How Old is Too Old?

Philip550

If you are married 'and not in an open relationship' i think you need to consider what the benefits of coming to Thailand really are. If you are from the UK i would have thought that there were much better alternatives within the EU without any Visa hassles. The climate here can be unbearably hot and that can take its toll, a lot of the country is also dirty and overall quite dangerous.

I am single and have loads of freedom. I really enjoy my easy going lifestyle here including how easy it is to meet new friends (either from the bar scene or activities such as cycling / walking). However even in my current (single) position i doubt that i will choose to live here permanently, maybe 6 months per year in total. If i was in a committed relationship (whether 55, 65 or 75) there is no way i would choose to live in Thailand.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow lots of good food for thought thanks a bunch for your suggestions. I guess the year trial period is the way I need to go. My wife is an incredible woman, a true go with the flow person. As far as money goes our monthly is approx 290,000 a month but I don't have a big sum of cash in savings so good insurance is a must if I can get it at 65 Regarding as you say "grow a pair" i guess your right and I just need to jump in and go for it. Thanks again

Why don't you both commit for 12 month visit - either rent you home out or just lock up and leave.

Try living for minimum of 3 months in say Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, phuket and Bangkok or other locations that take your fancy - you can rent an apartment fairly cheaply - dont rush into any long term leases shop around first.

That way you will both get a feel for retirement in Thailand and see if its for you.

If 12 months is not long enough come back for another 12 months.

Like others have said don't come over with no insurance - if shorter term you can rely upon travel insurance if you purchase before you leave home but if permanent then you will need to take out Health insurance.

My personal recommendation is don't sell up lock stock and barrel, keep your connections with your home country - rent your home out rather than sell

Good Luck

Of course you have doubts, most people would, but do not be blinded by the illusion of 'Holidays with the Boys'

making a permanent move needs careful consideration, and you need to be prepared.

A piece of paper as suggested serves a good place to visualise all the possible issues:

Money, Healthcare, selling up, starting again, rent or buy, where to locate, what does the wife think, what about the family, what to do with the dog, what are you going to fill your days with, state pension not inflation linked ( it will shrink over time because of inflation )driving, buying a car, or that Harley you always wanted, finding new friends, finding an area you want to live in, sorting out visas, the list goes on

The statement

My wife will go

is ambiguous....... Whatever.

Here is my simple seven step "don't think" process.

1. Book a flight today.

2. Pack one suitcase today.

3. Take flight

4. Put 800,000 in a Thai bank account.

5. Go to immigration and apply for retirement visa (you have two weeks to do this)

7. Have a beer, sit back.

Job done.

Everything else falls into place.

If you don't do it, you will always wonder if it could have worked out and you will die a disappointed man.

Just do it.

Hello Phil,

This is a little strange as it is one Phil to another Phil LOL I came and eventually settled in Chiangmai in about 1991 and in the main have had no regrets!now spend time about 6 months about in Thailand and the Philippines. The main reason is that the pollution in Cm especially this year has been oppressive.

In the Philippines the air is clean and virtually free from pollution.

I think next year I shall not return until about May when hopefully pollution has eased. Well in reply to you if you are fit and in good health living in Thailand can be a great. I understand you are not looking for the night life which I understand as it soon pales on you. I have always rented but last year bought a Condo which so far no regrets.You can live quite comfortable on a good Pension in Thailand although the recent changes in visa attitudes by the Thai's is not making things easy! Food is nice and cheap, and even now at 76 have no problem driving here, the car is insured not the person; in the UK now getting insurance can be expensive. You don't have to burn your bridges with the UK or your Country of origin. Rent a nice house and come for at least 6/12 months and see if you settle.

Life can start at 60 if you wish, Regards Phil

wow lots of good food for thought thanks a bunch for your suggestions. I guess the year trial period is the way I need to go. My wife is an incredible woman, a true go with the flow person. As far as money goes our monthly is approx 290,000 a month but I don't have a big sum of cash in savings so good insurance is a must if I can get it at 65 Regarding as you say "grow a pair" i guess your right and I just need to jump in and go for it. Thanks again

With that sort of income you will be absolutely fine just dont tell, anyone your income, rent dont buy, dont expect too much from Thailand, personally i can think of better places to retire or spend time.

Whats the bet the falang wife is the biggest source of expenditure

I think OP needs to understand it wasn't being in Thailand that gave him the great time.

It was being without his wife that was great.

Has the OP said anything that leads you to conclude this or are you just exhibiting your own problems with women?..... again.

Sell nothing in the UK, come for six to twelve months, if all goes well if you need the cash sell up in the UK otherwise just continue staying with UK options not closed

al007 gives good advice.

The OP has visited Thailand many times, but has never lived in Thailand, it seems his wife has never been to Thailand either. \

So I agree with al007, take an extended break together in Thailand, October through March would be a good time to visit the areas the OP mentions.

Don't sell up at home, don't burn bridges.

There are lots of people, especially couples who spend the winter in Thailand and the summer in UK/Europe US etc. Its a very attractive prospect in you can afford to do it. Get the best of both places.

Regarding the grow-a-pair comment, you will find that many on here have more than the pair that is allotted to the average male of the species.

Edited by JLCrab

With that sort of income (pensions?), I'd be flitting between the West and Thailand. It's a great holiday destination but has a knack of wearing you down full time. 64 certainly isn't too old; you could hole up nicely in CM with the millions of other retirees giggle.gif (it isn't what it was in the 90s and noughties) and your wife would have access to good eating and shopping etc. The 12-month trial makes sense, what's to lose?

Edited by daveAustin

no such thing as too old, too young ,,, maybe

True dat.

one strange reply people always say : "Thailand is great if you have enough money".

Where is it great IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH money?

Inquiring minds would like to know ...

290,000 baht/month means you can live just about anywhere on the planet. I would recommend 3 - 6 months in Thailand, and 3-6 months in Vietnam. Danang and Dalat both good in their own ways - Danang for beaches, Dalat for climate. Better infrastructure in Thailand.

I'm 72, living in Chiang Mai for 7 years now. Wish I had come earlier.

When this kind of Q pops up, I always recommend a "trial," as mentioned by NancyL, but I recommend at least six months of living where you think you might retire to. And living in an apartment, not a fancy hotel. Get used to the climate ("best" to come inthe hot season?), shopping, lack of many items you might be used to, transportation, travel, etc.

And, again as NancyL said, medical insurance is really important. Would your present plan cover both you and your wife over here?

Mac

Yes. Don't sell property or cut links at home or otherwise burn bridges. Give yourself 6 months to a year living here as a resident, not a tourist, which should help you decide whether or not you feel good about life here in general and wherever you chose to live in particular.

I've never had any serious doubts about my decision. Bought my condo nearly 15 years ago and have lived here full-time almost 10 years. That said, if you read through many threads on TV, there are others who are clearly unhappy about the choice they made. The problem isn't Thailand or the Thai people (despite all the finger-pointing and blame shifting so popular in the moaning threads). Thailand is what it is and Thais are who they are. The problem, if there is one, is within the unhappy individuals.

Retirement is often equated to other major life events like a death in the family or divorce, etc in terms of emotional impact. If you add in a move from a place you've lived for many years and a separation from friends & family etc. to a place that may seem completely alien to you, for some people that may be too much to deal with whether the move is to Thailand or anywhere else.

Since you clearly have reservations, don't make the leap without giving it a trial run. It's not really a question of how old you are. Many young people react badly to change and some fairly ancient people, myself included, embrace it ... although I have to admit I feel quite comfortable in Thailand now so I'd probably resist changing that.

Edited by Suradit69

For and against.

If financially okay, good.

If have friends/family to chat to, good.

If like the quiet life in the country, good.

If have someone who will look after you when sick, good.

If can cope with 35 plus heat, good.

If don't mind the increasing ignorant, arrogant and impatient people, along with increasing crime levels, good.

If you don't mind the changes in laws and regulations, good.

Otherwise stay with the tourist visits.

I love parts of Thailand and a few Thais, though find communication and boredom a worry. Heading home.

For and against.

If financially okay, good.

If have friends/family to chat to, good.

If like the quiet life in the country, good.

If have someone who will look after you when sick, good.

If can cope with 35 plus heat, good.

If don't mind the increasing ignorant, arrogant and impatient people, along with increasing crime levels, good.

If you don't mind the changes in laws and regulations, good.

I love parts of Thailand and a few Thais, though find communication and boredom a worry. Heading home.

290,000 baht/month means you can live just about anywhere on the planet. I would recommend 3 - 6 months in Thailand, and 3-6 months in Vietnam. Danang and Dalat both good in their own ways - Danang for beaches, Dalat for climate. Better infrastructure in Thailand.

I'm 72, living in Chiang Mai for 7 years now. Wish I had come earlier.

In Vietnam

1. there is a very limited expat scene. In Dalat there is the backpacker street sad.png , in Danang about three foreign aimed bars, which were boring and empty when I visitedsad.png .

2. you will go insane with the continuous noise of vehicle horns.

3. food is cr4p.

4. nobody speaks any English.

5. opening bank accounts, buying vehicles is all way more tedious than Thailand.

6. they are always cheating on prices to the point that it simply becomes a constant chore going out to eat and buying stuff.

The problem isn't Thailand or the Thai people (despite all the finger-pointing and blame shifting so popular in the moaning threads). Thailand is what it is and Thais are who they are. The problem, if there is one, is within the unhappy individuals.

Speak for yourself, i like Thailand and i am a happy individual as well but the country has many issues and problems that it would be foolish to ignore when considering emigrating.

Philip...

Go for it...if you do not...you will sit around moping...wondering what might have been...

Do not burn all your bridges back home...you may find living in Thailand to be a bit vexing and decide to return...

Plan to enjoy your stay for however long in LOS...but have an exit plan if needed...

For and against.

1. If financially okay, good.

2. If have friends/family to chat to, good.

3. If like the quiet life in the country, good.

4. If have someone who will look after you when sick, good.

5. If can cope with 35 plus heat, good.

6. If don't mind the increasing ignorant, arrogant and impatient people, along with increasing crime levels, good.

7. If you don't mind the changes in laws and regulations, good.

For ease of response, I've numbered MRH1959's "for and against" points. I don't know where he is living his retirement, but I don't think it's in Chiang Mai.

1. I agee -- and it sounds like Philip's monthly income is just fine. He mentioned a lack of a nest-egg, but with that income, he could easily set aside 50,000 baht/month and build a good nest egg.

2. It's always nice to have friends/family to chat to, but Chiang Mai has so many English-speaking expats and expat activities that it's not a problem building a social life here. I've never had more friends in my life, and that includes in college when I lived in a sorority. I was too busy studying to do all the stuff you're suppose to do in college. At times, I feel like I'm back in college, only this time I'm having fun and don't have to get up early to go to classes.

3. You could live a quiet life in the country 10 - 15 minute drive from Chiang Mai, but you don't have to. The city is very vibrant and there are many activities where you don't even need a car or motorbike to get around and have a good life if you live in town.

4. Yes, it is good to have a life partner to look after you and serve as your advocate if you get sick.

5. They have great aircon in Thailand and many cities, including Chiang Mai, have some fantastic malls with great cinemas that show first-run movies for a fraction of the price of the west. I especially love it when a Hollywood blockbuster opens here a couple weeks before it does in the U.S. and we can see it for $3 in a plush, cool cinema.

6. There are ignorant people everywhere and I haven't noticed the crime increasing.

7. The regulations for retirement visas haven't changed in years, but they have become more strict with enforcement. No more bending of the rules or buying a visa from a corrupt immigration official. The rules regarding other types of visas have changed of late, but not retirement visas. In the past some people tried to stay here long-term by stringing together tourist visas back-to-back, but Philip is of an age and income level that he'll have no problem getting a retirement visa and should have little problem with the visa regulations.

Just come here for a year to see how you like it , things may change here in the next few years so better come now . You can always return back to your own country, if the need arises. Buy the time you get her settle in , organise visas ect a year will pass very fast.

If nothing about this place has inspired you to holiday here, Id say don't bother.

If it were not for being married to a Thai national, Id be elsewhere.

I realize many are easily amused, especially if it involves booze, women and reliving the youth they never had but Thailand's been done for decades.

Take a few holidays here then move to FL. Enjoy your Medicare and home that you actually own.

It's been 100+ for days and this relentless weather goes on for three months. Last cool season lasted a few weeks (90s).

What do you expect to do here at 65 that you can't do in the US? It's not like you're moving from another third country...

Grab your wife and two RTW tickets and thirty large and go see the world!

Edited by Rocketsurgeon