Fake monk arrested with abbot's ATM card as holy man finds a hole in his account

Fake monk arrested with abbot's ATM card as holy man finds a hole in his account

mo.jpg

MUKDAHAN:-- A fake monk who stole an ATM card from an abbot pinched nearly 300,000 from the account in two days.

But police seeing a man who looked like a monk on CCTV at a petrol station ATM soon tracked down the thief, reports Manager Online,

The abbot of Wat Pa Kham Nam Bun in downtown Mukdahan said that a man in robes who he took to be a monk came to the temple on Saturday wanting to discuss Buddhist teachings. However, he soon lost interest and made his excuses and left.

It was only a couple of days later when he realised that the temple's ATM card (along with the pin number kept with it) had gone missing. The bank was contacted and the holy man's account had a hole in it to the tune of 294,000 baht.

Police were contacted. After consultations with Krung Thai bank CCTV at a PTT petrol station was checked. Over a period of two days 15 withdrawals were made by a man who looked remarkably like a monk and who was known to police.

They went to a nearby village in Chanot sub-district where they found Pipap Kenhamoon, 38, a native of Nong Bualampu with his girlfriend Thitiyada Jaichuang, a local of Mukdahan.

Outside was a brand new motorcycle. Inside the house police found monk's robes, 229,000 baht in cash and a civil service uniform in another person's name.

Pipap admitted his crime. He told police that he had given his girlfriend 60,000 of the cash to buy the motorcycle and she corroborated the story. She said that when she asked him where he got that kind of money he replied : "Don't pester me!"

Police suspect that Pipap had been using the civil service uniform to trick other villagers in the area. He was charged with theft and held for further questioning.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-04

Why the need of a credit card for the abbot? The bank is open to withdraw for important projects, and sure he doesn't need to buy his day-to-day groceries and such.

Unless into some impulse shopping for pricier items, I cant see the need to use credit card in the temple or for monks at all.

But I am not the enlightened one :)

(and neither is the abbot to keep his pin with the card.)

Why the need of a credit card for the abbot? The bank is open to withdraw for important projects, and sure he doesn't need to buy his day-to-day groceries and such.

Unless into some impulse shopping for pricier items, I cant see the need to use credit card in the temple or for monks at all.

But I am not the enlightened one smile.png

No reason for a credit card not to be issued, but I'm sure that if you asked the abbot he'd understand the need for you to know and would justify it to you.

By the way, it wasn't a credit card. it was an ATM card that was stolen.

They still travel by car/plane from place to place, so need cash. As well as supplies to keep the Temple clean. So perfectly normal to have a bank & ATM. I suppose the PIN was kept with the card as being Buddhist he was a trusty soul.

I like the look he's giving in the pic. That thief has a special place reserved for him in the afterlife :)

It was only a couple of days later when he realised that the temple's ATM card (along with the pin number kept with it) had gone missing.

Awesome security of the PIN....lets just keep the PIN with the card, maybe write the PIN on the chalkboard, etc.

Why would an Abbot need a card at all? The monks are supposed to have relinquished worldly goods to follow a higher level. Obviously someone never got the message this Abbot

Why would an Abbot need a card at all? The monks are supposed to have relinquished worldly goods to follow a higher level. Obviously someone never got the message this Abbot

Actually most temples probably take in a lot of money from donations and keeping large sums of money in the temple is probably not a good idea. Whether they withdraw it via card, physical visit to a branch, or ibanking it up to them. Put it in a bank and withdraw it as needed...earn a little interest. Plus, just give the account number to donors so they can transfer money into the account (for donations to take care of the poor of course).

Actually most temples probably take in a lot of money from donations and keeping large sums of money in the temple is probably not a good idea. Whether they withdraw it via card, physical visit to a branch, or ibanking it up to them. Put it in a bank and withdraw it as needed...earn a little interest. Plus, just give the account number to donors so they can transfer money into the account (for donations to take care of the poor of course).

Yes I know but this from what I see is the Abbot's account. I would expect money donated would go into a temple account

So Kasikorn Bank apologised to the chief monk because they gave his money to someone else and it was credited back into his account. Meanwhile the chief monk explained that although the money was in his personal bank account he never touched it because he is a monk cheesy.gif

So Kasikorn Bank apologised to the chief monk because they gave his money to someone else and it was credited back into his account. Meanwhile the chief monk explained that although the money was in his personal bank account he never touched it because he is a monk cheesy.gif

I'm beginning to understand why many Thais resent and laugh at farangies. Doesn't it say that it was the the Temple ATM card. Who else would have possession of and be in charge of it other than the "chief" monk? Maybe it would be better if the donations were kept under a mattress for full transparency.

Unbelievable that someone gave you a 'like' for that. "Chief monk"? Kasikorn Bank? "His" money? "Personal bank account"?

(for donations to take care of the poor of course)

Thanks for the morning laugh.clap2.gif

I'm beginning to understand why many Thais resent and laugh at farangies. Doesn't it say that it was the the Temple ATM card. Who else would have possession of and be in charge of it other than the "chief" monk? Maybe it would be better if the donations were kept under a mattress for full transparency.

Maybe it would be better if the monks took the donations and helped the poor people who can't send their children to school or help repair their houses after a storm, ect, rather than hording the money and putting more gold leaves in the temple for a show, buying laptops, smart phones, land, cars, ect.

Unbelievable that someone gave you a 'like' for that. "Chief monk"? Kasikorn Bank? "His" money? "Personal bank account"?

His post was about the irony of the events.

Irony:

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.