Selfish Phuket beach vendors add to lifeguards’ woes

webfact

Selfish Phuket beach vendors add to lifeguards’ woes
The Phuket News

1462508155_1-org.jpg
This beach vendor obviously thinks it's acceptable to ply her trade directly in front of the rip-tide warning sign. Photo: Bjorn Ronningen

PHUKET: Just as the monsoon season approaches and Phuket’s lifeguards prepare for the worst period of the year from drownings, the lifeguards at Kata Beach are faced with one obstacle, selfish beach vendors who are happy to ply their trade directly in front of beach warning signs, completely blocking them from view of tourists.

Head of the Kata-Karon lifeguard group Uten Singsom told The Phuket News that these vendors are one of the problems faced by lifeguards trying to patrol the beach, as when lifeguards try to tell people it is dangerous to swim and take note of the signs, they do not now about the signs as they are blocked from view.

“I have seen vendors block the warning signs. It is pointless trying to reason with them as simply don’t care,” he said.

“I will talk to local OrBorTor officials about this and have them solve this problem as soon as possible. Vendors and their stalls should stay clear from any warning signs,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/selfish-phuket-beach-vendors-add-to-lifeguards-woes-57318.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-06

In the photo looks like the no commerce on the beach rule doesn't exist and the area in the photo appears not to be part of the "10 percent" rule.

That's because this area is to the side of the beach.

Maybe I m showing my ignorance but can she not be told to move on or stop selling right there.

Yes of course again and again and again..............and then another one comes along and we start all over again whistling.gif

you were not showing ignorance just naivety thumbsup.gif

Road unworthy and illegal vehicle? Check.

Running an illegal business on public land? Check.

Disregard for others and safety of the general public? Check.

Ignorant even after a lifeguard points out the misconduct? Check.

I think we need to crack down harder on shirtless tourists!

Be fair - she probably does not understand English and therefore the importance of the Sign she is blocking, it should be in Thai so she knows what she's doing.

Oh! Wait!!

Patrick

Well it should also be in Thai for another good reason - for Thai swimmers to see and read and understand.

My guess is that large numbers of Thai holiday makers from other provinces, maybe even some folks from Phuket have no knowledge of rips.

Therefore the sign should be unobstructed.

Another angle - how come appropriate local officers are not spotting things like this as soon as they occur?

Always after the event.

Edited by scorecard

Try getting onto the beach in Kamala across from the cop shop- nigh on impossible for all the businesses set up along there. I have noticed though that the 1630 pack-up seems to work though.

Does this situation need a photo and an article to deal with…how about the photographer go and tell her that she is blocking a warning sign and should move to another location?

And them prepare for a head kickin'….gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Sorry but individual responsibility applies; check out the water, talk to the locals (not that there isn't enough information available on every website out there about the dangers of swimming in monsoon season in Thailand and elsewhere) and make yourself aware of the issues before dipping your big toe in!