Why Build a Terminal 21 in Pattaya? by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

The future of Pattaya beach road is a 3km long mall, with the "beach" eroded to a 5cm strip with a couple of grainns of sand in it. Hooters will stretch the entire length on the rooftops, offering chicken wings at mere 2000b each for the Thai Elite Visa holders only. Enjoy!

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif lol.....

• Like 1

If this will happen then my prediction is: Good bye Big C Robinson and Good bye Harbour Mall. One is too old and out of time and the other one is too small comparing with the Cental Festival or the Terminal 21. Only the old Mike Shopping Malls will survive because they got cheap stuff. The right place to shop for the Chinese groups.

North Pattaya and especially Wongamat Beach is more up market and where the high-so Thais have their condos and the better 5 star hotels and resorts are so I'd say this mall is needed for them.

A bit different type of mall I believe.

Also the Chinese Tourist doesn't spend much money on entertainment or eating in fancy places, but they do spend money. Most of it on shopping for hard to get items. With the expected increase in Chinese Tourism their I would expect and increase in shopping to.

Also the Chinese Tourist doesn't spend much money on entertainment or eating in fancy places, but they do spend money. Most of it on shopping for hard to get items. With the expected increase in Chinese Tourism their I would expect and increase in shopping to.

The Chinese tourists may not dine at Bruno's or high-end Western food places. But I do they they spend a lot for their favorite seafoods.

I go to Terminal 21 in Bangkok fairly regularly, and like it as a mall. It's not too bog, and not too small. It attracts large numbers of Chinese tourists, often arriving in coaches. I assume it forms part of their "tour". I guess the same will happen at Terminal 21 in Pattaya.

my main worry is traffic.

Pattaya's roads are already heavily congested at peak hours and the situation will soon become totally unbearable when all the new condo buildings will be finished, as well as the new malls.

I think it's a terrible idea. Pattaya has plenty of malls. I liked the KISS restaurants and will miss it.

And I bet room prices in the Palm Garden also skyrocket dammit ...

The whole of Pattaya needs a traffic management plan now. Then a few more shopping centres might work. It would be nice for the shopper to go into a nice, new big air conditioned shopping centre with lots of comfy places to sit around and enjoy the air con, look at the Prada and Rolex shop windows, and maybe buy some popcorn while watching the Chinese tour groups be herded past.

Yes, great idea.

• Like 1

I dont know about most people only friends like us who live on the outskirts , we have all but given up going into Pattaya at weekends ,its a nightmare of traffic , so go ahead build another mall , build 2 shame it is becoming harder and harder to actually get to visit them .

Maybe we Pattayans should make it a point to visit and shop in Bangkok on weekends, while all the Bankokians are in Pattaya. Traffic is usually pretty light in Bangkok on Saturdays and Sundays. ?

• Like 2

The mere thought of the new mall has already caused another outbreak of TVF Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS). It has five stages:

• Puzzlement
  • Disbelief; "no need"
  • Derision; doom prediction
  • Hate (disappointment)
  • Acceptance.

It would be helpful to understand the inadequacy of the "my eyeballs at several random intervals didn't see every shop packed" measure of economic success. This may be an insurmountable hurdle, however. Following that, so many of our members are still confounded at how CentralFestival Pattaya Beach even stays open, when in fact it's been a big success. Many of our near-sighted members can't even see any Chinese in there . . . yet the financial reports of Central Pattana PLC offer hard evidence, not the usual coin of our realm: anecdotes.

Well said.

I find it difficult to grasp why so many TV posters pour scorn, doom and gloom on just about anything Thai related, as for Pattaya I imagine most don't live here, wished they did, used to and have now had to move up country and are stuck in a village, I live in Wong Amat very close to the proposed Mall and think it'll be a great addition to Pattaya.

Edited by Broken Record
  • Like 1

The mere thought of the new mall has already caused another outbreak of TVF Poster New Construction Syndrome (TVFPNCS). It has five stages:

• Puzzlement
  • Disbelief; "no need"
  • Hate (disappointment)
  • Acceptance.
It would be helpful to understand the inadequacy of the "my eyeballs at several random intervals didn't see every shop packed" measure of economic success. This may be an insurmountable hurdle, however. Following that, so many of our members are still confounded at how CentralFestival Pattaya Beach even stays open, when in fact it's been a big success. Many of our near-sighted members can't even see any Chinese in there . . . yet the financial reports of Central Pattana PLC offer hard evidence, not the usual coin of our realm: anecdotes.
Well said.

I find it difficult to grasp why so many TV posters pour scorn, doom and gloom on just about anything Thai related, as for Pattaya I imagine most don't live here, wished they did, used to and have now had to move up country and are stuck in a village, I live in Wong Amat very close to the proposed Mall and think it'll be a great addition to Pattaya.

It's not the malls,don't you get it Pattaya just does not have the infrastructure,its becoming very hard to get around
  • Like 1

The whole of Pattaya needs a traffic management plan now. Then a few more shopping centres might work. It would be nice for the shopper to go into a nice, new big air conditioned shopping centre with lots of comfy places to sit around and enjoy the air con, look at the Prada and Rolex shop windows, and maybe buy some popcorn while watching the Chinese tour groups be herded past.

Yes, great idea.

I'm not sure if they build shopping malls for the purpose that you describe.

It's called cheap Charley drooling.

• Puzzlement
  • Disbelief; "no need"
  • Hate (disappointment)
  • Acceptance.
Well said.

It's not the malls,don't you get it Pattaya just does not have the infrastructure,its becoming very hard to get around

I hear you, Pattaya traffic can be horrendous.

I think it's a terrible idea. Pattaya has plenty of malls. I liked the KISS restaurants and will miss it.

There are 3 more KISS places.

Kiss only moved a very short distance away... Just opposite Naklua Soi 18... 5 minutes walk.

• Like 1

There are 3 more KISS places.

Kiss only moved a very short distance away... Just opposite Naklua Soi 18... 5 minutes walk.

And very spacious it is too, was in there yesterday, right next to the excellent Coffee Club.

" With the expected increase in Chinese Tourism their I would expect and increase in shopping to. "

but what happens if these expectations don't materialise down the track? Just asking

who will be the replacement for the Chinese?

chinas debt climbs to $25 trillion which is 237% of GDP

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/macroeconomic-roundup-china-debt-climbs-us25-trillion-nr-188350

• Like 1

The Avenue shop cinema complex is virtually empty most days, seems strange to build a new shopping centre when the existing ones are very under used.

The Avenue isn't "ones."

You're in the typical "no need" phase. :)

• Like 1

" With the expected increase in Chinese Tourism their I would expect and increase in shopping to. "

but what happens if these expectations don't materialise down the track? Just asking

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/macroeconomic-roundup-china-debt-climbs-us25-trillion-nr-188350

Just In Case Fallacy

Terminal 21 may be just the thing to raise Pattays image , could also be a monumental flop.

There is also the recently opened Harbor Mall so I am thinking Pattaya is saturated as far as Malls are concerned.

It will become competition between them.

There is also the matter of infrastructure... the roads in Pattaya are already choked up... I do not see there being enough customers to warrant all this shopping. Much is being made of the increasing Chinese Market but they are not big spenders, but looky-loos who actually deter other customers,

So to add to the Mall saturation in Pattaya :In addition to Terminal 21 , Harbor Mall , there is

" The Bay : on Beach rd @ Soi 6 & Soi 5 ( where there has not been any new work for about 2 weeks ?)

And from the link; 'There are those that believe it will be good for Pattaya

and others think it will result in many businesses being forced to close. '

Just because Pattaya is becoming Bangkok by the Bay, it does not necessarily follow that all this excessive over development is going to have enough customer support.

If these developers are banking on the masses of Chinese and masses of Thais that are jamming the roads in Pattaya every day to make it - they are dreaming.

I had had some doubts before, but now, on the basis of your forecasting track record, we can all rest assured that Terminal 21 will indeed be a success. :) Perfect time to invest in Siam Retail Development Co.--if only it were public! Darn! Maybe nearby property will be a good play.

• Puzzlement
  • Disbelief; "no need"
  • Hate (disappointment)
  • Acceptance.

Brilliant.

OB

Just In Case Fallacy

Yeah yeah a very predictable JSixpack response but you didn’t answer the question because you can’t? tongue.png It’s well past the stage of being a fallacy.

In fact I’m so negative about the future performance of all these shopping centres ( because the worldwide credit consumption binge has well and truly run its course) that if there was a way to financially “ short “ them I would go in boots and all.

• Like 1

The Avenue shop cinema complex is virtually empty most days, seems strange to build a new shopping centre when the existing ones are very under used.

The Avenue isn't "ones."

You're in the typical "no need" phase. :)

There has been threads about Central Festival being empty and under used also.
  • Like 2