Interview with very very wealthy Thai for job

Not sure why TV lets crap like this troll to be posted... oh wait I get it, click bait, and it worked... if you have to ask TV members about interviewing for this position you don't deserve the job.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, -almost- 0 helpful advice, I do have a good set of leather shoes on though and will be flying out in 2 hours. Bringing a copy of my resume in case he hasnt seen it, a list of proposals to expand/inprove his business, and plan on being myself.

Are You For Real ...anyway we all look forward to the story from your interview ... don't let us down ...

O ... and don't forget to wear socks with your good leather shoes ... and make sure that they are highly polished ... and ... check that the price sticker is not still on the soles.

What's OP's level of Thai proficiency?

I think this thread is BS, but just in case it isn't, all they want is a farang face, and you'll be given nonsense jobs to do and all your Thai co-workers will ignore you and make fun of you behind your back, and will try to sabotage your efforts.

Also, why do you think this person is one of the 50 wealthiest in Thailand? Because the daughter told you so?

Naive.

He is 29 now and every job he has held since age 22 he has managed to survive. How many jobs have you held in the past 7 years? How long have you been on the beach this time? How did you meet the daughter? Too many questions to even warrant an answer.

Well, -almost- 0 helpful advice, I do have a good set of leather shoes on though and will be flying out in 2 hours. Bringing a copy of my resume in case he hasnt seen it, a list of proposals to expand/inprove his business, and plan on being myself.

OP i hope your resume is better than your spelling here.

, and now she referred me to BKK to interview for a management position in her company replacing a 50+ farang who will be forced to retire soon.

first post was believable until "doing the work of 50+ retiring farang....." coffee1.gif

Just be conscious of the cultural differences in the job interview. Values of modesty, respect and courtesy are some of the characteristics candidates are expected to possess and display. In Thai culture, reverence and respect for elders and seniors, are expected virtues in candidates and you are expected to demonstrate these values in the interview. Remember "you have to go along in order to get along".

You should be able to articulate on your winning qualities with confident and without boasting. Thais do not like excessive selling of oneself and boasting.

Good luck.

As you must know, appearances are everything in Thailand. If you look like you can do the job then you will be hired. The only thing counting against you is your relative youth, so you must make up for this by being polite, respectful and deferential to everyone once inside the company offices for the interview.

Billionaires have very good instincts for sniffing out bs.

• Don't go overboard trying too hard to impress.

• Say as little as you can, don't get carried away, these guys give people a lot of rope to give them ammo to hate them.

• Be more mindful of how you act than what you say…making sense doesn't always convince…body language cues are vital….play low.

This is an interesting video…take what wisdom you can from it….but not all.

Top 50 Thai- ok, believe in yourself, u wont be able to bullshit him. Be honest, he will be aware of most aspects of his own society. Dont show that you respect him because he commands money show that you respect him because he commands power and discipline.

Keep what u say very concise and to the point and believe it.

Also, why do you think this person is one of the 50 wealthiest in Thailand? Because the daughter told you so?

Naive.

Easy. If this person really is one of the 50 wealthiest in Thailand, quick google search will reveal many info about that person, such as what companies he/she owns, and he/she is a board member of this and that corporation or organization.

The position is related to my field of work that I have worked in legally for 2 separate companies since coming here in 2012. I have managed 20-25 thai staff for a company in my field basically on my own with a farang boss. However, the job I was approached about is larger in scope and will involve managing 80-100 employees as well as expected business development. I interviewed once, with the daughter who knew of me for 4 years from doing work for companies that use her businesses facilities, and now she referred me to BKK to interview for a management position in her company replacing a 50+ farang who will be forced to retire soon.

I've met and worked closely on a project with a guy on the Thai 50 top richest list.

He was overseas educated, is very cool and basically no different to many of my friends.

It sounds like you are perfectly capable of doing the job they are interviewing you for.

My advice, would be to forget that he is Thai and simply look at him as an intelligent, successful businessman like you've no doubt met many times before. Accord him the same level of respect and be polite, but let him see that you are not intimidated by his position and that you are confident in yourself.

Of course dress smart, be clean shaven etc.

Best of luck

Quote :

"Tomorrow I have the privilege of flying to BKK from Phuket to interview for a high level management position in a Thai owned company. The owner's daughter (who is involved in said company) recommended me for the job and booked my ticket. The guy who will interview me is one of the 50 wealthiest individuals in the country. Besides dressing smartly and speaking politely, does anyone have any advice for me? I am only 29 but look about 40 due to grey hair, my biggest concern is I am not properly qualified, but then again, every job I've held since I was 22 I felt that way and was able to manage.

Unquote

"The Guy" (very mature designation of your putative Boss by the way) who will condescend to interview a 29 year old for "a high level management position" is definitely NOT "one of the wealthiest individuals in the country" . Absolutely no way.

His position and the one you ar applying for are so far apart in reality that it's simply inconceivable - (I have my own Company here employing almost 200 Thai staff and I would never waste my time in interviewing anyone of your age and apparent inexperience).

In Thailand a 29 year old "high level" Manager in a major Company is a contradiction in terms unless you are a direct, almost blood line, relative.

Plus, by the way, being 29 but "looking 40 because of grey hair" is again almost assuredly a negative in Thailand, a black haired, ergo youthful look is much preferred. .

Patrick

Quote :

"Tomorrow I have the privilege of flying to BKK from Phuket to interview for a high level management position in a Thai owned company. The owner's daughter (who is involved in said company) recommended me for the job and booked my ticket. The guy who will interview me is one of the 50 wealthiest individuals in the country. Besides dressing smartly and speaking politely, does anyone have any advice for me? I am only 29 but look about 40 due to grey hair, my biggest concern is I am not properly qualified, but then again, every job I've held since I was 22 I felt that way and was able to manage.

Unquote

"The Guy" (very mature designation of your putative Boss by the way) who will condescend to interview a 29 year old for "a high level management position" is definitely NOT "one of the wealthiest individuals in the country" . Absolutely no way.

His position and yours are so far apart in reality that it's simply inconceivable - (I have my own Company here employing almost 200 Thai staff and I would never waste my time in interviewing anyone of your age and apparent inexperience - in Thailand a 29 year old "high level" Manager is a contradiction in terms unless you are a direct, almost blood line, relative.

Plus, by the way, being 29 but "looking 40 because of grey hair" is again almost assuredly a negative in Thailand, a black haired, ergo youthful look is much preferred. .

Patrick

Rubbish.

If you were recommended by his daughter, it would be normal for him to interview you in deference to his daughter's wishes.

Also age is much more highly respected here than in the West. You're not interviewing to be a TV drama heartthrob. Keep the shades of gray – it will do you well.

I had a friend who got a good job at a Thai firm here. He got in with the family so they employed him basically as the token farang. At first all was well, but in the end, he went mad.

As the token farang he was expected to go to all the bulls*** functions and dinner parties out of work time. He started politely saying no more and was made to feel bad. He sat at a desk all day pretending to be busy. He's a smart guy but no one was ever interested or listened to him in meetings. In the end, he packed it in. You think you'd be happy getting a good salary for being a token farang. but in the end, he said he felt like every day a little piece of his soul died - forever.

I'm not saying this is your situation. Just be careful. Thailand is very much a culture of who you know and wanting to impress.

I had a similar position in the PI years ago. It was obvious, my job was to attend all the after-hours/weekend functions. Therefore, I did; and they became my job. I showed at work once or twice a week, just to make contact with my boss--pre-cellphone/email days, but physical presence shows better, even now. Got let go though; seems I was diddling the wrong patron's kabit.

Not sure why TV lets crap like this troll to be posted... oh wait I get it, click bait, and it worked... if you have to ask TV members about interviewing for this position you don't deserve the job.

maybe the op is writing - working for tv forum and the thread generates clicks.

....admittedly under-qualified ....

...you must be doing 'something' right.....

...since credentials or skill don't matter...

...get in...then get some of us ....here on ThaiVisa....in too....

...come to think of it...it is the Thai way isn't it.....???

...know someone who knows someone....get hired.....

....as we have seen...for even the highest posts in the land...

Some topics belong on the TV forum as much as they belong in the pub, attracting all sorts of ignorant and/or jealous comments from the "lads" usually attending the pub during happy hour...

Dress smartly, suit and tie, smile, look confident ... the decision will be made in the first 2 minutes. If he likes you, everything you say will reinforce that, and if he doesn't, every utterance will justify his dislike.

Archived