Rogue Bangkok taxi driver filmed fleecing Thai woman and foreign husband

webfact

For once, the action taken against the driver are proportionate and meaningful.

I hope more of these scumbags will get the same treatment, including the training course... hopefully in a military camp.

another thing about this story is that posting such stuff online does work better than to complain anywhere

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boldness of [attempting to rip off customers] is what is so brazen.

How much would the metered rate have been?

What if a thai person was not there?

200-300 baht I guess

Around 350 baht. It is the Four Wings Hotel at Sri Nakarin road. This is not Bangkok CBD. Anyway 900baht :)

Welcome to Thailand Mister Feldmann wai2.gif

No, he told them 900 baht at the airport. She agreed. Then when she got there, she changed her mind and said she will only pay 500 or call the police.

Usually passengers must wait downstairs and cue for taxi. Those taxis are always on the meter.

But some like to jump the cue and go upstairs to arrivals and negotiate with the taxi by themselves. The passenger enters a verbal agreement, or decline and get another taxi.

She jumped the cue, and reneged on her agreement. As she admitted in the video. We as customers do not have to get in an unmetered taxi. We can get another. It's his taxi, he can negotiate what he wants. Negotiated taxis are all over the world. It's no different from negotiating a tuk tuk.

She did not keep her agreement and should be arrested.

Wrong.... he has to use his Taxi Meter. Taxis are officially not allowed to refuse a customer. Hell, you don't even have to ask anything before you enter the taxi. Just get inside and tell where you want to go.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

No, he told them 900 baht at the airport. She agreed. Then when she got there, she changed her mind and said she will only pay 500 or call the police.

Usually passengers must wait downstairs and cue for taxi. Those taxis are always on the meter.

But some like to jump the cue and go upstairs to arrivals and negotiate with the taxi by themselves. The passenger enters a verbal agreement, or decline and get another taxi.

She jumped the cue, and reneged on her agreement. As she admitted in the video. We as customers do not have to get in an unmetered taxi. We can get another. It's his taxi, he can negotiate what he wants. Negotiated taxis are all over the world. It's no different from negotiating a tuk tuk.

He can't negotiate anything. He has a metered taxi and has to use the meter

I know of a Thai teacher and her farang boyfriend who hailed a taxi from the side of the road. Once they got in, the Thai woman told the taxi driver where she wanted to go. Perhaps not realising that she and the farang were together, the taxi driver asked her (in Thai), "And where is the white pig going?" Unfortunately for the taxi driver, the "white pig" was fluent in Thai and gave the taxi driver a piece of his mind!

Thailand used to be my favourite destination and was once my home. I tired of all this type of nonsense long ago. When I visit now I pay B1200 for a limo into town, none of this sort of unpleasantness. The way he kept advancing aggressively to the young lady, they should have given him a lifetime ban at evidence alone.

To the potential critics - no I'm not wealthy and don't have money to burn, however an uneventful journey is worth the money. When I think of all the money I spent on 'entertainment' in my younger years, B1200 is a pittance by comparison.

All that said, as always, one man's meat.......

Their is a limo service from DM to Sukhumvit for 700 Baht and you pay the 120 Baht tanduan fees.

Limo service cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You mean Toyota Camry if you are lucky

I don't think that is what happened. From the audio it seems that the driver announced the THB900 fare once they were already underway. The woman says that she agreed because she was afraid of him. Understandable, judging from the guys behaviour in the video.

Personally I have some sympathy for the plight of BKK taxi drivers and I always pay over the meter price, at least by a hundred on an airport run. However once in a while I have come across an aggressive nutter like this guy. Can well be amphetamines involved too. I think the couple probably did the right thing.

In this case, at the safety of the hotel the driver is lucky he got a single Baht. Let him be the one to call the police.

In the next few days a truly wonderful, uniformed-wearing, honest and humble taxi driver will hand in 3 billion dollars that had been left in his taxi by a flight-weary visitor arriving at one of the international airports . . . . . . the powers-that-be are just washing and ironing said uniform and preparing for a photo shoot. Won't be long wink.png

Don't be ridiculous. The taxi driver broke the law. He should be arrested.

As everyone knows, for every incident that makes it onto social media, followed by token fine and bad publicity, there are hundreds of similar stories every week that go unreported, unnoticed. The scam works and flourishes because the vast majority of those who engage in it get away with it: and by that I mean the 5 or 10% serial offenders rather than the majority of honest drivers.

These days I very rarely take a cab: I use a car service (SP @950) or the BTS/Airport link @20+45. Most tourists either don't have those options or are unaware of them.

2000 baht fine, yup, that will sure stop him. And today he will be back driving, suspended license or not.

This driver is a danger to everyone around him and should not be allowed to work in any job that has direct contact with the public.

Nice 2 see that social media helped out and secured an arrest.

Not sure if he is really going to stay home for the next 3 months.

He should never be close to a taxi again, his permit revoked for life also as a deterrent for his taxi buddies.

Thought that the Army was serious about this issue after several articles here on TV announcing 'crackdowns' on bkk taxis fleecing customers.

Edited by luckyman

Maybe he was worried about the sword (or gun) under jai yen taxi man's seat.

What is a jai yen taxi man?

A "farung" is a foreigner

"tanduan fees" are fees you pay for using the expressway

"jai yen taxi man" is a calm taxi driver

Police should have made him return to the hotel and give back the 500 and an apology as his meter wasn't on....so no fare applies. The only way to stop this conduct is hit them heavy and hard in the pocket on every reported occasion...try minimum 10,000 Baht fine and license revoked for 1 year. Wouldn't have to do that too many times before the word quickly spread among these vermin and attitudes changed.

I can't believe the farang didn't knock the driver in the head.

Just as well Bubba you weren't the foreigner.

Otherwise you'd be writing from hospital.

Yeh...well thought out !

Unlikely if he moved towards my wife like that he would be either dead or seriously injured in the hospital.

200-300 baht I guess

Around 350 baht. It is the Four Wings Hotel at Sri Nakarin road. This is not Bangkok CBD. Anyway 900baht smile.png

255 THB for 34.1km (determined using Google Maps directions) with no traffic based on the new rates. With 10min of slow traffic it would be 275 THB.

Here is the new official guide sheet based on the new rates which everyone should save for future reference:

IMG_9740-725708.JPG

200-300 baht I guess

Around 350 baht. It is the Four Wings Hotel at Sri Nakarin road. This is not Bangkok CBD. Anyway 900baht smile.png

255 THB for 34.1km (determined using Google Maps directions) with no traffic based on the new rates. With 10min of slow traffic it would be 275 THB.

Here is the new official guide sheet based on the new rates which everyone should save for future reference:

IMG_9740-725708.JPG

Does that include the 50 baht airport pickup surcharge?

I use an app called Grab taxi, easy to use and can input the destination to see the route/price (good if you cant pronounce it correctly). You also have the option to pick with driver and see stats. Saves running into characters like this.

Edited by SkyNets

like the one i got from Mor chit,soon as we got out the gate,he messed around with his meter then told me "hak laeow',but he agreed on a fair price to Sukmvit 200 baht,so that was okay

Fair price from Mo Chit to Sukhumvit (11km) with 5min in slow traffic is 101 THB.