is it possible to bring a motorbike into Thailand?

Hi all,

Apology if this has been covered before, I am married to a thai national and we have property near Pattaya. I have several motorbikes in the UK and one of them ( BMW R1200C) would be a great bike to amble around on in Thailand - is it possible to import it from the UK into Thailand?

It's 15yrs old so only worth about £3k but a great fun bike and looks good too!

Grabbit.

Yes, you can bring it.

Normally calculate 150% of the value in import taxes and duty.

The value is what the customs decide, not your estimate.

Simple search on Thaivisa will show customs that your bike should cost 600.000

So, calculate 400.000 in taxes and fees.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/374011-bmw-r1200c-independent/

Sad, but better forget it.

Successful reports are rare like snow in Phuket.

I don't know a single one from a personal talk nor any in this forum.

Just because they are not reported either to you personally, or on Thaivisa, does not mean that imports do not happen.

Contrary to most member's views Thaivisa is not the centre of the universe and should not be considered to be an oracle, in fact the vast majority of people in Thailand, and outside the country, are unaware of it's existence so there is no reason for any vehicle imports to be detailed here necessarily.

Edited by Scouse Twoccer

The correct answer to the OP is yes, a motorbike can be imported into Thailand.

you seem to know more about this than others. can you please give us more details?

cheers

What more detail do you require apart from the fact that the import of one's own motorbike is not prohibited, therefore it is possible?

you seem to know more about this than others. can you please give us more details?

cheers

What more detail do you require apart from the fact that the import of one's own motorbike is not prohibited, therefore it is possible?

i thought you could enlighten us with some facts, links to validated info etc. as many on this forum - including me - appear to have received information to the contrary. there are lots of people here who would like to learn something from you. can you help?

You have one successful report from me. Taxes all in all amounted to about 100% of my estimated value.

I have heard of this before.When it arrived at the airport there it stayed.The best thing to do is sell it where your at.Then go buy one in Thailand.If you like all kinds of headaches and paying big taxes bring it in.You'll wish you hadn't.

cheers

I can marry a 25 year old Thai movie star also, but I would expect advice from Thai Visa members that my odds are against it. Just like, yes you can legally import a motorcycle into Thailand, but expect to pay more than it is worth to do so

You have one successful report from me. Taxes all in all amounted to about 100% of my estimated value.

One of the few useful posts in this thread.

I remember to have read some number like 95% tax some years ago.

Thanks for the input - Gkroo, that link was really useful, many thanks, it looks like a vehicle over 10yrs old attracts a 70% discount on the customs fees. I'll contact an import / export agent to see about costs.

Grabbit

Thanks for the input - Gkroo, that link was really useful, many thanks, it looks like a vehicle over 10yrs old attracts a 70% discount on the customs fees. I'll contact an import / export agent to see about costs.

Grabbit

Just suppose that you get the bike imported and remember that the customs fees are decided by Customs and not you, the discount is on their valuation. Don't forget there will also be storage charges plus VAT to pay as well and they will go on the bill before you get the discount.

Having got this far how are you going to register it?

Will it pass the emission test which can cost a large sum of money upfront with no refund it it fails the test.

Just think about the fact that if it was that easy then This would be doing it right left and centre, importers would be doing great business and Thailand would be overrun with second hand big bikes.

Personally I wish you the best of luck and I hope that it works out for you.

Invest in cash and brown envelopes as you may need them. Even so that is getting a bit dodgy nowadays.

Grabbit

Problem will be that the value estimation for older bikes will be up the the officers whim. They have a book for values, but bikes 10+ years are not in the book.

Grabbit

Problem will be that the value estimation for older bikes will be up the the officers whim. They have a book for values, but bikes 10+ years are not in the book.

yes, i agree 100%. the old 'living with thai' problem of believing / relying on the printed word.

and than everyone you deal with makes up his/her own rule and interpretation.

i sincerely hope the op succeeds by i sincerely doubt he will. i sold my 5 year old suzuki c109 in oz last year after having looked into what i believe to be ALL possible options to get her here.

some things seem so possible on paper but they turn out to be so elusive once you start dealing with thai bureaucracy.

and given that the 'i can do' posters all seem to have gone back to dreamland perhaps we will discuss this again many more times.

post-222491-0-20439100-1463220225_thumb.

Grabbit

yes, i agree 100%. the old 'living with thai' problem of believing / relying on the printed word.

and than everyone you deal with makes up his/her own rule and interpretation.

i sincerely hope the op succeeds by i sincerely doubt he will. i sold my 5 year old suzuki c109 in oz last year after having looked into what i believe to be ALL possible options to get her here.

some things seem so possible on paper but they turn out to be so elusive once you start dealing with thai bureaucracy.

and given that the 'i can do' posters all seem to have gone back to dreamland perhaps we will discuss this again many more times.

And maybe next time it might be in the Motor bike forum too!

So from my understanding 2or 3 years ago a complete ban was issued on importing 2 nd hand vehicles....most will agree this is fact.......to those who say you can still import is there any link to anywhere that says they have lifted this ban because I can't seem to find one anywhere????

Yes, pure theoretical it is still possible to import a motorcycle you owned before coming to Thailand. But, the trick is that you now-a-day need to have a valid import license for any motorcycle you want to import.

Say you paid about everybody you could find some money so you could import the motorcycle…. Your motorcycle will never be road legal, the first obstacle will probably be the missing Import License, which is now-a-day a needed document to get any motorcycle registered and second you will need to pay about 100k THB only on exhaust emission and environmental impact testing (the 100k THB is only for testing not for mechanical service or motorcycle parts you may need to pass Thai exhaust emission rules).

Not forget that a 2016 BMW R1200RT sold in Germany will not pass Thai exhaust emission rules without a “upgraded” fuel injection map firmware package… (And good luck getting BMW Thailand to help you, they offer ZERO support on what they call illegal imported vehicles).

I know someone who imported a classic MG into Thailand at least 10 years agoit took him2 years to get the permission to import paper work, he refused to pay tea money,. They would ask for some new paper work every time he returned to the office with what they asked for earlier. He thinks they finally gave him the permission because they were tired of dealing with him. He imported it and can be seen driving around chiang mai now and then

I know someone who imported a classic MG into Thailand at least 10 years agoit took him2 years to get the permission to import paper work, he refused to pay tea money,. They would ask for some new paper work every time he returned to the office with what they asked for earlier. He thinks they finally gave him the permission because they were tired of dealing with him. He imported it and can be seen driving around chiang mai now and then

10 years ago it was very easy to import vs now days.

Everybody who says it's currently still possible to fully legally import a used motorcycle, should read this article in the English language newspaper The Nation Multimedia http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ban-on-imports-of-used-vehicles-30180164.html

As far as I know you can still get a Import license for special cases, lets say you have a BSA G30 V-twin from the '30s.... you maybe get a import license... (Not that you will be able to get it road legal, but for motorcycles like that the police in Thailand looks generally the other way on special historical events).....

My Dyna came over via air freight. Over 15 years ago. Direct to Pattaya and then sold to me. Full legal green book. I did not find out until a few years later that it was 'acquired' in Japan via means which do not bear repeating.

As Richard says above - which is right on the money - sure you can do it, but at what cost ? Same as the never ending IDP debate running here and in Motor Forum. Sure, you do not need it. Until you do. Smile, provide all the paperwork, smile again, ride away. Or bear the brunt of the endless hassle. Make your choice.

Everybody who says it's currently still possible to fully legally import a used motorcycle, should read this article in the English language newspaper The Nation Multimedia http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Ban-on-imports-of-used-vehicles-30180164.html

As far as I know you can still get a Import license for special cases, lets say you have a BSA G30 V-twin from the '30s.... you maybe get a import license... (Not that you will be able to get it road legal, but for motorcycles like that the police in Thailand looks generally the other way on special historical events).....

I don't know how the Gray Market importers do it, but they seem to be able to bring in all sorts of cars without problems. Most of them seem to come from either UK or Japan .

I don't know how the Gray Market importers do it, but they seem to be able to bring in all sorts of cars without problems. Most of them seem to come from either UK or Japan .

If you use a bit of intelligence, you could figure out that the Coupe style (two door) and general sports-cares are missing from the list.... Back to the topic, used, and foreign preregistered motorcycles are all baned, actually in 2013 with the support of Thailand favorite manufacturer, Honda, the Thai Government even banned some used parts (actually a lot) of being imported.... For instance if you import wheels, make sure they not have tires on them.... otherwise you never get them.... It's is since 2013, illegal to import used tires, shipped as individually or part of any vehicle.... So even if you import a motorcycle, and have a import license you get f.cked because the tires are obvious used....

If you think I kidding you.... no I'm not....

I was thinking of buying a damaged Harley in Australia taking the fuel and oil tanks off + engine, transfer case, gearbox and rear drive swing arm bringing it over and sourcing the frame forks, wheels and minor bits here in LOS. Assemble it myself and then take it to LTD for the plates. It shouldn't be hard to do! whistling.gif