ATM cards and mobile phones in Japan

longball53098

My Thai wife will be visiting Japan later this year. She will be doing some kind of tour for a week or so with her cousin.

Will her AIS Zenfone 5 LTE work in Japan? I thought I read Japan uses a different system and GSM phones do not work there. If the phone does not work for voice/ mobile data then I would imagine the WIFI part of the phone will connect at local hotels and other hotspots though.

Also to avoid carrying too much cash I said her SCB atm card should work ok. Some reading indicates that any 7-11 or Family Mart atm around Japan will give her cash.

Any input on either of these questions is highly appreciated.

Phone should work no problem, check the AIS roaming website (http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/3g-prepaid/package-rate/1/Asia/118/Japan), lots of detail there. Make sure she turns off data roaming though or the bills can get unpleasant very quickly (although my AIS contract turns off data automatically once THB 2000 is reached (about 5 minutes!).

As for ATM's yes they are in convenience stores, etc. but my success rate is probably only 50% or so.....they mostly don't resemble a Thai style ATM and have lots of odd buttons. Lots of images and advice, google Japanese ATM.

I suggest she leave herself a bit of extra time at Survanabhumi and go to the AIS kiosk at the arrivals level before departing. They will enable roaming in Japan as well as explain some roaming packages that might save her some money if she does plan to call home regularly. They can also show her how to cut data roaming. She can also contact AIS by phone dialing 1175.

Sometimes turning data roaming off in the phone settings is not enough. The AIS code to turn data roaming off is *129*1# There is about a 10 minute wait for a confirmation message. To turn back on: *129*2#

Sometimes, large roaming bills can be a result of incoming calls and texts from friends and businesses not aware the person is in another country. I deal with that when I am on an extended trip by removing my normal SIM altogether and using another SIM with a number known only to family and those whose calls I want to receive.

Edited by dddave

The domestic Japanese phone system is unique to Japan, although roaming will work with associated costs.

ATMs are everywhere, but most are domestic cards only.

You need to use an international ATM. A quick check for an international ATM is to look for an "english" language selection.