Illegally acquired land in hands of influential people face seizure

webfact

Illegally acquired land in hands of influential people face seizure

120502-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A proposal will be made to the prime minister next week to confiscate 2 million rai of land owned by influential people if they are unable to prove with official evidence that the land they occupied are legitimately and legally acquired.

This tough action to seize back all these illegally or improperly acquired land and distribute them to landless farmers to cultivate was raised by Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Gen Chatchai Sarikulya yesterday.

Gen Chatchai said he would propose to the prime minister to execute Section 44 of the interim constitution to seize these land back from influential people and distribute to the poor to lead their lives.

These land have been inspected by officials and were found to be illegally occupied by influential people. They are mostly in 34 provinces, including Nakhon Ratchasima, Kamphaeng Phet and Sa Kaeo provinces.

But he said inspection of large piece of land of over 500 rai a plot now held by 563 people will be completed end of this month.

Authorities will place notifications on these property requiring owners to report local authorities with official land ownership documents.

If they cannot prove their legitimate ownership with legal document, their land will be seized for redistribution to farmers, he said.

He said he would propose to the prime minister to invoke Section 44 to confiscate all these land back.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163037

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-12

I wonder whether the zeal for redistributing illegally acquired land intended for the poor will extend to 11 wealthy families in Phuket connected to a certain prominent ex monk who has renounced politics...

Edited by JAG

What if you acquire land illegally, but are not influential??? I hate the term ''influential people'' just call a spade a spade i.e. ''know criminals'', ''local mafia leaders'' ''corrupt government officials''...''known criminals who are local mafia leaders and happen to be corrupt government officials'' ;)

I good sign regardless that the question is raised at all.

Dont fool yourself into believe that this do not happens in your own home country.

Maybe not exactly with land but 1000 other things.

Yes it's called theft and I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know that so what's your point? This about some land in Thailand.

In November there'll be an election in the USA and maybe eventually even hard in Thailand. Are you suggesting we shouldn't comment on those because elections happen elsewhere?

Going to seize illegallly held land?

It will never happen, too many influential people involved.

I.E.top ranking police/army/judges/ senior civil servants.

A little bit of window dressing to keep the masses quiet for a while, then it will die a death.

I wonder whether the zeal for redistributing illegally acquired land intended for the poor will extend to 11 wealthy families in Phuket connected to a certain prominent ex monk who has renounced politics...

It certainly should do as otherwise it brings the law into disrepute. Unfortunately I think your fears may be well founded as this sort of bias seems to be fairly normal here on all sides.

I don't understand the reason for using article 44. This is something which is clearly not following normal laws. It's similar to emergency powers in some but not all ways and would generally be used when there's no other option which I don't see applying in this case. If it's held illegally then they don't own it so there's no reason to use anything other than standard court backed procedures instead of article 44 the only advantage of which is probably speed. I assume this alleged illegal acquisition took place some time ago and the current regime will probably be in power until late next year so why the hurry? It all seems unnecessarily complicated way to do things. If the normal approach doesn't work then maybe use article 44.

If article 44 or any other legislation that doesn't predate the coup is used there's always the possibility of a legal challenge later. I'm no lawyer but from the little I know I can see credible reasons to challenge this. Unfortunately I can't be more specific.

It would be a shame to seize it only for it to be given back because of the way it was dealt with.

Edited by kimamey

Of course not, he is one of the good guys....

If its illegally acquired land , just take it back , Write this story again when something happens , lets see all the happy faces of those landless farmers when they get their land,

and lets see their even happier faces when the first thing they do is sell their land to other influential people.

It certainly should do as otherwise it brings the law into disrepute. Unfortunately I think your fears may be well founded as this sort of bias seems to be fairly normal here on all sides.

I don't understand the reason for using article 44. This is something which is clearly not following normal laws. It's similar to emergency powers in some but not all ways and would generally be used when there's no other option which I don't see applying in this case. If it's held illegally then they don't own it so there's no reason to use anything other than standard court backed procedures instead of article 44 the only advantage of which is probably speed. I assume this alleged illegal acquisition took place some time ago and the current regime will probably be in power until late next year so why the hurry? It all seems unnecessarily complicated way to do things. If the normal approach doesn't work then maybe use article 44.

If article 44 or any other legislation that doesn't predate the coup is used there's always the possibility of a legal challenge later. I'm no lawyer but from the little I know I can see credible reasons to challenge this. Unfortunately I can't be more specific.

It would be a shame to seize it only for it to be given back because of the way it was dealt with.

Article 44 because it is not subject to judicial review?

They can be as selective as they like in targeting the "influential people" they want to give a bloody nose!

Totally agree about improper use of Section 44 powers.

- it bypasses due process

- it reduces transparency (no prosecutor charge sheet, no court proceeding, no court record)

- it undermines trust (sense of justice without bias)

The PM, way back, promised to use Section 44 appropriately. As expected, every Ministry now looks at it as some sort of fast track. Some will cheer this, regardless of collateral damage (while deriding others who take similar amoral approaches).

sad.png

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Just imagine what could happen to these influential people if they were found guilty of picking mushrooms on their illegally held land. They could retain the land and still go to jail for decades! Probably not though.

I am guessing, for every large parcel of illegally acquired land now held by an "influential person", there was one or more government officials complicit in the illegal acquisition.

I suspect the land offices are riddled with this stuff. However, they seem to be emerging largely unscathed in this "corruption crackdown".

It all feels like an untold story.

Oh I see they made a mistake in the thread title again, let me correct it for you all.

Illegally acquired land in hands of selective influential people face seizure

"SELECTIVE" spot on there mate, only those without the right amount of money and connections will have land seized...

" Influential people " Stop fluffing around and call a criminal a bloody criminal, simple, If they got the land illegally then they are criminals, Although there are exceptions to the rule and that is if the chanote is not correct or suspect, then that isn't an illegal acquirement of land just not doing a thorough check on the land at the ampure.

Also in some cases it takes several months to a year or more to have the land surveyed by government to give the all clear, so this is also a problem when innocent buyers can be the victim of " Influential people " with dodgy land titles..

As for giving land for the poor ok cool, but Who will be in charge of that one???

O'l Suthep did a bang up job on land give always to rich family's instead of the poor and never faced a charge and some DONKEYS here still like this _______!!!

I'll wager there are no police and no soldiers caught in this particular net. Cosmetic only, to make the boss seem like he really does have the interests of Thai people at heart.

Look for lots of sweeteners and populist initiatives in the lead-up to the referendum. We already had the palm-oil thing for the ex-monk. Now this...

They can be as selective as they like in targeting the "influential people" they want to give a bloody nose!

Why should it be subject to judicial review? Many countries, including the US and Oz have laws where assets suspected of being illegally obtained or the proceeds of crime can be seized without judicial review. All you have to is prove how your assets were legally obtained, not difficult for the honest citizen.

Why should it be subject to judicial review? Many countries, including the US and Oz have laws where assets suspected of being illegally obtained or the proceeds of crime can be seized without judicial review. All you have to is prove how your assets were legally obtained, not difficult for the honest citizen.

I should imagine, since you mention the USA and Australia, that those laws were debated by the appropriate parliament (elected), passed by a majority vote and are subject to some form of check and/or appeal process. They may even have been part of a manifesto presented to the electorate in a general election. Here it's at the whim of a self appointed junta leader. There is quite a significant difference.

Oh I see they made a mistake in the thread title again, let me correct it for you all.

Illegally acquired land in hands of selective influential people face seizure

"SELECTIVE" spot on there mate, only those without the right amount of money and connections will have land seized...

" Influential people " Stop fluffing around and call a criminal a bloody criminal, simple, If they got the land illegally then they are criminals, Although there are exceptions to the rule and that is if the chanote is not correct or suspect, then that isn't an illegal acquirement of land just not doing a thorough check on the land at the ampure.

Also in some cases it takes several months to a year or more to have the land surveyed by government to give the all clear, so this is also a problem when innocent buyers can be the victim of " Influential people " with dodgy land titles..

As for giving land for the poor ok cool, but Who will be in charge of that one???

O'l Suthep did a bang up job on land give always to rich family's instead of the poor and never faced a charge and some DONKEYS here still like this _______!!!

And how come the Shin clan governments that have held power for nearly all this century never ever did anything about your unproven accusation? Or their tame police or the DSI under Tarit who did whatever they said?

Hate him, like him, or be totally ambivalent, he's not been convicted of anything in the context you report.

All land that has been illegally stolen by anyone should be forfeit and those involved prosecuted. But that would require an impartial investigative force and a sound judicial system along with non corrupt civil servants. And that ain't in existence.

So, you run the risk of being punished for such things if the lot you support is out of power. Tit for tat, the same as in all Mickey Mouse third world countries.