PM Prayut calls for crack down on taxis going off-meter

webfact

Another crackdown on the exploits of the taxi business will probably not help.

The mob running taxi's is too strong.

Too many criminally inclined figures are populating this and many other businesses.

You might say the figures that use "squeeze" as a way of doing business.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a quaint little country where the PM needs to be involved in taxi fares.

And lewd and lascivious dancing at motor shows.

A just wait until he turns the TV on one night to see the skin being shown there on many channels....it's going to be a shock.

The last year we have heard that cracking down on Taxi's about 5 times...

Still waiting for actions....

coffee1.gif

There have been at least that many this year!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=12e64725059d5d6feed2bff823b8708d&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=taxi%20crackdown

Edited by jamesbrock

Again? What number is this one?

When is the PM going to get serious / dismiss some senior officials of the several agencies involved who are in reality doing nothing about this problem?

Birds of a feather are in a flock together. PM bravo another heroic crackdown. No doubt one of these days you will tackle some really serious issues head on.

It takes two to tango. If the passengers don't report the offending taxi drivers, the Department of Land Transportation won't know about it and can't sanction the drivers.

Oh, I thought it was all about taxi drivers acting professionally and following the law! facepalm.gif

It takes two to tango. If the passengers don't report the offending taxi drivers, the Department of Land Transportation won't know about it and can't sanction the drivers.

Here's some advice I gave to everyone on the other thread:

Use this app every time you catch a taxi cab in Bangkok: DLT Check in . You can take a photo of the taxi license (under the window) and the app sends it to Department of Land Transport.

You can show the driver that you are using the app if he tries anything improper.

I may be wrong, but if the taxi drivers would not continually decline passengers transportation, the drivers probably would make more money and would not feel that they have to go off meter.

Many times I'm denied by drivers going in the same direction on Sukumvit to the next or second BTS station and that never made sense to me when I spoke in their language! One night I had 6 drivers in a row deny me transportation on Sukumvit after they stopped.

I like the Grab Taxi Application, but that too can be frustrating when no taxis are available.

There's this really brilliant Art installation at Chiang Mai Airport.

Hundreds of Taxis, just sitting there... they look like real taxis, except they never actually leave the airport!

They even have these guys who look like real taxi drivers, to sit around nearby and guard them or something.

Sometimes they might venture out to get the guards noodles, or go to a car wash.

Rumour has it they do sometimes do tourists a huge favour

and take them to and from an expensive hotel, but that's rare, apparently.

It's the pride of the Thai avant garde art scene, and you should fly up to see it sometime!

Yea, yea.

First offence, 3 month suspension and huge fine for the driver AND the car owner.

Second offence, 3 months in jail, car confiscated, even if it is a rental. Banned from driving a taxi for life.

If caught a third time, car gone, 3 years in prison for driver, 1 year in prison for car owner.

If Thailand had real police, they could do this. But they don't, so on and on it goes.