I am out of options for staying 1 year in Thailand :(

I was planning to move to Thailand this year but it looks like there are lots of roadblocks and I almost got a headeche.

Actually I plan to live there with my Thai girlfriend while i run my online business(Please dont tell me its illegal, i have already done my research about that) and travel around a bit too but my country(India) comes under the slot wherein i can only stay maximum 60 days(Cant even apply for extension of 30 days). So what are my options? Initially I had planned to stay for 3 months in Thailand and 1 month in my home country but that plan seems to make no sense now.

Tourist Visa:

Again like i mentioned about, i dont want the hassle to get out of the country every 2 months and its expensive as well. I could try for METV but then, i am not sure if I have to visit my own country every 60 days or if I can get out to Laos and come back in and get extension? Nobody is giving me an answer to this as Embassy gives the usual shittalk saying "You have to apply first"...i mean <deleted>?

Business Visa

I wanted to try for Business Visa but the capital they are asking for is almost 2 million baht which is huge for the type of business i want to run(its type of web design business for offline clients). Isn't there an exceptions for small business types like these?

Education Visa

I was thinking about this but then 50k baht to learn Thai language is a bit too much and i will have to go to class too for which I am not that keen.

Employment Visa:

No chance as i dont want to work for anyone else there. Was thinking to pay some agent to give me work permit but i guess that comes under grey area so i would like to stay away from it

Marraige Visa

Oh, no. Not yet please

So guys I am very much confused on how to proceed with this. What should be done to maximize my stay in Thailand?

Sorry you have discovered there is no way in which you can achieve your ambition.

There are no options other than those you have identified and rejected.

There is no "employment visa" and attempting to obtain a work permit from an 'agent' would be very unwise.

There are no 'exceptions' for small businesses and your business would not be viable unless you (in addition to the Capital requirements) were prepared to offer employment to four Thai people.

• Like 1

Thailand elite visa.

500 k Thai Baht.

Easy.

Not helpful seeing as the OP has indicated that 50K is "too much" !

Then he has no reason to attempt to stay long term in Thailand if he can not afford to do so legally.

Especially since if he was going to try and do it on tourist visas he would likely have to spend a fair amount of money during the year to stay legally. 50K over the year factored into other expenses is not that much, if you really cannot afford it then Thailand as it is now really would not be interested in you as a tourist since you won't add much to the economy.....

Thailand elite visa.

500 k Thai Baht.

Easy.

The OP said 50k baht to learn Thai language is a bit too much. While probably not likely, that doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't pay 50k for something else, especially if it is the only way to stay in the country long term.

You don't fit the profile of someone expected to stay in Thailand long term. Your only real choice for now is Tourist Visas. Whether you use SETV's or a METV you will need to exit the country every 60 days and can go to a neighbouring country.

If you don't qualify for the METV you will have to arrive with a SETV and get a new visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a neighbouring country every 60 days. There is currently no limit on the total number of SETV's you can have but individual Embassies/Consulates do have limits. You should expect to be limited to 2/3 from any one location. You should be able to eke out at least 1 year on SETV's. Once you have established yourself in Thailand other options might open up.

The OP is from India. He can only get visas there.

• Like 1

This is pretty straight forward.

METV. Go to your home country and apply.

As other posters indicated, you will have to leave after 60 days, or get a 30 day extension at a immigration office near you for the standard 1900 baht.

Then you will have to leave before that expires.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. I thought hard and I could come into conclusion that I can only get the METV and exit the country every 60 days but if I exit the country, do i just get extra 30 days or I get to stay another 60 days? I am not sure how it works. Just so you know I am from India so I am still unsure whether we are allowed to hop the border in METV. I am pretty sure we are not allowed to hop the border with SETV

OR

Another option is to get an education Visa. I guess I can afford to pay that but after researching a bit I saw that i will need to study atleast 4 times a week and 2 hours per day. Some schools are saying I have to study 3 hours per day, 5 days a week. Prices are around 30k baht for 1 year which is fine to me. Just that i am unsure about committing myself to study every single day..ugghh

and no I can't afford Elite visa.

Thanks for the replies. I thought hard and I could come into conclusion that I can only get the METV and exit the country every 60 days but if I exit the country, do i just get extra 30 days or I get to stay another 60 days? I am not sure how it works. Just so you know I am from India so I am still unsure whether we are allowed to hop the border in METV. I am pretty sure we are not allowed to hop the border with SETV

OR

Another option is to get an education Visa. I guess I can afford to pay that but after researching a bit I saw that i will need to study atleast 4 times a week and 2 hours per day. Some schools are saying I have to study 3 hours per day, 5 days a week. Prices are around 30k baht for 1 year which is fine to me. Just that i am unsure about committing myself to study every single day..ugghh

The METV wil allow a 60 day entry by land or air. A SETV only allows one 60 day entry after that you could only get a 15 day visa on arrival that costs 1000 baht.

To get a ED visa and 90 day extensions that will allow a total stay of one year you must be enrolled in a 400 hour course of study. That is normally 8 hours a week by attending classes 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

OR

The METV wil allow a 60 day entry by land or air. A SETV only allows one 60 day entry after that you could only get a 15 day visa on arrival that costs 1000 baht.

To get a ED visa and 90 day extensions that will allow a total stay of one year you must be enrolled in a 400 hour course of study. That is normally 8 hours a week by attending classes 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

What if I have plans to visit my country 3 months a year out of 12? I will miss around 90 hours i believe? Will that be a problem in getting extension?

I would really need some flexibility in the ED visa

OR

What if I have plans to visit my country 3 months a year out of 12? I will miss around 90 hours i believe? Will that be a problem in getting extension?

If you leave for 3 months/year any 90 day extension of stay will expire and you will have to begin again with a new visa.

OR

How many days at time do you plan on staying.

just back from jomtien immigration. the shop beside the office where the philipinos work have a big sign on the wall saying education visas for 16 900thb. seems like a good deal.

How many hours of study is that. Four hundred are needed to get a total stay of a year.

• Like 1

just back from jomtien immigration. the shop beside the office where the philipinos work have a big sign on the wall saying education visas for 16 900thb. seems like a good deal.

How many hours of study is that. Four hundred are needed to get a total stay of a year.

no idea. just saw a large sign on the wall. seemed pretty cheap and was saying it is done by immigration, not an agency. i have a non 0 so i didnt bother asking about it. maybe someone else here knows.

OR

Most people don't actually go and study every day. Some only once a week. Some less than that. Just ensure you practice when you can at home.

Edited by mesterm

Thailand elite visa.

500 k Thai Baht.

Easy.

Then he has no reason to attempt to stay long term in Thailand if he can not afford to do so legally.

Especially since if he was going to try and do it on tourist visas he would likely have to spend a fair amount of money during the year to stay legally. 50K over the year factored into other expenses is not that much, if you really cannot afford it then Thailand as it is now really would not be interested in you as a tourist since you won't add much to the economy.....

Tourist visas will be tough. Many consulates won't issue a TR visa to an Indian unless they are resident in that country. Vientiane wont do it.

OR

Most people don't actually go and study every day. Some only once a week. Some only once a month. Just ensure you practice when you can at home.

That is misleading information.

Immigration expect to see attendance records which relate to the program offered by the school. Once a week/ once a month attendance would likely result in an extension of stay being refused.

If the school is charging 16,900 I doubt they could afford the manpower for rent and teachers

I went to a school years ago, hundreds of people registered and 1 classroom, tiny with 15-20 plastic stools lol

I doubt they're allowed to operate like that anymore though

That school survived by envelopes and we paid more than 16,900 even back then....