PM Prayut warns public on tropical storm danger

webfact

PM warns public on tropical storm danger

BANGKOK, 2 May 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has expressed concern over the severity of tropical storms expected in many areas of Thailand in coming days and has urged officials to deliver assistance to the affected public, says a government spokesman.

The Government Spokesman, Maj Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd, has revealed the Prime Minister, Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, is concerned about people residing in 39 provinces of the north, northeastern, central, and eastern regions of Thailand, which may be affected by the severity of tropical thunderstorms expected to occur in the next 1-2 days.

Potential damage from the storms could include roofs of houses being destroyed, and the hazard of fallen electric posts or trees. Government officials and the military have been urged to provide aid to the affected public by distributing survival kits and to help in the repair of damaged houses.

The general public is encouraged to stay indoors during the storms, and to refrain from being near large trees, billboards, buildings or new constructions which are not structurally sound.

The government spokesman added that the rainfall during this period has brought some relief from the heat. However, rainwater could not be retained as the rainfall had occurred in areas below the dams.

He also said that weather conditions are now suitable for rainmaking operations. The Prime Minister has therefore ordered rainmaking units to operate in areas above the dams to boost precipitation levels and increase the amount of water collected in dams. This supply could then be allocated for drinking water and tap water. This would help relieve the public's hardship in dealing with the recent lack of water.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-02 footer_n.gif

"He also said that weather conditions are now suitable for rainmaking operations."

Seriously? It's the beginning of the rain season now. Nevermind, they made it rain! Thank you! Incredible work!

I also learned that water collected behind dams can be used for drinking water AND tap water. This was very useful information, as I had never considered that a reservoir could be used as a water supply.

We are fortunate to have such insightful leaders in Thailand.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Very inconsiderate and selective of the rain to fall in those parts of the country where it can't flow uphill to the dams. Perhaps dam location along with catchment areas need to be reconsidered. Or alternatively government grants to promote traditional Thai raindances might help.

I find it strange that every poster so far on this thread has absolutley nothing to contribute, just a lot of stupid childish ramblings, you people need to get out more, go for a long walk on a beach somewhere and chill out

Thanks, Smedly, I'm back from my walk and feel much better now. Do you not understand how hard it is to be enthusiastic about a pompous ass? Well, no, maybe you don't.

Anyway, my Ha'penny worth concerns " billboards, buildings or new constructions which are not structurally sound."

Dear PM. please consider that it is wiser to have mechanisms to stop these dangerous constructions being built than it is to try to prevent people being underneath them when they fall down.

After all, the only places in your country where you are not near billboards, buildings or new constructions which are not structurally sound, are places with large trees so your advice is tough to follow. Even at home many of us are in buildings or (new) constructions which are not structurally sound, as you will discover when the 1000 year earthquake comes around.

A tropical storm can be dangerous! Duhh! Thanks chief I'll be careful. Knowledge equals power.

In English the term "tropical storm" has meaning. It's a lot more severe than high winds and heavy rain. Doesn't he have any Air Force generals in his entourage? Pilots have to have at least a rudimentary knowledge of meteorology. Heck, I even learned a little bit as a Civil Air Patrol Cadet 65 years ago. Somebody should warn his PR staff that there's a dangerous lunatic over at the Thai Meteorology Department handing out confused and misleading press releases. (OK, OK, I'm over the top with that "dangerous lunatic," but, seriously, Thai Met have had a really bad spokesperson for the last couple of years).

Thank for the insight

Isn't it strange he can find time to comment on some seemingly insignificant things BUT not others?!

It was the Prime Minister's Office that made this gobsmacking comment just the other day.

Referring to the bashing incident that took place at Hua Hin Mom Luang Panatda Ditsakul of the Prime Ministers office, had described the incident as a nightmare for the image of the country. No comment at what the Prime Minister's office might do in the interests of law and order.

I find it strange that every poster so far on this thread has absolutley nothing to contribute, just a lot of stupid childish ramblings, you people need to get out more, go for a long walk on a beach somewhere and chill out

And YOU need to remember - THIS IS THE INTERNET! No filters, no requirements other than a connection to the web. C'mon, have some fun. Take a spiritual dump and/or get a bj.

The PM can find time to comment on the weather yet his silence if deafening regarding the events in Hua Hin recently...............wonder why whistling.gif

Incorrect the PM's office has made a statement. Not quite the one everyone was expecting and hoping for but a comment nonetheless. Refer to my post two posts back from your post.

I certainly am not going to risk going outside given the impending danger presented by tropical storms.

I certainly am not going to risk going outside given the impending danger presented by tropical storms.

have you got a shovel ? can you gather up all the keyboard wariors on this thread start digging and I'll tell you when to stop, it will take a while - you might need big machines