Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Disappointed. I miss the days when when Chelsea would push all the way for 90+ minutes. These days 70 minutes seems to be the maximum.

As much as we looked the fitter team a few years ago, today the others look fitter. :-(

Disappointed. I miss the days when when Chelsea would push all the way for 90+ minutes. These days 70 minutes seems to be the maximum.

As much as we looked the fitter team a few years ago, today the others look fitter. :-(

Absolutely gutted for you.

Thank you Carmine. I knew you were a softie at heart. :-)

Thank you Carmine. I knew you were a softie at heart. :-)

Oscar was good but blowing a lead like that...

Before the kick off,Ray Wilkins announced that he was "dumfounded" that John Terry wasn't playing because of Stoke's aerial threat. So what is Gary Cahill,chopped liver? We also had David Luiz,Ivanovic,Mikel,Torres and,of course,Cech to defend set pieces.This we managed to do quite effectively except when Walters hit the bar. Even with Terry on the pitch,Stoke will always be a threat in the air.

I was delighted to see Ramires draughted into the centre of midfield with Mata,Hazard and Oscar operating just ahead of him. The link up play was good but,unfortunately for us,Torres had an off day,although he worked hard to find space. The goal was a terrific move,with a Mata flick into the path of Cole who lifted the ball over Bergovic.

Before the kick off,Ray Wilkins announced that he was "dumfounded" that John Terry wasn't playing because of Stoke's aerial threat. So what is Gary Cahill,chopped liver? We also had David Luiz,Ivanovic,Mikel,Torres and,of course,Cech to defend set pieces.This we managed to do quite effectively except when Walters hit the bar. Even with Terry on the pitch,Stoke will always be a threat in the air.

I was delighted to see Ramires draughted into the centre of midfield with Mata,Hazard and Oscar operating just ahead of him. The link up play was good but,unfortunately for us,Torres had an off day,although he worked hard to find space. The goal was a terrific move,with a Mata flick into the path of Cole who lifted the ball over Bergovic.

I didn,t see the game Og,i was caddying but i do have tickets for the Wovles game for me and the Mrs,and i expect to see the new right back get he,s chance and moses to start and bertrand and basically most of the first team. I,m really looking forward to it. Good decision by Terry to quit international duty,but if he feels his position was untenable,what about Roy Hodgson he was quite happy to pick him? Edited by keithsimmonds

You guys have been the least convincing table-topping club for a long while. Ive seen most of your CL performances, several unexciting ones (Saturdays was dreary!) and Torres and Hazard have been unconvincing on several occasions. Just saying - not meaning to wind you up, well maybe, but I would counter-balance it by saying that your team has some great individuals and is quite clearly capable of raising its game and taking points off us this weekend at the Emirates.

[Yeah I know, why should you care? points mean prizes! Looking at Romans face on Saturday I think he shared my view though :-)]

I didn,t see the game Og,i was caddying but i do have tickets for the Wovles game for me and the Mrs,and i expect to see the new right back get he,s chance and moses to start and bertrand and basically most of the first team. I,m really looking forward to it. Good decision by Terry to quit international duty,but if he feels his position was untenable,what about Roy Hodgson he was quite happy to pick him?

It was a typically gritty performance by Stoke,Keith. Frustrating us at every opportunity.Too many times,Hazard and Oscar came in field to try to thread balls through the packed defence. It got very conjested there.

Yeah, the game tonight will be an ideal opportunity for De Matteo to start with Cesar and Moses.We might even see Piazon as well. With Arsenal coming up at the Emirates,I reckon Bertrand will play there, rather than tonight, as protection for Cole the tortoise.

You guys have been the least convincing table-topping club for a long while. Ive seen most of your CL performances, several unexciting ones (Saturdays was dreary!) and Torres and Hazard have been unconvincing on several occasions. Just saying - not meaning to wind you up, well maybe, but I would counter-balance it by saying that your team has some great individuals and is quite clearly capable of raising its game and taking points off us this weekend at the Emirates.

[Yeah I know, why should you care? points mean prizes! Looking at Romans face on Saturday I think he shared my view though :-)]

I agree that we haven't played well lately although,after 5 games into the season and with a load of expensive young lads drafted in,it's not surprising there are some inconsistent performances. Look at Arsenal,Santi. After the first two games,all the 'TV judges' were wringing their hands and wondering aloud where the goals were going to come from! Not one of them said that "Not to worry,I can see them scoring a hatful in their next two games." No mention of Arsenal's goal drought now,is there? It was the same scenario with the defence. Nothing but praise for Arsenal's new found resilience, attributed to Steve Bould and Craig Burley was leading the plaudits. Then comes the headed goal by Lescott and,quick as a flash, Burley earnestly opines that Arsenal's territorial (and Steve Bould's?) system of marking ,as opposed to man to man, is "giving him kittens." No mention of it before the game or after their first two games, was there?

I don't like footballers in general,whoever they play for, but I despise even more ex players who snugly sit on their comfy TV studio couches and are feted by the presenters as 'experts' in their field. Why? Because they've PLAYED at a certain level? I know plenty of spectators,including some on this forum,who would leave them for dust when it comes to knowledge of the game.

I agree that we haven't played well lately although,after 5 games into the season and with a load of expensive young lads drafted in,it's not surprising there are some inconsistent performances. Look at Arsenal,Santi. After the first two games,all the 'TV judges' were wringing their hands and wondering aloud where the goals were going to come from! Not one of them said that "Not to worry,I can see them scoring a hatful in their next two games." No mention of Arsenal's goal drought now,is there? It was the same scenario with the defence. Nothing but praise for Arsenal's new found resilience, attributed to Steve Bould and Craig Burley was leading the plaudits. Then comes the headed goal by Lescott and,quick as a flash, Burley earnestly opines that Arsenal's territorial (and Steve Bould's?) system of marking ,as opposed to man to man, is "giving him kittens." No mention of it before the game or after their first two games, was there?

I don't like footballers in general,whoever they play for, but I despise even more ex players who snugly sit on their comfy TV studio couches and are feted by the presenters as 'experts' in their field. Why? Because they've PLAYED at a certain level? I know plenty of spectators,including some on this forum,who would leave them for dust when it comes to knowledge of the game.

Yeah - agree with all of that. Ex-managers/coaches tend to make better commentators/pundits than do the ex-players. As siad by Stevie on the Liverpool thread Neville is a shining example of a good ex-player commentator/analyst.

Yeah - agree with all of that. Ex-managers/coaches tend to make better commentators/pundits than do the ex-players. As siad by Stevie on the Liverpool thread Neville is a shining example of a good ex-player commentator/analyst.

He makes some good observations but even he struggles to string a sentence together. The fact that he's currently a standout is all the more damning.

You,ll never wind me up mate,unless you start quoting Danny Baker. As for our somewhat lame performances at times this season,i put the blame squarely at Di Matteo,s feet.He is not willing to take positive steps and play the football with the players our owner has bought for him,he is far too negative. We need injurys and suspensions to the like,s of Terry and Cole and Lampard and Mikel and then maybe just maybe he,ll play the team and the football that we wan,t.

You,ll never wind me up mate,unless you start quoting Danny Baker. As for our somewhat lame performances at times this season,i put the blame squarely at Di Matteo,s feet.He is not willing to take positive steps and play the football with the players our owner has bought for him,he is far too negative. We need injurys and suspensions to the like,s of Terry and Cole and Lampard and Mikel and then maybe just maybe he,ll play the team and the football that we wan,t.

I see no reason to drop Cole just yet. I'm interested as to what your starting 11 would be. Mine would be not too dissimilar to what started on Saturday, although against Stoke I would have started Moses.

He makes some good observations but even he struggles to string a sentence together. The fact that he's currently a standout is all the more damning.

Another 'gem' from that imbecile Craig Burley after the Lescott header.

"Why are Arsenal zonal marking in their penalty area? Surely they should be man marking the Lescotts',the Kompanys' and the Aguerros' there!

Blimey,it's a wonder that Arsenal got a draw with all those extra City players on the pitch.

I see no reason to drop Cole just yet. I'm interested as to what your starting 11 would be. Mine would be not too dissimilar to what started on Saturday, although against Stoke I would have started Moses.

Sorry to say it but i see no place for Mikel, Lampard or Terry, Cole i,ll grant you doesn,t have to be replaced as yet but Bertrand is the future. My back 4 would be Bertrand Cahill Ivanovich Azpilicueta, midfield Ramires Moses Mata Oscar and Hazard and the frustrating Torres up front. Imho Edited by keithsimmonds

Wow what a game that was.Piazon who i had never seen before was excellent,Romeu made his first start and was also very good (tackling and distribution). Moses and Ramires were very strong and the new right back Azpilicueta had an excellent debut. It was all very positive,although Torres has a huge cloud hanging over him and i just don,t know what his problem is,the crowd were singing his name and baying for him to take the penalty,but he didn,t ,his choice or the teams choice i don,t know.He did score a good headed goal then missed a sitter 5 minutes later,so for me the jury is still out.What i saw last night gives me great hope for the future, the pace and the interplay was breathtaking at times with Mata pulling the strings and then Oscar when he came on but will Di Matteo play that team again on saturday? Not a .ucking chance.

Wow what a game that was.Piazon who i had never seen before was excellent,Romeu made his first start and was also very good (tackling and distribution). Moses and Ramires were very strong and the new right back Azpilicueta had an excellent debut. It was all very positive,although Torres has a huge cloud hanging over him and i just don,t know what his problem is,the crowd were singing his name and baying for him to take the penalty,but he didn,t ,his choice or the teams choice i don,t know.He did score a good headed goal then missed a sitter 5 minutes later,so for me the jury is still out.What i saw last night gives me great hope for the future, the pace and the interplay was breathtaking at times with Mata pulling the strings and then Oscar when he came on but will Di Matteo play that team again on saturday? Not a .ucking chance.

Good to see that you were at the game,Keith. Was the missus impressed? You seem to like Azpilicueta but the burning question is,has he got the pace to match someone like Walcott? As good a player as Ivanovic is,he is not and never will be a wing back. De Matteo has a decision to make against Arsenal on Saturday. Do we play a containing game and try to hit them on the counter or do we take the game to them with the young guns? If it's the former, he'll go for experience (and no pace) by playing Mikel in front of Terry and Luiz with Cole on the left and Bertrand covering him. On the right,it will be Ivanovic with Ramires protecting him. If it's the latter,it will be the game of the season.

I would take the game to them because you don't know what these lads will be like when the snow is on the ground and it's bitterly cold. Let's make hay while the sun shines!

Good to see that you were at the game,Keith. Was the missus impressed? You seem to like Azpilicueta but the burning question is,has he got the pace to match someone like Walcott? As good a player as Ivanovic is,he is not and never will be a wing back. De Matteo has a decision to make against Arsenal on Saturday. Do we play a containing game and try to hit them on the counter or do we take the game to them with the young guns? If it's the former, he'll go for experience (and no pace) by playing Mikel in front of Terry and Luiz with Cole on the left and Bertrand covering him. On the right,it will be Ivanovic with Ramires protecting him. If it's the latter,it will be the game of the season.

I would take the game to them because you don't know what these lads will be like when the snow is on the ground and it's bitterly cold. Let's make hay while the sun shines!

Yep Og the missus was impressed,and her camera was out before i had time to get a burger. She was impressed with Piazon,though she did think he was Oscar(easy mistake to make when your up in the gods). I think Cesar has the pace to match Walcott,but Di Matteo won,t be playing him on saturday.It won,t be the latter on Saturday and he,ll go for no pace and containment, what a pity!

Keith, I think you are right. It will be back to Mikel and Lampard on Saturday. Its a shame with the amount of dangerous attacking options we have now that we will have two players playing deep.

I'm looking forward to the future with our squad, but this transition could be much quicker than it is.

I'm suprised you didn't chose Luiz in your starting 11. For me, he is one of the few players we have that plays to the final whistle.

Gotta feel sorry for Seapok...the poor laddie ca't get a word in on this forum nowadays! biggrin.png

He never really got a word in before smokes, well not his own word anyway 23.gif

I think he's in the huff now Alfredo.

Or maybe he's off at a spiritual retreat discovering his own inner voice? :blink: