Can You Pass for a Proper Brit?

Can i be as ignorant as to ask what pukka stands for/means?facepalm.gif

genuine/good quality (they have such f&c outside of Manchester asw.)

Maybe i should of guessed this!.....In Aus...we call it tukka ...ie good food

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Na -----------Tukka is some sort of mess which Aussies believe to be good food!

Na -----------Tukka is some sort of mess which Aussies believe to be good food!

LOL....I think your right!......Seen a few movies where aussies are sitting around an outdoor fire,eating god knows whatburp.gif

The problem here is that the questioner cannot speak/write British English. So you are wondering what on earth these Americans actually mean to ask? I did get 10!!

Could think of some better questions if I could be bothered to put my mind to it. What is a dog and bone? What is a haggis? What is a faggot? Who is a queen? How do you say tomato? What is a boot? You can go on!! Not really to do with being a Brit; just how well you speak English.

It is a word of Hindi/Urdu origin. Meant ripe. Now just used in slang for better than usual good quality

Not too shabby!

You scored 8 out of 10.

You’re a Londoner, mate! You are happy to spell "flavour" and "colour" with that extra "u" and you’d blend right in on a morning commute on the Tube. Check your mail for that invite from Will, Kate and baby George to take high tea with Her Majesty the Queen.

It's fun to pass for stuff.

Also, it's really a test of how well you know American English and "standard" British English if you're a Brit. Because maybe the Americans don't realise how many different dialects are being spoken in the UK. That test maybe reflects the dialect spoken in the SE of England. There are many terms spoken in other areas of the UK which are unfamiliar to people in the SE of England.

The surgery question is a case in point. Not everyone in the UK would say that. Some may say "GP" other just "the doctors" (or t'doctors). I am sure there are many slang terms across the country for this as well.

8/10

2 teachers 4 blue eyed children, £10 ticket, aussie here we come.

as the bloke in london who gave him the approval, said to dad, 'good onya, we are getting to many <deleted> and dagoes coming'

50 years later, not much has improved.

Silly test, 10/10. Though the one about going to the doctors/GP confused me and was a bit of a guess.

Seems more like "do you speak proper English or Yanks English?" test to me. Seeing we learn British English as a second language here, most of the British words were common to me were as some of the American words were totally alien to me. The vegetable question was easy, with proper names as the answer and very silly words in the question. An Eggplant? Are you kidding me?!! 555

I got 10/10 but it was a bit backwards since I understood the answers better than the questions!

Same here for atleast a few questions, very amusing.

Silly test, 10/10. Though the one about going to the doctors/GP confused me and was a bit of a guess.

Seems more like "do you speak proper English or Yanks English?" test to me. Seeing we learn British English as a second language here, most of the British words were common to me were as some of the American words were totally alien to me. The vegetable question was easy, with proper names as the answer and very silly words in the question. An Eggplant? Are you kidding me?!! 555

I got 10/10 but it was a bit backwards since I understood the answers better than the questions!

post-258480-0-39904900-1462595345_thumb.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1462529445879.jpg

there's always one isn't there!!!!smile.png

Zucchini! What's Zucchini? There ain't no stinking British word Zucchini! 9/10. And that whole portered flat thingy was dodgy, went right over my head, and yeah, they ain't no real fish and chips, not like you get down near Soi Cowboy. I think I'll sit down and have a nice cup of tea.

Scored 9/10, and agree with others re that surgery question ... needs rewriting that one, me ole cocker.

Ridiculous concept - national ID test based on 10 questions, or any number of questions, or any other means of testing.

A nation is the product of the sum total and inter influence of its population, and the "calculation" is not a simple maths rule based linear one. Tests like these might be fun, but if taken seriously become the thin end of the wedge of forced narrow conformity, impinge on freedom and kill off social evolution. Take that you mindless bureaucrats! Hurrah for the people!

Are you taking note Kim?

Archived