Yellow House Book -Tabian Baan

Seems different places have different requirements.

In ladproaw they want a translation of my passport.

But I will be applying in thonburi who I find are a lot easier.

I want to get this book to put a car in my name.

So do I have to have passport translated then verified by MFA or embassy.

Still none the wiser

You shall check what the office want, where you are going to apply for Yellow House Book.

Normally your passport need to be translated by an authorized translator – often a lawyer – who has the right documentation, which proof become the major part of your translation folder. Often the price is equivalent to the documentation and right rubber stamp.

Are you sure you need a Yellow House Book for vehicle registration, and not just an address-approval-letter from Immigration together with Non-immigrant Visa..?

Then I will get my passport translated. And go from there.

I just think it will be easier when buying and selling my car rather than going to MFA everything for a letter of residence.

• Like 1

These are just my own opinions:

1. The reason they might ask for a passport translation is that your legal name is in the Yellow Tabian Baan in the Thai alphabet. It must be correct so that whenever the yellow book is used as ID, the name in the Thai alphabet will be the same. I was fortunate when I got my yellow book in Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, they had someone in their office make the translation of my name. It has been a few years.

2. If foreigners continue asking for Yellow Tabian Baans when they are not necessarily tied to the physical address (that is they may change residence at any time) and not do the correct cancellations of the registration, it will only get harder to obtain the yellow books.

Correct.... when doing my kids I'D cards they use the spell2in birth certificate and ask if it's correct.

Also when I done something else at the kaet they always ask is this the correct spelling of your name in Thai on birth certificate.

First of all it has nothing to do with what province you are located in, the major question is whether or not your local tessaban or amphur makes it easy or difficult

The only people that have to have it are those who are interested in Permanent Residency since they must be listed in a Yellow Book

For the rest of us, if difficult then you have to weigh is it worth it for the few times it is going to be used and are there are easily obtained alternatives

Yes, it can be used at most Land Transport Offices to register a vehicle in your name, as can a Residency Certificate available at Immigration for 200-500 THB, so how many times are you going to register a vehicle in your name ? And, all LTO's accept the Residency Certificate issued by Immigration

Yes, it can be used by some banks to open an account, but once again, how often are you going to open a bank account ? And not all require it, and if they do move along to the the next bank down the street

I own a house in a company name and a condo in my name and in 10 years here have not had one occasion where I needed to jump through the hoops to obtain a Yellow Book

Edited by Langsuan Man

I have been trying to get a yellow house book for over a year but the girl in the local Amphor office has been stonewalling us. Eventually her boss upbraided her in front of us and she was apparently instructed to do her job. I say apparently because who knows what goes on behind the scenes? There have been numerous suggestions and comments by others including other government staff that she and possibly he are just after tea money and playing with us. To make a long story short, it cost a considerable amount in transport, hotels, embassy fees and Thai Foreign Affairs approvals to the documents, to get my passport and our overseas marriage licence translated & approved. We then arranged an appointment at the Amphor with our Poo Yai and wife's ex-school teacher in attendance as independent witnesses, and all the documents and in front of everyone, after all this expense and palaver I was presented with a form that required my parents' full names my female siblings' full names, married and single, as well as my ex wife's maiden name. After struggling for months to get them to even do a yellow book for me I felt I had no option but to comply. It would have caused major embarrassment to my wife for me to refuse and after we had dragged our witnesses there etc.

They even had a form for us to take to Immigration (we had to drive 80 kilometers, a 3-4 hour round trip in bad provincial traffic) to get them to confirm I had reported every 90 days and had complied with all other immigration requirements which Thai Immigration were obviously most displeased to receive and have to fill in for the Amphor. But Immigration said they would do it and were going to fax it back within a week or so. If they have done it, perhaps there is a yellow book waiting for me, if not????????????? We have had other local crises going on and not been back to the Amphor in the last 2 weeks.

In retrospect however, she probably now has enough info on me to sell to someone wanting to do a full scale identity theft on me. I do not welcome supplying this sort of useless (to them) but dangerous (to us) info to numerous Thai agencies for them to perhaps reuse as a hand out on the reverse of a form to all in sundry sometime. It is a serious problem that every petty bureaucrat can decide to collect and hold this information on a whim.

One possibly scary / possibly useful piece of info from Thai Immigration. Once your Thai marriage licence (or expensively obtained translated and approved) overseas marriage certificate is actually lodged and scanned into your local Amphor system, it is available on-line from any Amphor office anywhere in Thailand. There are occasions where this form is necessary for possible future immigration or residence/naturalization processes. So if you subsequently need this info when you are in Bangkok or somewhere else or fall out with someone at your local Amphor you can obtain it from any Amphor.

• Like 1

2. If foreigners continue asking for Yellow Tabian Baans when they are not necessarily tied to the physical address (that is they may change residence at any time) and not do the correct cancellations of the registration, it will only get harder to obtain the yellow books.

House book registration in Thailand is not tied to a physical/residential location as in most other countries. A person just needs to be registered somewhere.

They have a countrywide computerized database and registration details of any particular person can be pulled at any district office. That's not only valid for your house book but also for other information, for instance for marriage documentation (Kor Ror 2 or 22), you can get this everywhere.

// but in Pattaya area this Yellow Book is *not* accepted as proof of address for a Thai Driving Licence

(they want an Address Certificate from Immigration) //

And maybe also the phase of the moon?...

I am in the Pattaya area; got me license from Nong Prue. They were happy with my Yellow Book and //

When? It's about 2 years now that Pattaya DLT stopped accepted the Yellow Book.

Just search for "Driving Licence Yellow Book" on this ThaivIsa forum

or here :

I renewed my DL yesterday at Pattaya DLT.

Saw two people turned away trying to use a Yellow Book as proof of residence.

Both were told to get a Certificate of Residency at Immigration.

Edited by Pattaya46

// but in Pattaya area this Yellow Book is *not* accepted as proof of address for a Thai Driving Licence

(they want an Address Certificate from Immigration) //

And maybe also the phase of the moon?...

I am in the Pattaya area; got me license from Nong Prue. They were happy with my Yellow Book and //

When? It's about 2 years now that Pattaya DLT stopped accepted the Yellow Book.

Just search for "Driving Licence Yellow Book" on this ThaivIsa forum

or here :

I renewed my DL yesterday at Pattaya DLT.

Saw two people turned away trying to use a Yellow Book as proof of residence.

Both were told to get a Certificate of Residency at Immigration.

March 2015.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on original post

Received the yellow book a few days ago and it was a very quick, painless and free process.

This was at the municipality office in Kathu Phuket. On the friday I handed in photocopies of my documents which were checked and then answered a few questions. The following wednesday I received a call saying that the book was ready so I went and collected it, no problems what so ever

• Like 2

Update on original post

Received the yellow book a few days ago and it was a very quick, painless and free process.

This was at the municipality office in Kathu Phuket. On the friday I handed in photocopies of my documents which were checked and then answered a few questions. The following wednesday I received a call saying that the book was ready so I went and collected it, no problems what so ever

Are you able to detail the documents required for the benefit of others living in the Kathu district. ( I presume you are taking about the Amphur when you refer to the "municipality office")

Thanks.

Yep Ive got a Thai daughter and the documents that I took were

Passport with non o visa

Certificate of residence from immigration

Daughters birth certificate

Blue tabian baan for our house with girlfriend and daughter in it

Id card of girlfriend

Court document from when I legitimised paternity

Document issued from the Amphur in Phuket town when registering paternity

2 photographs

Also took gf and daughter along

As I say really quick and pleasant process that only took a couple of days

• Like 1

Got mine in Khon Kaen in one day.

All quite simple.

Address document from Immigration.

Document from Police Station.

Back to Amphur to meet up with our Pyu Yai Baan as witness.

Yellow book issued within a few minutes.

Can I ask when you got book please very diffrent story from my experience in KK

Probably a different Amphoe. It could be anyone of the 26 Amohoes in KK.
Got it in KK town center about three years ago.

Yes same Amphoe and still a very diffrent experience took 4 to 5 weeks after I got everything they needed I had to sign a statement regarding where I was living as did Wife and village head man. They then sent it away to wherever for checking I had no other yellow book in my name. Once that came back done in minutes. This was in November/December 2015

The only people that have to have it are those who are interested in Permanent Residency since they must be listed in a Yellow Book

The other two musts are 1. Those applying directly for citizenship and 2. Those applying for a firearms license.

Granted, neither of those are something people do too frequently.

• 6 months later...

the slow one, here:

after following this topic for so long, you'd think I could catch on.

I want to open a brokerage account, at Krungsri Securities.

This is a copy/paste of what they want:

A copy of House Registration or other proof of residence in Thailand or work permit (for foreigners).

1. I do not have a work permit - as I have a retired type O extension .

2. I have a blue book for my apartment, evidently it was arranged for by the developer.

It shows only the address. No residents (which, I believe, is correct; as I am not a Thai national/company).

I have a registered lease of the apartment. But my lawyer says the idea of applying to exchange the Blue book for a a Yellow book is - ''complicated''.

3. I live at another province, not at the apartment. Local officers where I live say (emphatically)  ''we do not understand how to issue you a yellow book'' - i.e  we do not have a ''how to'' operating manual.'' 

This summarizes what I think I need to do: - any advice welcome.:

1. get a copy of the (unregistered)  lease of the house I live in;

2. we and the landlady filed TM28 and TM30, at the date we signed the lease. Unfortunately, we do not have a copy of those 2 forms. is that likely to be a problem?

3. Go to the Provinmcial Immigration office and ask for a Certificate of Residency

Do I need any other paperwork, besides copies of my passport (which includes the most recent 90 day filing receipt).

Meanwhile, I am attempting to get someone at Krungsri Securities to tell me if a Certificate of Residency will be acceptable as proof of residence .

Thanks !