborne-a6989081.html

Well that's it then. George Osborne must be right. ( sarcasm)

This is the same Eton educated toff of a chancellor who never gets his figures correct, relying instead,in borrowing large sums of money, that has at some time to be paid back.With interest of course.

Not something a Labour Chancellor ever did!!

Thread update. laugh.png

OUT 70

IN 34

I was alluding to the apparant correlation between Brexit supporters and aTrump supporters which is indeed bizarre

So you reckon just under 70% of the people on this forum are single white males - I doubt you're even close.

And as for Trump, he's just a complete <deleted> wit who spouts nonsense in order to avoid dealing with any real issues. There, Trump supporters and me are poles apart and I will definitely be voting to Leave the failing EU. And when the UK leaves, the EU will crumble within two or three years.

Don't know why I put single! I meant white males, probably without tertiary education

But, as for the correlation with Trump supporters based on opinions expressed, that still stands...

BTW it is interesting to note that Peterborough and Cambridge, similar size and about same distance from London are at the extremities of pro and anti Brexit. Can you guess which is which? Why do think that is?

Peterborough for in due to the fact that it is now almost completely over run by people from Eastern Europe

Cambridge for out due to the fact that there are still some English people living there

Hillarious! wrong!

There is a direct correlation between education and pro Europe

Haha

Look, this is a non trivial issue. If you don't understand that them you obviously have not read up on the issues

I can see pros and cons

Believe me, I despair at the lack of democracy

But consider the post war stability for the benefit of all!

What about inward investment? What are the main drivers for that?

I think an out vote would result I n Scotland voting for independence. Not good.

It would be difficult and time consuming to negotiate new trade deals and no one knows the outcome

No other country in the world thinks Brexit is a good idea. Why is that?

BTW, Mercedes and Porsche owners won't give a damn about higher import duty. However, our remain rump of a manufacturing industry will suffer

So, ON BALANCE, stay in and fix things from within.

I'm going to start liking to Economist articles....

Thread update. laugh.png

OUT 70

IN 34

Hillarious! wrong!

Haha

OK then, you pompous know all, tell me why Cam-moron and Johnson have differing views when they were both members of the same pig &lt;deleted&gt; club at Eton? How does that correlate with your education theory?!

What's with all this talk about Scotland separating from the UK if Brexit wins!

The majority of the Scottish people have already voted to remain part of the U.K. and I can't see that changing just because Nicole Sturgeon of the SNP wishes it.

The majority of the Scottish people have already voted to remain part of the U.K. and I can't see that changing just because Nicole Sturgeon of the SNP wishes it.

A bit short sighted. In the end the Scots voted against uncertainty, and there is every chance they would do the same again.

Why try and swim with England in shark infested waters when you can climb aboard the EU lifeboat.

Another opinion piece from Project Syndicate, more from a German perspective but interesting all the same:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/brexit-consequences-for-germany-by-clemens-fuest-2016-04

Oddly enough last month my mate was over from Germany and he was quite happy about the Brexit and extremely unhappy with Angela Merkel.

A bit short sighted. In the end the Scots voted against uncertainty, and there is every chance they would do the same again.

Why try and swim with England in shark infested waters when you can climb aboard the EU lifeboat.

But IF there is a Brexit who would have to take up the slack from the UK contributions.

It is unlikely that Germany can afford to do so, France will simply say "non" and who else is left.

IMHO if the Brexit succeeds the the EU will collapse internally within 5 years.

The EU will need all its own lifeboats.

YMMV.

I am a a UK citizen, I believe it would be sad to leave the Union, we are surrounded by it, the sensible thing is to make changes and stay

I have MY UK postal vote even here Thailand and will be voting to stay, may I suggest others who are eligible also get their postal vote, it can all be done online

Nice sentiment, unfortunately it only takes one member state to block a change,and this will not happen on most issues, as they will vote on their own nations interest. Check out how many times the UK tried to change existing regulations, and how many were successful.
Same as it would only take one member state to block a trade deal with the UK should we leave.
Yes I can see BMW, Mercedes,VW, Audi, Fiat, Alpha Romeo,Seat,Skoda to name a few going along with that!!!

Not!!

The car companies you mention have up to 70% of their business in Asia/China these days....the ones one needs to be concerned with are Nissan, Toyota Honda etc who have factories in the UK for the express purpose of being within the EU and avoiding protectionist duties and quotas.

Yes. For the simple reason of the fear propaganda campaign that is heralded by the exact same people who lied and cheated Scotland out of their independence. That was enough to convince me that we should leave even without the added bonus of restricting the free movement of ISIS who currently have pretty much free reign of Europe.

If being part of the EU is so good for the UK then how come things are going so badly in every sector for us over the last few decades? Remaining in the EU will somehow make everything better?

There is no way that leaving the EU is going to be any worse than remaining in for the UK.

Thread update. laugh.png

OUT 70

IN 34

Hillarious! wrong!

Haha

OK then, you pompous know all, tell me why Cam-moron and Johnson have differing views when they were both members of the same pig <deleted> club at Eton? How does that correlate with your education theory?!

Because Johnson is just playing politics. He wants to demonstrate some difference between himself and Cameron. Nothing to do with Brexit per se

Because of the reduced influence of EU on Westminster. A majority of Scots dislike Westminster in general

OR England is it's own lifeboat (literally surrounded by water) while europe sinks in shark infested waters

66% of Germans are against Merkel

According to a recent poll, 66% of Germans are now against Merkel. As it now stands, if the election were today, she would find perhaps the lowest number of votes of any world leader. It is now impacting everything as vacation spots are seen as possible targets, especially in Spain and France where there is topless bathing. If these people cannot handle a short skirt, they would go really nuts with topless bathing. The poll also shows that 66% of the people are living in fear as they now see rising expectations over the migrant crisis sweeping Europe has reduced the “feeling” that Europe is safe. Now, TWO-THIRDS of Germans say that they expect Islamic State (ISIS) jihadists to attack their country in 2016. Vacationers seem to be looking to America rather than Europe this season. This may have a devastating blow to the European economy later this summer

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/europes-current-economy/66-of-german-people-against-merkel/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-19/two-thirds-germans-are-against-merkel-right-wing-terrorists-arrested-after-refugee-a

The European Union was wrong to have meddled in people’s daily lives, its most senior figure admitted yesterday as he pleaded with voters not to wreck the bloc’s “ideal”.

Jean-Claude Juncker acknowledged that citizens across the continent were “stepping away from the European project” and losing respect for its powers, with fears growing that a British exit will trigger a chain reaction. European legislation had taken precedence over national laws too often, he added.

Opinion polls in Denmark and Sweden showed unprecedented and deepening hostility to the EU this week after the Netherlands rejected a new treaty with Ukraine.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/we-meddle-in-affairs-of-others-admits-eu-chief-7fllj0qzj

Time to administer the coup de grace and put this failed experiment where it belongs.... Buried.

What, and end up like Greece, bankrupt, downtrodden by the EU and ruled by faceless bureaucrats.

The Scottish people are not stupid.

Brexit

You know it makes sense

The European Union was wrong to have meddled in people’s daily lives, its most senior figure admitted yesterday as he pleaded with voters not to wreck the bloc’s “ideal”.

Jean-Claude Juncker acknowledged that citizens across the continent were “stepping away from the European project” and losing respect for its powers, with fears growing that a British exit will trigger a chain reaction. European legislation had taken precedence over national laws too often, he added.

Opinion polls in Denmark and Sweden showed unprecedented and deepening hostility to the EU this week after the Netherlands rejected a new treaty with Ukraine.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/we-meddle-in-affairs-of-others-admits-eu-chief-7fllj0qzj

Time to administer the coup de grace and put this failed experiment where it belongs.... Buried.

I am the first to agree that the current EU is in need of much change but I don't believe it's broken beyond repair. Building the EU is not unlike building the USA and that took many years and a civil war before it became fit for purpose, I doubt that sensible people would advocate administering the coup de grace to the USA today simply because of inter state problems. And if you look at the potential benefits of a competent and mature EU they far outweigh the benefits of the alternative, the fact those benefits haven't yet been fully realised is not a valid reasons to kill the project now, those who do so are following only a nationalistic agenda with a very limited range of vision.

I am the first to agree that the current EU is in need of much change but I don't believe it's broken beyond repair. Building the EU is not unlike building the USA and that took many years and a civil war before it became fit for purpose, I doubt that sensible people would advocate administering the coup de grace to the USA today simply because of inter state problems. And if you look at the potential benefits of a competent and mature EU they far outweigh the benefits of the alternative, the fact those benefits haven't yet been fully realised is not a valid reasons to kill the project now, those who do so are following only a nationalistic agenda with a very limited range of vision.

CM

I think you need to make yourself aware what is due to happen in 2020 with regard to the EU.

Recent events have made the British political commentariat more aware than before of just how committed European political leaders are to delivering political union in a Single European State.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10935617/After-2020-all-EU-members-will-have-to-adopt-the-euro.html

This article from 2014 is written by the Chairman of European Economics.

The only change the EU is going to make is further Political and Monetary integration. It is all detailed on the EU website if you care to look.

Certainly there's lots of aspiration and plans in the works, many of which need change or require change, none of which alters the fact that ,"the potential benefits of a competent and mature EU they far outweigh the benefits of the alternative".

Because of the reduced influence of EU on Westminster. A majority of Scots dislike Westminster in general

Remember too - it won't be "Britain" outside the EU, it will be a "mini-UK" England and maybe Wales.

say goodbye to your freedom to live work and travel in Europe without excessive paperwork.

Say goodbye to cheap food and booze.

say good bye to your property rights in EU

Say good bye to your workers rights and benefits

Say goodbye to new roads and civil engineering projects

and say goodbye to car manufacturers and other industries who have been using UK to export to EU.

say good bye to the transport companies that have shipped goods to EU because it was so easy.

Say good bye to your Polish maid/hairdresser etc

Say goodbye to your local delicatessen.

Say goodbye to safe workplaces......

feel free to add your own......

say goodbye to your lies and fear spreading. No evidence for ANY of that junk!

What, and end up like Greece, bankrupt, downtrodden by the EU and ruled by faceless bureaucrats.

Greece falsified the accounts to gain membership of the EU. They were in the brown stuff before joining and looked to the EU to bail them out while continually overspending.

They should have been kicked out when the fraud came to light, issues like that have contributed to the current problems.

How would UK trade with Europe post-Brexit?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36087636

EU would see Britain in a very negative light - (BTW - Gove is probably one of the least respectable references for any opinion on this)

UK - whats left of it - would have to re-negotiate from a point of disadvantage 40 years of trade deals and import/export deregulation.

Simply the extra time taken for goods to clear customs in both directions would put millions of pounds/euros on the bills of goods and commodities.

many companies in UK actually run their businesses in Euros - it saves time and effort using the pound - they would all have to re-assess this as the moverment of captial is likely to be restricted by governments trying to hold on to capital and stop it flying out of the country.

UK (or the British Isles) has been part of Europe for 2000 years, our genes,language and trade all come largely from Europe, why on earth would they want to take a deliberate step away - it is nothing short of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

it also seems that in reality it isn't the UK that wants to leave at all - out of the 4 countries in the UK there is only one that has any chance of voting to leave - England. why should the English tell the N. Irish, Welsh and Scots what to do?i

Greece falsified the accounts to gain membership of the EU. They were in the brown stuff before joining and looked to the EU to bail them out while continually overspending.

They should have been kicked out when the fraud came to light, issues like that have contributed to the current problems.

More precisely, Goldman s falsified the accounts, albeit legally. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/greek-debt-crisis-goldman-sachs-could-be-sued-for-helping-country-hide-debts-when-it-joined-euro-10381926.html

Archived