Ex-minister Surapong criticizes government for mandating too many long holidays

webfact

30_Surapong-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former foreign minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul has criticized the government for mandating too many long holidays to promote domestic tourism which may, in the end, backfire on the economy.

The core member of the Pheu Thai party said Friday he had heard several businessmen starting to complain about too many long holidays which, he noted, are welcomed by government officials because they don’t have to work and still get paid.

Pointing out that Thailand’s growth rate has been continually adjusted down to less than 3 percent at the latest projection, Mr Surapong said that the government should rethink about its policy about long holidays to promote local tourism.

He criticized the government’s economic team for its failure to improve economic situation, citing exports which have not rebounded.

The former foreign minister then pointed out at the other Asean countries, saying that they all enjoy higher growth rates because their governments are more stable.

He asked the government to look at itself in the mirror and start doing its job and not be too worried with whether the draft charter will go through the referendum or not.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/162327

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-06

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too true ,( government paying them selfs)

companies not paying the correct

supposedly 300 baht minimum wage, not paying extra money

for working the holidays ,

people give and give, government take and take

nothing new here.

sadly

Says something when the government, self appointed or otherwise' solution to failing economy are yet more and more holidays from which only banks, but most importantly, bureaucrats,benefit. As if the bureaucracy in this bloody country isn't slow enough.

They haven't a clue.

so he has never realized that these holidays were being taken while yl was pm, how pathetic can this moron get, this man really needs an education so he can at least make a sensible argument

so he has never realized that these holidays were being taken while yl was pm, how pathetic can this moron get, this man really needs an education so he can at least make a sensible argument

Don't worry!

I guess, you junta- friends will have that covered!

I guess Surapong will be "invited" for some AA after criticising the "PM" for inviting the public to travel

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/915220-pm-prayut-invites-public-to-travel-in-thailand-during-5-day-holiday/

and if you look like a student don't do any travelling on trains to parks or the carriage your travelling on might get disconnected....then whisked off to AA camp too.

nothing new here.

sadly

Yes I agree and how can anyone (and most Thais are on this) afford DOMESTIC tourism on 300 baht a day? That's 7800 a month! My BF sister is looking for work. BKK first at 900 per month now Chiang Mai at 7800 Big C supercentre. And at least CM is cheaper to live

So where are these hoards of locals traveling to?

There you are again, and again with your old bs... this topic is about the the long holidays which this Junta government mandates , this is totally new and nothing to do with any former government .

Surapong has been very quiet and unseen of late, did someone tell him he is not paid to do nothing? At least make

a noise now and again to let the gang know your in position for future assignments, no matter what is asked nor what you are

told to do.

Now back to your hidey hole, where you are not too noticable.

Edited by slapout

Nah mate, this mob as added many more extended periods of holidays than there was under YL.

Salaried government employees still collect their full wage on these holidays but the private sector (outside street vendors particularly) do not.

The Generals are pandering to their supporter base (the 4 million or so Bangkok based middle class bureaucrats) at the expense of the rest of the predominately poorer and self employed population and ruining the economy at the same time.

seajae...... I think more like seenothing.

nothing new here.

sadly

So where are these hoards of locals traveling to?

a substantial nr of guys i know travel daily through binge-drinking-trips aka travelling without moving (on overpriced cat piss called beer or "whisky").

Nah mate, this mob as added many more extended periods of holidays than there was under YL.

Salaried government employees still collect their full wage on these holidays but the private sector (outside street vendors particularly) do not.

The Generals are pandering to their supporter base (the 4 million or so Bangkok based middle class bureaucrats) at the expense of the rest of the predominately poorer and self employed population and ruining the economy at the same time.

Soon they will all wear a shirt like this (i recommend on mondays):

ethics.jpg

In 2013 there were 19 official holidays.

In 2016 there are 22 official holidays.

There was never an extended holiday before under YL between May 5-9.

More extended holidays under this lot.

Wake up man and see the light.

Edited by Rayk

And another turd bobs to the surface to remind us of what the country used to put up with. All you "friends of democracy" will remember his cousin and how he disregarded numerous calls to answer for his issuance of the illegal passport.

In 2013 there were 19 official holidays.

In 2016 there are 22 official holidays.

There was never an extended holiday before under YL between May 5-9.

More extended holidays under this lot.

Wake up man and see the light.

That is more than Italy which had the most number of public holidays including days for when the wind changed direction

Knew it wouldn't take long for the "But but the Shins" brigade to pipe up.

"Good morning camp-followers".

Edited by jesimps

Surapong has been very quiet and unseen of late, did someone tell him he is not paid to do nothing? At least make

a noise now and again to let the gang know your in position for future assignments, no matter what is asked nor what you are

told to do.

Now back to your hidey hole, where you are not too noticable.

As usual, no comment on the subject in hand from the fanboys.

Just old blx.

And another turd bobs to the surface to remind us of what the country used to put up with. All you "friends of democracy" will remember his cousin and how he disregarded numerous calls to answer for his issuance of the illegal passport.

Has there ever in the history of the world been a fanboy post regarding the original topic?

nothing new here.

sadly

I think most open minded people would agree that the plebs on 300bht a day would find it very difficult to afford to travel and spend tourist money during this 5 day break.

On the other hand, the PM in his show last night said those on minimum wage should be able to afford fruit/vegetables, and presumably holidays, if they were more responsible with budgeting their income. In support of his message, he said he wasn't a rich man, but could afford to eat basic wholesome food, just like other Thai citizens. All of this was 'washed down' with the usual dismissive hand gestures. Sorry, I'm now rushing to the bathroom for a quick puke!

It is not the holidays I object to it is the total lack of any international banking which screws up everything from pensions to cash remittances, as the banking system has yet to move towards a fully automated system.

Remittances to bank accounts with all the correct info is still stopped at Bangkok to await a numpty to say yes it can go through. Even from bank to bank. This is the 21st century but Thai banks are still in the 19th century.

i mistakenly had a parcel sent to me in Pattaya from Penang the week before Songkran. It arrived in Thailand on April 9 by Express Mail Service. On the 4th of May, I received notice that it was available for pickup at Laem Chebang. There have been innumerable holidays since its arrival in LOS and another long weekend is underway. It took the Thai Post Office nearly a month to even acknowledge that they had the package in spite of having a tracking number. The standard response when we called was to wait or to call back tomorrow. It seems like every other day the PO is closed or there is a holiday.

It is not the holidays I object to it is the total lack of any international banking which screws up everything from pensions to cash remittances, as the banking system has yet to move towards a fully automated system.

Remittances to bank accounts with all the correct info is still stopped at Bangkok to await a numpty to say yes it can go through. Even from bank to bank. This is the 21st century but Thai banks are still in the 19th century.

What country are you getting money from ? I send money from the Netherlands and the next day its on my Thai bank. Maybe the country you get your money from is not as advanced as you like to think. For me Rabobank to Kasikorn inputted electronically takes one day even if send on a Friday.

Generally there is a set number of holidays, everyone is on the same page and generally the government is always threatening to cut out more holidays, as it interferes with production , so in this respect former Minister Surapong is correct , however what better way to win the hearts and minds of the population by giving out more holidays , that Junta U know he give me plenty of olidays, 10 extra this year, he mighty fine fella, question is were they even paid for those extra days off and did it alter their perspective entwinned view of a bunch of losers, an unprofessional finish , but who gives a toss., I believe in human rights......................................coffee1.gif

i mistakenly had a parcel sent to me in Pattaya from Penang the week before Songkran. It arrived in Thailand on April 9 by Express Mail Service. On the 4th of May, I received notice that it was available for pickup at Laem Chebang. There have been innumerable holidays since its arrival in LOS and another long weekend is underway. It took the Thai Post Office nearly a month to even acknowledge that they had the package in spite of having a tracking number. The standard response when we called was to wait or to call back tomorrow. It seems like every other day the PO is closed or there is a holiday.

Didnt you have a tracking number? If so you would have known it had arrived but chose not to do anything about collecting it