Why the incredible traffic congestion in Pattaya?

Asiantravel

It demonstrates that if he was driving in a motor vehicle rather than sitting outside on a two-wheeled contraption, he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch and not lying cold and stiff in the morgue somewhere. The point has been made that traffic congestion is a problem in Pattaya, which it is sometimes, and some chose a motorbike to get around easier/faster and my reply is that I'm willing to trade a little time for a much safer (and more comfortable) ride. Everyone has to make their own choice (and for many, their finances makes the choice for them).

Shame, you were doing so well up to then. facepalm.gif

You're not coming in loud and clear...I made the observation that many people, including some of my friends, can't afford to own and operate a car in Thailand. It is a neutral observation and true in many countries, and thus they are forced to rely on their own motos, moto taxis, or baht-buses. I would suggest the baht-buses as I can't even recall the last time a passenger in one was injured or killed in a road accident (I'm sure it's happened but very infrequently).

I know many people that choose not to have a car or pickup in pattaya.

they cant stand the traffic, parking issues and so on, its not about finance for them.

i would say most expats here can afford a new or used car / pick up if they wanted one.

some are just scared of the roads full stop and choose not to have a bike, car, pickup,

that's fine, as we all know, don't matter what you have on the road you can still be killed by the fools on the roads here but its a risk i am and many other are fine about.

Loud and clear now ? wai2.gif

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to go to Pooks Bar all the time in the evening on Bua Khow...car parking never a problem...often parked right in front. Also plenty of parking in nearby side sois. Also, one has to know the parking hacks...like free parking at Opey de Place hotel with purchase at Loaf Bakery...buy a muffin for tomorrows breakfast = "free" parking all nite.

Soi 7...park on Central Road or Tops market and walk over a block. Again, if you buy something in Tops two hours free parking. (I think Tops is still there but not been for a few months). Also often parking available on Second Road...no need to actually drive down congested soi 7 itself.

Pooks changed 'format' before the high season kicked off and TOPS @ Klang closed late last summer.

Where are you parking NOW?

I find there's decent parking on Third opposite the old Exite and up as far as Chayapoom, especially if you get there before the tour buses start buggering things up and the karaoke bars and local nightclubs start bunging stools or strategically placed motorbikes out front on the street. Easy stroll down Chaiyapoom declining the offer of massages from a sorry bunch of chunky and chronologically challenged ladies. Sink a few coldies at the 'Triangle' (gotta be the best beer special in the entire nation). Then hit the bling and zimmer scene around LK Metro until the meds wear off. Back up Lengkee for some snacks or 'one for the road'. Also great late parking at the south end of Buakhao in the market area. Stroll back up a wee bit and see what's remains palatable at the Belgian place near the end.

PS. Got the Opey de Place parking 'deal' once and admit that's very handy.

It demonstrates that if he was driving in a motor vehicle rather than sitting outside on a two-wheeled contraption, he would probably be alive right now enjoying his lunch and not lying cold and stiff in the morgue somewhere. The point has been made that traffic congestion is a problem in Pattaya, which it is sometimes, and some chose a motorbike to get around easier/faster and my reply is that I'm willing to trade a little time for a much safer (and more comfortable) ride. Everyone has to make their own choice (and for many, their finances makes the choice for them).

Shame, you were doing so well up to then. facepalm.gif

Why, he is correct.

Lighten up a bit.

No his not.

Everyone who has a car has a bike apart from the Pussies, but yes loads of them about on TV giggle.gif

Lighten up man wai2.gif

Well I have a car, but don't have a bike, guess I'm a Pussy!!

No his not.

Everyone who has a car has a bike apart from the Pussies, but yes loads of them about on TV giggle.gif

Lighten up man wai2.gif

Well I have a car, but don't have a bike, guess I'm a Pussy!!

Should have said most, but If the cap fits, stick it on thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Used to go to Pooks Bar all the time in the evening on Bua Khow...car parking never a problem...often parked right in front. Also plenty of parking in nearby side sois. Also, one has to know the parking hacks...like free parking at Opey de Place hotel with purchase at Loaf Bakery...buy a muffin for tomorrows breakfast = "free" parking all nite.

Soi 7...park on Central Road or Tops market and walk over a block. Again, if you buy something in Tops two hours free parking. (I think Tops is still there but not been for a few months). Also often parking available on Second Road...no need to actually drive down congested soi 7 itself.

Pooks changed 'format' before the high season kicked off and TOPS @ Klang closed late last summer.

Where are you parking NOW?

I find there's decent parking on Third opposite the old Exite and up as far as Chayapoom, especially if you get there before the tour buses start buggering things up and the karaoke bars and local nightclubs start bunging stools or strategically placed motorbikes out front on the street. Easy stroll down Chaiyapoom declining the offer of massages from a sorry bunch of chunky and chronologically challenged ladies. Sink a few coldies at the 'Triangle' (gotta be the best beer special in the entire nation). Then hit the bling and zimmer scene around LK Metro until the meds wear off. Back up Lengkee for some snacks or 'one for the road'. Also great late parking at the south end of Buakhao in the market area. Stroll back up a wee bit and see what's remains palatable at the Belgian place near the end.

PS. Got the Opey de Place parking 'deal' once and admit that's very handy.

I did say "used" to go to Pooks...the new format is of no use to me ? However, the parking spaces are still there. (Often space in front of the Findig store as they have a nice long street frontage and dont reserve it for their customers). For a long time there was the dirt lot next to and behind the Bangkok Bank branch opposite Pooks too but someone has now claimed it for a pay lot ? And I said I haven't been to Tops in awhile and I wasn't sure if it was still open as it seemed to be in the process of closing the last few times I was there. Nonetheless, the parking lot is still there so one can still park there, albiet without the validated parking.

I stand by my comments that there is often parking along Second Road (Eastern side) from soi Made In Thailand to the Isuzu dealership, at least at nite, as there are few business along that strip and it's almost one continuos stretch of parking.

Many other parking hacks around town too...like the free parking lot behind Tuk Com, never not found a place there and good for shopping or dining anywhere in South Pattaya. The same is true for the Central Beach and The Avenue lots...free and 5 hours free parking with purchase respectively. Always plenty of street parking on Naklua Road near Bon Cafe when dining in that area (also parking behind Bon Cafe). So I'm just not buying the argument there's any issue with parking in Pattaya.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

And I also noticed a significant increase in incidents involving drivers jumping red lights

in particular buses turning right towards jomtien at the corner of South Pattaya Road and second road.

I don't understand what you mean here? Turning right at red light would made you cut 2nd Rd where traffic come from Jomtien. It would be very dangerous and I never saw that happened. And not mentioning it would be done just in front of a police post!

Many other parking hacks around town too...like the free parking lot behind Tuk Com, never not found a place there

Do you mean this one ?

attachicon.gifIMG_20160429_113600 (Medium).jpg

closed off like this for more than a year now

attachicon.gifIMG_20160429_113714 (Medium).jpg

No, I was referring to the pink parking structure in the background. I haven't been in a few months but I assume it's still in operation and free. The lot you have pictured was another option but usually full; and as you say, I guess now closed.

And I also noticed a significant increase in incidents involving drivers jumping red lights

in particular buses turning right towards jomtien at the corner of South Pattaya Road and second road.

I don't understand what you mean here? Turning right at red light would made you cut 2nd Rd where traffic come from Jomtien. It would be very dangerous and I never saw that happened. And not mentioning it would be done just in front of a police post!

Yes indeed! And that is exactly what was happening every time I passed through that junction at the time I made my original post. Like I said each time I saw it happen everybody had revved up their engines and had actually set off so the buses that were swinging around to the right were running the red light by a long margin as the traffic going down second road had to come to a sudden stop.

But I had to have a little chuckle at your mention of the police post because quite honestly when has the presence of a police post made any difference to the behaviour of drivers in this city?giggle.gif

I can give you two other examples of where there are police posts and you can stand and watch the worst and most dangerous behaviour by drivers . Just stand on the corner of second road and Klang and just watch the number of buses and cars continuing down second road that run the red light even though there are sometimes many pedestrians waiting for that very brief opportunity to cross second road. But the guys in police post don’t do a thing other than occasionally stop motorbikes who have turned left into Klang on a red light heading towards the beach.But do nothing to assist the hordes of tourists that can't seem to work out when it's going to be safe to cross the road.

Another location is the corner of Klang and Third road and there you can easily see deplorable and very dangerous driving in full view of a police post as they very often pull out of the traffic and furiously drive down third road on the wrong side of the double yellow line to try to beat the right green arrow in the direction of the beach. the problem is that when there is an occasional vehicle coming in the opposite direction and who have right of way because they are on the correct side of the double yellow line have nowhere to pull in because the left lane is full of Issan bound buses that are parked in a long line.gigglem.gif

The police when they are there are far more interested in watching their small television set. blink.png

Absolutely useless and they may as well just not be there. coffee1.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Yes indeed! And that is exactly what was happening every time I passed through that junction at the time I made my original post. Like I said each time I saw it happen everybody had revved up their engines and had actually set off so the buses that were swinging around to the right were running the red light by a long margin as the traffic going down second road had to come to a sudden stop.

But I had to have a little chuckle at your mention of the police post because quite honestly when has the presence of a police post made any difference to the behaviour of drivers in this city?giggle.gif

I can give you two other examples of where there are police posts and you can stand and watch the worst and most dangerous behaviour by drivers . Just stand on the corner of second road and Klang and just watch the number of buses and cars continuing down second road that run the red light even though there are sometimes many pedestrians waiting for that very brief opportunity to cross second road. But the guys in police post dont do a thing other than occasionally stop motorbikes who have turned left into Klang on a red light heading towards the beach.But do nothing to assist the hordes of tourists that can't seem to work out when it's going to be safe to cross the road.

Another location is the corner of Klang and Third road and there you can easily see deplorable and very dangerous driving in full view of a police post as they very often pull out of the traffic and furiously drive down third road on the wrong side of the double yellow line to try to beat the right green arrow in the direction of the beach. the problem is that when there is an occasional vehicle coming in the opposite direction and who have right of way because they are on the correct side of the double yellow line have nowhere to pull in because the left lane is full of Issan bound buses that are parked in a long line.gigglem.gif

The police when they are there are far more interested in watching their small television set. blink.png

That's just the style of driving in Thailand and you just as well should get used to it and go with the flow. Cars don't stop at a lights turning red until the 4 or sometimes 5th car...and often the far left lane is used as a "no -stop" lane whatever the lights colour. Its the same when crossing over into oncoming lanes at intersections to make turns (especially rights). The police aren't ever gonna stop anyone when they're doing these maneuvers because like I said, it's the driving style in Thailand. I do it all the time too now and it helps to keep traffic moving ☺

I can give you two other examples of where there are police posts and you can stand and watch the worst and most dangerous behaviour by drivers . Just stand on the corner of second road and Klang and just watch the number of buses and cars continuing down second road that run the red light even though there are sometimes many pedestrians waiting for that very brief opportunity to cross second road. But the guys in police post dont do a thing other than occasionally stop motorbikes who have turned left into Klang on a red light heading towards the beach.But do nothing to assist the hordes of tourists that can't seem to work out when it's going to be safe to cross the road.

That's just the style of driving in Thailand and you just as well should get used to it and go with the flow. Cars don't stop at a lights turning red until the 4 or sometimes 5th car...and often the far left lane is used as a "no -stop" lane whatever the lights colour. Its the same when crossing over into oncoming lanes at intersections to make turns (especially rights). The police aren't ever gonna stop anyone when they're doing these maneuvers because like I said, it's the driving style in Thailand. I do it all the time too now and it helps to keep traffic moving ☺

Huh ? blink.pngyou just as well should get used to it “. What about drunken driving is that something else we just should just as well get used to? No I will never ever get used to it because its wrong wrong wrong! And responsible drivers and the police should both be working together to eradicate it.

So according to you if a driver who after waiting gets the green light and proceeds after 4 or 5 cars what happens when the sixth car also comes through and he gets an enormous whack on his blindside? He should just say ooops miscalculated that one facepalm.gif

You have an amazing theory but one thing is for sure with people that that have your mindset on the roads Thailand will firmly remain ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities.ermm.gif

OMG............ lives in his own world when it comes to driving here.

Any post referencing how the driving experience in Pattaya has deteriorated over the years is sure to feature a response from him denying that this is the case. " We live in a big city now and better get used to it," is the jist of his argument..

Now that we know he's a serial red-light runner along with all the other bozos, I'm sure the rest of his driving habits (probably from behind deeply tinted windows) are equally local.

I have lived in Pattaya for 14 years and the driving experience here is not pleasant.

Edited by bobbin

you just as well should get used to it “. What about drunken driving is that something else we just should just as well get used to? No I will never ever get used to it because its wrong wrong wrong! And responsible drivers and the police should both be working together to eradicate it.

Yes, get used to it.

Lesson #1: Whatever you do, please don't hold your breath waiting for "responsible drivers and the police" either.

So according to you if a driver who after waiting gets the green light and proceeds after 4 or 5 cars what happens when the sixth car also comes through and he gets an enormous whack on his blindside? He should just say ooops miscalculated that one facepalm.gif

Yes, that is EXACTLY the procedure if/when your gap-shoot doesn't quite work out.

Lesson #2: It should also come with deferential smile, averted eyes and a courteous short bow (bob) of your head. Then you get out of the car and make a very visible display of calling your insurance company while blocking all traffic and totally ignoring the other driver..

You have an amazing theory but one thing is for sure with people that that have your mindset on the roads Thailand will firmly remain ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities

Yes, it is Thailand.

Lesson #3: Get used to it.

Any post referencing how the driving experience in Pattaya has deteriorated over the years is sure to feature a response from him denying that this is the case. " We live in a big city now and better get used to it," is the jist of his argument..

Now that we know he's a serial red-light runner along with all the other bozos, I'm sure the rest of his driving habits (probably from behind deeply tinted windows) are equally local.

I have lived in Pattaya for 14 years and the driving experience here is not pleasant.

The standard of driving in all of Thailand has not deteriorated one iota since I first started driving here around 37 years ago. What has changed in the last 3 to 5 years is the sheer number of vehicles on the roads with a commensurate rise in the number being driven badly. The driving experience is not pleasant ANYWHERE in Thailand. Those gurning about Pattaya's frequent gridlocks, lack of parking, bad driving and lack of law enforcement should stop feeling so bloody special or particularly hard done by.

Get over yourselves it. Please.

No, in the real world of driving in Pattaya. What good does whinging do?

"When in Rome." I learned to do the same, many years ago. Yep, I drive on the wrong side of the street and on the walkways, too. w00t.gif Judiciously, of course. Thais all understand. :)

It's an adventure. But you'll be happier if you adopt the ol' mai pen rai attitude as Thais do. It's just how things are, no point in gettin' your knickers in a twist.

A fine antidote is to drive in Vietnam for a while, Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh especially. Thai driving will seem wonderful in comparison. :)

Is it the same people who are insisting Pattaya is dead who are now bothered by the traffic congestion?

Of course not allowing busses to transfer 5-10 people would be a solution but how to enforce such?

I'm one of those old fashioned guys who believes that a society is actually better for the majority of people when laws that are written to control the flow and safety of traffic are obeyed and enforced. I take law and order over anarchy in every situation in life; whether it's traffic, or any other aspect of behavior in society. Silly me.

Huh ? blink.pngyou just as well should get used to it . What about drunken driving is that something else we just should just as well get used to? No I will never ever get used to it because its wrong wrong wrong! And responsible drivers and the police should both be working together to eradicate it.

You have an amazing theory but one thing is for sure with people that that have your mindset on the roads Thailand will firmly remain ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities.ermm.gif

You can rail at the moon and pound on your dashboard all you want...as for me, I'm going with the locals and getting to where I need to go. You're much more likely to get into or cause an accident by sticking to your supposed farang driving "rules" than by knowing and driving like a local. As for Thailand's high traffic fatalities, I'm not living here to solve the country's problems...I just want to get through my day.

As for drunk-driving, I think there is a qualitative difference between operating a motor vehicle while one is physically and mentally impaired and when one "bends" the rules and adopts local driving culture.But feel free to wait an extra light or two while I whizz on pass you on the right of the yellow line as I make my right into Bic C Extra while going west on Klang ?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I'm one of those old fashioned guys who believes that a society is actually better for the majority of people when laws that are written to control the flow and safety of traffic are obeyed and enforced. I take law and order over anarchy in every situation in life; whether it's traffic, or any other aspect of behavior in society. Silly me.

So you must love living in Thailand ?

Is it the same people who are insisting Pattaya is dead who are now bothered by the traffic congestion?

Of course not allowing busses to transfer 5-10 people would be a solution but how to enforce such?

How to enforce that?

They found a solution to that merely 30 years ago in Spain, where in tourist towns no tourist buses are allowed within the city borders.

Huh ? blink.pngyou just as well should get used to it . What about drunken driving is that something else we just should just as well get used to? No I will never ever get used to it because its wrong wrong wrong! And responsible drivers and the police should both be working together to eradicate it.

You can rail at the moon and pound on your dashboard all you want...as for me, I'm going with the locals and getting to where I need to go. You're much more likely to get into or cause an accident by sticking to your supposed farang driving "rules" than by knowing and driving like a local. As for Thailand's high traffic fatalities, I'm not living here to solve the country's problems...I just want to get through my day.

As for drunk-driving, I think there is a qualitative difference between operating a motor vehicle while one is physically and mentally impaired and when one "bends" the rules and adopts local driving culture.But feel free to wait an extra light or two while I whizz on pass you on the right of the yellow line as I make my right into Bic C Extra while going west on Klang ?

So we now not only endorse the infringement of traffic rules, we even encourage them?

But next time this forum has a thread about a rich guy causing an accident because breached traffic rules, we are the first poster to condemn the guy.

I think some people just live to argue.

But next time this forum has a thread about a rich guy causing an accident because breached traffic rules, we are the first poster to condemn the guy.

Accidents happen under either driving scenario...as for condemning people for driving accidents, I don't think I've ever condemned them...shize happens, however, I'm sure some of our more rules-based obsessive members do.

Accidents happen under either driving scenario...as for condemning people for driving accidents, I don't think I've ever condemned them...shize happens, however, I'm sure some of our more rules-based obsessive members do.

And where does the occasional innocent tourist who rents a car here or even Chinese family who have brought their own vehicle with them get to learn about this laissez faire system which you so strongly support (other than here on TV of course) ....................before it’s too late for them?

now I think you're trolling

The standard of driving in all of Thailand has not deteriorated one iota since I first started driving here around 37 years ago. What has changed in the last 3 to 5 years is the sheer number of vehicles on the roads with a commensurate rise in the number being driven badly. The driving experience is not pleasant ANYWHERE in Thailand. Those gurning about Pattaya's frequent gridlocks, lack of parking, bad driving and lack of law enforcement should stop feeling so bloody special or particularly hard done by.

Get over yourselves it. Please.

Note that i used the phrase "driving experience", not driving standards. The bold type sentence in your reply accurately reflects my feelings.

And.. I first drove in Thailand in 1972. So 44 years vs. 37. tongue.png

The rest of the respondents who chime in with "I get where I'm going because when in Rome.." can continue to endorse the abysmal driving of the bad 10% of locals..

The countries most of us were first licensed in have tried diligently to improve the safety of the driving experience. As have all major auto manufacturers.

To discard much of that knowledge simply to "fit in" with the 10% of unrestrained yahoos beggars belief...

Just more "me me me".

And where does the occasional innocent tourist who rents a car here or even Chinese family who have brought their own vehicle with them get to learn about this laissez faire system which you so strongly support (other than here on TV of course) ....................before its too late for them?

They're at the whims of fate...just like I would be if I rented a car on a trip to China. However, the local driving customs I'm describing are generally safe and in any case, wouldn't be known or used by the casual tourist, who would be pretty safe if they stuck to the more standard rules of the road. The only qualifier would be if they slamed on the brakes at a yellow light to avoid going through a red, in that case, they would likely cause a 3-4 car pile-up. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

The countries most of us were first licensed in have tried diligently to improve the safety of the driving experience. As have all major auto manufacturers.

Yup.

To discard much of that knowledge simply to "fit in" with the 10% of unrestrained yahoos beggars belief...

You continue deliberately to misunderstand the point, setting up straw men and throwing out red herrings to maintain self-righteousness. Important?

Nobody's "discarding" any knowledge. Nobody's prescribing but merely describing the reality here and suggesting you personally might be happier if you accepted the reality you can't change. And safer as well by losing the provincial arrogance.

Recently it was argued that since Thai sidewalks shouldn't have low-hanging signs, as "civilized" countries don't, then, ignoring the reality that they do have them, you shouldn't stoop or bend your head down to avoid them--and later of course post a rant on the forum about your bloodied forehead. Same principle. Foreigners who don't understand Thai driving, feeling that a red light turning green entitles them immediately to jump out into the intersection, will have the most accidents. I remember some years ago a young farang doing just that on a big bike, wanting to be "first off the line," and running into a flat-bed truck, killing him instantly.

As in any country, one does encounter true kamikaze driving here sometimes and nobody with sense advocates imitating such.

And where does the occasional innocent tourist who rents a car here or even Chinese family who have brought their own vehicle with them get to learn about this laissez faire system . . .

Any tourist from a Third World country will expect Third World driving habits. Chinese shouldn't have any more problems here than they do in their own country, where they have plenty. smile.png

A snowflake from some nanny state should certainly read up on how Thais drive and watch some youtube vids at least. Common sense will dictate extreme caution. Those without it may suffer, and do. After a year or so, one normally begins to learn, adapt, and accept, except for our hard-core whingers. Funny the complaint-filled thread about "three-wheeled kitchens" recently. Don't bother me a bit, pay them no particular attention, just part of usual Thai traffic scenario I'm quite used to.

It's not so much old fashioned as it is a cultural trait. I am not being disrespectful here or having a 'yank bash' but you are from the US and the US by virtue of it's very being is a nation of laws. Between the individual states and the federal oversight, there's a smorgasbord of laws about everything and for everyone. This has led to a populace that for the greater part are much more law abiding than a lot of older, western countries. It's in your nature and it's definitely not a bad thing at all. I lived and worked there for ten years and found it quaint at first but later realized later just how admirable it is. However, when it comes to driving in Thailand, being too respectful of all the laws that govern your behavior and that of other road only serves to give you higher blood pressure than Somchai.