Music world in shock as Prince dies suddenly aged 57

webfact

Then it would just be a pointless love in 'he was so great', and not a discussion, which his fans seem incapable of though, Those who though he was less than good have feeling as well and have a right to be heard without being abused and ridiculed.

And you are using the thread announcing his death to spread that message because why?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are still waiting for your (transams) argument and evidence of how and why Prince was a genius, many genius level people die with nothing in the bank so money is not an indication of genius, only of success. Do try to answer without personal attacks and emotional tantrums,thank you.

People have mentioned many times, but you chose to ignore them.

Any fool can post links and other peoples predictable praise pieces, what I was rather hoping for were some original thoughts, but rather like the music in question that' was asking a bit much

So after 10 pages you clarify what you mean.

We are still waiting for your (transams) argument and evidence of how and why Prince was a genius, many genius level people die with nothing in the bank so money is not an indication of genius, only of success. Do try to answer without personal attacks and emotional tantrums,thank you.

Any fool can post links and other peoples predictable praise pieces, what I was rather hoping for were some original thoughts, but rather like the music in question that' was asking a bit much

You don't want our opinions, and you don't want any one else's opinion either and clearly you don't want links. I wonder sort of evidence you would accept.

And just what are your qualifications for judging musical genius? And who in the music industry agrees with you?

And people have, but you are still ignoring them:

1. The amount of musical instruments he played.

2. His technical ability on those instruments.

3. The ability to perform many genres acceptionally - R'NB, Pop, Rock, Funk, Jazz, Blues.

4. Ability to experiment with new creative ways, way above its time.

5. Write timeless songs.

6. The amount of output he produced.

7. He could write, play, sing and produce his own stuff.

8. He was an excellent performer.

You really need to learn how to listen to others. I think people are going to take the opinions over fellow musicians over some farang who seems to be too self-absorbed.

Prince's obit in his hometown Minneapolis newspaper said:

Prince formed his first band with friends at age 13 and over time became the driving force behind the “Minneapolis sound,”

a hybrid mix of funk, rock, pop and new wave. http://www.startribune.com/authorities-investigating-death-at-prince-s-paisley-park/376578441/

I didn't even know that there was a "Minneapolis sound", but that's just me.

3. The ability to perform many genres acceptionally - R'NB, Pop, Rock, Funk, Jazz, Blues.

5. Write timeless songs.

You really need to learn how to listen to others. I think people are going to take the opinions over fellow musicians over some farang who seems to be too self-absorbed.

All debatable TALENT, many do the same but that's NOT genius, look the word up.

5. Write timeless songs.

All debatable TALENT, many do the same but that's NOT genius, look the word up.

"Genius refers to a person, a body of work, or a singular achievement which stands apart in excellence. More than just originality, creativity, or intelligence, genius is associated with achievement of insight which has transformational power. A work of genius fundamentally alters expectations in some field or endeavour, with examples ranging from sports or statesmanship to science and art.

Although difficult to quantify, genius refers to a level of aptitude, capability or achievement which exceeds even that of most other exceptional contemporaries in the same field. The normal distribution suggests that the term might be applied to phenomena ranked in the top .1% (three standard deviations) among peers. In psychology, the inventor of the first IQ tests, Alfred Binet, applied the term, to the top .1% of those tested. This usage of the term is closely related to the general concept of intelligence.

The term may be also applied to someone who is considered gifted in many subjects or in one subject."

By this definition it is conclusive that Prince was a music genius.

If he was such a genius, why is his music so dire? Okay, that's my own opinion, but why are there not more top-notch albums (like Bowie put out), or more famous lyrics (like Dylan puts out), or even more famous songs (like virtually anyone puts out)? His music is smothered by 80s-era electronic beat, which is apparently designed to cover his undistinctive voice. He's all showmanship and not much music.

He could play a lot of instruments, true, but so could Roy Castle. I'm sure he is a really talented guy, and on any TV talent show would stand out on account of his energy and outrageous persona. But not a genius, please.

Actually, Prince was a talented musician, but when you compare his entire catalog with the entire catalog of REAL geniuses, his pales in comparison. Compare him with the Beatles, the Stones or Bob Dylan and he certainly measures up as second rate. ​He was an accomplished musician, but no "genius". Calling him that insults the true rock greats. Calling him that abuses the term.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Actually, Prince was a talented musician, but when you compare his entire catalog with the entire catalog of REAL geniuses, his pales in comparison. Compare him with the Beatles, the Stones or Bob Dylan and he certainly measures up as second rate. ​He was an accomplished musician, but no "genius". Calling him that abuses the term.

I totally disagree.

Well at least he had a dignified send off, unlike the Jackson circus and giving out mementos to fans was a touch of class I thought. Now expect to see the fight over the money and the material he left behind He was no fool though so his will might interesting when it comes out.

Actually, Prince was a talented musician, but when you compare his entire catalog with the entire catalog of REAL geniuses, his pales in comparison. Compare him with the Beatles, the Stones or Bob Dylan and he certainly measures up as second rate. ​He was an accomplished musician, but no "genius". Calling him that insults the true rock greats. Calling him that abuses the term.

Yesterday you were saying he was a second rate musician now you are calling him accomplished. Many musical great are calling him a genius. Some nobody on Thai visa says he is not. I wonder who actually knows what they are on about.

So you don't want to read thoughts of world famous music icons regarding Prince, why is that....?

Couple of you are slagging off an icon to many, yet Prince through his music is worth about $100,000,000 via folk BUYING his music.

Now I read posters going down the "junky" route, what on earth has that got to do with his music.....? His life, he can do what he wants, in fact many of our musical icons have dabbled in stuff, so what..

The bottom line is a few of you envy a guy that became an icon where you can only spit venom....Very sad indeed..

Elton John's thoughts hold no interest for me, nor his strange lifestyle and court actions to keep his life out of the papers. Nobody has claimed prince was a Junkie, Junkies jack up, Prince was a user of pills and patches for decades. Envy, spiting venom? not a lot to envy, and asking for proof of claimed genius is hardly venomous surely?

That's a bit ironic, but your condescending BS hold no interest for anyone!

Oh yeah and the Thai- music stars are soooooo damn great...oh wait...didn't Sek Loso have a drug problem?

Is he not Thai, not a musician?

Man, people like you really pi$$ me off!

Again my question: what are you doing here?

You have no interest in Prince or his music, you clearly are not affected by his death, other than gloatingly mocking people who see his talent (and genius), so why don't you just #@$% off and have a nice afternoon, listen to some world- changing Look Tung?!

You -for sure- will not be missed!

Troll!

Temper temper, do try to calm down and discuss things logically without the emotions rushing in. Nobody has gloated, no poster hates or has mocked the man, OK I had one little joke, so why claim this? I think there is a goldmine for an academic here when it comes to the way fans identify with, and are so defensive and offended at any who disagree with their hero worshiping views, I find it fascinating. When it comes to Thailand as I have said they have a far more healthy view of their stars and don't hero worship them and treat them like gods, and in return they don't end up like Jackson, Amy what's her name, Hendrix, Morrison, Elvis and all the others too many to mention or now Prince.

Your attitude and comments are off the wall and totally disrespectful. And now on top of all that you are saying he died of a drug overdose. What in the hedoubleL is wrong with you?

Its about time to report you as a complete troll. If you dont have anything nice to say, time to just keep quiet.

That's 260 posts in a thread celebrating the memory of an artist, about 130 of those posts are from somebody who did not like his music.

Please don't bother us with your opinion here but start your own thread why you don't like the guy.

The Beatles:

Paul McCartney
Saddened by Prince's death. Proud to have seen in the New Year with him. He seemed fine and played brilliantly funky music.
God bless this creative giant. Thanks Prince. Love X Paul
Ringo Starr:
“God bless Prince we will all miss him I still have my Purple whistle. I will blow it tonight peace and love.”
The Stones:
Mick Jagger
I am so saddened to hear of Prince's passing. Prince was a revolutionary artist, a wonderful musician and composer. 1/3
Prince was an original lyricist and a startling guitar player. His talent was limitless. 2/3
Prince was one of the most unique and exciting artists of the last 30 years. 3/3
Ronnie Wood
"I will miss a good friend who was so talented. He was such a great performer / guitar player. Sleep well Prince".
How nice of these REAL geniuses to mix with a second rater.
One other that caught the eye:
"I never met Mozart, I never met Duke Ellington or Charlie Parker I never met Elvis But I met Prince" - Bono

*Deleted post edited out*

As for Clapton he was always a second rate guitarist ......

Second rate guitarist? For that comment alone, you deserve to be reported to the mods facepalm.gif

I wouldn't go so far as to call Prince a genius. The word "genius" is vastly overused nowadays and its meaning has been degraded because of it. For me, Prince was a gifted musical artist, and the legacy of his music will live on, whether you like it or not.

And Prince was an ace guitarist too. Up there with the best - Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Peter Green, Jeff Beck et al.

RIP Prince, and thanks for the memories.

It is pretty common in the music world. The Beatles and the Stones said the same thing about him that I did, he was a very talented musician. Nary a word about "genius."

As for Bono, IMO, he is a great musician/activist, who has made millions of dollars, but he is no genius either. Sometimes it has to be enough to just be really good.

Of course he was one of the greatest artists of our generation , people who do not understand that , well they are not into music at all I guess.

What defines a true artist ? Someone that can create their own music from start , playing all the instruments , sing , record it, and do amazing stage shows . Prince was all that . I just watched a documentary about Prince on BBC . He lived all his life in Minneapolis and never let his fans down . He was influenced by different styles , from jazz, funk, blues . pop , rock and made some very original songs . Rest in purple.

It is pretty common in the music world. The Beatles and the Stones said the same thing about him that I did, he was a very talented musician. Nary a word about "genius."

As for Bono, IMO, he is a great musician/activist, who has made millions of dollars, but he is no genius either. Sometimes it has to be enough to just be really good.

So it seems that your argument revolves around using statements from people who did not call him a genius as proof for your argument but completely ignoring statements from musical greats who did call him a genius.

As for Bono I would not call him a genius but I would also say that Prince was in a league way above Bono and U2.

Anyway isn't it time to stop all this bickering. If a musician dies who didn't play the sort of music I like I would show enough class not to come onto a thread about their death and make all these comments about calling them overrated or a second rate musician. Shame some people can not do that. This last post refers more to other posters than yourself Ulysses.

Edited by Throatwobbler

I would not call Bono a genius but I would also say that Prince was in a league way above Bono and U2.

I don't agree with you on that either. Looking at their entire catalogs, I would place U2 above Prince. IMO,"Boy" would be about the equivalent of "Purple Rain" quality-wise and, for me, those are pretty much both bands best efforts.

Prince has some singles that are just as good, but no other albums. U2 has numerous LPs AND singles that are just as good or better than "Boy".

I would maybe consider Prince a genius if he had 5 LPs - or more - as good as "Purple Rain", but he doesn't. The Beatles, the Stones and Bob Dylan have at least that much top material.

I would not call Bono a genius but I would also say that Prince was in a league way above Bono and U2.

I don't agree with you on that either. Looking at their entire catalogs, I would place U2 above Prince. IMO,"Boy" would be about the equivalent of "Purple Rain" quality-wise and, for me, those are pretty much both bands best efforts.

Prince has some singles that are just as good, but no other albums. U2 has numerous LPs AND singles that are just as good or better than "Boy".

I would maybe consider Prince a genius if he had 5 LPs - or more - as good as "Purple Rain", but he doesn't. The Beatles, the Stones and Bob Dylan have at least that much top material.

I would disagree -respectfully!

I am a die-hard- U2- fan (although I think, their last 2 albums were abysmal!), saw them in concert 10 times and own every of their albums.

They are an exceptional rock- band and Bono is a top- songwriter and performer.

The Edge is an inspirational guitarist and the band as a whole is great!

But Prince: that was a whole different league!

1) "Sing o' the times" is a way better album than "Purple Rain", "1999" comes very close, "The Gold Experience", "Diamonds & Pearls" and "Controversy" are excellent pieces of work!

2) Maybe Prince would have a bunch more for you to offer, if he didn't have this clash with his record- company.

3) Search the internet for Prince- songs that were not "openly" available or even the stuff he did with 3rdeyegirl during the last 3 years.

Many of the mainstream- audience only know the part of his work, that was available during the 80's and 90's- but his creative output during the years he was "off the radar" (Black Album!!!) was exceptional!

I totally get, if someone does not like his music!

I didn't like many of the Michael Jackson- songs...but I can admit, that Jackson was a great performer and had some really great songs under his belt!

We should leave it at that: some of us are grieving the loss of a great musician and some don't!

...and that is fine!