Interview with very very wealthy Thai for job

Tomorrow I have the privilege of flying to BKK from Phuket to interview for a high level management position in a Thai owned company. The owner's daughter (who is involved in said company) recommended me for the job and booked my ticket. The guy who will interview me is one of the 50 wealthiest individuals in the country. Besides dressing smartly and speaking politely, does anyone have any advice for me? I am only 29 but look about 40 due to grey hair, my biggest concern is I am not properly qualified, but then again, every job I've held since I was 22 I felt that way and was able to manage.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes sir. The 50th richest person in Thailand wants to interview and hire a farang personally? Really?

High level management position, yet you are unqualified?

Well, if you got in the door because of the daughter and you cannot do the job, she will lose face and you will lose your job.

Pretty simply to figure that out.

In recent times I've been working as a consultant for a thai us $ billionaire's company who is very hands on and very down to earth. My advice is to be as polite and respectful to your interviewer as you would be to any (thai) employer, no more, no less. Good luck.

Thailand top 50 wealthiest is an impressive list and Iam surprised they lower themselves to the level of interviewing new employees, surely they have minions to do that.

On the positive side though Iam sure they could help you import that chassis from Malaysia and sort the missus's dodgy car debt, you should defiantly bring that up.

^My experience of thai companies is boss stays very hands on (management problem: boss makes all decisions).

If employing a new pleb requires the owner of the company to be in attendance they maybe he/she should be looking at the minions underneath him and ask why he is needed to be there.

I work for a Thai company, Ive met the boss 4 times in 10 years but have never been formally introduced to him but then we have 5000 employees so I understand why.

I had a friend who got a good job at a Thai firm here. He got in with the family so they employed him basically as the token farang. At first all was well, but in the end, he went mad.

As the token farang he was expected to go to all the bulls*** functions and dinner parties out of work time. He started politely saying no more and was made to feel bad. He sat at a desk all day pretending to be busy. He's a smart guy but no one was ever interested or listened to him in meetings. In the end, he packed it in. You think you'd be happy getting a good salary for being a token farang. but in the end, he said he felt like every day a little piece of his soul died - forever.

I'm not saying this is your situation. Just be careful. Thailand is very much a culture of who you know and wanting to impress.

The position is related to my field of work that I have worked in legally for 2 separate companies since coming here in 2012. I have managed 20-25 thai staff for a company in my field basically on my own with a farang boss. However, the job I was approached about is larger in scope and will involve managing 80-100 employees as well as expected business development. I interviewed once, with the daughter who knew of me for 4 years from doing work for companies that use her businesses facilities, and now she referred me to BKK to interview for a management position in her company replacing a 50+ farang who will be forced to retire soon.

Well, -almost- 0 helpful advice, I do have a good set of leather shoes on though and will be flying out in 2 hours. Bringing a copy of my resume in case he hasnt seen it, a list of proposals to expand/inprove his business, and plan on being myself.

Well, -almost- 0 helpful advice, I do have a good set of leather shoes on though and will be flying out in 2 hours. Bringing a copy of my resume in case he hasnt seen it, a list of proposals to expand/inprove his business, and plan on being myself.

Yes I would also bring your hat, the whistle and full uniform to show him you are already set up for the high powered position..........coffee1.gif

Archived