Why is milk so popular in Thailand?

Hal65

So not only is it expensive , soja milk is cheaper and tastier....but milk spoils very quickly once opened , even in refrigerators which most Thai don't have . Soja milk has calcium too.

I presume that you've never been to Thailand. Things really aren't the same now as in the movie "The King and I" or "Bridge Over the River Kwai". We don't all ride elephants and live in houses on stilts whilst defecating in the nearest paddy field.

(1) Soy milk is 137 baht/946 ml, Natura-A Soy brand, price from Big C; Dutch Mill Selected Pasteurized Milk is 43 baht/830ml (Tesco Lotus). So no, soya milk is not cheaper.

(2) Milk here does not spoil very quickly. It's good for 5-7 days after opening, kept in a refrigerator.

(3) 84.5% of Thai households own a refrigerator. So no, most Thais do have a refrigerator. (Source: http://web.nso.go.th/en/census/poph/data/090913_MajorFindings_10.pdf ).

(4) And as for "Soja (sic) milk has calcium too", 1 cup of soy milk contains 6% of the RDA for calcium - a negligible amount; 1 cup of cow milk contains 30% of the RDA. (Source: Wikipedia via Google.) It's also worth mentioning that the calcium in soy milk is an added chemical; in cow milk it's natural.

Four gross factual errors in 32 words. Impressive.

So not only is it expensive , soja milk is cheaper and tastier....but milk spoils very quickly once opened , even in refrigerators which most Thai don't have . Soja milk has calcium too.

I presume that you've never been to Thailand. Things really aren't the same now as in the movie "The King and I" or "Bridge Over the River Kwai". We don't all ride elephants and live in houses on stilts whilst defecating in the nearest paddy field.

(1) Soy milk is 137 baht/946 ml, Natura-A Soy brand, price from Big C; Dutch Mill Selected Pasteurized Milk is 43 baht/830ml (Tesco Lotus). So no, soya milk is not cheaper.

(2) Milk here does not spoil very quickly. It's good for 5-7 days after opening, kept in a refrigerator.

(3) 84.5% of Thai households own a refrigerator. So no, most Thais do have a refrigerator. (Source: http://web.nso.go.th/en/census/poph/data/090913_MajorFindings_10.pdf ).

(4) And as for "Soja (sic) milk has calcium too", 1 cup of soy milk contains 6% of the RDA for calcium - a negligible amount; 1 cup of cow milk contains 30% of the RDA. (Source: Wikipedia via Google.) It's also worth mentioning that the calcium in soy milk is an added chemical; in cow milk it's natural.

TV forum: hub of disinformation as well as legit information.

Caveat Emptor

Edited by Fookhaht

They think it's going to make them tall, most of the population is lactose intolerant, they'll be burping and farting hydrogen if they drink it, that'll (ironically) interfere with the absorption of other foods, and they're probably getting a ton of calcium from canned fish anyway.

Where is milk actually coming from in Thailand?

Apart from the Chokchai farm you never hear about any dairy industry in Thailand.

That is changing fast there are many small scale dairy farmers in Prachuap province. With the drought and low commodity prices farmers have diversified and many have cows grazing in between palm trees and dry paddies.

You presumed wrong : coming up 9 years in Thailand , fully not enjoying the heat here up north.

I sometimes buy the little 6 pack soja milk , some have added calcium , yes not natural , but it's there for me bones. Big C Lactasoy 6x 300 ml 47 B.

When I drank milk , I often had it spoiled after 3 to 5 days because I forgot about it after I opened it.

Was surprised by the number of Thai that have a fridge . That is not so in my limited experience....

Most are not lactose intolerant from birth with is pretty lucky since there is lactose in breast milk but lactose intolerance can be developed over time if you don't drink milk, I rarely drank milk in 6 years in Thailand and as a result when I went home I had developed lactose intolerance.

You presumed wrong : coming up 9 years in Thailand , fully not enjoying the heat here up north.

9 years and you've observed so little. I'm really impressed by your open and honest admission of your ignorance about the country. Well done and congratulations.

most Thais don't know what is lactose tolerant or intolerant....so that has nothing to do with popularity of milk. Its popular everywhere because people are being told milk is good for you.

The same lack of knowledge applies to westerners, and so does the popularity of many products due to the psychological power of advertising. Anyone for a McDonald's, double burger with cheese, French fries and coke?

Most are not lactose intolerant from birth with is pretty lucky since there is lactose in breast milk but lactose intolerance can be developed over time if you don't drink milk, I rarely drank milk in 6 years in Thailand and as a result when I went home I had developed lactose intolerance.

Sorry, I meant to lick "Quote". I'm afraid this is a misunderstanding of what lactose intolerance is. Up to the age of five you've the enzyme to digest lactose. At five it turns off. This is a selective advantage because while you benefit from your mother's milk it's much more important for your younger siblings. Genetically you're worth two brothers, four uncles or eight cousins. So lactose intolerance is the normal state. It ensures that you eat food and leave the milk for the "half you" who are all around you: your brothers and sisters. This gene would spread.

Being able to drink milk beyond five is the absolute kit if there are cows around, however. The gene defect that allows this - the mutation - spread like wildfire in Ireland because four pints of clean fliud, 1600 kcals and a ton of protein (okay, sixty grams) made you a big strong boy.

The adaptation didn't take place by forcing the milk down the throats of the lactose intolerant, it took place through all the big milky types shagging each other and having more kids.

See Alice Roberts and "Are we still evolving?" Thailand has tremendous levels of lactose intolerance, as they chart shows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00z6zc7

Milk is regularly given out in schools - we get cartons to take home, so, maybe it is an encouraged habit.... that said, I never see my wife or family members drinking milk - so, not sure why it is considered popular - not sure i ever saw an adult drink milk...

Milk is only given out up to 6th grade, and yes, I was always given cartons of milk to take home.

Little milk drunk in the early days

There has been a huge surge in milk drinking in the 24 years I have been here.

The cappachino & Latte drinkers must have increased 20,000% in that time & the farang cereals are consumed on a regular basis