Drafting body believes draft charter will pass referendum

webfact

Drafting body believes draft charter will pass referendum

BANGKOK, 2 May 2016 (NNT) – The Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC) strongly believes the draft charter will be accepted by the majority of people.

CDC spokesperson Dr. Amorn Wanichwiwatana said today the drafting team is fully ready to explain in detail the contents of the draft constitution to the general public. At this stage, he said the team doesn't have any worries in regard to the draft.

As the referendum is approaching, he said the public has been more enthusiastic about the draft and what is expected to occur after the referendum.

In terms of the additional question, Dr. Amorn said it is the National Legislative Assembly's (NLA) duty to inform and explain the question to the public.

Lastly, he expressed confidence that the draft will pass the referendum. He believes if the people vote to accept it, the new constitution will bring benefits and prosperity to the people and the country as a whole.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-02 footer_n.gif

Will bring benefits for the élites minority not the majority.and the election will not be fair according to many Thais I talked to.the results are already known.

Edited by Raymonddiaz

This article, particularly the last paragraph, appears to violate the law. It incites people to vote for or against the Charter.

The officers of the NNT and Dr Amorn of the CDC should be arrested by the military and taken for questioning.

I wonder who is behind this trouble making?

Edited by phoenixdoglover

So how have the Thai public been informed about the details of this draft charter? Are there TV programmes which explain each question of the draft? Or is it a situation where the general public are being kept in the dark about what the draft actually means?

(Is there an online English translation of the proposed draft charter available?)

There was a poll in another newspaper that said only 35 percent agreed with it. Even if the votes come up 51 percent in favour, it would clearly not be the choice of at least half the population. Therefore, for the charter to be fully legitimate, it really needs to have an overwhelming majority. Anywhere from 75 to 80 percent in favour would consolidate the will of the people. Anything less than 75 percent would

(eventually )most likely force the country to go through all this again under the semi elected government.

There was a poll in another newspaper that said only 35 percent agreed with it. Even if the votes come up 51 percent in favour, it would clearly not be the choice of at least half the population. Therefore, for the charter to be fully legitimate, it really needs to have an overwhelming majority. Anywhere from 75 to 80 percent in favour would consolidate the will of the people. Anything less than 75 percent would

(eventually )most likely force the country to go through all this again under the semi elected government.

Originally it was said that a majority of eligible voters would be required. That was changed to a majority of votes cast. So if only 50% cast votes - and the rural vote will be easier to suppress - then in theory 25% of the eligible voters could pass this charter. Obviously not good for reconciliation, but I doubt that it really a goal.

I can't see the Junta/Five Rivers continuing with the scheduled referendum unless they are certain they can control the outcome.

75% of either eligible or cast votes would be ideal, but there is obviously little chance the charter would pass so that option is not under consideration.

It will be the interest of the country for the major political parties to tell their supporters to come out and vote. It got to be more than the 58% turnout for the previous '07 referendum for a true reflection of the people sentiment. This time there are more at stake and a watershed point for Thailand democracy.

the public has been more enthusiastic about the draft and what is expected to occur after the referendum.

I'd say the public has been more anguished about the draft and fear what will occur after a failed referendum.

Good luck thailand .

This year is going to have more historical significance than any other year in thailands entire history since 1932.

I have a Thai son, that is not able to choose his future.

Please choose wisely for the future generations.

This article, particularly the last paragraph, appears to violate the law. It incites people to vote for or against the Charter.

The officers of the NNT and Dr Amorn of the CDC should be arrested by the military and taken for questioning.

appear to violate the law

DPM Prawit on April 25th : "Public announcements in support of or against the draft constitution through the media is not permissible"

"individual citizens must use their own discretion to decided how to vote."

It will be EC's decision whether to bring suit against the officers of NNT and Dr. Amorn for violation of the Referendum Act. But considering EC's delay on taking any action against former Democrat deputy PM and chairman of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee Foundation Suthep for his recent public announcement supporting the draft, inaction is probably the expectation.

I believe he said "I believe". Of course to some that's already enough to raise one's blood pressure.

Luckily you're not in Thailand writing your posts. I need to be more careful.

Originally it was said that a majority of eligible voters would be required. That was changed to a majority of votes cast. So if only 50% cast votes - and the rural vote will be easier to suppress - then in theory 25% of the eligible voters could pass this charter. Obviously not good for reconciliation, but I doubt that it really a goal.

I can't see the Junta/Five Rivers continuing with the scheduled referendum unless they are certain they can control the outcome.

75% of either eligible or cast votes would be ideal, but there is obviously little chance the charter would pass so that option is not under consideration.

Maybe we should follow the same procedure we had with the 1997 People's Constitution. Anyone who remembers how that came to be ?

appear to violate the law

DPM Prawit on April 25th : "Public announcements in support of or against the draft constitution through the media is not permissible"

"individual citizens must use their own discretion to decided how to vote."

It will be EC's decision whether to bring suit against the officers of NNT and Dr. Amorn for violation of the Referendum Act. But considering EC's delay on taking any action against former Democrat deputy PM and chairman of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee Foundation Suthep for his recent public announcement supporting the draft, inaction is probably the expectation.

Hypocrisy is still allowed

Just asked the wife and her brother how they might vote.

All together now..."Vote for what?"

Not sure if that was ignorance of a coming referendum or a biting satirical comment.

Sometimes I get so confused here.