Israeli soldier goes on trial for killing wounded Palestinian attacker

webfact

Israeli soldier goes on trial for killing wounded Palestinian attacker

606x341_332194.jpg

JERUSALEM: -- The trial of an Israeli soldier charged with manslaughter for killing a wounded Palestinian attacker has opened.

Sergeant Elor Azaria denies using excessive force and violating Israel military’s rules of engagement.

The 19-year-old conscript medic shot Abdul Fatah al-Sharif in the head in Hebron in March while he lay incapacitated on the ground.

Outside court, Azaria’s defence team said justice would be served.

“We are prepared and are continuing with the same line of defence. The truth will come out. The path will be long. We will endure,” Defence lawyer Binyamin Malka said.

The killing, which was caught on camera, has divided opinion in Israel.

Last month thousands of people marched in support of Azaria, who says he believed the 21-year-old Palestinian, though subdued, may have had a suicide built and still posed a danger.

Palestinian leaders, however, have accused him of cold blooded murder.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-10

Justice in this case not only seen to be done, it's being done in real, and what ever the courts will decide

the soldier faith it will be carried out, I'm yet to see a similar justice for all those Palestinians who committed

crimes on the Jews and Israelis......

Elor Azaria was released for a home leave of on week to join his family during Passover.

http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/diplomacy-defense/110638-160422-israel-soldier-who-shot-subdued-palestinian-allowed-home-for-passover

Strange that the video footage shows clear premeditated killing, while the detention conditions are more than doubtful and a clear indication that the final pro forma verdict will be not surprisingly far from the real crime.

He should be forced to a second trial in France, due to his dual French-Israeli citizenship. He won't be received like a hero...

post-171721-14628501309588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thorgal

Elor Azaria was released for a home leave of on week to join his family during Passover.

http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/diplomacy-defense/110638-160422-israel-soldier-who-shot-subdued-palestinian-allowed-home-for-passover

Strange that the video footage shows clear premeditated killing, while the detention conditions are more than doubtful and a clear indication that the final pro forma verdict will be not surprisingly far from the real crime.

He should be forced to a second trial in France, due to his dual French-Israeli citizenship. He won't be received like a hero...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1462850128.923903.jpg

No crime was committed within French jurisdiction.

He was not serving in the IDF under his French passport.

Nothing to do with France.

You really should try harnessing your obvious hatred into something productive.

No crime was committed within French jurisdiction.

He was not serving in the IDF under his French passport.

Nothing to do with France.

You really should try harnessing your obvious hatred into something productive.

In his defense sgt rock, I believe Thorgal has been quite productive all along, just not to the satisfaction of some.

As someone accused (conviction by agenda driven posters notwithstanding) of manslaughter, he should not have been released for the holiday nor his detention conditions been that light. As for "clear indication" - would that be the same as the assertion that he will not be charged at all? Or the same as the assertions that the murderers of Mohammed Abu Khdeir will be found not guilty?

You are welcome to contact the French government and try to interest them in initiating procedures. I doubt this is standard practice worldwide, or even in France, though. Of course, that wouldn't stack so well when applied to some Palestinians as well...

With that kind of solid support it's doubtful that he will serve a long prison term.

The sentence may be harsh for publicity purposes, but even though he did the crime, he's not going to do the time.

With that kind of solid support it's doubtful that he will serve a long prison term.

The sentence may be harsh for publicity purposes, but even though he did the crime, he's not going to do the time.

Have you ever been in a situation where your life just might possibly be taken by a suicide bomber? Would you shoot if you thought, or even remotely thought that might be the case.

You have a split second to decide. If you choose wrong, boom!

Any one engaging in a terrorist activity forfeits their rights. They are intending to kill, maim and seriously injure indiscriminently without any regard for innocence.

Had the deceased not been trying to carry out a terrorist attack he would be alive - Period.

Time the world stopped bleating about the "human rights" of murderous terrorist scum and started thinking more about the rights of the intended victims.

Terrorists the wold over love attacking defenseless people. As soon as someone attacks back they whine and squeal like the cowards they are.

All credit to Israel in holding a trial to establish the facts. If the killed person was not a terrorist, trying to carry out a terrorist attack then the soldier should be punished. If the deceased was a terrorist engaged in an attack then the soldier was defending himself and his colleagues.

Do you think the Palestinian terrorists would treat a wounded Israeli with sympathy and abide by the Geneve Convention or whatever?

Have you ever been in a situation where your life just might possibly be taken by a suicide bomber? Would you shoot if you thought, or even remotely thought that might be the case.

You have a split second to decide. If you choose wrong, boom!

Any one engaging in a terrorist activity forfeits their rights. They are intending to kill, maim and seriously injure indiscriminently without any regard for innocence.

Had the deceased not been trying to carry out a terrorist attack he would be alive - Period.

Time the world stopped bleating about the "human rights" of murderous terrorist scum and started thinking more about the rights of the intended victims.

Terrorists the wold over love attacking defenseless people. As soon as someone attacks back they whine and squeal like the cowards they are.

All credit to Israel in holding a trial to establish the facts. If the killed person was not a terrorist, trying to carry out a terrorist attack then the soldier should be punished. If the deceased was a terrorist engaged in an attack then the soldier was defending himself and his colleagues.

Do you think the Palestinian terrorists would treat a wounded Israeli with sympathy and abide by the Geneve Convention or whatever?

That pathetic pro forma excuse that he thought there may be a suicide belt has been dismissed in a previous thread. His IDF comrades had been wandering casually around the body, one even tying his shoe laces with the Palestinian lying incapacitated and untreated despite offers of help for 10 minutes when the cold blooded IDF killer acted .
"On Sunday, Army Radio reported that the military investigation found that the soldier told one of his friends that the "terrorist needs to die" for stabbing another soldier. Despite the latter's efforts to calm him down, the soldier then shot the Palestinian."
The rest of your argument reduces the IDF to the same level as any alleged terrorist that they purport to be defending themselves against...no-one else has any human rights except themselves. So much for the most moral army in the world.
It will be interesting to see the trial result. The whole world saw the psychopath IDF medic (irony!) Azaria's crime. The whole world is watching to see if the Israeli system of justice is just.
Edited by dexterm

I'm genuinely curious to know how many Israeli soldiers have been tried for crimes not recorded on video committed against Palestinians. And what percentage resulted in convictions.

My thoughts exactly.

I too wonder how many IDF soldiers have literally been getting away with murder off camera.

Why Israel's Unwritten 'Shoot to Kill' Policy Is So Dangerous
"Until last year, security services somehow knew how to apprehend stabbers without killing them. In the last two decades knifings in public places were rare, so there were few occasions in which the security forces acted. But, in all seven documented cases between November 1993 and November 2014, the terrorist was apprehended ​rather than killed, according to one comprehensive survey." http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.681234

I'm genuinely curious to know how many Israeli soldiers have been tried for crimes not recorded on video committed against Palestinians. And what percentage resulted in convictions.

My thoughts exactly.

I too wonder how many IDF soldiers have literally been getting away with murder off camera.

"Until last year, security services somehow knew how to apprehend stabbers without killing them. In the last two decades knifings in public places were rare, so there were few occasions in which the security forces acted. But, in all seven documented cases between November 1993 and November 2014, the terrorist was apprehended ​rather than killed, according to one comprehensive survey." http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.681234

Why provide a link which demands a subscription before content can be read ?

Justice in this case not only seen to be done, it's being done in real, and what ever the courts will decide

the soldier faith it will be carried out, I'm yet to see a similar justice for all those Palestinians who committed

crimes on the Jews and Israelis......

Well as Palestine has no real functioning judiciary or police service as it is simply not permitted to then I guess it could be a long time coming before we see Palestinians on trial.

They don't murder terrorists. They STOP terrorists from murdering innocent civilians.
In the quote that you conveniently omitted from your reply I pointed out how the most moral army in the world went from being so well trained as to be able to apprehend every knife wielding person in the previous 11 years, but in the last 9 months have suddenly extra judicially executed over 200 Palestinians including the psychopath Azaria's handiwork in the OP.
Clearly it is a result of a shoot to kill policy encouraged by Netanyahu's own cabinet, which is a war crime.
'According to Yediot Aharonot, Economy and Trade Minister Bennett said, “If you catch terrorists, you simply have to kill them.”
National Security Adviser Yaakov Amidror reportedly responded by saying that “this is not legal.”
Bennett then allegedly retorted, “I have killed lots of Arabs in my life – and there is no problem with that.” '
This is precisely part of the "nauseating trends" that IDF Maj Gen Golan is concerned about in another thread.
Edited by dexterm

They don't murder terrorists. They STOP terrorists from murdering innocent civilians.
In the quote that you conveniently omitted from your reply I pointed out how the most moral army in the world went from being so well trained as to be able to apprehend every knife wielding person in the previous 11 years, but in the last 9 months have suddenly extra judicially executed over 200 Palestinians including the psychopath Azaria's handiwork in the OP.
Clearly it is a result of a shoot to kill policy encouraged by Netanyahu's own cabinet, which is a war crime.
'According to Yediot Aharonot, Economy and Trade Minister Bennett said, “If you catch terrorists, you simply have to kill them.”
National Security Adviser Yaakov Amidror reportedly responded by saying that “this is not legal.”
Bennett then allegedly retorted, “I have killed lots of Arabs in my life – and there is no problem with that.” '
This is precisely part of the "nauseating trends" that IDF Maj Gen Golan is concerned about in another thread.

Getting close enough to "apprehend" a rabid knife welding terrorist is dangerous but perhaps you would be prepared to demonstrate how it is done with no risk of death/injury to those charged with the apprehension?

Getting close enough to "apprehend" a rabid knife welding terrorist is dangerous but perhaps you would be prepared to demonstrate how it is done with no risk of death/injury to those charged with the apprehension?

Tasers, pepper spray, rubber bullets, shoot in the legs. They managed to apprehend every one in the previous 11 years.
Maybe the IDF need better drill sergeants, and less war criminals in the cabinet encouraging illegal executions.

I pointed out how the most moral army in the world went from being so well trained as to be able to apprehend every knife wielding person in the previous 11 years, but in the last 9 months have suddenly extra judicially executed over 200 Palestinians including the psychopath Azaria's handiwork in the OP.

The knife wielding "persons" are actually knife wielding TERRORISTS. Stopping them from murdering innocent victims is not murder.

I pointed out how the most moral army in the world went from being so well trained as to be able to apprehend every knife wielding person in the previous 11 years, but in the last 9 months have suddenly extra judicially executed over 200 Palestinians including the psychopath Azaria's handiwork in the OP.

The knife wielding "persons" are actually knife wielding TERRORISTS. Stopping them from murdering innocent victims is not murder.

The point of the OP, the trial, and his commanders is that the murdered man Abdel Fattah al-Sharif had already been stopped. According to the charge sheet Azaria shot Sharif "contrary to the rules of engagement and with no operative justification, when Sharif was lying wounded on the ground and did not pose a clear and immediate danger. The prosecution is also charging Azaria with unbecoming conduct."
Presumably you believe the IDF can be judge, jury and executioner which of course is extra judicial murder.And is thus no better morally than the alleged terrorists they are purporting to fight. That is what this case is all about. The whole world is watching whether Israel does dispense justice or gives the official judicial seal of approval to the shoot to kill policy

Dexterm, Dexterm, Dexterm.

To make accusations of murder with nothing nothing to back it up is, to say the least not very sensible.

Israel, just like most other Countries do not have written or unwritten '' Shoot to kill '' policies. What they have are officers, Military, Police or other Government institution that are taught to shoot, policy does not come into it.

To use your figures, between 93 and 2014 there was 7 documented cases of stabbers being apprehended. That is 7 cases over a 21 year period. It is obvious to anyone that looks with a unbiased eye that, that number has increased expotentially since 2014. This might just be one of the reasons that there is now an increase in stabbers being shot dead. Over an extended period of time the <deleted> it factor will always come in to play. Not that I am saying that is correct, but it is a fact of life. In another thread I have already highlighted various methods that I would rather see being utilised, but that is for the Israeli's to deal with.

Tasers, pepper spray, rubber bullets, shoot in the legs. They managed to apprehend every one in the previous 11 years.

Maybe the IDF need better drill sergeants, and less war criminals in the cabinet encouraging illegal executions.

Could you provide me with the Unit and name of your Drill Sergeant that taught you to shoot in the legs. I would love to meet the only man on the planet that teaches this.

I will leave you with this thought.

If those that have been killed were not out, armed with knives, with the intention of being a stabber they would not have been shot dead.

To make accusations of murder with nothing nothing to back it up is, to say the least not very sensible.

Israel, just like most other Countries do not have written or unwritten '' Shoot to kill '' policies. What they have are officers, Military, Police or other Government institution that are taught to shoot, policy does not come into it.

To use your figures, between 93 and 2014 there was 7 documented cases of stabbers being apprehended. That is 7 cases over a 21 year period. It is obvious to anyone that looks with a unbiased eye that, that number has increased expotentially since 2014. This might just be one of the reasons that there is now an increase in stabbers being shot dead. Over an extended period of time the <deleted> it factor will always come in to play. Not that I am saying that is correct, but it is a fact of life. In another thread I have already highlighted various methods that I would rather see being utilised, but that is for the Israeli's to deal with.

Could you provide me with the Unit and name of your Drill Sergeant that taught you to shoot in the legs. I would love to meet the only man on the planet that teaches this.

If those that have been killed were not out, armed with knives, with the intention of being a stabber they would not have been shot dead.

And if you believe there have been no extra judicial murders off camera you are extremely naive, in that such a fuss is being made in this OP incident because the IDF psychopath was dopey enough to be caught on video.
Some particularly cold blooded murders of Palestinians caught on camera spring to mind with no consequences for the murderers.
The Execution of Hadeel al-Hashlamoun
Cop investigated in wake of ‘complaints that he shot the terrorist although she posed no danger’
Brother and sister slain at checkpoint were executed
Some of the above and including the IDF on trial Azaria OP incident are covered in this video
Yes there is a shoot to kill policy
Yair Lapid, for example, told radio interviewer Nissim Mishal in October 2015 that Israel must confront terror attacks “with zero tolerance.” Lapid said, “You see someone with a knife, you see someone with a screwdriver, you should shoot to kill, don't think twice. There’s total backing [for this] from the legal and political system."
In the same article..
Israel’s chief Sephardic rabbi, Yitzhak Yosef, and said it is a mitzvah (commandement from God) to kill terrorists without asking questions, because there will be no prosecution.
I notice you only address one of the non lethal methods I mentioned. Perhaps you should contact the drill sergeant of this IDF soldier
"A person standing on a roof with a cellphone during activity or something like that and the snipers see him looking down at least twice, something like that, looks a bit suspicious, you ask the regiment commander for permission to shoot such a person in the legs."
"But in the case of bricks you can shoot at the legs with permission from a captain."
Well worth reading the rest of the article to address your first point again and to learn how IDF routinely kill Palestinian kids, without any inquiry above the regiment commander if at all. Except an officer may get fined 100 shekels for the carelessness and inconvenience. $30 fine for the life of a child!
Edited by dexterm

And if you believe there have been no extra judicial murders off camera you are extremely naive, in that such a fuss is being made in this OP incident because the IDF psychopath was dopey enough to be caught on video.
Some particularly cold blooded murders of Palestinians caught on camera spring to mind with no consequences for the murderers.
The Execution of Hadeel al-Hashlamoun
Cop investigated in wake of ‘complaints that he shot the terrorist although she posed no danger’
Brother and sister slain at checkpoint were executed
Some of the above and including the IDF on trial Azaria OP incident are covered in this video
Yes there is a shoot to kill policy
Yair Lapid, for example, told radio interviewer Nissim Mishal in October 2015 that Israel must confront terror attacks “with zero tolerance.” Lapid said, “You see someone with a knife, you see someone with a screwdriver, you should shoot to kill, don't think twice. There’s total backing [for this] from the legal and political system."
In the same article..
Israel’s chief Sephardic rabbi, Yitzhak Yosef, and said it is a mitzvah (commandement from God) to kill terrorists without asking questions, because there will be no prosecution.
I notice you only address one of the non lethal methods I mentioned. Perhaps you should contact the drill sergeant of this IDF soldier
"A person standing on a roof with a cellphone during activity or something like that and the snipers see him looking down at least twice, something like that, looks a bit suspicious, you ask the regiment commander for permission to shoot such a person in the legs."
"But in the case of bricks you can shoot at the legs with permission from a captain."
Well worth reading the rest of the article to address your first point again and to learn how IDF routinely kill Palestinian kids, without any inquiry above the regiment commander if at all. Except an officer may get fined 100 shekels for the carelessness and inconvenience. $30 fine for the life of a child!

Thank You.

This is an excellent example of whataboutery.

Completely ignores my post, tries to put words in my mouth and injects your own agenda.

Do not waste your time responding. Despite your denials, you have made your views abundantly clear.

The thing that grabs my attention when you watch the video of Azaria is the slow calculated way in which the IDF medic(!!) aims his gun at the incapacitated body of the Palestinian and shoots into his head, then shakes hands with a fanatical settler leader who congratulates him. He assumes that the culture of impugnity will protect him, that this is par for the course, because of course it is the norm in the shoot to kill environment of an occupying army.
The astonishing thing for him and for all those who attended the rally in his defense is that he is actually charged with
"using excessive force and violating Israel military’s rules of engagement."
Congratulations to the IDF for enforcing their ethos, but condemnation for a regime that encourages such a culture of assumed impugnity.

The thing that grabs my attention when you watch the video of Azaria is the slow calculated way in which the IDF medic(!!) aims his gun at the incapacitated body of the Palestinian and shoots into his head, then shakes hands with a fanatical settler leader who congratulates him. He assumes that the culture of impugnity will protect him, that this is par for the course, because of course it is the norm in the shoot to kill environment of an occupying army.
The astonishing thing for him and for all those who attended the rally in his defense is that he is actually charged with
"using excessive force and violating Israel military’s rules of engagement."
Congratulations to the IDF for enforcing their ethos, but condemnation for a regime that encourages such a culture of assumed impugnity.

He has been arrested and charged and a court case is impending.

Now let me hear you say the same on the other side.

Just before you accuse me of anything, I take no sides as they are both as bad as each other.

Still waiting on your instructor who taught you to shoot at legs.