Jomtien Hotel Security Boxes Robbed in Suspicious Circumstances

webfact

what a stupid article, I believe it is either 'very lost in translation' or not true at all.

what hotel staff would let somebody in the safe room with a hood and a mask?

and with cctv clearly visible ?

come on, now !!

The same thing happend long ago when i was in chanredasa bali.

The gang gave the staff a poppa drink each while supposedly booking in.

Robbed the place and safety deposit boxes.

One staff member ended up with per. brain damage from the drug given.

Gang was reported to be Italian

This is either a very stupid staff or they were in on the heist. My guess is both.

Handing out master key to a masked man without any ID and who don't even live in the hotel is normal behavior in Thailand.

Wonder if the RTP asked the staff any questions at all.

Maybe this is a new "hotel security box scam"?

Thailand the hub of Scams sad.png

Edited by bander

From my experience it always needs 2 keys:

Key 1: - The individual key, specific to each box number, currently issued to guest XXXXX.

Key 2: - A master key which is the same for every security box in that 'bank' of security boxes. Must be used in conjunction with key 1 above.

This story seems to suggest having the master key alone gives total access to open every security box.?

Um.....I think you'll find that 99.9% of hotel security boxes of this nature are a single key set of boxes bought at Homepro or similar.

They certainly won't be Bank grade security boxes (where one keeps one's gold bullion and bearer bonds) with twin key entry.

So a single "master" key is quite normal to access all/any boxes by staff - which is a worry. A bash with a partially boiled potato would probably open the doors anyway.

I never use hotel security boxes or safes. Prime targets for any little tea leaf.

I have seen twin key security boxes behind several hotel reception desks in Thailand, usually the older Vietnam war R&R hotels and I always wondered if they still used 2 keys or had disabled one level of key & just used one now to save the staff the bother of having proper security. After all, TIT, this is Thailand. Perhaps now I know the answer.!!!!!!

The masked hoodie wearing guy gets the key from staff at 11PM but the police are not called until 3:30 PM the next day ? Hotel staff didn't notice the key was not returned, nobody noticed the boxes had been rifled? The report doesn't add up. Well, doesn't add up correctly.

Why did the staff even have access to a master key? Holding master keys is the job of the building manager.

Thais and security. What a joke.

Not at all.

One of the area golf courses money manager's office safe was ransacked during the night some time ago. Police could not collect fingerprints because there were too many different fingerprints on and around the safe lock system. Further investigation showed the money manager locked the safe door when she went home with just one (1) key which she did put in a hiding place (known by all who patronized her office) the other key she NEVER used and was laying in her desk drawer which of course also was NOT locked. Then to add insult to injury she NEVER used the number rotating lock. All in all 2-million cash had been taken in addition to 1-million in gold jewelry. This being Thailand the famous Mai Pin Rai. The insurance Company covered the loss. The police did throw up their arms, can't blame them.

Now couple years later all safes on the property are still ONLY locked with one (1) key. As Bernard Trink would say TIT.

When my wife and I stayed in Golden Palace Hotel in Bangkok several times through the 90's we used the safe deposit boxes and were told that no master key was available and that if we lost our key we would have to pay for a locksmith to attend to open the box and replace the lock for a new one. Far more secure and also made one more security conscious.

From my experience it always needs 2 keys:

Key 1: - The individual key, specific to each box number, currently issued to guest XXXXX.

Key 2: - A master key which is the same for every security box in that 'bank' of security boxes. Must be used in conjunction with key 1 above.

This story seems to suggest having the master key alone gives total access to open every security box.?

Yes, and a hefty deposit or charge if you lose your key as the lock will have to be drilled out.

This appears not to be the case here. Rather poor facilities offered by this place, similar to years ago when all residents valuables were kept in a single hotel safe. There was a case of a night manager having access to one some years ago and he did a runner with the lot.

Better not to even use such facilities, although they may have kept the fact that there was a single master key from the residents. There is also a similar risk with electronic room safes which have an over-ride code or key.

And how will the hotel address these losses.... Sir you keep your valuables in them at your own risk and we employ thieves.

Edited by jacko45k

In my days of working with international hotel chains there were 2 locks but no master key to gain access to both locks. In the event of a lost key then locks had to be drilled with the guest paying for this together with the new locks. Just sayin'.

Were u a bellboy?

I don`t see a problem. The hotel management will apologise to the Russian couple for their gross incompetence and compensate them the sum of $5000 equivalent in Thai bahts and the couple will live happily ever after.

OMG! What fantasy world do you live in? It must be so pleasant there! I have had much smaller types of incidence and the staff/manager will look embarrassed and hide in the backroom until you leave. I have never heard from any tourist ever of any type of compensation from a Thai business.

That is why I never use "public" safes in hotels or Condos or whereever. I have my own way to lock my things away and never anything got stolen in more than 20 years of frequent traveling around Asia and South America

That is why I never use "public" safes in hotels or Condos or whereever. I have my own way to lock my things away and never anything got stolen in more than 20 years of frequent traveling around Asia and South America

Keistering?