PM wants students to spend less time in classrooms but more time on critical thinking

webfact

PM wants students to spend less time in classrooms but more time on critical thinking

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FqtWk02j37UQ1sqJh5lXL7i

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Education was instructed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to press ahead with the government’s policy for students to spend less time studying textbooks in classrooms but to spend more time on critical thinking and learning, said Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd, spokesman of the government, on Sunday.

He noted that the government’s policy was warmly received by many parents of students who wanted to see their kids spend less time studying textbooks in classrooms but spend more time on learning and other activities.

Maj-Gen Sansern said that the prime minister had wanted to see Thai students being capable of critical thinking and ethical, pointing out that school administrators, in the past, were not strict enough with their students on promoting critical thinking.

As most schools are due to open on Monday for the next semester, the prime minister has reminded school administrators to pay attention to four main issues: gambling especially football gambling among students especially during the European soccer tournament from June 10-July 10; dengue fever and Zika virus; road accidents; and student brawls, said the spokesman.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163386

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-16

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Ministry of Education was instructed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to press ahead with the government’s policy for students to spend less time studying textbooks in classrooms but to spend more time on critical thinking and learning..."

Talk about pointing a gun at your own head.

Edited by jaltsc

the prime minister has reminded school administrators to pay attention to four main issues: gambling especially football gambling among students especially during the European soccer tournament from June 10-July 10; dengue fever and Zika virus; road accidents; and student brawls

Interesting choice of four main issues for educators to focus on.

Thai teachers and school administrators have been doing all they can to reduce classroom time for many years.

Canceling classes to play games, practice dancing,, put on shows, celebrate any sort of "special day" they can imagine, meetings for teachers, visits from monks.. sport days and practicing for sport days....the list goes on and on.

When I was a teacher in Thailand it was very rare to go a full week without having classes canceled, sometimes full days of teaching canceled, and often with no previously notice.

This is not done to promote critical thinking.

This is done because teachers like to avoid teaching!

Think about what? Ever seen the natives thinking critically or thinking at all? Unless its food its not thought about.

No reader of the future but I'd guess given the extra free time will = extra phone time, students I mean not teachers. Well, them as well.

Critical thinking in critical times requires critical consideration , however while some will be doing critical thinking some others will be thinking and actual talking , but not what Un-Elected self appointed P.M. Prayut would wish to hear...........................................coffee1.gif .

The good general seems to be a bit confused. Critical thinking usually takes debate, which, thanks to article 44, is illegal in some areas. We learned to think by reading books that dwelled in gray areas. Not sure how he wishes to accomplish this.

The good general seems to be a bit confused. Critical thinking usually takes debate, which, thanks to article 44, is illegal in some areas. We learned to think by reading books that dwelled in gray areas. Not sure how he wishes to accomplish this.

I think it was probably just another of the many brain farts from a man who is not exactly Stephen Hawking himself..

The government has been saying they want critical thinking taught in Thai schools for many years now.

The problem is in the higher education system itself.

New teachers, fresh out of the university, have never been exposed to critical thinking and have no idea of what it even is.

They are still being instructed on how to use the rote method of teaching in the universities.

As a result, teachers, both new and old are ignoring the governments instructions to start using the critical thinking method of teaching.

A change to using the critical thinking method needs to start at the top with the teachers.

They can not be expected to use a method of teaching that they have not learned themselves.

Aren't thoughts and being critical ilegal in Thailand? Weren't 4 students arrested for critical thinking and the mother of 1 facing 15 yrs imprisonment for not curbing his thoughts. Come on People think critically, I have the trucks and soldiers waiting for your thoughts.

Any change in tack by the Thai education system from focusing on obedience and deference to those in more senior positions to teaching critical thinking will inevitably lead to those young people challenging the existing power structure and questioning the unjustifiable inequities in Thai society.

The PM will soon backtrack on this one. Or more likely just forget what he has said and nothing will happen.

Think, but don't speak your mind if it's not in line with prescribed government ideas.

Sobriety check: Thailand has many students who study business, in order to get U degrees, because they and their parents are seized on the idea that a biz degree will guarantee the highest salary. Money is God.

Yet, how many Thais are well-versed in alternative power? Answer: nearly zero. How many Thais are developing cutting edge technology re; generating power from rivers, tides, waves, jetstream, or thermal. My educated guess is: ZERO.

Thailand has hundreds of thousands of biz graduates, but nearly no experts on alternative power.

P.S. What to biz graduates do? Essentially try to tweak and cheat the system to try and make as much money as possible.

Edited by boomerangutang

What a good idea!

However as with all "pronouncements" one needs to look at the source, which in this case appears to be someone who has not only shown few signs of even the remotest understanding what critical thinking actually is but has made several pronouncements that would indicate he himself practices the exact opposite

..or does he think his songs or reciting the 12 values etc. represent or engender critical thinking??

so this leaves one with the overwhelming feeling of "What the...........!?!?!?!"

This sounds like a small but very positive step in the right direction, and I welcome the announcement. However, such a fundamental change in the education process will require a sustained, long term effort that will require teacher re-training and a re-write of the current curriculum.

There needs to be a well researched roadmap and significant funding to achieve this, so I can only hope this statement is going to be followed up with the necessary resources, comittment and effort to make it happen.

well a lot of parents are critical of Schools, they often wonder why they have to buy several different uniforms, what's the point of that? Ordinary uniform one day, girl guide another, Friday it's often pajama day and so on, madness.

I teach my students that they must think by them selves but sadly to say only about 20% of them are really interested.

Even when I just give them a small problem to salve they want clues how to solve it, so then I just tell them that all they need is in the papers that I have given to them or if they want to do it the buffalo way... google it. Usually they try to solve the problem after that conversation as no one wants to be a buffalo...