Foreign tourist viciously beaten by drunken Thai men

webfact

****SELLING CONDO IN PATTAYA CHEAP*******

on second-thought, just going to give it away

in fact, i'll throw in 100,000 baht to take it

OK, OK......if you drive me to airport you can have car, gf, condo, and some loose diamonds

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The police report says they were all teenagers..my guess is they've done this before..AND they're from an 'untouchable' family there in Pattaya.

BEFORE you lot rip into me for this statement I went thru' a similar incident over Songkran (3 Thai men..again using Muay Thai style) & because the case was reported I'm now fearing

further attacks from friends/family of these 'untouchables'.

Incidents like this are happening weekly across Thailand, & the Thai youths nowadays are wicked, spiteful, & resentful towards Westerners.

One member posted earlier here that it's unsafe to be out after say 1.00am..I totally agree...late at night try not to put yourself in a position that makes

you an easy target, such as walking home alone etc. Stay safe.

I do not talk to, nor make eye contact with, Thai men unless I am transacting business with them. To do so is to encourage trouble.

works for me as well

fortunately stonewalling does not get interpreted as hostile so far, and they dont have anything i want or need

You said "I do not talk to, nor make eye contact with, Thai men"

Since they constitute (approx) 50% of the population, and the other 50% aren't trustworthy, you must have an interesting life.....

happy Joe posted

I lived many years in Pattaya.

Never, never have I seen Thais men beat a stranger for no reason.
I believe that this information is incomplete.
So the comments that follow will be pure fanciful speculations as usual.
First Happy Joe, looks like you joined Thaivisa last year, Greetings!!
Strange as it may seem we have many recent TV members, who are also "long term" residents who also jump on these news articles and proclaim: "never never have I seen thais men beat a stranger for no reason" or words to that effect. biggrin.png Looks like you have many "long Term" friends here WooHoo!
Myself I have only lived in Thailand for almost 2 decades now. I and every one of my friends, (Thai and western) would say group beat downs of tourists, westerners and other thais is a nasty aspect of Thai culture and one, you should watch out for.
Dear, you politely express your opinion and I will answer in the same tone that I appreciate this view but I do not share.
I repeat that I have never seen or heard of Thais assaulting tourist without reason. Obviously, that can occur because in general rules there are exceptions but never to my knowledge.
However I have been repeatedly outraged by the behavior of some visitors acting as in a conquered country, arrogant and contemptuous with the mind completely ravaged by alcohol and abuse of any kind.
These excesses are found on this forum where these people provide their illusion of superiority on almost all subjects.
Fortunately we also find here beads of good sense but we really need to sort...

do you sell suits?

They want the visitors money, it goes with the turf!!!

If he was Thai what do you think would have happened?

****SELLING CONDO IN PATTAYA CHEAP*******

on second-thought, just going to give it away

and the 100,000

in fact, i'll throw in 100,000 baht to take it

OK, OK......if you drive me to airport you can have car, gf, condo, and some loose diamonds

I'll take the diamonds and the 100.000 and I'll arange a trip to the airport, does that help? thumbsup.gif

The police report says they were all teenagers..my guess is they've done this before..AND they're from an 'untouchable' family there in Pattaya.

BEFORE you lot rip into me for this statement I went thru' a similar incident over Songkran (3 Thai men..again using Muay Thai style) & because the case was reported I'm now fearing

further attacks from friends/family of these 'untouchables'.

Incidents like this are happening weekly across Thailand, & the Thai youths nowadays are wicked, spiteful, & resentful towards Westerners.

One member posted earlier here that it's unsafe to be out after say 1.00am..I totally agree...late at night try not to put yourself in a position that makes

you an easy target, such as walking home alone etc. Stay safe.

untouchables wandering around drunk and barefoot?

He narrowly escaped attack by foolishly scaring the hell out of that sleeping 7-11 soi dog.

Wasn't so lucky with the next 3 soi dogs he ran into 'round the corner.

I know, those sleeping dogs on the steps of a 7/11, that Thais play with, writing on them with a marker, pulling their tail, aren't always that friendly with foreigners. Coming out of a 7/11 that I frequent, while putting some change in my pocket, that had a hole in it, so five baht went down my leg and landed by this dogs rear end. She hangs out inside and outside the store 24/7. She see's me often, so I thought, no problem to reach down and pick it up. She suddenly awakened, giving me a 'GRRRR", I quickly backed off. A Thai came out as that was happening, he said something like 'Oh my'. I said, 'I'll leave her the money for food.'

If you've seen the dynamics of violence, and the body language, the indignation, the quizzical-inquisitorial outage, the joint-involvement without a leader, the "punishment" nature of the whole thing and the "Has retribution been exacted?" quality ........there's almost certainly a backstory. It reeks of a particular kind of violence - retribution. Possibly ill-founded, almost certainly excessive, very likely drunken, but retribution.

In how many countries could/would physically weak third parties get involved and stop it? In most places you'd be on your own. Kitty Genovese.

Good eyes there, Craig. Also notice the farang's body language. We wasn't exactly projecting a fighting spirit. Defintely what the boys would consider an easy target.

Anybody know how the guy that's got beaten up is?

Anywhere in the world where there are lots of drunk/high people around you have to be careful, be streetwise and you will be fine in +99 % of the time. I know some people here on TV is already packing the suitcase but I am staying.

Well it could have been worse I guess. He survived. Do we know the foreigners nationality ? I'm guessing Russian.

He was very very drunk that's for sure. And the teens were high on drugs or alcohol , a lethal combination . He probably did something to provoke the attack , but still no excuse , the Thai kids should get punished severely but unfortunately nothing will happen . They will go back to their violent TV games and practice more killings.

Could it happen to anyone ? At the wrong time , the wrong place , yes maybe it could, but I still feel safe walking in the soi's here, but then I'm not walking around drunk and I'm home before midnight most days. .

I cannot understand why this guy just sits there taking what are not particularly good or hard kicks. i know there are 3 of them, but I would have lost my temper and gone for one of them. Getting beaten up is one thing, but if it's going to happen, at least get hold of one of them and smash his head on the floor a few times.

There must be more to this. The guy just sits there and takes it, nearly looking as if hes taking whats coming to him.

If it was a random attack would you not offer some resistance?

If it was unprevoked, you would think he would at least be up and running, or going for the throat of one of them

The problem with offering resistance is the immediate escalation. 2 or 3 on one, and if that doesn't work, pick up a weapon and start beating the guy to within an inch of his life, if not outright killing him.

If he knows Thai behavior, then not engaging may have saved his life. Even if he fought them off, as we've all seen before, they end up coming back with more people, or with re-bar, or with machetes, or a gun. I've lived here long enough to see this scenario play out before. Better to be the loser and bruised than the temporary victor, and then dead or severely injured when they come back to finish the job.

Basically same rules as in prison. Take your beating and shut up or you'll get more.

Same principle in Thailand or any country in the world.

They are minors so as in most countries, nothing will happen to them. (In fact, in many countries if he hurt the minor he would get in trouble)

The fact that they were walking around without their shirt on is still the curious point for me. My TGF tells me that it's not normal for boys to walk like that unless they are mao mao or smell from yabba. Plus it was night time, so can not blame the 'heat'.

Also, did anyone notice at the beginning of the fight one of the guys seemed to have a bar or something in his hand that he put away (and did not appear to use)?

I wonder if TAT will do anything about this? I'd rather they clamp down on this violence than bikini night at a gentleman's lounge.

I heard about a British guy who was beaten up by about 4 thai men a few years back. He waited a few weeks and then paid a visit to the restaurant kitchen where the gang ringleader worked. The British guy broke the Thai guy's arms, legs and face. Basically he left him in a mess. He had already packed his bags, bought a plane ticket and had a friend waiting for him outside on a motorbike.

So yes, you don't have to back down completely.

Why was someone standing inside the building with a hand-held camera/phone filming this farang patting a dog? Something else must have happened to cause them to start filming.

You've never heard of a surveillance camera? What you see is the police looking at the video footage, not someone inside the store holding a camera.

As to those who say no one ever gets attacked without provoking, I'd beg to differ as documentary after documentary from all around the world show that some people randomly target others for violence, just for kicks.

Sorry group thug apologists, I don't buy any reason why these guys needed to keep wailing on the victim after the employee broke things up.

Wasn't there a cult in the USA of black guys randomly knocking people out and filming it a few years back.

Why was someone standing inside the building with a hand-held camera/phone filming this farang patting a dog? Something else must have happened to cause them to start filming.

You've never heard of a surveillance camera? What you see is the police looking at the video footage, not someone inside the store holding a camera.

As to those who say no one ever gets attacked without provoking, I'd beg to differ as documentary after documentary from all around the world show that some people randomly target others for violence, just for kicks.

Sorry group thug apologists, I don't buy any reason why these guys needed to keep wailing on the victim after the employee broke things up.

Wasn't there a cult in the USA of black guys randomly knocking people out and filming it a few years back.

It wasn't just black guys, it was all kinds of people that got into it. Kind of like planking. Everybody was doing it to generate attention on youtube and other sites.

Your 14/15 years of age.Youve never known your country not to be 'invaded' by foreigner's.Many with Thai girls hanging off them.You are told that 'the white ones have money tree's in their back gardens,and they are all millionaires.And that your sister,who works in some bar downtown has 2 or 3 of them as boy friends,who 'give her money' for just sitting and chatting with them.

Youve nowhere to go and nothing to do,so you pick up with another 3 kids who say its great to go to places where the ferang bars are and wait for a drunken one and then beat him sensless..No! its not cowardice that you you all beat him up,its justice.You already know that its ok to beat up on ferang's and the cops wont do anything because your dad told you that cops hate the ferang too.So you wait until a prospect (slightly drunk) comes out of a bar (its best to get them alone) and you make up some lie and then proceed to beat 7 kinds of shit out of him.You like to do it in the open,because it impresses other Thai people and it makes you feel like a god.

But after a while it gets boring,so you take a knife,Of course you dont intend to use it,its just for show,but this time,with the screaming crowd of bystanders,you get a little bit braver and you go a little bit further and then theres blood blood,and you still have this feeling of power coursing through you,your a hero to your mates.And you all run away.Until the next time.

This is the beginning,the rest is history.

I cannot understand why this guy just sits there taking what are not particularly good or hard kicks. i know there are 3 of them, but I would have lost my temper and gone for one of them. Getting beaten up is one thing, but if it's going to happen, at least get hold of one of them and smash his head on the floor a few times.

He was very drunk! He could barely walk , did you even watch the video ? If it was me , I would run into the shop , and if the kids were chasing me inside I would throw something at them , but I'm not a fighter so I would keep a distance . That would probably have helped me.

But that guy was too drunk to defend himself .

the core of this incident is "small weiner syndrome". i think the guy went around the corner to take a leak and saw his sausage.

they are working with pencils here...

Top educational post, you sly Freudian master you.

You seem to be an expert, was your training conducted in the locker room as a youth?

Many Thai men are just itching to do this, and the women stand and laugh. It seems to be fairly nationwide, though in Pattaya which attracts all the dross from around the world, and the lowest levels of Thai society, it's probably going to kick off more often.

Your "expert opinion" is it then? ?

"Many" Thai men you say? Strange, lived here 5 yrs. and the only people who have asaulted me were expats - not a sinlge Thai.

B*ll*cks

It wasn't just black guys, it was all kinds of people that got into it. Kind of like planking. Everybody was doing it to generate attention on youtube and other sites.

When blacks knockout white people it was a game. When a white guy KOd a black guy, then it was considered a hate crime.

Better to be arrested for having pepperspray than being beaten up by a bunch of losers.

Is pepperspray illegal?

YES!!!

But oven cleaner isn't... whistling.gif

If using oven clearner as directed.. Not carry around as a weapon..

There must be more to this. The guy just sits there and takes it, nearly looking as if hes taking whats coming to him.

If it was unprevoked, you would think he would at least be up and running, or going for the throat of one of them

Three on one. He was drunk. Probably the smartest thing he could have done is got inside the store. These guys would likely have killed him or grabbed bottles or tire irons or something. Cowards. Beware this is simmering below the surface.

Good point. I was thinking the same. 2 options possible here.

Example: Perhaps he disrespected the peasant sister of one of the guys thinking she was a prostitute(this confusion is quite possible for uninformed 1st timers).

Anything could have happened behind the scenes that we are unaware of.

Then again, maybe he just sat there thinking that it would be impossible to fight these 3 pieces of human excrement so I may as well just take it.

In any case, the 3 guys are in no way justified to kick this guy around like that and if he would've stood up and grabbed a lose pavement tile or any other broken piece of Thai society lying around and smashed it in their faces they would've ran away but as he just sat there the 3 cowards thought that he was scared and as we all know wolves only attack the scared animals.

He was lucky the shop owners helped him or else they would've kicked and jumped on him until he was dead.

Lesson number 1 when in Thailand; never sit back and take a beating. More and more excrement will join in to get a few kicks in at the foreigner. Always stand your ground even if it means dying in the process

Really - I would have thought that this would have been the last thing the uninformed 1st timers would have thought.

Unless of course you are suggesting that where you come from all women are seen as peasant prostitutes by "men" of you ilk.

If he had stood up he would more than likely only got half way before the bottle the youngster was holding was smashed over his head.

Archived