Do you feel there is an increase in violent behaviour in Thailand?

MockingJay

Do you feel there is an increase in violent behaviour in Thailand?  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Part of the problem is that there are many more tourists in Thailand; more Thais from rural areas coming into the tourist cities of Bangkok; Pattaya; and Phuket; and a huge increase in motor vehicles of all kind. When you get so many people in such close proximity to each other; coupled by enough abuse of drugs and alcohol; high temperatures; high stress because of economic issues; there is more chance of confrontations than ever before. When I first came in the 60's Thailand was very laid back. No traffic in the big cities; hardly any foreigners; and no crowds. Smiles were genuine and there was no pressure in a person's life. Both foreigners and Thais had less money but seemed to enjoy life more

Everything is so different now. People hurrying about trying to get enough Baht to survive. Rude tourists in large numbers unable to adjust to the Thai culture creating more stress. Huge traffic jams causing untold loss of productivity; pollution and increasing costs of basic foodstuffs while wages stagnate. Life in many areas of Thailand is like living in a pressure cooker. Eventually people blow- it just takes less these days for it to happen.

Much of all this chaos can be attributed to corruption; exploitation of the 99% by the 1% and lack of real opportunity. It's just not Thailand- it is everywhere. Like one of the posters stated- in the next 10 years if things do no change- we will see Worldwide riots. Try to avoid any type of confrontation and be streetwise.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I believe it is getting more violent and so does my wife. I've been here 17 years (time flys). Lived in Pattaya, Bangkok, and Isaan. Lately I'm living south from Buriram close to the border. My wife was always keen to go the concerts and town fares but has no interest anymore as there always seems to be youths even up to their mid twenties looking for action in the form of a fight. Most can't fight so they carry knives, chains etc and of course fight in packs so they avoid defeat and loss of face. Seems you can't even look at anyone in the eye anymore as it seems to create a problem. I think for a big part in the countryside kids just don't have enough to do. Sport is limited, night life is limited so they just ride around looking for action. Agree violence is on the increase in many parts of the world but I think Thailand seems to be accelerating faster than some other places. Saying Thailand could be generalizing as it may be limited to certain areas. I was thinking of retirement in Hua Hin and the recent problem was not good news however it might be a positive if they put a bit more focus on safety and security. Can only hope.

For me I just do the 'wai', bow slightly, say 'Ko-Toht' and then move on.

Like, everyone wants to be a coward, I don't think so.

I'll be dead before I bow or apologize to some Thai halfwit who walks into me.

If and when you get wiser and reflect on those words in the future. I hope you don't feel too much pain.

Well there you have it BritMantoo, we'll see you on TVF real soon, another courageous, yet idiotic corpse on some street, the crime of which will never be investigated.

I'm gonna stay tuned to TVF and look out for ya :)

"He who turns and walks away,lives to fight another day". Like I said, pick your battles, you're on their turf. Ever heard of tactical retreat?

Oh and if you saw the Hua Hun CCTV, there was another long-haired farang drawn in to the scuffle, clearly one who knows what to do, he just threw the bar girl haranguing him to the ground and melted into the crowd ASAP, and the Thai guy that was gonna 'go' him, changed his mind and went back to the Scottish family. Wise man indeed.

No more than normal,it's just becoming more visible due to an increased use of social media and the like.

Agreed, in the US on the other hand there's a definite increase

Not sure where you get your info on crime increasing in the US, but from what I read online is been going down for years. Check your facts before posting something you don't know anything about.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhowe/2015/05/28/whats-behind-the-decline-in-crime/#7f4751e77733

Although I've seen many changes in my 10 years here, not so much in violence unless you're actively seeking a machete job which has always been there - [will stay on topic, with just a slight detour here] with internet was 'the' game changer as I see it, positive in many ways, but I'd say net negative if assessing in terms of staff taking care of you, or kids interacting in play/recreation as they're all glued to that social disease that is the smartphone. In fact I'd call it a 'full on' addiction in the most solid way, usually taking 2-3 weeks of abstinence before people realise how simple life becomes when not actively guarding 'mi precioussss' ,looking for new twaddle incoming every few minutes while you're mid-sentence, and how many beautiful things there are around them ('dumb phones' are for smart people*, and that percentage of sales is still significant though in decline). [back to main topic - just trying to emphasis the 'disconnectedness' of people being social and how that may be relevant in social behaviour].

As for actual violence, I'd say no significant degradation, but in terms of theft and other unsociable behaviour (probably going hand in hand with street drugs being common place now, which are expensive), I'd say an emphatic Yes! Theft all done with a smile of course, rather than violence where possible.

In most revolutions (be it wars, financial, technology etc), they tend to start with a single shot and escalate seemingly from nowhere as the under current finds a release point, so what I would call peaceful (if less fun) right now, might get a different answer several years from now, as I do feel that there's something in the air that is not yet apparent.

*Disclosure: I'm a smartphone user, though seriously considering getting a dumb phone as well, to become my main phone.

Edited by Shiver

No more than normal,it's just becoming more visible due to an increased use of social media and the like.

Agreed, in the US on the other hand there's a definite increase

Not sure where you get your info on crime increasing in the US, but from what I read online is been going down for years. Check your facts before posting something you don't know anything about.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilhowe/2015/05/28/whats-behind-the-decline-in-crime/#7f4751e77733

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/us/murder-rates-rising-sharply-in-many-us-cities.html

Well there you have it BritMantoo, we'll see you on TVF real soon, another courageous, yet idiotic corpse on some street, the crime of which will never be investigated.

I'm gonna stay tuned to TVF and look out for ya smile.png

No need to worry, my plane leaves tomorrow, then I'll be nice and safe, Shepherds Bush, here I come!

Practice a few local language phrases 'All right then mate! Leave it out! Shut it!'

Dig out my Oyster card, there you go, it's like I never left.

Edited by BritManToo

This is from an email I have received. It goes into some of the stuff we may be seeing. I have been coming and living in Thailand since 1973 but by no means am any kind of expert. Has the mannerisms changed along with general demeanor of the population. In some ways definitely I suppose because of T.V, and sitcoms ...

Not everyone walks the path of a monk like they used to for 3 months after school.

There are many times when driving the word idiot escapes my lips due to witnessing something utterly stupid.. But I am not alone for my wife (Thai National) can not believe some of the stuff we see. Last week I saw a car who chose to change lanes because a car was stopped for a you turn. There was room but the guy behind him evidently thought the lane change guy had cut him off. He tail gated the first guy until he could pass and then cut infront of the lane change guy and slammed on his breaks. He did this twice almost rear ending another guy in front.. This was a Mercedes doing all the stupid stuff. That was just about the worse thing I have seen other than the ones who run red lights and hit motorcycles yet don't even stop to render aid.

From the Email Quote:
Well worth a read, these guys have lived in Thailand for many, many years.

Has Thailand Become Too Dangerous, and Why?
By Bangkok Barry

There has recently been a massive amount of publicity concerning vicious attacks on foreigners in Thailand, in particular a family holidaying during Songkran. People are attacked all over the world, but the sheer ferocity of the attacks inflicted upon others in Thailand, often for very little reason, marks the country as a very, very dangerous place to visit. Although the authorities tried to ignore the fact that an elderly couple, pensioners and well into their 60s, and their son were attacked and hospitalised in Hua Hin, social media broadcast a video of the sickening attack. Out for the evening in a crowded street, the son accidentally brushed against a local who decided that warranted a thumping. When the parents remonstrated with the attacker, as any parent would, they were knocked to the ground as others moved in like rabid dogs and left all three on the ground unconscious. When the woman tried to sit up she was kicked in the face.

After the incident was broadcast those who attempted murder - which is what kicking someone in the head is - they said sorry but they were drunk. That’s okay then. Another foreigner though who speaks Thai was reported to have overheard them earlier in the evening saying they were going to attack some foreigners, indicating they were simply looking for any excuse to attack anyone who wasn’t Thai that happened to cross their path. What was also sickening is that the main concern afterwards wasn’t for the victims, but for the possible damage to the tourism industry. It is always thus. Always.

That wasn’t the only incident reported in the past few days. A Lao girl was attacked in the same manner - by a pack of rabid animals, knocked to the ground, kicked in the head - after a woman ordered them to do so as the victim was messing around with her husband. Worth possibly killing for? The attackers didn’t care what the consequences of their attack was. Thais, for whatever reason, are on a very short fuse and just about anything can set them off. And they have absolutely no concept of cause and effect, that kicking someone in the head can kill them and presumably see then locked up for many, many years. For what? Remember the Bangkok taxi driver who killed an American because of a dispute over $3? Lives ruined over nothing.

But what is the reason, and are these incidents escalating? To answer the second point first, we don’t know. What we do know is that they are now reported more because of social media. Everyone now carries a video camera with them and everyone is happy to post what they witness for the world to see. And then there is CCTV coverage too, which was used to show the attack on the Lao girl.

Why does it happen? Every Thai lives their entire life fearing every minute that they could lose face. Now, in the west kids suffer from the same problem, until they begin to grow up. Long before they reach their teens most have enough self-confidence to deal with any little social setbacks. It’s part of maturing. Thais do not do that. Losing face can and sometimes does lead to extreme action, even murder. It is arguably the most serious thing in any Thai’s life. Imagine the pressure they face every day, every hour, keeping up appearances.

Then add the sociopolitical situation, where no-one, no-one, can express their views or feelings about certain subjects. There is a country in the region, North Korea, where the supreme leader is above any criticism, where huge portraits adorn every public building and his photo is in every home and where people are brainwashed from birth to worship him, where TV every night shows programmes of his wonderful deeds for the people, where newspapers are not free to publish what they wish. Any resemblance to any other country in the region is purely coincidental. Add any public criticism of the present government and the threat of ‘attitude adjustment’ if you don’t agree with its policies, and is it any wonder that people get frustrated. Add the hopelessness many feel in having to deal with corrupt and / or self-important public officials, and it is hardly surprising that anger builds and builds like a pressure cooker.

There is also the problem of everything in Thailand being seen in black and white. There is no room or even interest in discussion or compromise. Look at what happened in the riots of a few years ago, when mobs burned down buildings. Or what led to the latest coup, as people were prevented from even registering to stand as candidates for the election if they belonged to the ‘wrong’ party. My way or the highway, and I’ll attack and kill you if you disagree. So no, the latest reports of extreme violence is nothing new. It’s just part of normal Thai society. Did you know that, per capita, Thailand has far, far more gun murders than the USA? I think double, but I’m open to correction (unlike a Thai, who will never admit to being wrong about anything).

Another part of the reason for uncontrolled violence is that those who commit the crimes have never been controlled themselves. They are almost always males, who Thai culture dictates must be treated as little princes free to do as they wish. If they are never taught right from wrong they often have no knowledge and certainly no interest in the boundaries to be observed. All their life, what they want they get. Just a week or two ago one nice lad threatened to burn down his mother’s house (no father in sight, another hugely damaging aspect of Thai culture) if she didn’t return from her job as a motorcycle taxi driver and give him money immediately. She was busy, didn’t do as he demanded, and he did indeed burn down the house. That is the mentality that leads to a 65-year old woman being kicked in the head.

But the biggest problem of all is that there is no possible way that things will improve. Thai males in particular have no-one to look up to either at home or in politics, and every day Thai TV dramas feed them the message that it is okay to be violent, especially against women and poorer people but also against rivals in love or business. Those who don’t watch TV often spend their nights in computer shops killing as many people as they can in video games. Lines are blurred. Personal debt is increasing as many try to gain face by buying things they don’t need and cannot afford in order to impress others who can see through them anyway, and adds to the pressure.

And as more and more restrictions are placed upon them, and the rest of society, by an unelected government so the anger and frustration will continue to grow. And even if political parties were allowed free reign again, you can be sure that once again they would be at each others throats. Which is largely why the coup occurred in the first place. There is really no way forward whichever way you look at it, and it seems that Thailand is doomed to increasing become a land of lawlessness ruled by fear with frustrated and angry thugs picking on anyone they want to in order to vent their anger.

End Quote:

Some interesting points in the email but everyone's situation and experience is different, no doubt. I do not believe Thailand is doomed no more so than any other country unless the government goes full blown North Korea (China is not a wonderful human rights kinda place either) on us....which I do not believe will happen.

Welcome to the land of stares and stupidity rampant and where reason is punished and treason upheld......Land of smiles does not exist.... its just a TT plug in... works for an airline....but not for a nation. Sorry... Travel to Cambodia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, India, Sri Lanka....there are smiles there....and genuine!

Uh okay Alan, but do you agree that it's just becoming more visible due to an increase in social media?

In the past these incidents tended not to become circulated the way they do now- so our perception becomes that it's an increasingly dangerous place, where really it's just our awareness of what was already there has increased.

I think part of the perception of crime or violence going up is because of the news and internet. That being said it actually is on the increase. Thailand has a big problem with meth and you can see the symptoms of this horrible drug in the west as well.

Edited by anotheruser

Not sure that the the society and culture are really ready for the modernized, Westernized 21st Century.

From centuries of toiling in fields and jungles to the modern 21st Westernized World in one to two generations.

There's definitely a clash between the two - modern Westernized World and Thai feudal jungle culture/field ploughing society.

The modern, westernized World came too quickly for their culture and society.

Anger and deadly violence over nothing (as viewed in our modern Westernized society) is just their true culture and society shining through on PC monitors, TV's and Smartphones around the World.

The more of the modern World that they see, the angrier they feel.

Edited by Happy Grumpy

whistling.gif Yes, and in my opinion it is caused by the deteriorating gap between the economic expectations for the average Thai worker (as painted by advertising on television and in the newspapers) and the daily economic reality experienced by the average Thai worker.

More Thais carry a higher load of personal debt today than ever before, they owe money to support their "westernized" life style than they did in years past.

This provides more psychological worry and stress in their lives.....which sometimes erupts in violence due to their frustration between their perceived expectations and the reality of their lives.

I came here to Thailand for the first time in 1977, and though the Thai workers were less well off then, they seemed happier then.

Od course that is always a personal opinion, but that is what I am seeing based on my 40 years of observations in The urban areas of Thailand

The frustration and outright anger is highest in the cities and urbanized areas, as that is where the difference between perceived expectations and the daily reality is most often experienced by the average person.

I am in my 70's now, and don't expect to b around in another decade or so......when the riots start to happen....but you younger people will br.

Just a prediction.

I disagree, they have a choice especially re personal debt and make the wrong one, when I was young early 80's ( 18) there were lots of things I wanted and when young you "really" want them, but I got off my ass and worked hard for them including clearing snow off peoples drives when it snowed to earn some extra money as well as a full time job and another weekend separate job.

If I couldnt afford it I didnt buy it and i didnt buy it unless id saved hard to get it. Peer pressure I ignored many are too "weak" to do that when young.

I remember saving for 18 months to buy a new Suzuki 750 motorbike in cash for £1700, I scraped every penny to get that................of course its' not the Thai "easy way" and credit is too easily available here like many other countries now.

You are very uninformed. The fact is that this phenomena is vastly increasing world-wide as the pressure of life is becoming unbearable for the 99% of non-elite. To say its normal is totally wrong (and dangerous for unsuspecting visitors), and Im surprised that so many equally ill-informed people agreed with you. However, I do agree that it is becoming more visible as taking a video of an atrocity is seen as "popular and cool and funny" rather than intervening as an individual/group/community as it detracts from the enjoyment of watching an innocent family being brutally mugged. But, more importantly, changing the culture of many Thais of being so aggressive and hateful toward innocent foreigners is necessary. As long as the culture of corruption (both financial and moral) prevail in Thailand the problem will never be solved. Clearly as there has been a very long hideous history of this in Thailand, I can only surmise that many Thais (particularly the authorities) just don't care and probably get off on it.

The best way to make your point invalid is to add a statistic that obviously makes no sense. The pressure is too great for 99% of the population? If it is unbearable, then what do they do exactly? They 99% fight among themselves? The 99% all attack the 1%?

Last year I had a friend who made the mistake of keeping a Thai guy from bashing his own g/f - wife even more. And my Swedish friend got bashed ... and alcohol was involved. Intervening in domestic disputes is not a good idea.

About last October, a friend of mine moved a sign about 1/2 meter to park his g/f's car at a public park. This sign marked off parking spots for Samlor Tuk Tuk's. Six of the drivers immediately surround him and started a verbal barrage. My friend speaks Thai quite well and understood the threats being yelled at him and tried to calm them down. Then at full speed a guy with a big traffic cone jumped through the six guys and bashed my friend on the head with the hard plastic edge. This cut a 4-5 inch gash down to his skull and blood spurted everywhere. Well the hot headed drivers made a mistake. My friend is martial arts trained and the whack on his head did not phase him - only pissed him off. He then was attacked by the drivers one after another - with Muay Thai kicks ... My friend just grabbed their leg - then their throat and choked them out - put a thumb in the eyes of two of them and he then bashed their heads on a passing taxi and song taew. Three were down and my friend challenged the rest - they backed off. I was witness to this as I was running across the park and car park to get to him and calm him down. Police came -- several were arrested after they got out of the emergency room. They were later fined and given suspended sentences ... My friend was paid 20K baht for his medical bills - collected from the drivers by the Phuyaiban and the town attorney... Amazing Thailand.

Seems like a lot of trouble for a parking space.

A different place, a different day, different cops, a different weapon, a different Phuyaiban, and we may be reading about your deceased friend, or your friend in prison.

Sometimes I'm glad that mopping the streets with a bunch of thugs isn't even an option for me. I'd just have to find a different place to park. I can live with the shame.

My friend had no intention of disturbing anyone -- the movement of the sign did not displace even 1/10 of a parking space. No driver was displaced. My friend attempted in as calm a manner as possible to talk through the problem. But he had no choice but to fight back - he was viciously attacked just like the folks in Hua Hin ... You seem to have the odd take of the story that my friend intentionally went out looking for trouble. He has been in Thailand for 16 years - speaks Thai near native and was trying to defuse the situation. Your take that he was a foolish fist slinging cowboy is way off base. He had no choice but to fight his way out of it ... they had him surrounded and would not let him leave... Good Grief - all the keyboard know it alls --- you weren't there...

I am not saying what your friend did was wrong but it may not have been the best option. If he speaks fluent Thai and knew what the cones were for, then it probably would have been a better idea to just politely ask the taxi drivers if he could move the cone to park.

I know Thailand since quite a while, and definitely, long before i read about "attacks" (witch i don't read all the time), let's say since 2-3 years, i experiment more "attitude" or verbal violence, or disrespect to be precise. From mini-van drivers, from owner of small shop, from owner of condo, from any level so.

I am definitely not the kind of guy loocking for confrontation, but i respond to direspect, verbally. It never went further. And well i'm use to travel and to not have physical fight.

But seriously before let's say 2013 around, i could not remember more than let's say 2 incidents ! In 10 years ! Since then, and i did not change my ways, well i can count almost 10 incidents.

Somehow same same but different tongue.png with the driving. It doesn't improve, on the contrary, imo, more and more disrespect, or attitude, or kind of violent misconduct...

I just had a incident today. I went to a beach, by a small path, not private, i used since 3 months. It's on the side of a small bar. A guy came to me, speaking Thaï, when i was just going to the beach , not trespassing the bar in any way. After he called a another guy speaking english, telling me the first was the owner of the land, and that i had to go since i was not a customer. Again, it was on a side of a bar, at the end of a not private path. I say a few "sorry what ?" expressing my surprise, and, leaving, i told the second guy to tell the first how nice he was, being sarcastic of course, but all the way polite. Then what the f.. ?! The first guy came to me when i went on my motorcycle, filming with his phone obviously, staying in front of me. I got pissed off there. I asked him what he was doing, and to stop. Then i talk with the english-speaking guy, about calling the touristic police, and asking the name of the owner. And period...

The owner was very, very disrepectfull, and i could uncerstand he was talking with disrespect about me to the other guy, in Thaï.

No big deal, just pissed me off by his attitude. First i think he was wrong, since i was not on the properties of the bar. And what the problem anyway he had with me going to the beach ? Just rude. And all his attitude.

It's in Khao Lak, Bang Sak, and the owner is (according to the other guy) the owner of the Manathai resort too. NICE GUY laugh.png Seriously...

Well 99% of the people i met are really nice, polite, but this kind of incident happens more and more, for no reason. Thailand is changing i would say, taking a wrong way tongue.png With more Thais not even making any smile, witch has always been just a apparence, but at least polite, nice, and respectfull.

Where will it goes ? Well, not sure i want to stay the next years to see. Times looks like not the best in Thailand i would say.

Have to say never seen bad violent behavior where ever I've traveled in Thailand only bad manners mainly.

Friends & family that ask me about coming to Thailand if their concerned about certain things they are told, I just say stay away from Bangkok, and places like Pattaya & Phuket and now Hua Hin, come straight to me and we will sort your trip. smile.png

Going on that post,you would of been better to advise them not to come.....if they were true friends.

The friends or acquaintances that have concerns have gone as far field as Spain and haven't ventured further. laugh.png

I stand by my post when asked for advice, my true friends and family come to see me. smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Last year I had a friend who made the mistake of keeping a Thai guy from bashing his own g/f - wife even more. And my Swedish friend got bashed ... and alcohol was involved. Intervening in domestic disputes is not a good idea.

About last October, a friend of mine moved a sign about 1/2 meter to park his g/f's car at a public park. This sign marked off parking spots for Samlor Tuk Tuk's. Six of the drivers immediately surround him and started a verbal barrage. My friend speaks Thai quite well and understood the threats being yelled at him and tried to calm them down. Then at full speed a guy with a big traffic cone jumped through the six guys and bashed my friend on the head with the hard plastic edge. This cut a 4-5 inch gash down to his skull and blood spurted everywhere. Well the hot headed drivers made a mistake. My friend is martial arts trained and the whack on his head did not phase him - only pissed him off. He then was attacked by the drivers one after another - with Muay Thai kicks ... My friend just grabbed their leg - then their throat and choked them out - put a thumb in the eyes of two of them and he then bashed their heads on a passing taxi and song taew. Three were down and my friend challenged the rest - they backed off. I was witness to this as I was running across the park and car park to get to him and calm him down. Police came -- several were arrested after they got out of the emergency room. They were later fined and given suspended sentences ... My friend was paid 20K baht for his medical bills - collected from the drivers by the Phuyaiban and the town attorney... Amazing Thailand.

Seems like a lot of trouble for a parking space.

A different place, a different day, different cops, a different weapon, a different Phuyaiban, and we may be reading about your deceased friend, or your friend in prison.

Sometimes I'm glad that mopping the streets with a bunch of thugs isn't even an option for me. I'd just have to find a different place to park. I can live with the shame.

My friend had no intention of disturbing anyone -- the movement of the sign did not displace even 1/10 of a parking space. No driver was displaced. My friend attempted in as calm a manner as possible to talk through the problem. But he had no choice but to fight back - he was viciously attacked just like the folks in Hua Hin ... You seem to have the odd take of the story that my friend intentionally went out looking for trouble. He has been in Thailand for 16 years - speaks Thai near native and was trying to defuse the situation. Your take that he was a foolish fist slinging cowboy is way off base. He had no choice but to fight his way out of it ... they had him surrounded and would not let him leave... Good Grief - all the keyboard know it alls --- you weren't there...

i read a similar story did happen few years ago in phuket. A french guy did park his car. He was going to the beach with his wife, kids and family in law.

When suddenly a thai with a steel pipe jumped from nowhere, and start beating him, the french guy suffered heavily injuries. Apparently the parking space was only for taxi mafia...

You are very uninformed. The fact is that this phenomena is vastly increasing world-wide as the pressure of life is becoming unbearable for the 99% of non-elite.

How is pressure of life becoming unbearable?

And that's a situation which seems to happen all too often.

Question. What would you do if someone threatened you with an iron bar, one to one, say in a road rage incident?

Jump out the car and start waving my arms around?

Stay in the car and lay-on the horn?

Start filming?

Drive away?

That's a tough one.

And that's a situation which seems to happen all too often.

Question. What would you do if someone threatened you with an iron bar, one to one, say in a road rage incident?

Difficult one !! Depends on what you are, who you are, who you are with. rolleyes.gif

Not proud in saying been in a lot brawls in my time but would try to calm it all down with apologies first if it was my fault.

If it's one of those situations where both are blaming each other. I'm just being devils advocate as most Thai drivers do carry a weapon in the vehicle. I just see myself in a situation one day, and not because I'm asking for it.

To be honest if someone started threatening me with a bar, or worse kicked and damaged my car..I might react

Edited by Cook my sock