Chinese tourist falls to her death at Bangkok hotel

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Land of falling bodies, LOFB! I would be interested to see how this compares, with other Asean countries? To me it seems abnormal!

Or any other country.I bet that LOS would be the leader.

Do some research on Filipino maids 'falling' out of windows in Hong Kong. That might make you think twice . Not an uncommon way to end a contract for under performance....or the husbands over performance if you get my drift.

Edited by Mudcrab

i was going to leave all my fishing kit to a bar girl, on second thoughts i don't think i will tell her now, not very good at flyng. r.i.p. dear lady

The bar girls I know have no need for additional kit....they are well equipped to pull them in, hook, line and sinker. Bait is always at hand whistling.gif

Edited by Mudcrab

Talk to the Chinese interpol. Find out if hubby has a gf. If my wife is missing from my room, I...I..I go out to look for her. I do not contact the hotel people who do not know her. The report does not indicate what she was wearing at the time. When a woman decides to commit suicide, the most important thing in her mind is her appearance when she is dead. The act of committing suicide is the act of making a statement (been there done that and <deleted> that up, too.) If she had dressed as she was normally dressed, I don't buy it. If her apparel was unique, she offed herself.

You didn't read the part in the OP about the white shirt and white shorts orange flip flops and mental illness.....naughty boy...read before you post.

I recall reading somewhere that Singapore & Hong Kong are the only places in the world where jumping from a great height is the preferred method for committing suicide.

The preferred method in Hong Kong is to rent a holiday flat on one of the many outlaying islands (Cheung Chau is particularly popular), then light charcoal in a metal charcoal burner whilst drinking heavily and perhaps taking some pills to help put yourself to sleep.

The charcoal burns and you don't wake up.

That is how a few people I knew did it and possibly how I would do it if I was trying to kill myself.

Relatively few people jump in HK.

Really? You seem to know for a fact that "relatively few people jump in HK"... Where do you get your information?

"Suicide is still a sensitive topic in Asian countries. Since 1997, Hong Kong has experienced one of the most drastic changes in its suicide rate. The rate rocketed from 12.5 per 100,000 in 1997 to a historical high of 18.6 in 2003, almost a 50% climb for the seven-year period. Although we have not yet returned to the level of 1997, the reduction of 23.3% between 2003 and 2009 (13.8 per 100,000 in 2009) is significant and phenomenal (http://csrp.hku.hk). Nevertheless, the Hong Kong suicide rate is still at about the world average, and higher than that of the US (10.0), UK (7.0) and Australia (11.0). It definitely underscores calls for participation from the wider community to tackle the problems of suicide prevention. In Hong Kong, a higher suicide prevalence was noted in males, with a gender ratio (M:F) of 2:1, though the ratio is lower than that of the Western countries. In 2009, jumping from a height (52%) was the most frequent suicide method for all age groups, then by hanging (21%) and charcoal burning (18%). As more than 80% of the population live in high-rise buildings, this provides an accessible and lethal method of suicide; the case fatality rate of jumping is over 90%. The charcoal-burning suicide method from carbon monoxide poisoning has contributed to both the rise and decline of the suicide rate for the period 1997-2007."

Source: http://www.mindmap.hk/featuring/suicide-in-hong-kong/

Is that picture really necessary?

Absolutely thought the same thing.

Just imagine the distress it would/could cause the family. TOTALLY POOR TASTE. shame on Thai visa . .

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

I recall reading somewhere that Singapore & Hong Kong are the only places in the world where jumping from a great height is the preferred method for committing suicide.

The preferred method in Hong Kong is to rent a holiday flat on one of the many outlaying islands (Cheung Chau is particularly popular), then light charcoal in a metal charcoal burner whilst drinking heavily and perhaps taking some pills to help put yourself to sleep.

The charcoal burns and you don't wake up.

That is how a few people I knew did it and possibly how I would do it if I was trying to kill myself.

Relatively few people jump in HK.

Really? You seem to know for a fact that "relatively few people jump in HK"... Where do you get your information?

"Suicide is still a sensitive topic in Asian countries. Since 1997, Hong Kong has experienced one of the most drastic changes in its suicide rate. The rate rocketed from 12.5 per 100,000 in 1997 to a historical high of 18.6 in 2003, almost a 50% climb for the seven-year period. Although we have not yet returned to the level of 1997, the reduction of 23.3% between 2003 and 2009 (13.8 per 100,000 in 2009) is significant and phenomenal (http://csrp.hku.hk). Nevertheless, the Hong Kong suicide rate is still at about the world average, and higher than that of the US (10.0), UK (7.0) and Australia (11.0). It definitely underscores calls for participation from the wider community to tackle the problems of suicide prevention. In Hong Kong, a higher suicide prevalence was noted in males, with a gender ratio (M:F) of 2:1, though the ratio is lower than that of the Western countries. In 2009, jumping from a height (52%) was the most frequent suicide method for all age groups, then by hanging (21%) and charcoal burning (18%). As more than 80% of the population live in high-rise buildings, this provides an accessible and lethal method of suicide; the case fatality rate of jumping is over 90%. The charcoal-burning suicide method from carbon monoxide poisoning has contributed to both the rise and decline of the suicide rate for the period 1997-2007."

Source: http://www.mindmap.hk/featuring/suicide-in-hong-kong/

I lived in Hong Kong from 1973 to 2008 and during the time I lived there suicide by jumping never seemed very common. Charcoal burning was always the one you'd read about in the news.

But I stand corrected, it seems my fellow Hong Kongers did start jumping from tall buildings more often.

I'd wager Thailand is at least #2 in the world for hotel/condo jumpers. Perhaps even #1. China's live-in factory workers don't count.

its substandard balconies, specifically low railings, not jumpers.

im on the 10 th floor and i warm people to stay away from the windows, esp if they have hàd a beer or two, and to never sit on the window sills.

The first sudden death I dealt with as a young police officer was a student who jumped from a car park 65 feet up (about 20 metres) and hit the concrete below. Every bone in his body was broken except his left arm, and we had a hell of a job lifting him onto a stretcher as everything was disconnected and floppy. It was quick, but not a method I would choose.

I had many happier days after that, but a number of sad ones as well.

There are way too many deaths in Thailand by this method. I have noticed that in Hotels, Condo's and Service Apartments the balcony railings are very low and a person could easily fall. The article does not state the cause of the fall. Once you rle out murder and suicide that leaves accident. The building codes need to be revised to place some type of screen over the balconies or wire meshing to avoid these type of accidents and raise the height of the balcony railing. These accidents can be prevented. In the West, the owners would be paying out millions for unsafe conditions and negligence.

Agreed. When i purchased my condo, the first thing i altered was the railing height. I had a local stainless steel company add railings to make it two feet higher making it almost impossible to "fall" over, but one would have to climb over. My condo manager or board has not complained as it's not the most strictly governed complex.

I know some condo complexes have very nice ocean views and would rather not disturb their view from the middle of the room while lying in bed, but for me safety presides. I am also aware that many condo RCRs would prohibit independent exterior modifications that would alter the uniformity of the building appearance. Perhaps another solution may have to be developed, but some railings are definitely below my center of gravity and i am of average Western height.

Be careful and warn your visiting friends to approach the railings carefully, especially if the tile floor is wet and slippery. Committing suicide is a different issue than an easily preventable accidental death.

The high frequency of falls from buildings in Thailand is caused by low railings as a direct result of poor design and a lack of strict building codes along with inspections.

Yep, definatly think low railings are are a contributing factor in some falls Perhaps its time designers wake up and realise not ALL asians are short.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why not? The story is about a lady who jumped to her death and the photo shows the aftermath.

Stop being so soft.

This is real life.

You wouldn't be saying that if the picture was one of your loved ones, if you've got any, that is

Why not? The story is about a lady who jumped to her death and the photo shows the aftermath.

Stop being so soft.

This is real life.

A: it's unnecessary, just voyeurism for sick minds.

B: it is disrespectful to the victim (and those who commit suicide are victims) and their family.

C: I'll maintain whatever emotional state of being I choose. You have no say.

D: just because it's real life, it doesn't make it right to show such images.

Edited by Bluespunk