Do you feel there is an increase in violent behaviour in Thailand?

MockingJay

Do you feel there is an increase in violent behaviour in Thailand?  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last year I had a friend who made the mistake of keeping a Thai guy from bashing his own g/f - wife even more. And my Swedish friend got bashed ... and alcohol was involved. Intervening in domestic disputes is not a good idea.

About last October, a friend of mine moved a sign about 1/2 meter to park his g/f's car at a public park. This sign marked off parking spots for Samlor Tuk Tuk's. Six of the drivers immediately surround him and started a verbal barrage. My friend speaks Thai quite well and understood the threats being yelled at him and tried to calm them down. Then at full speed a guy with a big traffic cone jumped through the six guys and bashed my friend on the head with the hard plastic edge. This cut a 4-5 inch gash down to his skull and blood spurted everywhere. Well the hot headed drivers made a mistake. My friend is martial arts trained and the whack on his head did not phase him - only pissed him off. He then was attacked by the drivers one after another - with Muay Thai kicks ... My friend just grabbed their leg - then their throat and choked them out - put a thumb in the eyes of two of them and he then bashed their heads on a passing taxi and song taew. Three were down and my friend challenged the rest - they backed off. I was witness to this as I was running across the park and car park to get to him and calm him down. Police came -- several were arrested after they got out of the emergency room. They were later fined and given suspended sentences ... My friend was paid 20K baht for his medical bills - collected from the drivers by the Phuyaiban and the town attorney... Amazing Thailand.

Seems like a lot of trouble for a parking space.

A different place, a different day, different cops, a different weapon, a different Phuyaiban, and we may be reading about your deceased friend, or your friend in prison.

Sometimes I'm glad that mopping the streets with a bunch of thugs isn't even an option for me. I'd just have to find a different place to park. I can live with the shame.

My friend had no intention of disturbing anyone -- the movement of the sign did not displace even 1/10 of a parking space. No driver was displaced. My friend attempted in as calm a manner as possible to talk through the problem. But he had no choice but to fight back - he was viciously attacked just like the folks in Hua Hin ... You seem to have the odd take of the story that my friend intentionally went out looking for trouble. He has been in Thailand for 16 years - speaks Thai near native and was trying to defuse the situation. Your take that he was a foolish fist slinging cowboy is way off base. He had no choice but to fight his way out of it ... they had him surrounded and would not let him leave... Good Grief - all the keyboard know it alls --- you weren't there...

So, let me ask you. Taking out all the judgement, the good and evil, the right and the wrong of it, how do you figure it would have gone had he parked across the street and not moved their sign?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure seems like it's getting worse. I'm in the U.S. But my wife's friends and family are all saying the same thing. I always felt safe there but not so sure anymore. This last incident was all over the U.S. news and social media and will have a negative impact on Thailand's reputation here. Sad to see and a bit nervous about a trip we are planning later in the year.

Nowhere is 100 per cent safe. My home country, unfortunately is becoming more and more dangerous. Many of my friends won't venture out at night. The biggest issues here are the "one punch" incidents that have led to many deaths. All alcohol and/or drug fuelled. A few have been as a result of an innocent bystander being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The other issue is the gangs of mostly teenagers of African descent breaking into houses, committing vicious assaults on families, with little punishment if they are caught. Thailand is by no means perfect, but I feel a lot safer there than my country of origin.

Being nice and respectful. And having been trained the best way to avoid a fight is to get away from the problem ASAP. Thailand is a very cool place for me. Having said that, BANGKOK: -- The violent gun death rate in Thailand is more than TWICE as high as that of the United States, according to a US network of public radio broadcasters.

NPR ran the data from the University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation after the recent mass shootings in California, and found Thailand had 7.48 violent gun deaths per 100,000 people in 2013.

That’s over twice the gun death rate in the US, which had 3.55 deaths per 100,000 people in the same year.

Thailand also has the highest gun death rate in Asia, the data shows.

It had 50% more deaths than the Philippines, which also beat the US gun death rate with 4.64 deaths per 100,000 people.

Full story: http://bangkok.cocon...e-twice-high-us

<deleted>

Many years ago i frequented the bar areas ,and never ever saw or heard of any violence , now i dont go there , i hear about violence but must admit i have never seen any in 25 years,except tourists fighting each other, as for driving , well most Thai drivers have nothing between their ears , so they are mostly me first , but have not seen any violence and we live in Pattaya .

I personally think we are moving into the digital generation's value systems. Linking this on topic would be interpersonal issue, ie the levels of tolerance are less forgiving.

What i mean by this, is that way people interact has changed, there is less face to face exchange and appreciation of 'other', personal interests are elevated above all else and a general appreciation of important issues; local, glocal, and global are less dynamic in our public space. This generation has risen to prominence and sometimes their substantive values shift is massive and difficult to fully fathom.

Add to that, the harsher economic pressures and costs and most being more time poor, i would just add to the opening post that i think people are less happy than thirty years ago.

Can i quantify that.... no, but it feels qualitatively true.

I do think if there's an opportunity to hurt a 'farang',a few Thais will take that opportunity.

Such a situation took place in Khaosan during songkran. I witnessed an English guy who was picked out to go through the security tent. Feeling bullied he refused, the security got heavy, he pushed them away and they beat the crap out of him. This was the official security at Khaosan!!

I do think if there's an opportunity to hurt a 'farang',a few Thais will take that opportunity.

Such a situation took place in Khaosan during songkran. I witnessed an English guy who was picked out to go through the security tent. Feeling bullied he refused, the security got heavy, he pushed them away and they beat the crap out of him. This was the official security at Khaosan!!

"Feeling bullied he refused, the security got heavy, he pushed them away and they beat the crap out of him" - how is he at airports in the West with the security people, does he refuse security staff instructions and push security staff away and then what happens! It's actually laughable when posters try to use those types of examples as a justification to support Thai people wanting to hurt farangs at any opportunity.

I can't believe how many people actually believe it's more violent here. I think a lot of you should look up what it was like in the 80's here. So far people have talked about the last 20 years but what about the last 30? Look up Pirates in Gulf of Thailand and do some reading. The violence that used to be in and surrounding this country may surprise you. It is far safer than it used to be. I live in rural Thailand and assure you things have not gotten more violent over the years. But there are unwritten rules here, like anywhere, that if you break - be warned. It could get bad. This is nothing new. As I understand it, this has been the way for centuries. I guess the longer a foreigner lives here, the more they're exposed to the truth and harsh reality of the real world. This isn't a country where it's wise to show anger. They don't just bark here (like in America for instance). Considering some of the stuff I've read about the past, things have improved greatly. Yes, obviously social media has made things more visible for all and maybe that just shocks people who only use Facebook and ignore the rest of the Internet. But there's plenty of research and articles out there about how things used to be here. You only need to venture outside Facebook to find it.

Edited by zyn

Yes, and anyone who doesn't think so is living in cloud cuckoo land. As someone else mentioned, the TV is a big instigator... all these soaps involve bad behaviour, fighting and guns and it has a big influence. Must admit, though, have never seen the finger.

"Feeling bullied he refused, the security got heavy, he pushed them away and they beat the crap out of him" - how is he at airports in the West with the security people, does he refuse security staff instructions and push security staff away and then what happens! It's actually laughable when posters try to use those types of examples as a justification to support Thai people wanting to hurt farangs at any opportunity.

Maybe you have a different view but I don't justify violence for no reason whatsoever. The English guy was wrestled to the floor and 6 Thai security guys took turns to give him digs. This happened right I front of me and the wife. He had blood all over him and we helped him find his wallet which had fallen out in the attack but it was already taken. His mates could do nothing to help either, it was that brutal and I do feel there was a racial motive to it, my Thai wife agreed.

So as a farang ,and superior ,he was to good to go through the security tent ? says a lot for his type that come over here and feel "superior" , tough i say ,should have done as he was asked ,no sympathy whatever .

The security guard may have been reacting more to the guy's attitude than his race. Either way the British guy got some instant karma delivered to him.

Edited by Rob13

No more than normal,it's just becoming more visible due to an increased use of social media and the like.

There is more violence here now than there was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, but previously much violence (and other undesirable things) were simply brushed under the carpet and not reported. The recent incident in Hua Hin also went unreported for many days.

As you point out, with the increase of social media it is becoming increasingly more difficult to hide things, and that's good news for everyone (except those who would prefer to hide things).

Whilst I agree that which was routinely brushed under the carpet up until very recently, by virtue of social media, I believe an overriding factor is the enormous increase in mass tourism. Twenty years ago it was pretty quiet and relaxed here on Phuket, nowadays it can look like something out of Mad Max. I'd quickly learned, after an ill advised trip to KPG, the more Westerners about, the less friendly the Thais. Not to blame tourists per se, but some of their more boorish habits were quickly seized upon. There also appears to be more frustration at rising prices and less tourists here now. Instead of making the ones who are here feel valued, it appears this frustration is taken out on them. Rather akin to the 'if there are less customers, raise the price' mindset here.

So as a farang ,and superior ,he was to good to go through the security tent ? says a lot for his type that come over here and feel "superior" , tough i say ,should have done as he was asked ,no sympathy whatever .

No he was already half way past the security tent. For some reason they wanted him to come all the way back and I guess he already felt intimidated and tried to walk on. Then it escalated.

Very sorry about your shoulder chip btw. You shd get it seen to.

Coincidentally, a report of an English mother and her daughter being attacked by a bunch of ladyboys on KSR was linked in with the Hua Hin story. The daughter had gone to the aid of a man being savagely beaten by this band of er, brothers and they'd turned on her and then her mother when she went to her daughter's aid. Therefore it does appear that violence is escalating in predominantly tourist areas.

Maybe you have a different view but I don't justify violence for no reason whatsoever. The English guy was wrestled to the floor and 6 Thai security guys took turns to give him digs. This happened right I front of me and the wife. He had blood all over him and we helped him find his wallet which had fallen out in the attack but it was already taken. His mates could do nothing to help either, it was that brutal and I do feel there was a racial motive to it, my Thai wife agreed.

I also don't justify violence for no reason but I am inclined to be subservient when, in a foreign country, people in positions of semi authority challenge me. I'm the same around drunks and crack heads in any country. There's a time to push back and there's a time to shut the you know what up, I have no difficulty with doing the latter when it's required or when I'm in doubt and it's a policy that has served me well.

Coincidentally, a report of an English mother and her daughter being attacked by a bunch of ladyboys on KSR was linked in with the Hua Hin story. The daughter had gone to the aid of a man being savagely beaten by this band of er, brothers and they'd turned on her and then her mother when she went to her daughter's aid. Therefore it does appear that violence is escalating in predominantly tourist areas.

I'd really want to understand the detail a little better before I could pass judgement or even comment on the KSR incident.

2 cases indicate violence is escalating? Not correct.

Yes, and anyone who doesn't think so is living in cloud cuckoo land. As someone else mentioned, the TV is a big instigator... all these soaps involve bad behaviour, fighting and guns and it has a big influence. Must admit, though, have never seen the finger.

So people who have a different view from yours are crazy.

Prior to the Internet crime wasn't reported in the English language press, so it's difficult to say.

There's plenty of Thai on Thai violence in the provinces, it's not as friendly as ppl think.

The biggest change I notice is in the attitude of many Thais, especially taxi drivers, waitresses etc.

Friends have said similar, I wonder if it's tough times or maybe their is more anti farang stuff in the media.

Mobile phones and social media seem to create a lot of jealousy and resentment.

I've been in and out of Thailand since 1993. When I left in early 2008, I went around bragging to everyone what a safe, relaxed and wonderful country Thailand was... When I resurfaced in Thailand in 2012 I had to quickly change my mind... it wasn't the same country anymore by far - the attitude, the taxi drivers, the thugs, attitude, manners - everything got noticeably worse and it was getting worse since then. I can most certainly confirm this. It's not a safe country anymore by far... A minor dispute with a Taxi driver in Bangkok can easily end up in wounds or a fatality - something that was unimaginable back in say 2007. You may be randomly attacked or provoked on a street by some Thai men with self esteem problems. As soon as you step outside of your hotel or a condo you are exposing yourself to an unreal level of risk and danger in this country - regardless of where you are - I can see it everywhere. Even if you do everything right and are the nicest guy in the world - the problems will still find you in this country and it's only going to get worse. There are some inherent problems in Thai society which are pretty irreversible at this point.

Been visiting past 15 years or so.

I feel crime and violence has increased almost the world over during that decade and a half but the problem I see in Thailand is that "foreigners" are viewed increasingly as "fair game" and receive little if any protection - even from fellow foreigners.

I'm partly to blame as believe a visitor should respect the laws and customs of the land they are in so, when a foreigner got "a good hiding" for offending a local, I would invariably think "som nom na" as I would also do if someone deliberately put their fingers into a monkey cage and got them bitten.

Many of us foreigners felt the same way (many probably still do so).

My outlook has changed in that I have seen foreigners given "a good hiding" far too often, in Thailand. I have also seen foreigners stolen from and otherwise ripped-off due to their being the fair-game I referred to earlier, far too often (including my good self on occasion).

We are NOT fair game.

Thais are NOT ignorant, uncivilised, base primates without mankind's morals.

A person should not be subject to violence be it through their ignorance or their rudeness. Neither should they be fleeced purely because of their race.

And yes, it has gotten worse over the years. I now feel vulnerable and even in potential danger sometimes in places I never used to in Thailand. I sometimes take a cab to somewhere I would once have walked to (and home again) because I feel less safe.

I had hoped to retire to Thailand but am having serious second thoughts about it, for these reasons.

So long as the two institutions we should trust the most remain untrustworthy in their consideration of foreigners (education and justice) then ever shall it be so. Even if a change were made tomorrow and schools started teaching respect and tolerance towards "Farangs" and the police and courts started to protect them, it would likely take at least a couple of generations to turn it around.

The Thais need persuading, not forcing, to stop damaging their own country and their own selves through the ill treatment of their paying guests.

Else they will simply lose those guests to more hospitable destinations - maybe a developing Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia.

Just my two-baht's worth on the subject.

Reading through this thread it's the usual;

1. Racist victim blaming.

2. Irrelevant statements like "it's way worse in the West." Guess what? In "the west" you have at least some human rights. You can't compare Thailand when it compares favorably and then not compare it when it the comparison is unfavorable.

<deleted>

Edited by CharlieH
inflammatory insult removed.

I personally think we are moving into the digital generation's value systems. Linking this on topic would be interpersonal issue, ie the levels of tolerance are less forgiving.

What i mean by this, is that way people interact has changed, there is less face to face exchange and appreciation of 'other', personal interests are elevated above all else and a general appreciation of important issues; local, glocal, and global are less dynamic in our public space. This generation has risen to prominence and sometimes their substantive values shift is massive and difficult to fully fathom.

Add to that, the harsher economic pressures and costs and most being more time poor, i would just add to the opening post that i think people are less happy than thirty years ago.

Can i quantify that.... no, but it feels qualitatively true.

Have to agree with you optad.

I would also like to point out that when out walking in public places like city centres, shopping centres, parks and the like, if you got too close to someone or, god forbid, bumped into them, it was all sorted by each one apologising and on your merry way (I am talking about your average person who knows what politeness is, not the drunk aggressive guy)

Now, it seems that these arrogant young uns have their "own space" ???

What the blazes does that mean? "Get outta my space!!"

The ones that use this statement are usually the ones who are walking aimlessly whilst staring into their mobiles not looking where they are going

Manners go a long way

I made a decision that I wanted to retire in Thailand when it was my turn, but after only 3 years of being there on and off, I am having a serious re-think.

I like to be in the know as far as what affects me and my future is concerned, and thus, make decisions about my future accordingly.

In this comment I will refer to Thais and farangs and people in power, but before I start, would like to point out that I am not generalising.

I (like many other people) have thought about how Thailand needs to change the way its people view farang. It's all about education. In the 1950s many immigrants came from the Caribbean to the UK and many people did not take to them because they were different, were classed as untrustworthy, or simply not wanted for fear of changing the way the 'locals' were used to living. A fear of change maybe? A good number of said 'locals' were indeed racist and carried out attacks.

Dont get me wrong, nothing much has changed as these actions still occur.

My point is that maybe this is similar to what is happening in Thailand, farangs settling in areas where the Thais feel is theirs and dont want farang there? All of a sudden the place is swamped with farang and Thai is starting to get frustrated seeing farang with money having things Thai cannot have?

Thais seem to be able to commit extreme violence (in some cases) to farang, then apologise and that's about it, so if these frustrated Thais know they can half kill a farang without any cummupence then will it ever stop?

The powers that be are not rushing to do much about it in many cases. Maybe they are happy sweeping things under the carpet for the old backhander? So, until there is a change at the top, I cannot see Thailand becoming a less aggressive nation. The problem is, for my personal reasons, is that I cannot see a change at the top (and I have to be careful what I say here) because of the situation and the problems the 'other choice' is going through (hint - at the palace wai.gif )

Could be a very long time before Thailand is better than now.

I am not giving Thailand a rough time, it is a beautiful place with lovely people, but I am considering VN or Cambodia. I dont think Cambodia comes close to Thailand for what each can offer but VN has many variations. I also think that maybe many Vietnamese can be as bad as said aggressive Thais and you hear more about it because Thailand is maybe more well known or publicised more?

Lastly, as I have said, I have only being going to Thailand the last few years and my comment is no way based on fact, just my thoughts on comparison and outlook

Cheers . . . . thoughts?

Edited by Walter Travolta

Last year I had a friend who made the mistake of keeping a Thai guy from bashing his own g/f - wife even more. And my Swedish friend got bashed ... and alcohol was involved. Intervening in domestic disputes is not a good idea.

About last October, a friend of mine moved a sign about 1/2 meter to park his g/f's car at a public park. This sign marked off parking spots for Samlor Tuk Tuk's. Six of the drivers immediately surround him and started a verbal barrage. My friend speaks Thai quite well and understood the threats being yelled at him and tried to calm them down. Then at full speed a guy with a big traffic cone jumped through the six guys and bashed my friend on the head with the hard plastic edge. This cut a 4-5 inch gash down to his skull and blood spurted everywhere. Well the hot headed drivers made a mistake. My friend is martial arts trained and the whack on his head did not phase him - only pissed him off. He then was attacked by the drivers one after another - with Muay Thai kicks ... My friend just grabbed their leg - then their throat and choked them out - put a thumb in the eyes of two of them and he then bashed their heads on a passing taxi and song taew. Three were down and my friend challenged the rest - they backed off. I was witness to this as I was running across the park and car park to get to him and calm him down. Police came -- several were arrested after they got out of the emergency room. They were later fined and given suspended sentences ... My friend was paid 20K baht for his medical bills - collected from the drivers by the Phuyaiban and the town attorney... Amazing Thailand.

I wish I could have seen that beat down man. Truth is we need more of these types of incidents. Not because I want to see some farang on Thai bashing, but to show them there are consequences when you use violence casually. It's obvious that the education system, government and police have failed to do so.

What Thailand needs is a Judge Dredd type character.

I made a decision that I wanted to retire in Thailand when it was my turn, but after only 3 years of being there on and off, I am having a serious re-think.

I like to be in the know as far as what affects me and my future is concerned, and thus, make decisions about my future accordingly.

In this comment I will refer to Thais and farangs and people in power, but before I start, would like to point out that I am not generalising.

I (like many other people) have thought about how Thailand needs to change the way its people view farang. It's all about education. In the 1950s many immigrants came from the Caribbean to the UK and many people did not take to them because they were different, were classed as untrustworthy, or simply not wanted for fear of changing the way the 'locals' were used to living. A fear of change maybe? A good number of said 'locals' were indeed racist and carried out attacks.

Dont get me wrong, nothing much has changed as these actions still occur.

My point is that maybe this is similar to what is happening in Thailand, farangs settling in areas where the Thais feel is theirs and dont want farang there? All of a sudden the place is swamped with farang and Thai is starting to get frustrated seeing farang with money having things Thai cannot have?

Thais seem to be able to commit extreme violence (in some cases) to farang, then apologise and that's about it, so if these frustrated Thais know they can half kill a farang without any cummupence then will it ever stop?

The powers that be are not rushing to do much about it in many cases. Maybe they are happy sweeping things under the carpet for the old backhander? So, until there is a change at the top, I cannot see Thailand becoming a less aggressive nation. The problem is, for my personal reasons, is that I cannot see a change at the top (and I have to be careful what I say here) because of the situation and the problems the 'other choice' is going through (hint - at the palace wai.gif )

Could be a very long time before Thailand is better than now.

I am not giving Thailand a rough time, it is a beautiful place with lovely people, but I am considering VN or Cambodia. I dont think Cambodia comes close to Thailand for what each can offer but VN has many variations. I also think that maybe many Vietnamese can be as bad as said aggressive Thais and you hear more about it because Thailand is maybe more well known or publicised more?

Lastly, as I have said, I have only being going to Thailand the last few years and my comment is no way based on fact, just my thoughts on comparison and outlook

Cheers . . . . thoughts?

You're very very confused Walter, you need to get your thinking straight:

There's no comparison between the 1950's Caribbean influx to the UK and retirees settling in Thailand, completely opposite scenarios.

You say you're not generalizing, really!!! You've not written about one single specific incident.

"Thais seem to be able to commit extreme violence (in some cases) to farang" - you need to examine each case and judge it on its merits to see what happened and why other wise it's just a throw away statement.

If you think Thailand is bad and you're reconsidering living here, your alternative is Cambodia which you think will be better!!!!

Best you look at what you wrote again, in the cold sober light of day and see if it still fits with what you think.

Thanks for your extremely patronising reply . . . .

1) I wasn't comparing the 1950s and the present day in Thailand. I was wandering if the same feelings that were felt back then, are the same feelings that the Thais are having now? As I said, I was not stating facts. It was more a 'put it out there' suggestion. And nowhere does my script suggest I thought immigration back then was the same as farangs moving to Thailand!!! That's just crazy. Maybe if you your brain could work in such a way that it can come up with alternatives to what you first think someone is saying?

2) I didn't write a specific incident as I was referring to what the topic is about and the recent posts about the recent incident in Hua Hin which i would hope most people reading this? There are other incidents although I wont search for them just to prove a point, we all know there have been quite a few incidents where farangs have been assaulted by Thais quite recently

3) I am aware that both countries are as dangerous as Thailand CAN BE, I did state this about VN. Sorry I didnt include Cambodia in the same paragraph . . . .

Although if my post had been perfectly delivered, you would not have anything to pick holes in?

Take care CM smile.png