Koh-i-noor: India says it still wants return of priceless diamond

webfact

Koh-i-noor: India says it still wants return of priceless diamond

LONDON: -- The Indian government says it is still seeking to reclaim the priceless Koh-i-noor diamond from Britain, despite the Supreme Court being told otherwise.

The gem came into British hands in the 19th Century and is part of the Crown Jewels on show at the Tower of London.

Ownership of the famous gem is an emotional issue for many Indians, who believe it was stolen by the British.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36088749

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-04-20

Long an interesting history this diamond has - it was the treasured possession of the Durrani rulers of Afghanistan before being taken by the Sikh Empire.

Dear India.

thank you for your concerns but as you already occupy most of London we believe in keeping this for ourselves so your countrymen can see it here for themselves.

No be good chappies and go away now.

SPOILS OF A VANQUISHED NATION.

Long an interesting history this diamond has - it was the treasured possession of the Durrani rulers of Afghanistan before being taken by the Sikh Empire.

India is pressing for this so they can return the diamond to its rightful owners in Afghanistan, right? whistling.gif

My mom had a collection of rings and pendants. There were some diamonds and a beer colored cut stone bigger than the Koh-i-noor. She would show them off and offer them to her 3 boys - to give to their girlfriends/wives once in awhile. Only one of her sons gave a hoot. He was a Bible-thumper who married and divorced 7 times, and had about 11 kids which he didn't raise or provide for. Anyhow, half my mom's baubles were distributed to the elder son's wives/g.f's and the two younger sons don't give it any thought, except to write a paragraph like this.

Dear India.

thank you for your concerns but as you already occupy most of London we believe in keeping this for ourselves so your countrymen can see it here for themselves.

No be good chappies and go away now.

SPOILS OF A VANQUISHED NATION.

Dear India

here is some coal. Just put pressure on it.

I thought there was some points of international law and national treasures/artifacts which stipulated ownership by original provenance. In America currently, the FBI is investigating an old stamp that reappeared. Some Brit inherited the stamp of the upside down (Jenny) plane. It was stolen long ago. They are investigating because it makes no difference who's hands the stamp crossed, or how innocent the attainment was. The only thing that matters is the origin. This premise is also all over international law (I thought). This diamond is from India! I am unaware that any argues its chain of custody. To me its pretty simple- Its an Indian stone.

I thought there was some points of international law and national treasures/artifacts which stipulated ownership by original provenance. In America currently, the FBI is investigating an old stamp that reappeared. Some Brit inherited the stamp of the upside down (Jenny) plane. It was stolen long ago. They are investigating because it makes no difference who's hands the stamp crossed, or how innocent the attainment was. The only thing that matters is the origin. This premise is also all over international law (I thought). This diamond is from India! I am unaware that any argues its chain of custody. To me its pretty simple- Its an Indian stone.

Was an lndian stone.

Before that an Afghan stone.

Before that, who knows?

Dry your eyes, Princess.

Yes, but it was "given" to the Queen. Now it is India is asking for it back would that make them Indian givers. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

In all seriousness if it were to be returned should it not be returned to the descendants of the family that

was coerced into "giving" it to the Queen.

India was an occupied and conquered nation the same that the USA did to the Indians. Now who owns the USA? We can go on and on about every country really.

India was OWNED by England. So it was not STOLEN but GIVEN even if a little interference was encouraged but the fact is England owned the Country so it really belongs to England

India was an occupied and conquered nation the same that the USA did to the Indians. Now who owns the USA? We can go on and on about every country really.

India was OWNED by England. So it was not STOLEN but GIVEN even if a little interference was encouraged but the fact is England owned the Country so it really belongs to England

There was no "India" before the Brits. Rather a loose collection of states and local rulers. The same goes for the USA, sort of.

I think there might be some ownership issues if the decedents of whomever had nominal control of the area are still around. I have met such people still owning vast tracts of land, palaces and relics, but then there are also places which are now Union property (or de-facto run under Union management).