What are people doing with all the bandwidth?

attrayant

Default test size for testmy.net seemed to be 1.5MB. Clicking on "reset size" runs the test at 256kB and 1.3MB. Using the option to manually select test size (options are from 256kB to 200MB) and selecting 50MB test size:

J06v21NRx.png

Edited by wpcoe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suspect there is a routing issue to Dallas on True using that site as below are my results using same default settings.

Using VPN to Singapore and testing on that link:

Without VPN directly using True from Bangkok:

Interesting. I wonder what routing True uses to Dallas. I just tried the testmy.net to Dallas using Strong VPN in San Francisco and even it is higher. Notice that in the beginning of the test, it was really sailing along:

post-33251-0-55326200-1463538424_thumb.g

[edited to add:]

I re-ran the test without the VPN to see if the speed had the wide (181%) variation with testing direct to Dallas, but it didn't:

TiP Summary - Minimum :: 1.79 Mbps | Middle :: 1.9 Mbps | Maximum :: 1.92 Mbps

-- a mere 2% variation.

Edited by wpcoe

Here's my Speedtest.net and testmy.net results to Dallas at 2:50pm. Big difference between the two testers. I'm on a True DOCSIS 15Mb/1.5Mb plan here in Bangkok. Notice how Speedtest.net gives great results---I always take OOKLA/flashbased speedtester results such as Speedtest.net with a BIG grain of salt as they are more easily fooled by local cache servers.

One thing for sure, just from the feel of my browsing right now, I'm not getting 16Mb to the U.S. regardless of what Speedtest.net results say.

Speedtest.net to Dallas (non VPN)

post-55970-0-86465600-1463558298_thumb.j

Testmy.net to Dallas (non VPN) with it Automatically selecting the download file size. And if manually selecting a 25MB download size it only increase a little bit. However when switching to a VPN connection via San Francisco I get a 4.6Mb speed result to Dallas.

post-55970-0-88782300-1463558265_thumb.j

Edited by Pib