Do you feel there is an increase in violent behaviour in Thailand?

MockingJay

Do you feel there is an increase in violent behaviour in Thailand?  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Due to the latest Hua Hin incident and my own findings, I am interested to see what other TV members feel in regards to a possible increase of violence in Thailand.

I live here for over two decades and am under the impression that the Thai people in general are more prone to violence and that the treshold where Thais lose their temper and get violent (especially on today's roads) is sinking lower and lower by the year.

One can see the rolled down window and the erected middle finger more often these days, I see road fights, drivers cutting each other off on purpose, arguments that get out of hand and a decrease in general friendliness. To me it seems, that the old land of smiles that I knew, is quickly fading.

I find it rather frightening and it worries me a lot. Since I have a family (Thai/foreign) here, I wonder what future my children will have in a country, where local people can kill or harm foreigners and are always getting away with it, while the rules and regulations aimed against foreigners and foreign investors alike are tightened by the week...

What is your opinion on this one?

Edited by MockingJay

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One can see the rolled down window and the erected middle finger more often these days, I see road fights, drivers cutting each other off on purpose, arguments that get out of hand and a decrease in general friendliness. To me it seems, that the old land of smiles that I knew, is quickly fading."

I've only been here 15 years and

Never have seen a rolled down window with the erected middle finger;

Never have seen road fights;

Have seen one or two drivers cut each off purposefully BUT far less than I've seen in the West;

Never have seen arguments that get out of hand

Not saying it doesn't happen........Guess I live in a different Thailand than you dowhistling.gif

I would say it entirely depends where you frequent.

In my years here I seldom , cant actually recall, any issues of violence in the rural areas I frequent.

It seems to be orientated around the main tourist areas and particularly where alcohol is involved as can been seen in most instances in the media.

I would say it entirely depends where you frequent.

In my years here I seldom , cant actually recall, any issues of violence in the rural areas I frequent.

It seems to be orientated around the main tourist areas and particularly where alcohol is involved as can been seen in most instances in the media.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and while I don't see much difference up there I am staying with the family down in Bang Bo in the suburbs and the quality of drivers has definitely got lower than last year.

No more than normal,it's just becoming more visible due to an increased use of social media and the like.

There is more violence here now than there was 10 or 20 or 30 years ago, but previously much violence (and other undesirable things) were simply brushed under the carpet and not reported. The recent incident in Hua Hin also went unreported for many days.

As you point out, with the increase of social media it is becoming increasingly more difficult to hide things, and that's good news for everyone (except those who would prefer to hide things).

"One can see the rolled down window and the erected middle finger more often these days, I see road fights, drivers cutting each other off on purpose, arguments that get out of hand and a decrease in general friendliness. To me it seems, that the old land of smiles that I knew, is quickly fading."

Have seen one or two drivers cut each off purposefully BUT far less than I've seen in the West;

Not saying it doesn't happen........Guess I live in a different Thailand than you dowhistling.gif

I've lived here just over 5 years and travel approx. 150km per DAY/round trip, but have NEVER seen the middle finger being used, road fights, etc.

I live in Korat. Maybe it depends on where you live?

That having being said, the drivers here aren't perfect - just not as violent as described in the opening text.

Honestly I get worried about the news I read but for myself, I never experienced anything other that good things here in thailand. I've cut off ppl in my car and they me... It is about live and let live. I got robbed once at knive point and gave them 500 baht. 500 baht in 5 years is not bad the way I see it. In my home country I would guess it to be more.. No worries

No more than normal,it's just becoming more visible due to an increased use of social media and the like.

You are very uninformed. The fact is that this phenomena is vastly increasing world-wide as the pressure of life is becoming unbearable for the 99% of non-elite. To say its normal is totally wrong (and dangerous for unsuspecting visitors), and Im surprised that so many equally ill-informed people agreed with you. However, I do agree that it is becoming more visible as taking a video of an atrocity is seen as "popular and cool and funny" rather than intervening as an individual/group/community as it detracts from the enjoyment of watching an innocent family being brutally mugged. But, more importantly, changing the culture of many Thais of being so aggressive and hateful toward innocent foreigners is necessary. As long as the culture of corruption (both financial and moral) prevail in Thailand the problem will never be solved. Clearly as there has been a very long hideous history of this in Thailand, I can only surmise that many Thais (particularly the authorities) just don't care and probably get off on it.

Edited by barky

Agreed, in the US on the other hand there's a definite increase

another topic..perhaps.

However...I will bite.

Most likely the violence is initiated by "NeverTrumpers". Democrats also have the ugliest, most violent form of protestor.

Is that what you mean?

Actually...the topic is thailand.

I would say there is an increase in violent behaviour but a massive increase in the way we find out about it being social media of all types. Mobile phone's alone are like on the spot reporting and brings it to a whole new level...

Have to say never seen bad violent behavior where ever I've travelled in Thailand only bad manners mainly.

Friends & family that ask me about coming to Thailand if their concerned about certain things they are told, I just say stay away from Bangkok, and places like Pattaya & Phuket and now Hua Hin, come straight to me and we will sort your trip. smile.png

It depends where you are and how you behave, drive aggressively and behave the same way and you'll see an increase in violence right in front of you, case in point, the Hua Hin incident.

I agree till you use Hua Hin as an example. The way I understand it one of the victims arm brushed against one of Thai guys and a beating was the result. The only violence was from theThais, unless I missed something the victims were not acting aggressive or misbehaving.

It depends where you are and how you behave, drive aggressively and behave the same way and you'll see an increase in violence right in front of you, case in point, the Hua Hin incident.

I agree till you use Hua Hin as an example. The way I understand it one of the victims arm brushed against one of Thai guys and a beating was the result. The only violence was from theThais, unless I missed something the victims were not acting aggressive or misbehaving.

With respect, please let's not turn this into another thread on the Hua Hin incident, perhaps best if you look through one of the existing threads on that subject to see what the cause was and you can draw your own conclusions from watching he video.

Most of the incidents we read about happen late at night and involve alcohol. I have seen this in the last year time and time again just in the places I drink and even with the guys I hang with. The number of fights mostly involved farang on farang and were alcohol induced.

My advise, after a few beers and before too late go home. Also, if someone in your group is starting to get out of hand or loud call it a night or just go to another place away from them. Maybe just become a morning person and exercise and enjoy the sunrises and forget about the alcohol .... :(

The increase in social media is one factor. The allegiances, agenda, and the reporting of the mainstream media shouldn't be overlooked, either. Along with the spin being imposed by the different factions, even in the social media.

Short answer: We have no way of knowing whether any perceived increase in violence is real, or an artifact of the changes in the way we're being spoon fed the news.

A few years of living at or close to Phuket will teach you a different lesson. Maybe you are living somewhere in Udon-Ruralistan where everyone still rides on buffalos or bicycles...

Last year I had a friend who made the mistake of keeping a Thai guy from bashing his own g/f - wife even more. And my Swedish friend got bashed ... and alcohol was involved. Intervening in domestic disputes is not a good idea.

About last October, a friend of mine moved a sign about 1/2 meter to park his g/f's car at a public park. This sign marked off parking spots for Samlor Tuk Tuk's. Six of the drivers immediately surround him and started a verbal barrage. My friend speaks Thai quite well and understood the threats being yelled at him and tried to calm them down. Then at full speed a guy with a big traffic cone jumped through the six guys and bashed my friend on the head with the hard plastic edge. This cut a 4-5 inch gash down to his skull and blood spurted everywhere. Well the hot headed drivers made a mistake. My friend is martial arts trained and the whack on his head did not phase him - only pissed him off. He then was attacked by the drivers one after another - with Muay Thai kicks ... My friend just grabbed their leg - then their throat and choked them out - put a thumb in the eyes of two of them and he then bashed their heads on a passing taxi and song taew. Three were down and my friend challenged the rest - they backed off. I was witness to this as I was running across the park and car park to get to him and calm him down. Police came -- several were arrested after they got out of the emergency room. They were later fined and given suspended sentences ... My friend was paid 20K baht for his medical bills - collected from the drivers by the Phuyaiban and the town attorney... Amazing Thailand.

I feel the young are quite a bit more violent. They are growing up in a different world than the previous generations.They see violence on screen daily.From movies ,to videos ,to games.. They also are more materialistic than past generations and achieving those things creats stress. the stress creats violence.. With no real punishment for violent crimes the young are using it more and more.Why not just like the movies,kick some one walk away,tomorrow same same, ghetto mentality.

A few years of living at or close to Phuket will teach you a different lesson. Maybe you are living somewhere in Udon-Ruralistan where everyone still rides on buffalos or bicycles...

Nice try....NOPE....live in the out skirts of Bangkok AND Rayong....So do a bit of driving on Motorway 7. Seems that if your a sensible driver you will never get the finger .....You must be just the opposite to have been subjected to such, so oftenblink.png

Last year I had a friend who made the mistake of keeping a Thai guy from bashing his own g/f - wife even more. And my Swedish friend got bashed ... and alcohol was involved. Intervening in domestic disputes is not a good idea.

About last October, a friend of mine moved a sign about 1/2 meter to park his g/f's car at a public park. This sign marked off parking spots for Samlor Tuk Tuk's. Six of the drivers immediately surround him and started a verbal barrage. My friend speaks Thai quite well and understood the threats being yelled at him and tried to calm them down. Then at full speed a guy with a big traffic cone jumped through the six guys and bashed my friend on the head with the hard plastic edge. This cut a 4-5 inch gash down to his skull and blood spurted everywhere. Well the hot headed drivers made a mistake. My friend is martial arts trained and the whack on his head did not phase him - only pissed him off. He then was attacked by the drivers one after another - with Muay Thai kicks ... My friend just grabbed their leg - then their throat and choked them out - put a thumb in the eyes of two of them and he then bashed their heads on a passing taxi and song taew. Three were down and my friend challenged the rest - they backed off. I was witness to this as I was running across the park and car park to get to him and calm him down. Police came -- several were arrested after they got out of the emergency room. They were later fined and given suspended sentences ... My friend was paid 20K baht for his medical bills - collected from the drivers by the Phuyaiban and the town attorney... Amazing Thailand.

Seems like a lot of trouble for a parking space.

A different place, a different day, different cops, a different weapon, a different Phuyaiban, and we may be reading about your deceased friend, or your friend in prison.

Sometimes I'm glad that mopping the streets with a bunch of thugs isn't even an option for me. I'd just have to find a different place to park. I can live with the shame.

Edited by impulse

whistling.gif Yes, and in my opinion it is caused by the deteriorating gap between the economic expectations for the average Thai worker (as painted by advertising on television and in the newspapers) and the daily economic reality experienced by the average Thai worker.

More Thais carry a higher load of personal debt today than ever before, they owe money to support their "westernized" life style than they did in years past.

This provides more psychological worry and stress in their lives.....which sometimes erupts in violence due to their frustration between their perceived expectations and the reality of their lives.

I came here to Thailand for the first time in 1977, and though the Thai workers were less well off then, they seemed happier then.

Od course that is always a personal opinion, but that is what I am seeing based on my 40 years of observations in The urban areas of Thailand

The frustration and outright anger is highest in the cities and urbanized areas, as that is where the difference between perceived expectations and the daily reality is most often experienced by the average person.

I am in my 70's now, and don't expect to b around in another decade or so......when the riots start to happen....but you younger people will br.

Just a prediction.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Seems like a lot of trouble for a parking space.

A different place, a different day, different cops, a different weapon, a different Phuyaiban, and we may be reading about your deceased friend, or your friend in prison.

Sometimes I'm glad that mopping the streets with a bunch of thugs isn't even an option for me. I'd just have to find a different place to park. I can live with the shame.

My friend had no intention of disturbing anyone -- the movement of the sign did not displace even 1/10 of a parking space. No driver was displaced. My friend attempted in as calm a manner as possible to talk through the problem. But he had no choice but to fight back - he was viciously attacked just like the folks in Hua Hin ... You seem to have the odd take of the story that my friend intentionally went out looking for trouble. He has been in Thailand for 16 years - speaks Thai near native and was trying to defuse the situation. Your take that he was a foolish fist slinging cowboy is way off base. He had no choice but to fight his way out of it ... they had him surrounded and would not let him leave... Good Grief - all the keyboard know it alls --- you weren't there...

I live on Phuket and don't see it.