Johnny Depp's wife Amber Heard avoids jail in Australian dog smuggling spat

webfact

Amber Heard avoids jail in Australian dog smuggling spat
KRISTEN GELINEAU, Associated Press

SYDNEY (AP) — Actor Johnny Depp's wife Amber Heard pleaded guilty Monday to providing a false immigration document when the couple brought their two dogs into Australia last year, but she managed to avoid jail time over what was dubbed the "war on terrier" debacle.

Prosecutors dropped more serious charges that Heard illegally imported the Yorkshire terriers, Pistol and Boo, into the country while Depp was filming the fifth movie in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. A conviction on the two illegal importation counts could have sent the actress to prison for up to 10 years.

Depp and Heard said little to the waiting throng of reporters and fans outside the Southport Magistrates Court on Queensland state's Gold Coast, but they did submit a videotaped apology to the court that was played during Monday's hearing.

It drew gibes online for the couple's grim, wooden appearance as Heard apologized and they both expressed support for protecting Australia's biodiversity, the aim of the strict quarantine regulations that were violated.

"When you disrespect Australian law," Depp says in the video, "they will tell you firmly."

The drama over the dogs began last May, when Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce accused Depp of smuggling the tiny terriers aboard his private jet when he returned to Australia to resume filming the "Pirates" movie.

Bringing pets into Australia involves applying for a permit and quarantine on arrival of at least 10 days to prevent the spread of diseases such as rabies.

"If we start letting movie stars — even though they've been the sexiest man alive twice — to come into our nation (with pets), then why don't we just break the laws for everybody?" Joyce said at the time. "It's time that Pistol and Boo buggered off back to the United States."

Depp and Heard were given 72 hours to send Pistol and Boo back to the U.S., with officials warning that the dogs would otherwise be euthanized. The pooches boarded a flight home just hours before the deadline expired.

The comments by Joyce, who is now the deputy prime minister of Australia, elevated what might otherwise have been a local spat into a global delight for comedians and broadcasters. One newspaper website ran a doggie death countdown ticker, and comedian John Oliver dedicated a more than 6-minute segment to lampooning the ordeal.

Depp himself poked fun at the drama during a press conference in Venice, Italy, last year where he was asked if he planned to take the dogs for a gondola ride. "No," he replied. "I killed my dogs and ate them, under direct orders from some kind of, I don't know, sweaty, big-gutted man from Australia."

Joyce posted a link to the couple's apology video on his Facebook page, and later told reporters he doubted it was something the pair would have "willingly wanted to do." Still, he gave them credit for acknowledging they had made a mistake.

"I am happy that Ms. Heard has admitted that she was wrong and as such, that clearly shows that our position in pursuit of this was correct," Joyce told journalists. "Every nation has something that they're red hot about, and we're red hot about our biosecurity requirements in this nation."

When asked why Depp wasn't charged as well, the prosecutor's office said that there had been a "lack of admissible evidence" against anyone except Heard.

The false documents charge carries a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a fine of more than 10,000 Australian dollars ($7,650), but Magistrate Bernadette Callaghan sentenced Heard instead to a one-month good behavior bond. The condition means she will have to pay a AU$1,000 fine if she commits any offenses in Australia over the next month.

Heard's lawyer, Jeremy Kirk, told the court that his client never meant to lie on her incoming passenger card by failing to declare she had animals with her. In truth, Kirk said, she was simply jetlagged and assumed her assistants had sorted out the paperwork.

"She has made a tired, terrible mistake," Kirk said.

Prosecutor Peter Callaghan said ignorance and fatigue were no excuse. "The laws apply to everyone," he said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-19

oh dear......jail for what!.......pisser of an apology video..............Depp looked so bemused-don't blame him....tell australian authorities to F themselves i say.....

Depp has more class and charisma than any of these hack toads.....

oh dear......jail for what!.......pisser of an apology video..............Depp looked so bemused-don't blame him....tell australian authorities to F themselves i say.....

Big bank account film stars are your thing then.....?

i think some guardian newspaper film critic said depp and heard made themselves look the butt of the joke(video)....LOL

i seen it more as an up-yours kind of sketch......i'm not hiring anyone.....but if i was Depp would be near the top of the list.

He is one of the most bankable actors in the business......if i was worth half a billion or so i would take the piss out of those

government lacky's too.......sorry.gif .......NOT.......

There was never even the slightest chance of her going to gaol. The 'no conviction recorded' may have been why they went ahead and pleaded guilty to the lessor charge and did the video. That could cause her a lot of Visa problems in a lot of countries having to admit she had a criminal conviction for making a false declaration. She was not charged with smuggling the dogs into Australia.

Yes you could do that and I doubt the outcome would be the same as the Depp's.

Not quite sure how you would go if you stood up and told a Judge hearing your case that the authorities and the Judge can go F themselves. Give it a try let me know how you go. lol

Since it took an entire year to settle this case I wonder if every major crime case since the 70's is still in litigation.

I guess they would only take jurors in their 20's or 30's who are expected to still be alive at the end of the trial.

i think some guardian newspaper film critic said depp and heard made themselves look the butt of the joke(video)....LOL

That was in response to a couple Yank articles saying Depp and wife took the piss from the Aussies. Having the Yanks laugh and sneer at the Aussies seemed to agitate and upset the Brit news biggrin.png

My own oipinon. Oz gets pretty good press in the US, it is about time they get a better idea about what a two bit country it really is.

Edited by LomSak27

Can't see them getting extradition for that. She just wouldn't have gone to Oz again. No big loss.

Better for everyone to play the apology game, than the you can't catch me game.

She was in court. They didn't have apply for extradition

Just Australian authorities or authorities world wide? Maybe you're American and consider yourself superior. Laws of lands apply to everyone. Next time the police speak to you in Thailand or wherever tell them to go F themselves and see what happens.

WOW, what a intelligent reply, i am sure you have no idea , we in this country do abide with the laws [ well most of us] and just because some hi-so comes here and does believe they are above the law???? i think they should have been dealt a lot more, like they say on here " send a message'

That was in response to a couple Yank articles saying Depp and wife took the piss from the Aussies. Having the Yanks laugh and sneer at the Aussies seemed to agitate and upset the Brit news biggrin.png

My own oipinon. Oz gets pretty good press in the US, it is about time they get a better idea about what a two bit country it really is.

You need to get some real education, the press in most countries are only reporting what will make their newspaper sell, so your quote does not make sense, and your attitude towards australia is uncalled for, WAKE-UP????

Funny!

'To further honour your proud island of exiled British degenerates' haha, love it! Most Aussies probably wouldn't see the humour as they're so far up themselves... but wait, exiled British degenerates also goes for USA too doesn't it? [emoji3]

The original video was superb; that Aussie politician (Joyce was it) mocking him for his 'performance' was so far out of his depth, he couldn't see Depp was taking the piss. A class act.

Can't see them getting extradition for that. She just wouldn't have gone to Oz again. No big loss.

Better for everyone to play the apology game, than the you can't catch me game.

"Extradition", from where, both came back to Australia to face the music. Follow the whole story, before commenting.

I am so out of touch. I had no idea who either of these 'personalities' were when I saw the story. If he's an actor then I've missed all his films. coffee1.gif

He has won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Actor in a Leading Role for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003), and the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007 film). He is also a three-time Academy Award nominee.

Lol, if any of this really ruffles your tail fathers, well . . . I am not even sure what to say except God bless you. Love the video . . . Hahaha. And they wanted to do what to Pistol and Boo . . . Savages, just savages I tell ya.

Since Depp and his wife broke the law they have been seen as the victims. Depp's wife made a false declaration on a legal document in Australia. She broke the law, lied and made a false declaration knowing full well it carried 10 years imprisonment. Americans laugh, ridicule and treat Australians as a backwood 4th world country and we understand that. We will never be equal to Americans, the superior race. We do have laws and beg you to obey them not bare your arse and shit on us

Since Depp and his wife broke the law they have been seen as the victims. Depp's wife made a false declaration on a legal document in Australia. She broke the law, lied and made a false declaration knowing full well it carried 10 years imprisonment. Americans laugh, ridicule and treat Australians as a backwood 4th world country and we understand that. We will never be equal to Americans, the superior race. We do have laws and beg you to obey them not bare your arse and shit on us

Lol, sounds like a personal problem to me . . . I suppose you wanted to see poor Boo and Pistol euthanized. The hang them doggies high brigade. No one views anyone as victims. The world didn't stop rotating. Boo and Pistol made it home and did not spread the black doggies plague across Australia. Australia would do better guaranteeing some folks than Boo and Pistol if they are really concerned about the health and welfare of their country.

If any fun is to be poked, it is attitudes like this and the spectacle that fat blubbering idiot, Barnacle Joyce, made that make all of this such a pathetic joke.

Edited by F430murci

Lol, sounds like a personal problem to me . . . I suppose you wanted to see poor Boo and Pistol euthanized. The hang them doggies high brigade. No one views anyone as victims. The world didn't stop rotating. Boo and Pistol made it home and did not spread the black doggies plague across Australia. Australia would do better guaranteeing some folks than Boo and Pistol if they are really concerned about the health and welfare of their country.

If any fun is to be poked, it is attitudes like this and the spectacle that fat blubbering idiot, Barnacle Joyce, made that make all of this such a pathetic joke.

No I didn't want to see the dogs put down. I wanted to see Americans obey Australian laws when visiting the country and not spitting in the face of locals.

No I didn't want to see the dogs put down. I wanted to see Americans obey Australian laws when visiting the country and not spitting in the face of locals.

Yeah, people make mistakes and I am sure it won't happen again. No one is spitting in anyone's face. I get the dog thing. These can be like children to people. I am sure they are obeying Australian laws, helped by the economy and Johnny Depp does a lot of good for those in need and less fortunate children. They are not exactly hooligans and I am sure you have perhaps broken a rule or a law yourself at least once in your life. It happens. Move on.