Police not behind video attack leak - incident a "nightmare" for the country, says PM office

It is the press release that has promted this action by authorities, I hope they get it into their heads that it is not the news that is wrecking Thailands image it is the incident itself and the fact that it was reported in an open and transparent way, efforts to hide these incidents from the public is actually more damaging IMO than the incident itself, there is a lesson to be learned - I hope they got it

You said it perfectly.clap2.gif

I still don't think they got it, though.tongue.png

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kamalarider summe it up..

There is evil here and it is aimed at foreigners..They dont actualy associate the Baht in their pocket that buys the shoes and the booze they buy with the Foreign visitors money.

Withhout the visitors these culprits would be still in Issan picking rice or making tyres.

The Media doesnnt even put that stuff out ..

In Europe it was a waiter a brickie a lorry driver a whatever ..

These kinda scum in Hau Hin or any tourist spot are proobably parasites living of tourists in some form.

Trust a Thai you could die.

16 years have past IN THIS. Place no Thai friend's The ones who acknowledge me gain from my ATM.

After being in Thailand a few years I've come to the conclusion that the Thais hate us. They seem to be always poised, waiting for an opportunity to give one of us a good kicking. Notice how quickly nearby Thais will jump into the fray and put a beating on a farang who is in an altercation with a Thai. There is no discussion of what the fight is about...it's just an immediate seen opportunity to kick the shit out of a farang and it's an opportunity not to be missed.

Keep your heads down folks and be safe out there.

If you come to that conclusion why don't you just leave ?

I have been here for 5 years and never been involved in any problems with Thais , except the normal overcharging at tourist places.

I stay calm and polite and I also smile back to Thais. Maybe that got something to do with it.

Edited by balo

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

I said it before and I say it again, you, me and no one else but the people involved and within hearing distance knows what transpired for the woman to slap the first guy in the face.

If you believe she did it without reason, up to you my friend.

There's NO excuse whatever transpired before or after the slap, to hit a Woman of any age or race and then kick her in the face, DON'T make up any excuses because there are NONE.

But the man she slapped did not kick her, that was some opportunist fresh into the melee. This was not a gang attack seen it written this " gang was looking to beat up foreigners.." What a load. The first Thai man acted with restraint, even tried to walk away she blocked him, slapped, pushed him, then he was held and punched, and he did not hit her until she AGAIN went out of her way to AGAIN confront him. it did knock her down, but not out-the kick from the opportunist did that.

NO way women who resort to violence should be immune to it. And would she have confronted, slapped a young drunk male in the crap part of a UK town? Probably not.

After being in Thailand a few years I've come to the conclusion that the Thais hate us. They seem to be always poised, waiting for an opportunity to give one of us a good kicking. Notice how quickly nearby Thais will jump into the fray and put a beating on a farang who is in an altercation with a Thai. There is no discussion of what the fight is about...it's just an immediate seen opportunity to kick the shit out of a farang and it's an opportunity not to be missed.

I have been here for 5 years and never been involved in any problems with Thais , except the normal overcharging at tourist places.

I stay calm and polite and I also smile back to Thais. Maybe that got something to do with it.

I'm not leaving because I have a Thai wife and baby here, so I am going to stay, but I will try to keep my head down and avoid confrontation.

For every racist here yelling about how "Thais go around looking to beat up foreigners" - you should educate yourself on psychopathy. Approximately 6% of the global population (or 1 in 100 people) are psychopaths. They lack a conscience, can easily commit unspeakable acts of crime or violence, and tend to associate or collaborate with other psychopaths (often in gangs, crime families, corporations or governments). They exist in every country and come from all cultural backgrounds and races. You could bump into one of them anywhere.

Learn how the psychopathic mind operates.

Learn how to identify them.

If visiting a foreign country learn about their culture and customs, including the negatives.

Show respect, don't be an ass.

Don't get too intoxicated in public.

Know how to de-escalate a situation or to walk away.

The debate about who escalated the conflict can go on and on. It's now down to the way the Police and various ministers are dealing with the fallout that is more disgraceful. It does seem like the leaking of the video is fast becoming more important to the authorities than the incident itself.

And so why wouldn't it be to a culture that values reputation above substance? You can assign your western value to that more, and find it deplorable, etc etc but that's a fact of the culture.

Tourism is a huge industry, of course officials are going to react with that in mind. Local ya yas have appeared at hospital, flowered contriteness applied liberally, now the matter of a diminished rep is the concern.

I'm not leaving because I have a Thai wife and baby here, so I am going to stay, but I will try to keep my head down and avoid confrontation.

You are going to stay? - even though by your own admission your wife hates you???

as in

"After being in Thailand a few years I've come to the conclusion that the Thais hate us"

Edited by Shadychris

You are going to stay? - even though by your own admission your wife hates you???

as in "After being in Thailand a few years I've come to the conclusion that the Thais hate us"

Everyone I ever married ended up hating me.

No need for them to be Thai!

Edited by BritManToo

Rather than closing bars early, how about suspending for one month without pay the cops that were supposedly on duty that night for not doing their duty? That would send a message to the non-performing police....

A nightmare for the country,.....how about for all the fearful tourists and expats who live here waiting for their own kick to the head ?

As long as you don't escalate stuff like they did the risks are not that high. The old lady hit a guy in his face before it all started and then her hubby helped her. Just because her son shoved a Thai and got shoved back.

They certainly did not help their case.. yes the violence in response was over the top and should be punished.. but they were certainly not innocent.

I said it before and I say it again, you, me and no one else but the people involved and within hearing distance knows what transpired for the woman to slap the first guy in the face.

There's NO excuse whatever transpired before or after the slap, to hit a Woman of any age or race and then kick her in the face, DON'T make up any excuses because there are NONE.

Why is everyone trying to defend this British tourist's. Nothing gave her the right to slap him in his face. Just like nothing gave the young turks the right to attacked the tourists. Is this common from British women to slap a man in his face? If I compare the chaos that happen quite often at soccer venues in Europe with this incident then the British tourist must first do a course in humanity before leaving Britain to go on holiday.This incident is unacceptable for other foreign tourists in Thailand.

Rather than closing bars early, how about suspending for one month without pay the cops that were supposedly on duty that night for not doing their duty? That would send a message to the non-performing police....

During Songkran no cops are really on duty. The whole system shuts down. As I stated somewhere else, I was on a bus heading down Phetkasem Road in BKK in Bang Khae, stopped in traffic and young thugs were dishing full buckets of water on passengers thru the windows, with cops standing around doing nothing. Songkran is sacred and they will not act. About the only good thing is they stop shaking people down for money that week out of respect for the tradition.

Edited by tonray

Why is everyone trying to defend this British tourist's. Nothing gave her the right to slap him in his face. Just like nothing gave the young turks the right to attacked the tourists. Is this common from British women to slap a man in his face? If I compare the chaos that happen quite often at soccer venues in Europe with this incident then the British tourist must first do a course in humanity before leaving Britain to go on holiday.This incident is unacceptable for other foreign tourists in Thailand.

So if a 65yr old lady slapped you,what would you do? Please include your age when you reply.

I was in HongKong last week and Singapore over the weekend, this story has had huge coverage in the South China news and the Singapore straights times new papers.. and rightly so!!!

The government needs to tackle the root cause of this dreadful incident... perhaps they should send a few senior police officers to Singapore to see how they would have dealt with this!!

I called my parents in the UK, on Skype, the other day & asked them if they'd heard about it. Both are retired & watch quite a lot of TV with Dad watching hours of news daily. Guess what? Neither of them had heard anything...

It's OK for TV members to post links to, mostly internet based, news articles but if the story is buried in the back pages or deep in the website, nobody will read it.

I am a 59 year old male and if a 65 year old female was to slap me on the face, I would slap her back twice as hard.

Well thanks for at least being truthful. Personally if the same were to happen to me,and I am a bit older than you,I would laugh it off as I've always been brought up to not physically hit a women. In my culture it's counted as not much different from being a coward. The exception to this rule is,if a women were to attack you and it could result in serious injury. But for a slapp,forget it. In case you're wondering,have I ever been slapped by a women, the answer is Yes. On a few occasion when I was much jounger ( 17-24 age group ) I was slapped by girls of the Same age,always after I'd decided to finish the relationship. Again did I attack them,certainly not.Just laughed and walked away.

Edited by nontabury

I am a 59 year old male and if a 65 year old female was to slap me on the face, I would slap her back twice as hard.

Yes, Mr Tough guy, but would you kick her in the head while she was trying to get up ?

No, I would not kick her in the face while she was trying to get up, but if a female was to resort to violence towards me then all her gender privileges go out the window.

Well thanks for at least being truthful. Personally if the same were to happen to me,and I am a bit older than you,I would laugh it off as I've always been brought up to not physically hit a women. In my culture it's counted as not much different from being a coward. The exception to this rule is,if a women were to attack you and it could result in serious injury. But for a slapp,forget it. In case you're wondering,have I ever been slapped by a women, the answer is Yes. On a few occasion when I was much jounger ( 17-24 age group ) I was slapped by girls of the Same age,always after I'd decided to finish the relationship. Again did I attack them,certainly not.Just laughed and walked away.

I would never strike a female first, but if a female was to resort to violence and strike first then all her gender privileges go out the window.

..................​and by the way I have never had the need to strike a female and hopefully never will.

Edited by stander

I would never strike a female first, but if a female was to resort to violence and strike first then all her gender privileges go out the window.

..................​and by the way I have never had the need to strike a female and hopefully never will.

Proportional response. Slap does not respond with punch in face. An old lady slapping you can not hurt enough to require a strong physical response. One can easily respond with words, shout or gesture. If needed, a simple shove would be enough.

Irregard, in the video, it is clear that these two individuals did not resort to physical violence as a means of replying to her action. They choose to do that because they WANTED to punch her or kick her, and felt this was a good/fun opportunity to do so.

First guy was probably thinking: Oh yeah, sucker punch her to the face *punch*

Second guy was probably thinking: Time to show her my muay thai moves. Headshot! *kick*

Neither was thinking:

Ow, she hit me! I need to hit her back to show her she can't just go around hitting people!

Proportional response. Slap does not respond with punch in face. An old lady slapping you can not hurt enough to require a strong physical response. One can easily respond with words, shout or gesture. If needed, a simple shove would be enough.

Irregard, in the video, it is clear that these two individuals did not resort to physical violence as a means of replying to her action. They choose to do that because they WANTED to punch her or kick her, and felt this was a good/fun opportunity to do so.

Second guy was probably thinking: Time to show her my muay thai moves. Headshot! *kick*

Neither was thinking:

Ow, she hit me! I need to hit her back to show her she can't just go around hitting people!

Not to mention the slap came after her son had already been shoved to the ground.

It is the press release that has promted this action by authorities, I hope they get it into their heads that it is not the news that is wrecking Thailands image it is the incident itself and the fact that it was reported in an open and transparent way, efforts to hide these incidents from the public is actually more damaging IMO than the incident itself, there is a lesson to be learned - I hope they got it

You're very optimistic lol I don't think they can see the truth about images and keeping the lid on things only makes it worse.

^^

"Not to mention the slap came after her son had already been shoved to the ground."

Yes, a 43 year old man,stumbling around drunk and his mother takes it upon herself to slap and belittle the Thai guy.

Neither was thinking:

There is no such thing as proportional response, you need to respond with as much force as you deem fit

Neither was thinking:

There is no such thing as proportional response, you need to respond with as much force as you deem fit

Against a 65 yr old women,now that does take some kind of MAN.

Neither was thinking:

Against a 65 yr old women,now that does take some kind of MAN.

Street fighting is the worst kind of fighting you can get into, there are no rules in street fighting, anything goes, there is no concept of fighting fair and things can get ugly, which is why you should stay out of them.

If you are the aggressor, like the tourist family and you lose, then you have to suck it up and learn to control your aggression in future.

This family has a problem with self-control and no doubt, this is not their first aggressive confrontation, maybe they need to see a therapist.

The police released the tape and in good old Thai tradition don't want to admit to it after the government got angry. Saving face. It's no ones fault. Then later on in the year they will get punished, demoted transfered. Everything is done under the table in Asia. Having researched about this case I conclude that the police did a great job but weren't backed up by the big wigs in Bangkok so were told to keep it low profile. Some disagreed with that decision and released the tape to the press.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

When I first heard that an old lady was kicked in the head while unconscious, my first question was, "well, who started the trouble?" Was it the 'farangs' or was it the 'Thais'? This was very important to me as these things are always about us vs them. We must always factor in race and nationality.

I'm on the Thai side here. It's their country and they can do whatever they like. If tourists don't like that, stuff them. I'll worry about the problem of tourist revenue 'when' it becomes a problem. Also, farangs should have to pay for a course in Thai culture. Smile, never complain and shut your stupid mouths. Everything you say is stupid so shut up and leave a tip.

I always take the Thai side because I live through this idea of their culture vicariously. I wish my country was the same. I wish we could treat foreigners however we wish and we were always right. I don't say this in public because it's deemed as ignorant and racist. I say it on public forums where nobody knows me.

Sometimes, I feel deep down, that the locals don't respect me. I try everything to get them on my side. I slag off my own kind all the time but it seems to make them think I'm an idiot. I dream of being a rich farang and then making people respect me. I wish I was the only farang here in Thailand. Then they'd have to like me.

I'm sad deep down.